• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Great for you trying out this game

i'd love to play it again for the first time

the best advice I can give you, you might not want to hear though

gotta keep grinding, learning the rules of the game/series

unlike the other Souls games, Bloodborne rewards aggression

don't be afraid! just follow the advice I've hidden in this post

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. I don't. Student.
2. No TV.
3. I played through most of the DLC at a friend's house as well, got to Living Failures and stopped there.
That's a shame. That you didn't finish the DLC I mean. :P
There were 3 bosses left and they are the best ones outside of Ludwig (and the entire game and SOuls in general, really.)

Well the game isn't running away, good luck with your studies!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame. That you didn't finish the DLC I mean. :P
There were 3 bosses left and they are the best ones outside of Ludwig (and the entire game and SOuls in general, really.)

Well the game isn't running away, good luck with your studies!

I still haven't beaten Lawrence or the Defiled Amygdala. My shame is real. :(

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still haven't beaten Lawrence or the Defiled Amygdala. My shame is real. :(
I never did the Amygdala either. I really, really tried to like the chalice dungeons, but everytime I tried to do them I wished to be in the wonderfully crafted world instead and gave up after some bosses. Just didn't have as much fun with it as the normal game, and just went for that instead every single time.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is one of my favorite things to check on the site. Father Gascoigne, you converted another one

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I never did the Amygdala either. I really, really tried to like the chalice dungeons, but everytime I tried to do them I wished to be in the wonderfully crafted world instead and gave up after some bosses. Just didn't have as much fun with it as the normal game, and just went for that instead every single time.

Yeah, the defiled bosses just take away everything that makes the game fun and turn it into Dark Souls 2. I wanted to see Queen Y, but not enough to suffer through that stupid Amy fight solo.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Git gud, defiled Amygdala is fun :D

shameless plug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFU4ZCiyVHE

obviously spoilers
the umbilical cord, you only get it post Rom. It's pretty important because you need 3 and there's only 4 available and 2 are missable.

There are backstep hits?

If you go to the area we are talking about after Brygenwerth, you'll meet an NPC there, if you kill them then you get an Umbilical Cord. If you go to this place before killing Rom, and kill the NPC, you lose out on this Cord which is a crucial item for an ending.

Yeah, backstep > R1 and R2, especially awesome for threaded cane.

Yeah, but you don't have to fight fake Iosefka on first visit, she warns you not to enter. On my first run, I just got the summons and went back to the forest

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really in the mood for Bloodborne again now. It's only Souls-like game I've dropped. (After this optional fight, to be specific, though the mandatory one I was on was even worse.) Plus the DLC wasn't a thing back then.

If I had a PS4 and hadn't lost my save file...

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really in the mood for Bloodborne again now. It's only Souls-like game I've dropped. (After this optional fight, to be specific, though the mandatory one I was on was even worse.) Plus the DLC wasn't a thing back then.

If I had a PS4 and hadn't lost my save file...
You really dropped it after that fight?? You were doing massive damage, looked a bit over-leveled - not too much VIT, though. Was that really your first run?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
You really dropped it after that fight?? You were doing massive damage, looked a bit over-leveled - not too much VIT, though. Was that really your first run?
Far from the first. One of many dozens! I was pretty much a glass cannon. I forgot what level I was. (I was level 20 for most of the game, so I was either that or level 25.) I put the majority of my points into Skill, and my Cane was either +9/+10 with some nice gems slotted on. The RNG was extremely favorable in that video so the nerves got to me. Usually I'd die to one dash attack at full health.

I should have been less stubborn about leveling up. But I was used to not having to in DS1 (until Manus, at least). I was basically doing minimal damage to Margo's Wet Nurse and would die in 1-2 hits if I was lucky. I really disliked bosses near the end since parrying was no longer really a thing. That was my saving grace in the past.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
OP I was like you. I sucked at the game at the start. But I heard so many good things about the game I persevered and got good. I finished both the main game and DLC.

One of the my GoTG easily. And one of my favourite gaming narratives ever. It's sensational.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Far from the first. One of many dozens! I was pretty much a glass cannon. I forgot what level I was. (I was level 20 for most of the game, so I was either that or level 25.) I put the majority of my points into Skill, and my Cane was either +9/+10 with some nice gems slotted on. The RNG was extremely favorable in that video so the nerves got to me. Usually I'd die to one dash attack at full health.

I should have been less stubborn about leveling up. But I was used to not having to in DS1 (until Manus, at least). I was basically doing minimal damage to Margo's Wet Nurse and would die in 1-2 hits if I was lucky. I really disliked bosses near the end since parrying was no longer really a thing. That was my saving grace in the past.
Yeah, I was gonna say, that seemed way off for a first run-through. Good on ya! Agreed on the lack of parrying on the final (bigger) bosses, was a bit of a bummer.

You and me both. You and me both.
Y'all gotta punch through that stuff! Still my favorite platinum ever :D

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Defiled was absolutely a huge roadblock to me, but once you're past it you're kind of home free. You could kill Amygdala by hitting its tail underneath him and the stomps wouldn't do anything. Dunno if that still works. I also had some issues with the bosses of the final dungeon, while Queen Y is surprisingly easy. For the sake of it I one shot Loran Darkbeast after getting the Plat.

I kind of liked the chalice dungeons. Sharing glyphs to get OP gems or even those final upgrade items.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
There are backstep hits?

If you go to the area we are talking about after Brygenwerth, you'll meet an NPC there, if you kill them then you get an Umbilical Cord. If you go to this place before killing Rom, and kill the NPC, you lose out on this Cord which is a crucial item for an ending.
obviously spoilers
the umbilical cord, you only get it post Rom. It's pretty important because you need 3 and there's only 4 available and 2 are missable.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I did that at launch and got the Platinum trophy pretty quickly, so on subsequent runs I never get acquire it again.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
don't go here before beating the area after the woods or else you'll miss a very important item.

Thanks to you and the other person who mentioned this. I think I know where you guys are talking about in the Forbidden Woods and I would have gone there tonight, but I will do the next part after the woods first.

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Update: Haven't played it at all today. Dog's been sick and we have to talk about putting him down.

Later I'm going to get a new headset but I should be down to play after that.

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Oh damn whatever happens I wish all the best to your dog and that he doesn't have to suffer much either way. What's wrong with him?

He's been very aggressive towards us. Has attacked me for no reason in the past and last night he cornered my girlfriend in the bathroom after going off on her. It's happened several times, probably about five or six, with no prompting. He's had several trainers with no previous issues. He's been a very relaxed dog all his life. He's also showing signs of pacing, dialated and bloodshot eyes, licking his lips, excessive panting and thirst, etc. Vet thinks he may have brain swelling / tumors from valley fever, but to find out, it's gonna cost us $1500 ish for an MRI.

He already has Lupus which is in his intestines so we've been treating that. At this point it's just trying to balance our love for him with his quality of life.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
He's been very aggressive towards us. Has attacked me for no reason in the past and last night he cornered my girlfriend in the bathroom after going off on her. It's happened several times, probably about five or six, with no prompting. He's had several trainers with no previous issues. He's been a very relaxed dog all his life. He's also showing signs of pacing, dialated and bloodshot eyes, licking his lips, excessive panting and thirst, etc. Vet thinks he may have brain swelling / tumors from valley fever, but to find out, it's gonna cost us $1500 ish for an MRI.

He already has Lupus which is in his intestines so we've been treating that. At this point it's just trying to balance our love for him with his quality of life.
Argh, really sorry to hear that. We had to make a similar decision last year and it's tough.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks.

We'll probably have someone come out to the home and do it there. Get him a cheeseburger or something and just make him comfy.

I'm so sorry to hear this, yeah that's a tough call to make, I wish you and your loved ones and your dog lots of energy. I also lost my dog three years ago, she got a stroke and eventually just couldn't go on anymore. I'm sure he'll enjoy this last cheeseburger :)

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

:( Sorry to hear about that.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Update: Haven't played it at all today. Dog's been sick and we have to talk about putting him down.

Later I'm going to get a new headset but I should be down to play after that.

I'm sorry to hear this. As someone who has to put down their first kitten in 2017, and the family dog a few months after that, I feel ya. If you decide to go through with it, just remember all the fun times you had with your dog and keep them comfy until the end. How old is he/she?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the defiled bosses just take away everything that makes the game fun and turn it into Dark Souls 2. I wanted to see Queen Y, but not enough to suffer through that stupid Amy fight solo.
I still wonder why they locked cool lore bosses like the Queen behind all that, frankly, dumb nonsense. If there is ever a Bloodborne 2 I sure hope it will do away with chalice dungeons. I get that the chalice dungeons are part of the lore as well, but afaik it never got explained ingame why they were boring, randomly generated messes with some frustrating bossfights to boot. Wished the catacombs were just another area like Old Yharnam with the Pthumerian Elder and Descendant and the Queen as bosses.

Oh fuck...sorry to hear that. :(

Last edited:

Shan

Oct 27, 2017

Really sorry to hear that. ;_;

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My only trophies left for the plat are chalice related and im super annoyed about that

Damn I got the platinum but these trophies still give me chills.... all I can say is to use NPC summons when possible and farm those great physical gems.

