• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad phone screens became bigger and I can't ever see myself going smaller than the phone I am using now.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I got one because I take a lot of photos of animals one handed and things like a toy, leash, etc. in the other. I was able to take photos with my 6" 5T okay before, this just makes it more stable and means fewer attempts to get a good, clear one. I don't want a smaller phone and I don't need this to use it. It's also a nice stand which I use it for occasionally.

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
It's not too big if your phone has good gesture based control.

Good as in board stroke simple controls from iPhone/Oneplus/Xiaomi, not the button based ones from google.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Nah they aren't big enough. Never needed one of those weird plunger things on the back of the phone and I wish phones were bigger than the XS Max.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Develop some fucking finesse and learn to move your fingers and hand around a bit ffs. Or better yet, go buy a tiny ass phone, there's a ton of them available!

oh look Steve Jobs and the apple fanbase was right all along, like they always are

Iphone 5 was the perfect size yet the garbage android market kept pushing for phablets. Now you have these ridiculous ipads people carry around and can't handle properly

Had Apple stayed making these tiny phones only they'd now be a tiny company.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It's so bizarre seeing folks getting overly defensive about their bigger phones.: "I could never go back to a small phone."

...okay? Nobody is forcing you to. The problem is that for folks that prefer the smaller option, especially iPhone users, are being forced into larger phones without an option for a smaller device, and that's a damn shame.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
Develop some fucking finesse and learn to move your fingers and hand around a bit ffs. Or better yet, go buy a tiny ass phone, there's a ton of them available!

Had Apple stayed making these tiny phones only they'd now be a tiny company.
im-54481

The smartphone surely belongs on the list of truly game-changing innovations, right there with indoor plumbing, penicillin and the thumbs-up. You can have mine when you pry it out of my cold, dead hand.

But what if we got smartphones wrong? Before the iPhone, cellphones had no single shape or size. You could buy phones shaped like candy bars, phones that flipped open, phones with full physical keyboards. Now every phone looks like the iPhone, which looks like every other phone—a dark rectangular slab.

As we invent new things to do with our phones, we need more space to do them. I get the logic—but it has gone too far. Some phones are now so large only NBA players can palm them. Developers have been forced to move important buttons and menus to the bottom of the screen where you can actually reach them. And every day you face a choice: Risk your phone slipping out of your hand and shattering on concrete, or put a case around it and make it even bigger.

As our phones grew in size and power, their purpose shifted. They became objects to look at and get lost in, not tools to be used. Their job is to keep you so busy you never look away. To that end, bigger and brighter far outweighs usable and easy.

I want it back the other way, and I'm not the only one. You know how I know? PopSockets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-10-a...ones-are-too-big-11550412000?mod=hp_lead_pos5

I remember when I first discovered these, I was shocked they were a thing. But I never went with bigger phones until recently with the XR, before that I had a 6S (non Plus variation).

While I do love the better cameras in bigger phones, I do miss being able to one hand phones comfortably. My hands are big enough to one hand an XR, but it's not as comfy as the 6S. I do hope Apple offers an updated 5S, but I doubt that since they're going after the luxury segment as volume sales are down.
Apple was completely wrong

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I really wish phones would shrink just a bit. I have an iPhone XR and it's cumbersome. We've passed the point of diminishing returns on smartphone screen size. Until there is something functional for a bigger screen to add, there's just no point

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I really wish phones would shrink just a bit. I have an iPhone XR and it's cumbersome. We've passed the point of diminishing returns on smartphone screen size. Until there is something functional for a bigger screen to add, there's just no point

The lack of choice on the iPhone line is a damn shame. I'd probably be okay with the size of an iPhone XS, though it's still bigger than I'd ideally like, but the price is ridiculous. The iPhone XR, on the other hand, has a better price and up-to-date tech but it's just monstrous.

