• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Disney's recent endeavor in remaking every last classic they have in their backlog has been an immensely profitable one. Despite (primarily) backlash from critics, audiences are coming in droves to see classics like The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, and now Lion King recreated with a modernized, photorealistic aesthetic.

Disney then decide they're going to remake your favorite animated classic. What movie is it? Why would it suck to be recreated in a photorealistic style? It doesn't have to be a Disney movie, fyi, assume that Disney bought the rights to the company or property because they likely are going to do that at some point anyway.

My choice? Literally any Miyazaki movie:

3dka.gif

giphy.gif

source.gif

Seeing films like these recreated in a realistic setting would be an absolute fuck you to the integrity of the films as animated features, and to Miyazaki himself. The animated visuals provide so much character and charm to the world; you can look up "Miyazaki food," or "Miyazaki rain," and get hundreds of gifs showing his incredible vision for simple things like food and water! Recreating that as realistic would take away not only the charm of Miyazaki's vision, but the purpose of his portrayal of said concepts. Miyazaki enjoys highlighting the beauty of simple pleasures, and simplistic ideas in general. To take that aspect away from the films would be to strip them of a major part of their identity.

Show and discuss your favorite animated feature, and why it would make for a terrible transition to a live action or photorealistic aesthetic.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
ee6bdbfeca65146a_secret-of-NIMH.jpg

EDIT: "Mad" is a bit of hyperbole; I just don't think current trends in these styles of remakes would benefit or improve anything. Some peeps in here getting awfully disrespectful.

Last edited:

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I honestly can't imagine being angry about a film being made. The original work still exists and nobody can compel me to watch a film. Somebody wants to make a live action film of Fantasia? I don't have a problem with that.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mad? Nah.

Gimme Antz with real ants, A Bug's life with actual bugs and The Bee movie with actual bees.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017

The Triplets of Belleville is a movie that depends entirely on its visual storytelling. Imagine the climatic chase being done photorealistically.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Watership Down. Although maybe that's more horrified than pissed.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I dont't think these live action updates are saying "fuck you" the people who worked on the originals. What a weird take made even worse by getting mad about it.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Any Zelda story (going Zelda -> Movie or TV Series). Let's say Ocarina of Time so it can be a "remake."

Zelda is a whimsical, fantastical fairy tale and doing it in some "realistic" Game of Thrones/Lord of the Rings-esque style would miss all of the point.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Actually, a really safe, sanitized Disney's South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut would have the potential to be an amazing clusterfuck.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Well, I just don't think manga/anime works in live action at all. And it's not just Hollywood remakes that shit on the original works. Japanese live action versions aren't good either. I think the essential problem is that both magic and over-the-top costumes look silly and lame in films. For some reason it works in MCU films, but I think that's because silliness and lameness is part of their shtick.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I think some of Miyazaki's films could work in live-action actually. Mononoke, Castle in the Sky...
The odds of those remakes being good would be pretty low of course, but on a theoretical level, the very concept of it doesn't sound quite as useless as a photo-realistic Lion King remake even though I like those films a lot more than Lion King.

Edit:
Live-actions attempts at Wallace and Gromit or Nightmare Before Christmas would probably end up being spectacular trainwrecks.
And apparently, there might be plans for the latter? Ooh boy.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
images

The thought of how a Live Action version of this would turn out has already been answered anyway, it'll basically be as bad as this.

220px-Eragon_Teaser_Poster_10.jpg

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I'd ever get MAD if they did it... but I'd certainly have skepticism if they tried to make a live-action version of something like Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, or The Iron Giant.

Zac Dynamite

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing. Getting mad about this type of thing is silly and makes the person getting mad look silly. A remake of an old movie doesn't poof the original out of existence.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
3 caballeros with real birds,

world-greatest-cosplay-duck-dressed-as-donald-duck.jpg
but seriously all these remakes make me wonder if they just lack creativity or stock piling new ip's but then I realized it will just be more typical Pixar stuff.

I miss old Disney.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only way I would be mad about this is if destroying all copies of the animated original was part of the process.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It already happened.

It's called The Last Airbender.

And I didn't get pissed even when I saw the reviews. I just had a wrinkle of hope that there could be some form of entertainment out of it.

I was wrong.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
By the way, has anybody watched the Australian remake of the Japanese TV series Monkey? I thought the casting of Tripitaka, and the in-universe explanation of this young male Buddhist monk being very obviously a dazzlingly pretty young girl (which none of the other cast members notice) was a great tribute to Masako Natsume, the actress who was cast in this male role in the Japanese serial. It wouldn't have felt the same without the gender ambiguity that made the original show such fun to watch. They've also made Sandy, who was originally played by an actor who would sometimes cross-dress to appear in female form, an explicitly female deity played by an actress.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Disney's Transformers: The Movie might be good tbh
After Bumblebee, I would actually be hyped for it.

I'd be pissed about Emperor's New Groove. But it would be funny in all the wrong ways.

Also, Robin Hood. One, because that movie with photo realistic animals would make it very weird, and secondly because there doesn't need to be any kind of Robin Hood movie for at least a decade.

And any attempts at a live action Evangelion.

Last edited:

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Disney's Robin Hood.

The Miyazaki films are a superb choice, though. There'd be no way to translate them as beautifully.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None because I am not a petulant man child and know that the original will always be there if I want to see it.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't imagine being angry about a film being made. The original work still exists and nobody can compel me to watch a film. Somebody wants to make a live action film of Fantasia? I don't have a problem with that.

Yeah, this. The originals are still there. It doesn't change them, or make them cease to exist. Then sometimes, just sometimes, the remake/reboot is actually entertaining.

Hmm, this actually got me thinking about how I'd love to see a live action adaptation of The Black Cauldron. Loved that movie. Maybe when the current well runs dry...

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say Road to El Dorado but that could potentially be really fun so I'm gonna say Atlantis: The Lost Empire because all of my other choices exist (Kim Possible was gonna be the other choice)

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Popular remakes of classic films can absolutely have real-world consequences for the original

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I get mad? At worst it would get me to appreciate the original more.

Having said that, a photo real/ live action Grave of the Fireflies, if done perfectly, would break me.

OP
OP
Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Maybe pissed wasn't the best way to title the thread, but perhaps a better way to put what I'm getting at would be:

"Animated films that would be unnecessary to adapt to live action"

Mod request to change title?