• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned I would do this. Been wrapped up in Sekiro, but my revised lists post platinum:

Top 10 Favorite Bosses:

1) Orphan of Kos - Just epic, super intense.
2) Blood-Starved Beast - I had such a feeling of accomplishment when I bested him, most fun boss to parry IMO too.
3) Ludwig - Maybe the most intense boss fight, and when you face him you know the DLC is going to be on another level. Awesome cut-scene and design.
4) Lady Maria - Epic duel of two Hunters, great character design and backstory.
5) Watchdog (defiled) - Seemed impossible and requires patience and precision, but amazing feeling of accomplishment.
6) Gehrman - I really liked playing the Hunter type bosses.
7) Martyr Logarius - Magic and parrying, difficult but fun.
8) Amygdala - Well designed and interesting. Easy in main game, hard as hell in Defiled.
9) Headless Bloodletting Beast - Very difficult, but tremendous feeling of accomplishment after beating, my favorite Big beast type boss.
10) Father G - I loved the fight and the backstory of this boss.

Top 10 Most Difficult Bosses (for me - didn't do Lower Loran and DLC done prior to NG+):

1) Defiled Amygdala - It just requires so much precision and patience, had to cheese this boss more than any other by provoking her to jump in 3rd phase, but just getting to 3rd phase takes a while with the potential of being one-shotted on 50% health, and the 'cheese' wasn't easy to pull off.
2) Headless Bloodletting Beast - So aggressive and I really don't do well if I can't lock on. Thank goodness of Old Hunters Bone in 2nd phase.
3) Defiled Watchdog - So much precision required and you mess up once and you can be one shotted on 50% health. Particularly with the charge that has crazy hitboxes.
4) Pthumarian Descendent - Super aggressive, boomerang attack sucks, needed some lucky parrys to finish off.
5) Ebrietas - Easier with the trunk rotating strategy, very difficult to fight straight up, with heavy damaging attacks, frenzy inducing crap, and then summons in the last phase.
6) Rom - Relative to when I fought her she was probably the biggest wall for me in main game.
7) Ludwig - not as bad if you match aggression with aggression. But if you are dodging forward rather than backward it makes a big difference to get to second phase - which ain't easy, maybe I just had a good run.
8) Blood-starved Beast - Relative to when you play him, this was my first wall as I go by Father G with the music box first time out.
9) Abhorrent Beast - And I didn't fight the worst version maybe, but I hated this guy everytime I fought him. Super aggressive, difficult to figure out a pattern.
10) Laurence - I mean he's really not that bad, I almost got him on first run and then like 12 or so runs later I took care of him no problem.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
You know who I hate? Pthumerian Descendant. Fuck him and his boomerang.
I can at least parry the fucker and reliably get behind him.
1) Defiled Amygdala - It just requires so much precision and patience, had to cheese this boss more than any other by provoking her to jump in 3rd phase, but just getting to 3rd phase takes a while with the potential of being one-shotted on 50% health, and the 'cheese' wasn't easy to pull off.
100% in agreement. I think she took me 20+ tries and being at lvl 200 or something.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
Finished this game up over the weekend after playing for about the past two weeks. It was awesome! Really glad I skipped the chalice dungeons though now that I'm learning there is stuff harder than Orphon of Kos. That boss was almost too much for me, somehow managed to beat it and I'm convinced I just got lucky. Never fighting it again.

Jan 3, 2019
I can at least parry the fucker and reliably get behind him.
Both of those guys are up there in terms of the most aggressive bosses in the game. They just don't let up. PD is pretty easy to get into his second phase one you get the dodge forward right thing down in his first phase. After that for me it was really about spamming my gun looking of viscerals.

See that's my problem, I'm just terrible at parrying.

My strategy for him is using executioner's gloves for a stun and then using the Forward+R2 move. Works well once you get the rhythm right.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just beat this game and the DLC last night after years of trying the game and quitting an hour in.

I get it now, this game is incredible and I'm already on my second playthrough. I didn't think the game was too hard (esp. after playing Sekiro) except for the last couple bosses in the DLC, which were ridiculously hard. Pretty sure I got lucky for the very last one.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat this game and the DLC last night after years of trying the game and quitting an hour in.

I get it now, this game is incredible and I'm already on my second playthrough. I didn't think the game was too hard (esp. after playing Sekiro) except for the last couple bosses in the DLC, which were ridiculously hard. Pretty sure I got lucky for the very last one.

