• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
True.
My worst two were BSB and Amelia for some reason, no other were nearly as hard for me (I did die a lot to the Pthumerian Descendant, but that was to get the plat).

He taught me how to parry because I literally couldn't get him down below 75% health without it. After a couple hours with him I turned into a parry master and NG+ was miles easier because of it

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not kidding when I say that Father G is one of the harder bosses of the game. He's absolutely a late game Souls boss, placed as the first boss of Bloodborne.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not kidding when I say that Father G is one of the harder bosses of the game. He's absolutely a late game Souls boss, placed as the first boss of Bloodborne.
But I kinda just mauled through him in one try. Then again I spent a lot of time dying before him practicing gunshots on the regular monsters. There are far far far far harder bosses and some even shortly after him.

the chalice unlock boss and the lava doggy in the chalice are both leaps and bounds harder

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
But I kinda just mauled through him in one try. Then again I spent a lot of time dying before him practicing gunshots on the regular monsters. There are far far far far harder bosses and some even shortly after him.
Yea BSB was hell for me. That's when I had to look up the inner workings of the game.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
BSB was probably the easiest boss in the game for me. I really struggled with some of the optional bosses, and Amelia for a while. And oh god, the Shadows.

Bosses where parrying wasn't a thing were extremely difficult for me.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He was my first boss as well. I fought the Cleric waaaay after FG
I did cleric first becuase after going in there and dying I wasnt about to lose my souls LOL

BSB was probably the easiest boss in the game for me. I really struggled with some of the optional bosses, and Amelia for a while. And oh god, the Shadows.

Bosses where parrying wasn't a thing were extremely difficult for me.
It depends on how early you tackle BSB doing it with low hp and getting basically poisoned over and over from a bad play basically equaled death, the sooner you do it the more of a pain in the ass it is extemely so with no summoned help. It's pretty squishy though so if you go back and do it a bit later it melts pretty quickly.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on how early you tackle BSB doing it with low hp and getting basically poisoned over and over from a bad play basically equaled death, the sooner you do it the more of a pain in the ass it is extemely so with no summoned help
I did a very low vitality/low level run, so basically everything was guaranteed to kill me in 1-2 hits, anyway. But BSB seemed easier to stagger and counter with parries and such, and also seemed easier to do damage to. I really liked the fight because it felt like a match for my build, for once; all speedy dodging and parrying.

But it also meant I struggled immensely in later fights that others didn't have issues with.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone has a different view; but for me, Father G was the second toughest boss in the entire game - I think it's just the result of still learning the intricacies of combat and learning how to use your environment.

Amelia gave me the most trouble; her hit boxes were huge.

After that, I don't think any other boss took me more than 2 or 3 tries.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
But he's the second :P
Well, first mandatory boss. :p
But I kinda just mauled through him in one try. Then again I spent a lot of time dying before him practicing gunshots on the regular monsters
Yeah, some people beat him first try. And congrats to those who did.

But his speed and aggression, combined with the fact that you can barely level yet (or can't level at all, if you missed Cleric Beast entirely), means that you have very little room to breathe. He punishes panic mashing and panic healing, both of which are concepts that are taught to you more slowly in Souls games. Father G hits you with all of those things at once, and it's very rough for a newcomer to catch on to all of these things right off the bat. That's why he can be very hard to beat, and is often where a lot of people put down the game.

Like you said, if you can parry reliably then he can be beaten that way. But if you don't (and people typically aren't comfortable with that mechanic so early in the game) then he is definitely way harder than what you'd expect from one of the first bosses you see.

Later bosses may be stronger, but by then you're more familiar with your weapon, the game's mechanics, your build, and so on.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Father G teaches players a very important lesson about Bloodborne...

Dodge into the attack.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Well, first mandatory boss. :p

Yeah, some people beat him first try. And congrats to those who did.

But his speed and aggression, combined with the fact that you can barely level yet (or can't level at all, if you missed Cleric Beast entirely), means that you have very little room to breathe. He punishes panic mashing and panic healing, both of which are concepts that are taught to you more slowly in Souls games. Father G hits you with all of those things at once, and it's very rough for a newcomer to catch on to all of these things right off the bat. That's why he can be very hard to beat, and is often where a lot of people put down the game.

Like you said, if you can parry reliably then he can be beaten that way. But if you don't (and people typically aren't comfortable with that mechanic so early in the game) then he is definitely way harder than what you'd expect from one of the first bosses you see.

Later bosses may be stronger, but by then you're more familiar with your weapon, the game's mechanics, your build, and so on.

eh... oil jugs and molotovs completely trivialize father G. I didn't learn to Parry until WAY after.

He's definitely going to test how well you've been paying attention to game mechanics, but there are a number of ways to beat that guy.

