• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
good to know that whatever his next game is actually a Single Player title, the article is poorly researched

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
Whoever said that could have at least been a little more creative. "Game canceled because single player games don't sell" is already outdated.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
...with the company believing there was no longer a market for solo experiences.

Their source has to either have gotten their wires crossed or is straight bullshitting with this.

Because there is no way Google is that fucking stupid to actually believe that right? No market at all?

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
??
Well, one Phil (Harrison)'s fuck up, is another Phil (Spencer)'s gain as this is likely the same project MS just signed Kojima for.

Because obviously Game Pass is ONLY for GaaS titles, none of the games they promote at E3 are single player and Starfield was actually delayed because he demanded Todd add multiplayer into it

May 10, 2019
Since that cancelation, between its more recent PC and Xbox re-releases, Death Stranding has grown to be a well-regarded game with a full sequel now in the works. Beyond that, the enduring popularity of games like God of War, Marvel's Spider-Man, and Control shows that single-player games continue to be a core market, especially for platform exclusives

I'm sorry, did I miss something or is that quote saying Death Stranding was re-released on Xbox as well?

Bjorn

Feb 11, 2018
Denmark
Their source has to either have gotten their wires crossed or is straight bullshitting with this.

Because there is no way Google is that fucking stupid to actually believe that right? No market at all?
Google wanted their "exclusives" to implement and utilize the cloud and share features. Particularly Crowd Play - the feature that lets you join a session directly from a YouTube livestream.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Google has shelled out tens of millions of dollars to bring stuff like RDR2, Assasins Creed Valhalla, and Cyberpunk 2077 to the service. It's hard to believe they turned down an exclusive from a legendary producer like Kojima for such a frivolous reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Google wanted their "exclusives" to implement and utilize the cloud and share features. Particularly Crowd Play - the feature that lets you join a session directly from a YouTube livestream.

Which seems weird when they were spending 10's of millions of dollars to just get big AAA games on the service that didn't utilize their features beyond streaming.

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
LOL.

Look if Kojima comes to you and wants to make an exclusive for your system then the last thing you do is turn him down. Silliest news I've heard all week.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Phil's win streak continues.

phil-harrison-vp-gm-stadia.jpg

Stadia wasn't exactly popping off. I doubt a single kojima game would have changed that, so in retrospect this could have been a solid decision for them.

Probably would not have changed anything, but I would have tried it for a Kojima game.

Last edited:

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
Works out better for me this way, but let it be known that I would've entered the Stadia ecosystem purely for this game.

Not the best decision PhiL Harrison has ever made.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Phil's "single player games" blunder asides.

Stadia wasn't exactly popping off.
I doubt a single kojima game would have changed that, so in retrospect this could have been a solid decision for them.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
In fact, our source says it was that single-player nature of the game that led Google to cancel Stadia's collaboration with Kojima, with the company believing there was no longer a market for solo experiences.
DO NOT give Phil Harrison another job in this industry.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
DO NOT give Phil Harrison another job in this industry.
He will become the president of one of the three first parties next, that man can only fall upwards.

No, I got a better one. He will become president of Valve, and will make Steam a subscription service. Artifact Battle Royale by Jade Raymond will be the first game to launch with the service.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
It's amazing how much money they must have spent doing the first 50% for Stadia, only to realize that getting compelling content would also cost money and then bailing immediately.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia didn't make a single winning move.

OnLive launched by offering one in a selection of games for $1, so that people would try the service and input their payment information. It tried.

I have no idea what Stadia's strategy was. Take a swing, do something. Instead they followed in the footsteps of established consoles, just with a worse user experience. They spent tens of millions of dollars to offer the same games as other platforms at full price. Epic Games spent tens of millions of dollars to give users games for free.

If they didn't want an exclusive Kojima Productions game, and the inevitable Game Awards supported hype marketing, they should have wrapped it up then.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of whether it was a direct Death Stranding game or not, you don't say no to Kojima games. I haven't enjoyed any of his games but he has a very devout player base that will follow him to most platforms. Complete buffoonery over at Google.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure by follow-up, they mean "the next game to be released after". Not a DS sequel

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Stadia didn't make a single winning move.

Semi solid infrastructure and making QUIC the protcol were huge to in making people feel good about response granted their routing isn't shit.

QUIC is also now becoming the internet protocol for all the big tech companies FTR. It will replace TCP in the new few years and before the middle of the next decade.

They bungled a lot of other things these two areas were damn good. Not doing a proper queueing mechanism and no priorities bit them in the butt. None of these things were gonna change that crap subscription model which doomed the service if you ask me.

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
Phil's "single player games" blunder asides.

Stadia wasn't exactly popping off.
I doubt a single kojima game would have changed that, so in retrospect this could have been a solid decision for them.
I see it less as a solid decision and more like a natural decision based on their effort towards Stadia. If they actually gave a damn about developing the tech and getting people involved with it, this could have been a big deal. Not by itself, I agree with you, but the idea would be that they have a strong library with titles such as a Kojima exclusive. Stadia overall feels like it is either terribly managed or was just a short sighted money grab.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone needs a source to debunk this rumor, even though I think its pretty obvious, this is untrue.

Death Stranding 2 is in development (and for some insiders to know I'm not bullshitting about this in the future, its internal codename is Ocean), but Kojima has had a long standing deal with Sony on this, which is being analyzed if Sony and Kojima Productions should renew their contracts after DS2 or not at present, but was never in question before this due to a multi-game contract Sony and Kojima Productions have. But Death Stranding 2 itself was always plotted to be with Sony. I'm not going to say a single actual thing about the game itself, not now or in the future, so don't ask even if people figure out later I'm 100% telling the truth about the codename and contract stuff. But any murmurs about a DS2 with anyone other than Sony is bullshit. The deal with Xbox was never meant to be DS2, this rumor is just false, Sony and Kojima Productions have a multi-game contract that expires after DS2 and at present is being decided by both parties whether to continue their relationship or end it after DS2, and that is the truth.

Last edited:

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
I see it less as a solid decision and more like a natural decision based on their effort towards Stadia. If they actually gave a damn about developing the tech and getting people involved with it, this could have been a big deal. Not by itself, I agree with you, but the idea would be that they have a strong library with titles such as a Kojima exclusive. Stadia overall feels like it is either terribly managed or was just a short sighted money grab.
True true.
I agree with this take as well.

I also believe it's a reflection of current industry state, streaming isn't the defacto way of playing for a lot of people... Yet.
A service built a bit early, combining that with the lackluster library + Google usual efforts

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
If anyone needs a source to debunk this rumor, even though I think its pretty obvious, this is untrue.

Death Stranding 2 is in development (and for some insiders to know I'm not bullshitting about this in the future, its internal codename is Ocean), but Kojima has had a long standing deal with Sony on this, which is being analyzed if Sony and Kojima Productions should renew their contracts after DS2 or not at present, but was never in question before this due to a multi-game contract Sony and Kojima Productions have. But Death Stranding 2 itself was always plotted to be with Sony. I'm not going to say a single actual thing about the game itself, not now or in the future, so don't ask even if people figure out later I'm 100% telling the truth about the codename and contract stuff. But any murmurs about a DS2 with anyone other than Sony is bullshit. The deal with Xbox was never meant to be DS2, this rumor is just false, Sony and Kojima Productions have a multi-game contract that expires after DS2 and at present is being decided by both parties whether to continue their relationship or end it after DS2, and that is the truth.

Does Sony has some problems with Kojima? I wonder why they are not 100% on board with third possible project? And why they are deciding right now and not after the shipping of the second game?

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
wasn't the game developed with Google (now Microsoft) the episodic one?
It would be strange if that one could be described as a "Death Stranding follow up"

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Does Sony has some problems with Kojima? I wonder why they are not 100% on board with third possible project? And why they are deciding right now and not after the shipping of the second game?
Not really a problem, I won't get any further into what I've been hearing as that's frankly their business, but just in a broad scope there's both good reasons for them to either renew their contracts relationship or separate and move onto other things after DS2. To see whatever side their discussions end up on, though likely won't know the result for a long time unless someone else leaks it as I'm setting my line in the sand this is the most I'm going to say on DS2 (Still feeling out what I'm comfortable with sharing, I don't want much to do with the Kojima conspiracy nuts, though I am aware even posting what I did will attract some of that, but I'm positive I can take a no budge stance on this and just throw out the dirty bathwater if anyone's going to claim DS2 was anyone but Sony right now. But in the future, it'll depend on whenever both parties decide to pursue a further relationship or not).

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
What. They passed on a streaming exclusive Kojima title!

Think of what we could have had!

Screen_Shot_2019_07_03_at_2.32.41_PM.png

This is an obvious joke about streaming quality in my rural ol' part of England

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they will say this was Microsoft's fault by buying Bethesda and Activision.

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
Not really a problem, I won't get any further into what I've been hearing as that's frankly their business, but just in a broad scope there's both good reasons for them to either renew their contracts relationship or separate and move onto other things after DS2. To see whatever side their discussions end up on, though likely won't know the result for a long time unless someone else leaks it as I'm setting my line in the sand this is the most I'm going to say on DS2 (Still feeling out what I'm comfortable with sharing, I don't want much to do with the Kojima conspiracy nuts, though I am aware even posting what I did will attract some of that, but I'm positive I can take a no budge stance on this and just throw out the dirty bathwater if anyone's going to claim DS2 was anyone but Sony right now. But in the future, it'll depend on whenever both parties decide to pursue a further relationship or not).

Would imagine a good reason is Kojima being more interested in doing smaller projects than AAA games, which is what Sony wants.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

Can I make a thread on this?
Or you not comfortable?

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think the outlet mentioned here used the expression "Death Stranding follow-up" in the title just to gain some traction.

The game the article refers to is probably now the game Kojima is doing for Xbox, even though it is not clearly specified there, voluntarily or not.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Would imagine a good reason is Kojima being more interested in doing smaller projects than AAA games, which is what Sony wants.
Source on that being his primary interest?

Pretty normal for contracts to get reevaluated at their expiration.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Can I make a thread on this?
Or you not comfortable?
I'd prefer if you didn't, if that's okay with you. I understand if you or someone does, and thank you for asking, while I didn't really say anything earth shattering (honestly pretty basic stuff), I know how feverish some Kojima fans can get and over-thinking.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I'd prefer if you didn't, if that's okay with you. I understand if you or someone does, and thank you for asking, while I didn't really say anything earth shattering (honestly pretty basic stuff), I know how feverish some Kojima fans can get and over-thinking.
Of course I wont.
And you know I joke but I always ask.

Don't want to make a thread that will cause you problems or make you uncomfortable.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I would have also said no if it was something like Death Stranding...

Jokes aside: what an idiotic move. Even non gamers know what Kojima brings.

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
Source on that being his primary interest?

Pretty normal for contracts to get reevaluated at their expiration.

Just speculation. We had heard from him that he's interested in doing movies/shows, he started that podcast, has a smaller game with Xbox, etc. Just saying he might prefer to do more projects than keep hooked to another AAA franchise like he was with MGS. If what dusk is saying is accurate, that would explain why they already decided on this other than just waiting to see if DS2 will do well to continue the franchise or not. But again, just speculation on my part.

Hesdry

Oct 28, 2017
Brasil

Obrigado for the info!