I think like Sekiro it just has a hard early learning curve, but you reach a point where it starts to click and the difficulty levels off a bit.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
After ending Sekiro I decided to pick up Bloodborne again since I had never started the DLC. Cleared everything again till Wet Nurse and then started the Old Hunters stuff at around level 75. HOLY SHIT at Ludwig. I died for 2 hours straight before I said fuck it and summoned that confederate dude to help me. Was super easy after that, but now I feel so hollow. Maybe I should have kept at it solo. Ugh... :(

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Valtr is really strong i beat Ludwig on my first try when i summoned him

the fucking Shark dudes though killed me more then most bosses

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
After ending Sekiro I decided to pick up Bloodborne again since I had never started the DLC. Cleared everything again till Wet Nurse and then started the Old Hunters stuff at around level 75. HOLY SHIT at Ludwig. I died for 2 hours straight before I said fuck it and summoned that confederate dude to help me. Was super easy after that, but now I feel so hollow. Maybe I should have kept at it solo. Ugh... :(

I was more leveled taking on Ludwig, but I found dodging forward is the key to Phase 1 and then its just a matter of dodging around the projectiles in Phase 2 and finding room/time to heal when you can.

I found the chalice dungeon bosses, Defiled Watchdog and Amy, and Pthumerian Descendent and Headless Bloodletting beast to be the most difficult bosses I faced, more than the DLC, but I played the DLC prior to NG+.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

What do you think about difficulty versus Sekiro?

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
What do you think about difficulty versus Sekiro?
I find Bloodborne way harder. It just feels more sluggish and clunky compared to Sekiro, which I played and beat on a high-end PC. And before that I played Dark Souls 3 also on the PC and Nioh on the PS4 Pro at 60 fps. Getting used to the frame-pacey mess that is Bloodborne took some adjustment on my side. Still love the game to bits and it's probably my favorite from this bunch, but I still suck at it more than the others for sure and I really think the sluggish feel + huge ass bosses that seem to move way too fast are just a bad combo for me to handle.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Where the fuck are the bonfires in this game

Every other souls game you can get to one in a reasonable amount of time. This game is a maze, with overpowered monsters

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Every other souls game you can get to one in a reasonable amount of time. This game is a maze, with overpowered monsters
Which area are you in? The first one, Central Yharnam, honesly leaves a bad first impression with how strong some enemies are, how many of the easier mobs are clustered together and how much of a maze the area is. The rest of the game is more reasonable in that regard. The first area only has one real lamp (not counting the bosses), but it is designed in such a way that it is the only one you need because of all the shortcuts leading back to it.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Just started Bloodborne for the first time. I have been trying to fucking beat Father whatever his fuck his name is and I can't do it. Probably like four hours worth of me preparing and losing. I've leveled up, I (was) stocked on blood vials, I've got my weapon upgraded. I've tried beating him with several weapons, in fact.

I can get him down to his last fucking phase but then he just....ughufhfhushdhddh. I can't even move. I keep getting stuck between the fucking gravestones and it honestly makes me want to break my game disk.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I just suck? Should I give up now? The game is fine. I'm just convinced that I'm garbage.

(I'll be updating this thread as I play through the game as I'm sure to continue to be pissed off)

EDIT: Finally best that fuckface Daddy G. I'm in the Cathedral Ward now.

EDIT 2: Amelia sucks. Witches are dead
My suggestion is sleep. I mean try to rest for a bit and then play again. Perception clouds your judgement and clouds the way you play. i always do that when i got stuck at one boss. Recently i got stuck at HK, so i slept on it and came back tomorrow and i could beat the boss

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Bloodborne is much more opening shortcuts back to a lantern, not just stumbling across another, that usually means you are in a new area or killed a boss, though some exceptions, where a area will have 3 or so lanterns.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
0019.jpg

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
So last time I played I got to some old dude on top of this snowy castle (can't remember his name) and I kept dying

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Is it just me, or do the Chalice Dungeons give you an insane amount of experience?

I got to Orphan of Kos and decided to start Chalice Dungeons and I had no idea that they were secretly the best part of the game. In a few days, I'm at some Loran Chalice and I'm getting tons of experience beating random mobs.

But man, I beat the Blood-Starved Beast in the Chalice Dungeon in my third try, and I could tell that I improved so much playing this game. I would have never been able to be that calm and collected even 50 hours into the game. I was pretty proud of my performance after that lol. I then took on Orphan of Kos and took him down on my third try as well.

Doing the Chalice Dungeons made me a bit OP (at level 110 now), but I think I'm pretty comfortable with Bloodborne now. F those Shark Giants though. I just wish there was more to this game since I'm going to do the final boss of the main game and be done with it. I think The Old Hunters is the most fun I've had playing a game in like a decade or something. Maria is where the game peaked for me.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Which area are you in? The first one, Central Yharnam, honesly leaves a bad first impression with how strong some enemies are, how many of the easier mobs are clustered together and how much of a maze the area is. The rest of the game is more reasonable in that regard. The first area only has one real lamp (not counting the bosses), but it is designed in such a way that it is the only one you need because of all the shortcuts leading back to it.
No I'm passed that. I killed some wolf boss and now apparently some strong enemies have been summoned to my game. I'm at the cathedral of oedon? Just exploring. Confusing game

Jun 22, 2019
The game isn't great when it comes to figuring out where to go, especially when you can do a lot of things in different orders and hit "dead ends."

I had to use a YouTube guide a few times just to figure out where I'm supposed to head to next.

I still have to come back and do the DLC because I got burned out on having to farm blood vials and stopped playing. I also feel like I never learn to properly parry because I end up not wanting to waste ammo, as it's bad enough already without blood vials.

Mar 11, 2019
The game isn't great when it comes to figuring out where to go, especially when you can do a lot of things in different orders and hit "dead ends."

I had to use a YouTube guide a few times just to figure out where I'm supposed to head to next.

I still have to come back and do the DLC because I got burned out on having to farm blood vials and stopped playing. I also feel like I never learn to properly parry because I end up not wanting to waste ammo, as it's bad enough already without blood vials.
I think that is also part of the appeal for many, you have different routes to take and does not hold your hand with the direction to choose as with many more linear games who often include maps to pin point quest locations.

However I do agree that if you want to discover all the bosses and locations and/or want to platinum it you do indeed require a guide that keeps spoilers to the minimum.

Is it just me, or do the Chalice Dungeons give you an insane amount of experience?

I got to Orphan of Kos and decided to start Chalice Dungeons and I had no idea that they were secretly the best part of the game. In a few days, I'm at some Loran Chalice and I'm getting tons of experience beating random mobs.

But man, I beat the Blood-Starved Beast in the Chalice Dungeon in my third try, and I could tell that I improved so much playing this game. I would have never been able to be that calm and collected even 50 hours into the game. I was pretty proud of my performance after that lol. I then took on Orphan of Kos and took him down on my third try as well.

Doing the Chalice Dungeons made me a bit OP (at level 110 now), but I think I'm pretty comfortable with Bloodborne now. F those Shark Giants though. I just wish there was more to this game since I'm going to do the final boss of the main game and be done with it. I think The Old Hunters is the most fun I've had playing a game in like a decade or something. Maria is where the game peaked for me.

There is more to it, and that can be found in the chalice dungeons with many unique bosses. But you should not overlevel, there is a "meta" level for pvp which is around 100-120. This level range will give you a proper challenge when going into the level 4 and 5 chalice dungeons on your route to the pthumerian queen. I enjoyed the chalice dungeons and added allot (including play time) to the game and at the same time being optional.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
No I'm passed that. I killed some wolf boss and now apparently some strong enemies have been summoned to my game. I'm at the cathedral of oedon? Just exploring. Confusing game
Wait, summoned? As in: online enemies? I have only encountered one area where that happens automatically, which is way later in the game.

The area progression is Central Yharnam -> Tomb of Oedon (boss battle) -> Cathedral Ward. So I take it you are there now. There are some giants there and a few ogres, but it is generally much more manageable than Central Yharnam because you don't get mobbed so much by the townsfolk anymore. Make sure to parry those regular church dudes, their parry window is huge and viscerals kill them in one hit.

If parrying is still difficult, try to dedicate some time to learning it. You don't need to parry every enemy in the game, but it is the best way to deal with enemies like ogres and those werewolves.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Wait, summoned? As in: online enemies? I have only encountered one area where that happens automatically, which is way later in the game.

The area progression is Central Yharnam -> Tomb of Oedon (boss battle) -> Cathedral Ward. So I take it you are there now. There are some giants there and a few ogres, but it is generally much more manageable than Central Yharnam because you don't get mobbed so much by the townsfolk anymore. Make sure to parry those regular church dudes, their parry window is huge and viscerals kill them in one hit.

If parrying is still difficult, try to dedicate some time to learning it. You don't need to parry every enemy in the game, but it is the best way to deal with enemies like ogres and those werewolves.
I'm alright when it comes to parrying, I feel like the window is similar to dark souls 1.Heck it might be even easier. I'm not too sure compared to ds3 as I used twin blades

I parried my way through the entire fight with the blood starved beast, which is the boss that I'm assuming brought those strong enemies with the big bags to life.