Edit: Just read about the Doggo sorry to hear that OP.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I'm sorry to hear this. As someone who has to put down their first kitten in 2017, and the family dog a few months after that, I feel ya. If you decide to go through with it, just remember all the fun times you had with your dog and keep them comfy until the end. How old is he/she?
He's about 4.

About to die a second time to rom if anyone wants to watch me die

twitch.tv/whiplash810

Cavsfan767

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Wait so have you beaten wolfman?? All I'm reading about is dogs cornering people in bathrooms??

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
How I approach souls games:
Take my time exploring up to boss door
Return to camp and spend all souls
Run to boss ignoring all enemies
Engage boss and don't attack at all just defend and observe
Repeat above few times and die usually (no stress)
Then fight for real and never use any consumables unless I get the boss halfway

I'm playing Bloodborne right now too and have defeated Amelia and bsb tonight.

Father G is easy because I know how to visceral and I used music box on final stage once then he was dead

Cleric was not too bad just need to dodge and strafe to his behind

Amelia was rather easy with npc hunter summon
I got her second try. Just have to dodge Thru her attack and unleash hell when she heals

BSB roughed me up a bit until I used the altar to ring around the rosy him last phase. I abused visceral on him and he only poisoned me once cause I was stupid. It did take me like 5 attempts.

From Software is the best developer there is when it comes to environmental design and gameplay utilizing the environment. I don't think anyone comes close. Maybe the Zelda dungeon team. I cannot believe how intricate and detailed the environment is and how it all connects. The game has no map yet I can describe all the locations I've been to...that tells you something about their design.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

obviously spoilers

Actually, you can go there both times, and you can
leave there without fighting her, if you don't go up the stairs after she warns you.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

The bosses in Defiled chalice are more a test of patience than skill, as far as I'm concerned. Never be too eager to get another hit. It took me a while to learn to not dodge when Amygdala jumps, and when the Watchdog was about to charge. As a result neither of them managed to hit me more than a couple of times. Having a rune that increases HP also helps to avoid being killed with a single hit, aside from the Watchdog's charge attack. You can also kind of cheese Amygdala, by staying behind its legs during the last phase. Having a high Bloodtinge, and using a gun like Evelyn with Bone Marrow Ash, will also enable you to decrease its HP from a safe distance. I imagine it'll work with Bowblade as well.

EDIT: A weapon with a good reach, like the Cane's whip form, will also be helpful against Watchdog and Amygdala.

As for the Keeper, the first boss of Defiled chalice, she's very easy with parrying. After the visceral attack, you can just whack her until your stamina ends (if you have a quick weapon like the Cane), and then parry her again.

The first boss of Ihyll chalice was much more challenging for me, despite of not having my HP halved. It took me more tries to beat him than anything else in the game. He's just so aggressive, and has also ranged attacks, so patience helps little there. The Queen is one of my top 5 favorite bosses in the game, and surprisingly easy as well. At least when compared to the preceding ones.

Last edited:

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Just keep your camera focused on him and slowly take out the adds once they are all clear it goes down pretty easy.
Other way is just to don't mind the adds and just run to Rom, attack, readjust and attack again. Both is viable.

Defiled Chalices? True Bloodborne start now. It's really just a test of patience. Cost me blood, sweat and tears though. Was worth it.

Last edited:

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Going into this game with a Dark Souls mentality is so difficult. I played Bloodborne first and struggled massively to even get past the Cleric Beast, left it and played Dark Souls for a bit.
Complete Dark Souls 1 and really enjoyed it so thought "right, I'm ready to take on Bloodborne now!". I wasn't, I was even worse. Not having a shield is so intimidating after relying on it so much in DS.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Going into this game with a Dark Souls mentality is so difficult. I played Bloodborne first and struggled massively to even get past the Cleric Beast, left it and played Dark Souls for a bit.
Complete Dark Souls 1 and really enjoyed it so thought "right, I'm ready to take on Bloodborne now!". I wasn't, I was even worse. Not having a shield is so intimidating after relying on it so much in DS.
I played Bloodborne before I played any of the Souls games, and then cleared DS1-3 shieldless because I couldn't get into that mindset. i-frames are addictive. It definitely made parts of Dark Souls harder than they needed to be though.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I think you have to change that mentality. I'm a noob and beat Cleric Beast on 2nd try. I got hit plenty and I just kept hitting back instead of retreating - regain is so important for certain enemies. You just kinda have to throw caution to the wind. (And really work on the parrying - don't be stingy with bullets, because its more fun than a shield.)

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a question for BB vets. What is the point of Insight? I recognize it is a secondary currency and is supposed to make you see more stuff. But I've also heard it makes enemy's harder when you carry more of it. So what is the incentive for building it up exactly?