• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
im-54481

The smartphone surely belongs on the list of truly game-changing innovations, right there with indoor plumbing, penicillin and the thumbs-up. You can have mine when you pry it out of my cold, dead hand.

But what if we got smartphones wrong? Before the iPhone, cellphones had no single shape or size. You could buy phones shaped like candy bars, phones that flipped open, phones with full physical keyboards. Now every phone looks like the iPhone, which looks like every other phone—a dark rectangular slab.

As we invent new things to do with our phones, we need more space to do them. I get the logic—but it has gone too far. Some phones are now so large only NBA players can palm them. Developers have been forced to move important buttons and menus to the bottom of the screen where you can actually reach them. And every day you face a choice: Risk your phone slipping out of your hand and shattering on concrete, or put a case around it and make it even bigger.

As our phones grew in size and power, their purpose shifted. They became objects to look at and get lost in, not tools to be used. Their job is to keep you so busy you never look away. To that end, bigger and brighter far outweighs usable and easy.

I want it back the other way, and I'm not the only one. You know how I know? PopSockets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-10-a...ones-are-too-big-11550412000?mod=hp_lead_pos5

I remember when I first discovered these, I was shocked they were a thing. But I never went with bigger phones until recently with the XR, before that I had a 6S (non Plus variation).

While I do love the better cameras in bigger phones, I do miss being able to one hand phones comfortably. My hands are big enough to one hand an XR, but it's not as comfy as the 6S. I do hope Apple offers an updated 5S, but I doubt that since they're going after the luxury segment as volume sales are down.

Oct 30, 2017
Personally, the standard iPhone 8 is the perfect size phone for me. Not too big or too small. I see everything perfectly and I can handle it just fine in my hands.

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
My note 9 before and after I got a pop socket are... two different machines. As someone with tiny hands anyway, I will forever sing the pop socket praises.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I use an iPhone XR. I wish it was shorter to the point that when I watch a video, I don't have all this black screen to the sides.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The size of the non-plus iPhones is perfect, I don't get people using the 7, 8 or XS Plus, but oh well.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Pop socket's popularity is understandable, but that is a dumb ass conclusion to draw and gives off the tone that whoever wrote this never designed a single object/product/service in his life.

You don't get to just rationalize away the idea of trade-offs. Some people prefer bigger, some smaller

Last edited:

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
I owned an iPhone 6 + for like 4 years. Just got a Google pixel 3 (non xl) and whenever I go back and pick up my old iPhone I feel like what on God's Earth was I thinking? I have small hands cause I'm a small guy so having a phone I can actually hold was a game changer.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
As of about 2 weeks ago I upgraded from an old HTC One (M9) to a Samsung S9 plus, and I'm loving the big screen. I haven't even tried the one-handed mode yet. One surprising thing is that feels lighter in the hand than my old phone, better weight distribution I guess

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had one of those when I had a plus phone, but got rid of it when I got my XS. This thing is so much easier to hold, I can't see myself ever getting a larger phone again.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
These prove that food is too hot.

501529-now-designs-oven-mitt_basic_peacock.jpg
Lol

I have monster hands so if anything I prefer a bigger phone, need a bigger keyboard or everything becomes a garbled mess.

There's all sorts of cases, straps, things you put your finger through to keep your phone in place for phones because people will buy that sort of stuff when they first get a phone or will get one later if they actually need it. It is an industry after all, ultimately these things are helpful but they are also there to be sold for big profit margins.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My S3 feels tiny in my hands. But I have one because I can just place in between two fingers and don't have to grip the phone causing cramps. Plus it fun to spin my phone around with it.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
User Banned (2 days): Trolling and platform warring
oh look Steve Jobs and the apple fanbase was right all along, like they always are

Iphone 5 was the perfect size yet the garbage android market kept pushing for phablets. Now you have these ridiculous ipads people carry around and can't handle properly

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I have an S9+ and kinda wish I got a Note 9. Just for that tiny bit of extra screen. Or something else... For even more screen!

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
My iPhone X fits pretty darn perfect in my hand. Nothing I explicitly can't do. I did receive a pop socket with my companies logo on it and it's pretty neat. Has really helped me maintain function of my phone when I need it while having my daughter in my other arm during her unruly moments. Which is fucking often.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
oh look Steve Jobs and the apple fanbase was right all along, like they always are

Iphone 5 was the perfect size yet the garbage android market kept pushing for phablets. Now you have these ridiculous ipads people carry around and can't handle properly

Relax there fanboy. You still can buy small Android and Apple phones. The majority of people have shown they prefer bigger screens and the pop socket let's you have your cake and eat it to.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Fuuuuuuuck that small phone... my friend was forced to use one recently for a while... so tiny.

But seriously don't they still make small Iphones? As well as Android phones.

So what's the big deal? Or is it a small deal. :p

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who still rocks an iphone 5, the necessity of those stupid collapsable buttons was never clear to me until seeing this thread. Yeah, if you need this then the phone is just too big.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I have no problem using my Note 8. Fits my hands perfectly, and I don't need a pop socket either.

It's almost as if phones are catered to different people.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
I either have large hands or am using these wrong, because they've never improved my grip, even on large phones. They just feel awkward to me. The craze over these things truly baffles me.

Maybe it's because I don't use a bulky case (I don't use one at all)?

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
The XS is about the perfect size for me, and I have pretty big hands. Can't imagine how it is for people with smaller hands. I wish the SE kept being made as an alternative, since the 5 was my favorite phone ever, but that doesn't seem to be "what the market wants". All the small options are at a lower spec right now as far as I can see. The Sony compact models do look cool though.

cyress8

Avenger
As our phones grew in size and power, their purpose shifted. They became objects to look at and get lost in, not tools to be used. Their job is to keep you so busy you never look away. To that end, bigger and brighter far outweighs usable and easy.
These larger phones are a boon to us that need it for more than texting and can't constantly have a tablet on hand.

If I could not get another Samsung Note or large screen phone tomorrow. I would need to completely shift my workflow.
I use it to get costumer info, vehicle diagnostics, invoicing, etc, while constantly on the move. Pulling it out my pocket is a hell of a lot easier than keep tabs on a tablet.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Technology moved on and so did i with it but to this day whenever it happens that i take my old Galaxy S2 out of the closet i'm always surprised on how perfect its size is. Even considering its nowadays huge bezels you can easily handle it with one hand and the screen size seems enough to have all the informations at hand, i would be so intrigued by a high quality modern take of phones of that size.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the smaller iPhone X is perfect. I used the 7+ before and forgot how nice it was to actually be able to EASILY do every with one hand, and I have big hands