I've made lots of progress through the cathedral ward. Very confusing was of progressing but I think I've got the hang of it now

One thing I've noticed is that it seems as though I can't party all enemies, do I need a shotgun or something for some of the bigger ones?

I still don't really understand the guns and stuff in this game. Shields are easier to follow

Last edited:

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm alright when it comes to parrying, I feel like the window is similar to dark souls 1.Heck it might be even easier. I'm not too sure compared to ds3 as I used twin blades

I parried my way through the entire fight with the blood starved beast, which is the boss that I'm assuming brought those strong enemies with the big bags to life.

I've made lots of progress through the cathedral ward. Very confusing was of progressing but I think I've got the hang of it now

One thing I've noticed is that it seems as though I can't party all enemies, do I need a shotgun or something for some of the bigger ones?

I still don't really understand the guns and stuff in this game. Shields are easier to follow

Guns are just for stunning (parrying) enemies and/or setting up the visceral attack (sometimes to lure an enemy). The main mechanism is dodge and attack (often with flanking), so that is your first option, and then certain enemies are vulnerable to parrying. You did the BSB in the right way IMO.

The emphasis is dodging over shield (the one shield in the game is kind of a joke....literally) and the regain system when you get hit.

As others have said, the laterns are fairly scarce its more about opening up shortcuts to the same latern, which is really pretty genius level design IMO. It also has some pretty obscure and intuitive side quests and iirc there was a least one gate where I bought a key rather than found it. The DLC is amazing, but also complicated in how to access it once purchased (do it before finishing your first run).

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I remember I got very frustrated with the creepy citadel place (nightmare of mensis I think?) so I went to the snowy place

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finally got around to playing this properly and I forgot how awful the blood vial system is. Die to a boss? Have fun farming vials/echoes for the next 10 minutes.

It also looks like ass on a 55 inch 4k screen.

I like the setting and the atmosphere, killed a few bosses, so far it has been considerably easier than sekiro, bosses (apart from the one on the graveyard early) seem to be slow and have predictable moves.
Just don't use them unless you know you have a chance of beating the boss. I almost never used any before the boss had half HP. If I died before that I just took it as a learning lesson and wasted no vials on top of that.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
You know, Bloodborne has always been my least favorite Souls game. I never liked the boss fights which came across as too many werewolves or giant aliens, I didn't like that late game you had to grind for blood phials, and as someone who actively dislikes Lovecraft (he's a bigot and a hack writer) the setting and story did nothing for me. It always came across as a "Demon's May care" game which was a turn off. However, with Sekiro (and being easily my favorite game of the generation if not all time) I wonder if I should give it a second chance now that I'm better at the fast pace and parrying.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
The only frustrating part of this game is there are no signs of a sequel. I generally don't ask for sequels, but this game is one of the greatest experiences in my gaming life and would love to just have more of it.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Enough sugar coating. Tell us how you really feel.

But seriously, if you don't like cosmic horror, then Cosmic Horror: The Game is never going to do it for you. Especially if you're one to say it has "too many werewolves or giant aliens." The venn diagram of your interests and Bloodborne's content is just two circles.

Well, I'm being overly harsh. I did actually enjoy they game - just in reference to other Souls games that's how I felt. It's still an A grade game for sure.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
You know, Bloodborne has always been my least favorite Souls game. I never liked the boss fights which came across as too many werewolves or giant aliens, I didn't like that late game you had to grind for blood phials, and as someone who actively dislikes Lovecraft (he's a bigot and a hack writer) the setting and story did nothing for me. It always came across as a "Demon's May care" game which was a turn off. However, with Sekiro (and being easily my favorite game of the generation if not all time) I wonder if I should give it a second chance now that I'm better at the fast pace and parrying.

Personally, the part where the lovecraftian shit starts to happen is my favorite. It felt like a true wtf moment the first time I played it.

I'd say BB and Dark Souls are equal in terms of enjoyment I got out of them but imo Sekiro is the far better game simply because the combat is actually fun. Would be the goat if it had an actual boss rush mode but eh.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Personally, the part where the lovecraftian shit starts to happen is my favorite. It felt like a true wtf moment the first time I played it.

I'd say BB and Dark Souls are equal in terms of enjoyment I got out of them but imo Sekiro is the far better game simply because the combat is actually fun. Would be the goat if it had an actual boss rush mode but eh.

It's cool. We all have different tastes. Those are my nit-picky things. It's a great game for sure.

