• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The only way I would be mad about this is if destroying all copies of the animated original was part of the process.
Yep. Why get mad otherwise?

Maybe pissed wasn't the best way to title the thread, but perhaps a better way to put what I'm getting at would be:

"Animated films that would be unnecessary to adapt to live action"

Mod request to change title?

Well, in that case, all of them are unnecessary

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I don't have a real horse in this race, but I was thinking the other day how you just couldn't remake Disney's Robin Hood in anything approaching this new Lion King style. Could you make a Pixar/Disney Animation 3D version? Where it's still cartoon-y but brought into 3D? Sure. But trying to push it towards realism just kind of ruins it, since the characters are on the far end of the anthropomorphized spectrum (basically animals as humans, not just animals that can talk/emote).

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I think SpiderVerse would probably be... worse in a live action remake. So much of what they did was designed to celebrate comics and hand drawn art.

I think someone good could do some of Miyazaki's work. A live action Totoro would be neat, but a Disney made version sounds awful.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Live action stage versions of animated movies can be fantastic though, the Lion King being the prime example, that worked better than Frozen, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast or other animated movies with human characters that you would assume be easier to adapt. It's best when there is a different kind of abstraction entirely.

Zac Dynamite

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe pissed wasn't the best way to title the thread, but perhaps a better way to put what I'm getting at would be:

"Animated films that would be unnecessary to adapt to live action"

Mod request to change title?

But you were the one who said that it would be a fuck you to the integrity of the original filmmakers if they remade some of the movies you listed. You seem to have wanted this thread to be about getting pissed... why backtrack?

None of these movies are necessary. Not even the originals. Just watch and enjoy the movies you want to, and the rest will take care of itself. Hell, you may even find yourself liking some of them if you actually open yourself to it.

OP
OP
Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
But you were the one who said that it would be a fuck you to the integrity of the original filmmakers if they remade some of the movies you listed. You seem to have wanted this thread to be about getting pissed... why backtrack?
I'm not backtracking, I stand by what I said because I have an appreciation for original works standing on their own. The core of the thread being that you are generally upset or dissatisfied by the existence of a remake you perceive as unnecessary, bad, or disrespectful to the original source material.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Most of the Disney classics I've loved have already received the treatment. Beauty and the Beast was awful. It looks like Lion King is shit. Aladdin looks to be decent so I'll reserve judgement on that until after I see it.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
cowboy-bebop-2.jpg

not mad, just seems like a stupid idea.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
There is not a single movie that could be remade and I'd be mad about. What a stupid waste of anger. Such a trivial thing.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I have no problem with remakes of any kind. I do have a problem with the idea that a remake (or sequel, or prequel, spin-off, whatever) has to be "necessary". No piece of entertainment is "necessary". Labeling something as "unnecessary" is such a lazy dismissal.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh geeze could you imagine a Lion King style remake of Watership Down? It'd be the worst thing ever.

Also Thundercats.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'm not backtracking, I stand by what I said because I have an appreciation for original works standing on their own. The core of the thread being that you are generally upset or dissatisfied by the existence of a remake you perceive as unnecessary, bad, or disrespectful to the original source material.

Again the answer is no, but I appreciate you clarifying your intent. I know one of my kids gets angry when they mention The Wicker Man and somebody responds by imitating Nicholas Cage in the 2006 film and yelling "The bees." This is because my kid is invariably referring to the 1973 British film which is a classic of British horror (and arguably one of the best horror films of all time.) But that's not me. I watched both versions and enjoyed the American remake for a workmanlike attempt to translate the original to the American context. At the very least the Cage film exists as a marker or breadcrumb inviting horror enthusiasts to investigate Robin Hardy's film.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super.. iffy on the Akira movie. I know people have all the faith in the world in Taika (sp?), but this is a story that arguably even the anime film -- one of the greatest anime films of all time, mind -- failed to capture wholly simply due to logistical and time constraints. I get that these days we all think nothing is "unfilmable" thanks to CG, but that's the one thing that the original movie didn't have or abuse, so it doesn't really bolster the argument for Akira's sake. I am excited that they dumped that awful script, and that the cast will be all Asians actors, but man, this is gonna be tricky.

By the way, not at all pissed. I don't really get upset over people trying to take something I like and bring it back for a new audience, even if they fuck it up. The old thing still exists, and I consider old works immutable insofar as George Lucas is > 1000 miles away from the work. To that end, I'll be one of the first people lining up to see Akira when it releases in theaters, and I'll have a huge fucking smile on my face ... until I don't.

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be mad, but I have no idea how a live action Fantasia would work.

I know there was a live action Sorceror's Apprentice. But it was an adaptation only in name for the most part.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I wouldn't be mad, but I have no idea how a live action Fantasia would work.

I know there was a live action Sorceror's Apprentice. But it was an adaptation only in name for the most part.

Fantasia is about the music. Any live action cinematographer would love to have the chance to match those Stokowski performances or a modem equivalent to montage. It's like having a blank canvas to fill with your creative talent.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Any Anime related thing. They always looks stupid in live action . Anime designs are usually too out there to look good on real ppl. Like Ghost in the Shell has pretty grounded looking character designs and still looks dumb in live action. Even anime characters that are casted well will look stupid in live action.

If it was possible for a live action anime thing to not look dumb then I wouldn't be annoyed by them.

Last edited: