• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Next we'll have 15 year olds declaring they're 21 so they can legally drink. Because they "feel" 21.

This is dumb. There's no way a court of law will ever agree with this fluid nonsense.

Oct 27, 2017
"The whole fluid gender and transgender people thing is obviously bullshit for attention, so imma troll them and do the same and claim I can be anything! Lol!"

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Woo, I can finally be twenty again, and work even longer to ever be able to retire!

Emile Ratelband? Fuck him. Infamous Dutch trash. Had his own far right political party.

He's trolling hard and some of you are too gullible to see that.

Also this, I was wondering if I'm the only one who remembered him.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Sure, go for it.

Outside someone claiming they are older so they can drink and someone being a creep/perv and saying they are younger to date an underage kid, what's the big deal with saying you are a different age?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So he's being flippant to a ridiculous degree to dismiss people.

Great, thanks for your input mate.

Nick C

Oct 25, 2017
MT
I guess you could argue that if you have the mental and biological age of someone younger it could work? And by argue I don't mean what this dude claims, I mean actual data to back it up. Is he going through any sort of therapy to effectively refund the last twenty years of his life, biologically speaking? Are there doctors that would back up his claims?

The claim presented here sounds absurd, but can you apply the arguments being made in this thread against this guy to something like transgernderism(is this a word?) and still retain the same position that you currently hold while remaining logically consistent?

To be clear, I think he's arguing in bad faith. I'm approaching this as more of a thought experiment to test my world view. He's probably just the world's oldest channer, who also wants to fuck younger women.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I just turned 30, but I don't feel like being 30 so I'm gonna be 20 instead.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Transphobic piece of garbage. Fuck him, and fuck papers like Washington Post for giving him so much as the time of day to spread his garbage.

Of course, not surprised to see people already jumping at the bit to use him to try and be clever to justify their own transphobia, just like people did with Rachel Dolezal from the moment they first her found out about her and thought they were being oh-so-clever there as well; it's literally the same nonsense. Just makes it easier for me to know who's not even worth bothering with based on who bites just as with her though, I suppose.
Emile Ratelband? Fuck him. Infamous Dutch trash. Had his own far right political party.

He's trolling hard and some of you are too gullible to see that.

Some more information about this person:

Had his own racist political party
Had tea and cosied up with the lovely Erdogan
Was convicted for abusing his ex-girlfriend
Believes in Phrenoology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology)
I see. Not surprised by any of this. When there's one kind of fuckery going on, there's usually more right where that came from. Again, absolutely fuck this guy, 100%

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I'm forty and look sixteen, but requesting that the state change my age to that would never enter my head (or even any other younger age). This guy is off his rocker. You are as young as you feel, but that doesn't mean your body is as young as you want it to be. He's not asking to change a controversial opinion, he's asking to change a stated fact.

Bizarre.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Any other Dutch people cracking up about the fact the article states that Arnhem is southeast of Amsterdam, like it's a suburb.. I guess they're technically not wrong, still amusing to see that phrase.

To non-dutchies, don't pay attention to this dipshit. We certainly don't.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I guess you could argue that if you have the mental and biological age of someone younger it could work? And by argue I don't mean what this dude claims, I mean actual data to back it up. Is he going through any sort of therapy to effectively refund the last twenty years of his life, biologically speaking? Are there doctors that would back up his claims?

The claim presented here sounds absurd, but can you apply the arguments being made in this thread against this guy to something like transgernderism(is this a word?) and still retain the same position that you currently hold while remaining logically consistent?

To be clear, I think he's arguing in bad faith. I'm approaching this as more of a thought experiment to test my world view. He's probably just the world's oldest channer, who also wants to fuck younger women.

Age is just a number. He can feel as old or young as he wants. But the fact that he wants a new number, but can't even settle on which one he wants, is telling to how disingenuous his comparison to transgender individuals is. It's clearly an argument made in bad faith, specifically to denigrate transgender people.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
The guy is a self-help guru. Companies pay him to be a motivational speaker. Showed up on Dutch TV a lot, starred in ads for random consumer products. Loud and obnoxious. Thought very little of him. Thought even less of him when it was clear he was a racist fuck with far right sympathies.