If you're trying to play this game like Dark Souls or thinking "I'll just button mash my way through" then yeah, you'll have a bad time.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Just because you've completed the game without parrying doesn't mean the actual mechanic itself isn't essential to learn. It's the first step in learning how to play aggressively which Bloodborne is absolutely about. Once you get the hang of parrying, you start to take more risks and through that the game starts to click. Maybe you were already an aggressive player before but for many who were going from the Souls games to this, the play style From wanted you to adopt was certainly different. I'm not saying that you need to parry in every single engagement as you don't really need to use it later on, but at an early stage, it's important to learn as it's the first stepping stone in getting into the groove of combat and playing riskier. Bloodborne is about high risk, high reward after all.
You make some fair points there. As a risk averse player I definitely shied away from parries, which admittedly made some boss fights longer than they needed to be!

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Update:

Managed to beat Amelia with the help of TWO companions. My clip of the fight didn't save to Twitch so I'm not able to post it, but it took about 20 seconds and was the most amazing thing ever.

Got my ass handed to me twice by the Shadows of Yharnam. Went back and got the Charred Hunter's Armor and kicked their butt. Really cool fight.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Vicar Amelia was very annoying but then it gets easy(ier) it starts very tough but later bosses balance it out.

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
Update:

Managed to beat Amelia with the help of TWO companions. My clip of the fight didn't save to Twitch so I'm not able to post it, but it took about 20 seconds and was the most amazing thing ever.

Got my ass handed to me twice by the Shadows of Yharnam. Went back and got the Charred Hunter's Armor and kicked their butt. Really cool fight.

I think you have to enable "store past broadcasts" in the Twitch settings.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Update:

You beat Amelia and got to SoY already? Impressive. Just make sure to go back to Cathedral Ward, there's a lot to that place.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Started up a new character to try and play along with the thread. Hit me up if you need a second person for any boss fights or just a bodyguard for general mob clearing/exploration.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
That was my experience too. BSB is such a whirling mess of flapping skin and poison clouds and it's hard to learn the fight.

Parrying works there as well. It's always good to learn the attack patterns, like when BSB is about to jump on you.

The tutorial area in the Hunter's Dream has a message or two about parrying ;) .

It's both funny and interesting how many people skip all of that in TL:DR fashion. It comes up every now and then, and a couple of my friends didn't even bother to inspect the area to find the weapons near the spawning point, so they continued without weapons after their initial death.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Update:

Sounds like you're doing great! Did you thoroughly explore the forest and find the way back to a very familiar place yet? Major story implications!

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
He took me about thirty attempts on my first try. I've beaten him dozens of times since and yet he still gets my pulse running every time I face him. He's an excellent boss, but he is also a brutal early-game skill check.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I always found Gascoigne kinda hard to parry outside of one or two utterly blatant moments. Frankly he'd be one of the easiest bosses in the game if he had a more favourable arena. If you want to fight him head on and dodge his attacks he's very straightforward as long as you don't get stuck on the eleven billion gravestones dotted around. There's a raised area though where there aren't any thankfully so it kind of trivialises the whole thing.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
He is the first part of an amazing three-boss streak (FG, BSB, Amelia) that is then followed by a very mixed bag of bosses that doesn't reach the same heights until you do the ending or the DLC. But man that was a good run.

Threaded Cane is frustration mode in my opinion. Doing a strength build that ended up with Kirkhammer or holy blade was far less stressful for my first run.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you're doing great! Did you thoroughly explore the forest and find the way back to a very familiar place yet? Major story implications!

I'm at a similar place and I think I might need to backtrack a bit because I saw a turnoff at one point with white stuff on the ground and didn't follow it.

After going back and forth the night before opening shortcuts in Hemwick Charnel Lane and the Forbidden Woods I was able to take out two bosses. The Witch of Hemwick - which was a meh fight - it actually took me a few tries because of my own carelessness and thinking it was too easy. And then I beat the Shadow of Yarnam on my first attempt. Interesting on the Shadow my strategy was to take them out one at a time. So I took out the sword guy first, and then did some damage to the other two but focused on one of them after they transformed. When the snakes came out I was like WTF, and nearly died but killed the last guy basically one hit away from death. I looked up how other people beat that boss later on and most had a strategy of getting them all down to 30% so the last phases are shorter. This was the first boss I've beaten on the first try.

So what do you guys recommend I do next - feel like my three options are

1) keep going down the path in the forbidden woods after Shadow, I haven't gone through those doors because I went back to the Dream after beating the Shadow.

2) Go back to the forbidden woods and locate that familiar place - is it the path I mentioned?

3) Go back to the Grand Cathedral and head to the right now that I picked up the tonsil stone in the Forbidden Woods - I think something alluded that I should go back that way.

Any particular order you recommend, or would now be a good time to the first Chalice dungeon? I'm loving the game so much that I did purchase the DLC, but I've heard this is something I should not attempt until I'm close to finished with the main game.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He is the first part of an amazing three-boss streak (FG, BSB, Amelia) that is then followed by a very mixed bag of bosses that doesn't reach the same heights until you do the ending or the DLC. But man that was a good run.

Threaded Cane is frustration mode in my opinion. Doing a strength build that ended up with Kirkhammer or holy blade was far less stressful for my first run.
I did Cane for first run, and while I did have some problems with BSB and others, it was still super fun. I also found out about some moves like backstep hits way too late, which is an amazing one for the Cane.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Gascoigne is such a hard boss for players new to the series. I can't think of such a hard roadblock in any of the other games that comes so early.

O&S and Prince Lothric / Lorian are harder, but by the time you face them you are halfway through the game or 3/4 of the way through, respectively and you probably know the game to an extent and have more of an investment.

It's not a complaint , though; I just find it interesting. Hino Emma in Nioh is similar in that she's one of the hardest parts of that game that comes very early.

Last edited:

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Witches are kinda the Pinwheel of Bloodborne though, aren't they

They were the strangest boss I've faced and it was more laborious and chore. I don't mind a boss that is more mysterious and a puzzle but
this was more or less just kill the women with the sickles and find the light and then slash them when the appear, rinse/repeat. like I said I died a few times, but mainly just overconfidence and not being patient and taking out the summoned enemies before going after the witches. During one run one of the witches started exploding on me and that killed me, but I never saw that again - perhaps that is what happens when you don't do enough damage and they start to glow purple, usually I just hacked away until they disappeared

The Shadow was cool though. So far of the bosses I've played I rank them as follows in terms of how much I enjoyed them (and also as it turns out in terms of difficulty - even though I beat Shadow on first run):

1) Blood Starved Beast - the hardest for me and most rewarding - the boss that made me learn parrying
2) Father G
3) Shadow of Yarnam
4) Vicar Amelia
5) Cleric Beast
6) Witch of Hemwick

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm at a similar place and I think I might need to backtrack a bit because I saw a turnoff at one point with white stuff on the ground and didn't follow it.

After going back and forth the night before opening shortcuts in Hemwick Charnel Lane and the Forbidden Woods I was able to take out two bosses. The Witch of Hemwick - which was a meh fight - it actually took me a few tries because of my own carelessness and thinking it was too easy. And then I beat the Shadow of Yarnam on my first attempt. Interesting on the Shadow my strategy was to take them out one at a time. So I took out the sword guy first, and then did some damage to the other two but focused on one of them after they transformed. When the snakes came out I was like WTF, and nearly died but killed the last guy basically one hit away from death. I looked up how other people beat that boss later on and most had a strategy of getting them all down to 30% so the last phases are shorter. This was the first boss I've beaten on the first try.

So what do you guys recommend I do next - feel like my three options are

1) keep going down the path in the forbidden woods after Shadow, I haven't gone through those doors because I went back to the Dream after beating the Shadow.

2) Go back to the forbidden woods and locate that familiar place - is it the path I mentioned?

3) Go back to the Grand Cathedral and head to the right now that I picked up the tonsil stone in the Forbidden Woods - I think something alluded that I should go back that way.

Any particular order you recommend, or would now be a good time to the first Chalice dungeon? I'm loving the game so much that I did purchase the DLC, but I've heard this is something I should not attempt until I'm close to finished with the main game.

Don't do 2) before beating the area after the Woods. 1) and 3) are up to you, one area is optional :
nº 3
. Chalices are good to get extra levels.

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did Cane for first run, and while I did have some problems with BSB and others, it was still super fun. I also found out about some moves like backstep hits way too late, which is an amazing one for the Cane.
There are backstep hits?

What's the item? Its been a while since I played Bloodborne. And put it in spoiler tags, please.

If you go to the area we are talking about after Brygenwerth, you'll meet an NPC there, if you kill them then you get an Umbilical Cord. If you go to this place before killing Rom, and kill the NPC, you lose out on this Cord which is a crucial item for an ending.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are backstep hits?
Yeah, If you only do a backstep, meaning pressing circle without a directional input, and then press either attack button, some weapons do special attacks on them. The Cane for example has some sort of a whirling strike forward with incredible reach instead of horizontal or vertical slashes. One of the coolest and most useful moves in the game imo. The Pizza Cutter basically has a super quick version of the fully charged R2 attack, which is really useful, too.
No other weapon will do.
I'm currently trying the Pizza Cutter, but after I'm finished with the playthrough, you bet your ass I'm back on the Cane lol.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, If you only do a backstep, meaning pressing circle without a directional input, and then press either attack button, some weapons do special attacks on them. The Cane for example has some sort of a whirling strike forward with incredible reach instead of horizontal or vertical slashes. One of the coolest and most useful moves in the game imo. The Pizza Cutter basically has a super quick version of the fully charged R2 attack, which is really useful, too.
Man, fuck, I need to get me a PS4 of my own now.

Played through the entire thing on a friend's PS4...