There's no real in-between. I'd like a 4" phone with the specs of the XR, and I'd even be willing to pay the price of the XR to obtain it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Wouldn't the iPhone X/Xs be a good size for you then? Its smaller than the Xr.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I have big meaty claws and I'd be okay with a phone smaller than my Galaxy S8. My big issue is I want something that's small with no bezels, and thick so it's got a good battery. So far I haven't found anything much better than the S8 for that.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
As much as I love my OnePlus 3T, I do miss the days of smaller phones. My first Android phone was a HTC Aria, and it was delightfully dinky.

http:///GWgd.jpg

Nah they aren't big enough. Never needed one of those weird plunger things on the back of the phone and I wish phones were bigger than the XS Max.

I hope you're ready to invest in some Jynco jeans then, because we're fast approaching a point where no other pant pockets will accommodate our massive phones.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I ever wish I got the XS Max is when I'm playing Fortnite, but other than that I'm very happy to have downsized when upgrading from my 6S Plus.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed the increasing phone sizes of smartphones. My first real good smartphone (non - Blackberry) was an HD2, which at the time was considered ridiculous for having a 4.3 inch screen. The next phone was a Note 2, again considered ridiculous. Then a Note 3, Note Edge and now Note 8. It's funny how the Notes were absolutely hammered in the first few years and now those screen sizes are the norm. Lots of comments about the Notes have not aged well given that trend.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the early 2000s when there was a competition among companies to make the smallest cell phone
giphy.gif

Early? Late 2000's I had a Juke, which was the coolest thing ever.

samsungjuke_1.jpg

7115_605.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I could NEVER go back because smartphones, but I'd totally be down for a small smart phone of a similar form factor.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
That disgusting thing on the back of the phone in the photo is a pop socket? And people pay money for that?

The fix for phones being too big is making them bigger?
How does the phone go in your pocket? do you have to attach/remove it every time? Does it force you to use a stupid clip instead of your pocket? does it ACT as the clip mechanism? Awful.

Posting from my Note 9, one handed. =p

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
It's so bizarre seeing folks getting overly defensive about their bigger phones.: "I could never go back to a small phone."

...okay? Nobody is forcing you to. The problem is that for folks that prefer the smaller option, especially iPhone users, are being forced into larger phones without an option for a smaller device, and that's a damn shame.

This is where I'm at. I'm still good with my SE, but not looking forward to when it becomes obsolete. I ride my bike to work, and keep my phone in my pocket, so anything larger starts to be a nuisance.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like big phones and I cannot lie. Although I'm always hesitant to put a popsocket or a ring on it, because it kind of ruins the ability for the phone to lay flat. It also messes with the wireless charging. Someday I'm sure someone will figure out a way to have it all.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It is funny. I've been on the larger phone train since the Droid X, but I'm specifically looking for a more "normal" size phone for my next so I can comfortably use it with one hand.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
My iPhone 8 is just about the perfect size. Whenever I next upgrade, I'm definitely sticking with the smaller model.

One thing I've noticed is that kind of counterintuitively, most of the small-phone diehards are men, while women seem to be more ok with phablets. I assume this is because men are keeping them in their pockets, where a big phone is trouble enough, and attaching a pop socket to it just worsens that, whereas when you're keeping it in a purse, why not have a big phone with a bulge on it? Also, an average-sized man can one-hand a roughly iPhone 8-sized phone, but needs to go two handed for larger ones, whereas an average-sized woman has to go with two hands for any phone on the market, so again, why not just go big?

croc

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis
I went from the iPhone 4 to the 6+ and was so excited to have a much bigger phone cause I have big hands. But after using it for 3 years I just got more and more annoyed from the size and was so excited to downsize to the regular 8 when it came out. My 8 feels like the perfect size now. Honestly I could maybe even do a tiny bit smaller.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to use my phone two handed. I guess the apple watch helps to reduce quick responses so I don't need as much one-handed use. My biggest issue is pocket size. For jeans I don't know how people manage with iphone plus size - my X is barely small enough to fit in a jeans pocket along with some coins in the coin pocket part. Any bigger it'd be popping out

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
iphone 5 was the perfect size for me
im very tiny so the small size of it suited me much better than my iphone 7
i wish apple would make phones in different sizes to suit the consumer but thats probably never happening.. maybe in the future or something. most of these phones are just too big for me

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
My 5" Pixel is perfect. There are very few moments where I wish it was smaller, but on all other moments I am glad it is the size it is. For phones that are bezeless, I guess somewhere up to 5.5" - 6" will be fine

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Would like a return to smaller phones. I have tiny hands and this whole big phone trend isn't my favorite. Ergonomics wise the best phones I've ever owned were the original Moto X and the One Plus X.

I hope you're ready to invest in some Jynco jeans then, because we're fast approaching a point where no other pant pockets will accommodate our massive phones.

You joke, but as a smaller guy this is starting to be a legitimate problem for me.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I downsized from iPhone 6s Plus to an iPhone X and I love it, don't want any Plus/Max sized phone next. That experiment is over for me. Screen size was great, but not worth the loss in practicality.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I bought an iPhone SE a month or two ago because I thought I'd be fine with a small phone like that, but NOPE!

Just like when I bought an iPhone 5 years and years ago and returned it after a week, that size phone is just too damn small for my fingers. Typing with any accuracy is incredibly difficult, and just tapping on things like links or app buttons is very hard to no the first try. Plus you get so little content on screen when browsing the web.

I still wanted to downsize from my XS Max so I picked up an iPhone 8 and it really is a fantasticly sized phone. I can hold it one handed much easier, it still fits a good amount of content on screen, and typing isn't terrible.

Only problem is that I'm still finding it hard to go back to a 720p LCD screen compared to the XS Max. The Max is just so stupidly crisp and watching videos on my phone is just so much more pleasant to me on a larger screen that I think I might actually end up selling the 8.
I probably should have just gotten a regular sized XS in the first place, that probably would have been my sweet spot.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I hate big phones. I'm happy with my Xperia Z5 Compact (with its 4.6 in screen), and I still miss my Xperia M. Anything bigger would be terrible. And yeah, phones have the same basic design nowadays. It's a shame, because there were some great designs before the smartphone age - you had models to cater to all tastes.

If I change my phone in the future, it will be either to an Xperia Compact phone or a Blackberry to take advantage of the keyboard. To those saying only old people like small phones, flock off. Some of us simply don't like having a phone that is bigger than our hands and completely uncomfortable.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
And every day you face a choice: Risk your phone slipping out of your hand and shattering on concrete, or put a case around it and make it even bigger.
I remember when I first discovered these, I was shocked they were a thing. But I never went with bigger phones until recently with the XR, before that I had a 6S (non Plus variation).

While I do love the better cameras in bigger phones, I do miss being able to one hand phones comfortably. My hands are big enough to one hand an XR, but it's not as comfy as the 6S. I do hope Apple offers an updated 5S, but I doubt that since they're going after the luxury segment as volume sales are down.
To me, a case is pretty much a requirement with modern phones. Drop protection, added grip and being able to rest a phone screen-side-down should you need to (I'm one of those weirdos who won't use a screen protector). I'm pretty satisfied with my $25 Speck XR case. Lots of grip, good buttons, minimal added bulk. A pop socket doesn't really fit into how I use my phone, but I see the benefit, especially for those going without a case.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
the next big innovation jump will be seperating the phone functionality into two or three discrete bits. First the basic core, all the processing, GPU, etc guts into a cube which you can keep in your pocket or eventually just somewhere on your body like around your stomach or whatever as a flat thing you slap on as you dress in the morning and don't touch until you go to bed again. Second will be detached video/audio that works wirelessly with the core, some will prefer stuff like smart contacts and others will want big deployed virtual screens or some other crazy configs.

can't wait for that.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
My current phone with a 5.2 inch screen is on it's last leg, and I'm dreading getting a 6+ inch phone. My sister sent me a photo of her holding her new phone and I accused it of being shopped, that thing was so huge. I should have bought a bigger house.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I'm perfectly fine with my note 8, it's large but I don't see any issues with that. Fits in my pocket, can be held fine, big enough for anything I want to do on it. Don't really see a problem with bigger devices.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
My current phone with a 5.2 inch screen is on it's last leg, and I'm dreading getting a 6+ inch phone. My sister sent me a photo of her holding her new phone and I accused it of being shopped, that thing was so huge. I should have bought a bigger house.
If it helps, the Xperia XZ2 Compact has a 5" screen. Its only big negative is that it doesn't have a haedphone jack.