Nick C

Oct 25, 2017
MT
Age is just a number. He can feel as old or young as he wants. But the fact that he wants a new number, but can't even settle on which one he wants, is telling to how disingenuous his comparison to transgender individuals is. It's clearly an argument made in bad faith, specifically to denigrate transgender people.
Absolutely. I think it's a bad argument and he's a piece of shit. I was just pondering why it was a bad argument.

Oct 25, 2017
self-proclaimed centrists when right wingers denigrate the humanity of trans people: "hmmmm how interesting, i'll have to think about this one, thank you for your contribution to the marketplace of ideas"

self-proclaimed centrists when left wingers insult right wingers in response for their bigotry: "civility is dead?? how dare you insult this intellectual just for having an opinion???? didn't anyone ever tell you that it's wrong to judge people based on how they identify??"

in a flip of their classic line, i'm gonna have to ask the moderates who selectively ask people to disavow radical views to please disavow these pretend moderates, or else that makes them a radical too

Last edited:

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017

Well stated!

Also, why don't they just let him change his age to 49? You can disqualify his entire argument by saying "sure dude, do what you want" then let him sleep in his wet blanket.

Then IMMEDIATELY disqualify him from medicaid benefits LOL.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
C604TeFV0AA3NBX.jpg

the fact that this isn't first post, depresses me.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol this is a self-own. You'd want it to be the other way around. Imagine how impressed people would be if you were "100" and had the physique of a 25 year old.

Oct 25, 2017
I consider myself a progressive person, I'm all for recognizing gender and sexual orientation in non-binary ways, for example.
But honestly, we've over compensated so much over these past few years, I feel things like these were a matter of time.
At some point we need to start acknowledging biology for what it is, otherwise we are all not too different from those climate change deniers out there.
The organizational-activational hypothesis as the foundation for a unified theory of sexual differentiation of all mammalian tissues.

Back to the Future: The Organizational-Activational Hypothesis Adapted to Puberty and Adolescence

Sexual differentiation of the human brain in relation to gender identity and sexual orientation

Now you can go forth and acknowledge the biology of transgender people existing for what it is. :)

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao why did the Washington Post even entertain this nonsense? I guess I'm 22 and single with no kids and am about to holla at a Court clerk.

Probably because they are a ton of transphobic people everywhere who love to use proxy stories to belittle trans people because they know they can't get away with over transphobia as much anymore

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. I think it's a bad argument and he's a piece of shit. I was just pondering why it was a bad argument.
It doesn't seem like you are though? You gave your list of potential reasons that might make his claims reasonable, then challenged everyone else to apply their own arguments against him to trans people and see if they held up (as if they would.)

It's a poor argument because he is likening age to name and gender for the sole reason that they are all in the group "things that appear on your birth certificate" when they are actually three completely different kinds of things. It's not a complex issue. This isn't an intellectual discussion that requires pondering.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I consider myself a progressive person, I'm all for recognizing gender and sexual orientation in non-binary ways, for example.
But honestly, we've over compensated so much over these past few years, I feel things like these were a matter of time.
At some point we need to start acknowledging biology for what it is, otherwise we are all not too different from those climate change deniers out there.

Nobody is over compensating, this dude isn't serious and no one is taking him seriously

This is all song and dance to mock trans people

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This is absurd. Age is a physical status determined by your trips around the sun. It is nothing to do with how you feel or how you identify yourself.

Not to derail, but I think a more interesting discussion would be whether or not it's acceptable for people to identify as a different race. It's always kind of bothered me how Rachel Dolezal was demonized and how similar the rhetoric was to discounting people who identify as a gender that doesn't match their chromosomes. "She has a mental illness" or "You can't change biology", etc. I'm sure there are many people online who perhaps portray themselves as belonging to another race, and assuming they aren't promoting negative stereotypes, is this necessarily wrong? Is the line drawn at changing one's physical appearance to more closely resemble a different race? Why? Maybe I should just make a separate thread...

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Can you elaborate on

"At some point we need to start acknowledging biology for what it is"

please?

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
People in here seem to be thinking the guy is serious. This guy is just trying to discredit trans people in the same way as those comments like "I identify as an attack helicopter" he is entirely not serious and also a piece of shit

I started to write a big response, but honestly you nailed it so I'll just +1 this. Fuck this conservative asshole and his childish, petty games.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
There's a sense in which we already understand "age" as a fluid concept. People can be "old souls" or "young for their age." "You're only as old as you feel" is a common aphorism.

But that's obviously not the same thing as intersex or transgender people. "Date of birth" doesn't exist on a continuum with multiple overlapping and varied contributing factors.

This guy is a lazy and obvious troll.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is absurd. Age is a physical status determined by your trips around the sun. It is nothing to do with how you feel or how you identify yourself.

Not to derail, but I think a more interesting discussion would be whether or not it's acceptable for people to identify as a different race. It's always kind of bothered me how Rachel Dolezal was demonized and how similar the rhetoric was to discounting people who identify as a gender that doesn't match their chromosomes. "She has a mental illness" or "You can't change biology", etc. I'm sure there are many people online who perhaps portray themselves as belonging to another race, and assuming they aren't promoting negative stereotypes, is this necessarily wrong? Is the line drawn at changing one's physical appearance to more closely resemble a different race? Why? Maybe I should just make a separate thread...

No. No. No.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Some more information about this person:

Had his own racist political party
Had tea and cosied up with the lovely Erdogan
Was convicted for abusing his ex-girlfriend
Believes in Phrenoology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology)
Damn, that's some vintage, 1800's style racism. Maybe he should claim he's actually 169.

This is like the gender version of "I'm not racist but..."

Nick C

Oct 25, 2017
MT
It doesn't seem like you are though? You gave your list of potential reasons that might make his claims reasonable, then challenged everyone else to apply their own arguments against him to trans people and see if they held up (as if they would.)

It's a poor argument because he is likening age to name and gender for the sole reason that they are all in the group "things that appear on your birth certificate" when they are actually three completely different kinds of things. It's not a complex issue. This isn't an intellectual discussion that requires pondering.
Well then I should be clearer in explaining why his arguments are bad. Admittedly, you've outlined most of the issues that I see in it. He's taking the end result, the change information on an official ID, and asking why it can't be done for other things like age. Anyone who will see this as a sort of "gotcha" is only approaching this at a surface level. They aren't engaging with the subject at the required level. They're not taking into account the biological or psychological reasons why trans people exist. It's not because they felt like they needed to spice up their life a bit.

Your date of birth? Something that you're born with. Your name? Something given to you at birth. Your gender? Something that you're born with.

The first is an undeniable fact. That was the day that you were brought into this world. The second is something so arbitrary that it can be changed with little repercussion, right? And third, sex is a grouping that can best describe your current gender. At birth, they identify by outward appearance. As you live you life, you may find that you better identify as the opposite sex. That's what the ability to change this is in place for. Unless I'm woefully mistaken?

I was originally approaching this as more of a look into the possibilty of changing your biological age. Even in that case, would a change on an official ID really be necessary? I mean, it still wouldn't change when you were born.

Like I posted earlier, I look at this more of a way to test my internal consistency than actually trying to legitimize this dude's argument.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

There are studies that show the brains of trans people actually align more with their identity than their birth sex. There is also a study that shows how male to female transitioning people are more likely to have a longer version of a receptor gene that reduces the gene's ability to bind testosterone. And these are just two examples.

The difference is that trans women ARE women, and the science is showing us this. It's not about "feeling" female and choosing to identify as female for a male to female trans person, it's about BEING female.

Dolezal may identify with black culture and people more, but that's all it is. An affinity, not an identity that she cannot escape.

As a white women she chose to adopt black skin and culture as her own, trans people don't have that choice they just are.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's not a more interesting discussion at all because it misses the point entirely on why trans identities are real. We aren't just making it up, and we have doctors and scientific evidence backing us up that our identities are real. I want you to read through the stuff I've put here before (https://www.resetera.com/threads/transgender-101.25656/) just because I don't feel like copy and pasting it over, and then I want you to sit here and tell me how you think this comparison is anything real and not insulting to both trans people and the communities who have their race made fun of by people like her. And by that I mean, I want you to realize why these things aren't comparable and why it upsets us when people constantly bring her up as well as pull stunts like the man in the OP. And to answer your question, yes it is wrong. 100%.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And now to wait for creeps with the defense "but to me, she really was a 1000 years dragon".
It's gonna be a no from me.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Age numbers are a human construct but this is clearly just done as an attack on the trans community.