Boss rush would be a great challenge. I've always wondered why they don't have a colosseum of some sort in these games. In particular in Sekiro I've never played a game where I just wanted to learn how to master a boss, but you never get to do that because you have to wait until the next game cycle to fight them again (and even there they're harder). The way I envision how they should do it is allow you to revisit memories of past fights (with whatever your current level is). That would have played in nicely with the story as well as the whole bujutsu mental fighting thing.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
It's cool. We all have different tastes. Those are my nit-picky things. It's a great game for sure.

Boss rush would be a great challenge. I've always wondered why they don't have a colosseum of some sort in these games. In particular in Sekiro I've never played a game where I just wanted to learn how to master a boss, but you never get to do that because you have to wait until the next game cycle to fight them again (and even there they're harder). The way I envision how they should do it is allow you to revisit memories of past fights (with whatever your current level is). That would have played in nicely with the story as well as the whole bujutsu mental fighting thing.

I always felt like with Sekiro I had to master a boss before I could beat them for the most part. With Bloodborne, I one-shotted several bosses or beat them with a ton of dodging and blood vials. Like with the one reborn, I never even realized there were enemies on the walls surrounding the arena, I just dodged like crazy and got a bit lucky on my first shot.

With Sekiro it was much more trial and error; the bosses felt more like the chalice dungeon bosses you had to completely master in bloodborne when going after the queen for the platinum (watchdog, pthumerian descendant, etc.). On the whole I prefer Sekiro's bosses more, but not getting stuck on every boss made BB flow a bit better, and the BB level design, atmosphere, and lore are what make it my GOAT.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
I always felt like with Sekiro I had to master a boss before I could beat them for the most part. With Bloodborne, I one-shotted several bosses or beat them with a ton of dodging and blood vials. Like with the one reborn, I never even realized there were enemies on the walls surrounding the arena, I just dodged like crazy and got a bit lucky on my first shot.

With Sekiro it was much more trial and error; the bosses felt more like the chalice dungeon bosses you had to completely master in bloodborne when going after the queen for the platinum (watchdog, pthumerian descendant, etc.). On the whole I prefer Sekiro's bosses more, but not getting stuck on every boss made BB flow a bit better, and the BB level design, atmosphere, and lore are what make it my GOAT.

Yeah each boss feels like a level unto itself and you had to learn each one or you never got anywwhere. I guess what I mean by "master" is that I want to be able to learn how to defeat them without taking damage and without a struggle basically.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah each boss feels like a level unto itself and you had to learn each one or you never got anywwhere. I guess what I mean by "master" is that I want to be able to learn how to defeat them without taking damage and without a struggle basically.

Gotcha. I guess save scumming is the only way to replay bosses like that. A lot of Sekiro's length may be a bit artificial in that its driven by how long it takes to get by a boss. I flew threw the replay and toyed with most every boss until I got to the Shura ending and then I save scummed and went the other path to grind the skill points for the platinum and I would say that running through the last set of bosses was easier than the first time, but still challenging. You know what was really curious was that the Divine Dragon actually gave me trouble in my second run, which was shocking to me because I considered him such a pushover the first time.

My favorite boss to master in Sekiro is
Owl 2.0
. That was just like a zone where he's throwing so many different things at you and your countering and punishing everything.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
So far the game feels like another souls game to me, maybe a bit harder than the last souls game I played; dark souls 3.

I just beat Vicar Amelia, so I'm assuming I'm still very early in the game. Can't say I'm a fan of the healing system, I'd much rather have estus flask, because you have to farm for blood vials or whatever it's called.

So far the level design might be better than early parts of dark souls 3 but I don't know of this game will top ds3 bosses, we'll see.

Also cathedral of the deep is one of my favourite souls levels so I hope it can top it. Alongside with obvious send fortress, blightown, no man's wharf

Also I think I'm starting to think I actually really liked dark souls 2. It's not as good as the first, but it's cool. It does lots of things different than other titles

Last edited:

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
beating the defiled chalice in this game might be my proudest video game accomplishment. I spent actually close to a week, maybe even two, on two separate bosses in there.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Have hit so many more walls than any other Souls game so far. Typically after some time can beat most Souls stuff, but yikes in Bloodborne I've hit so many walls where I'm stuck on a boss or something. So yea I find it more frustrating than any souls game so far... which has me a little worried about trying Sekiro as it sounds even worse with annoying bosses and that From just trying to keep upping it's difficulty.

And also it just seems like COOP is not done much at all in Bloodborne? Maybe it was the sign system that worked better in Souls, but the stupid bell system just doesn't work the same, and if you are looking for coop help, you typically are stuck. It's funny near almost every boss area if you hang out by the entrance you see the ghost of players all ringing their bells looking for help, but no one is offering to help, unlike Souls were you can often find a coop player easy.