• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So I have a question for BB vets. What is the point of Insight? I recognize it is a secondary currency and is supposed to make you see more stuff. But I've also heard it makes enemy's harder when you carry more of it. So what is the incentive for building it up exactly?

You build it up to use it as a currency, that's pretty much it. Only a very few enemies change with Insight tho, the biggest problem of high Insight is that you're more vulnerable to Frenzy status effect (an effect a few enemies can inflict on you).

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm taking on Rom tonight. I did the first chalice dungeon last night and I opened up the nightmare path
s this just a PvP world? I started to explore and killed a creature then another player showed up and we fought and I eventually won but I used so many blood vials I left the area.
. I also went back and got some things I was missing - charred hunter set and tonitrus.

I tried Rom one time to get a feel for the battle and then decided to call it a night. The hunter near Rom kept killing me until....
I stopped trying to fight him inside the building and did a lot of damage to him in the doorway and then realized the dodge roll is effective for that fireworks display that he pulls out that can kill you with one hit

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
He's about 4.

About to die a second time to rom if anyone wants to watch me die

twitch.tv/whiplash810

That's rough. I've had to do that 3 times and I hate it. The worst was when I had to put down an 8 year old dog because she had been so healthy and I was expecting her to be around another 4-5 years.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I'm taking on Rom tonight. I did the first chalice dungeon last night and I opened up the nightmare path
s this just a PvP world? I started to explore and killed a creature then another player showed up and we fought and I eventually won but I used so many blood vials I left the area.
. I also went back and got some things I was missing - charred hunter set and tonitrus.

I tried Rom one time to get a feel for the battle and then decided to call it a night. The hunter near Rom kept killing me until....
I stopped trying to fight him inside the building and did a lot of damage to him in the doorway and then realized the dodge roll is effective for that fireworks display that he pulls out that can kill you with one hit

Answer to your spoiler - yes it can be unless you can find a certain enemy and stop her from campanology..

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't. Is that good or bad?
It's the hidden village you visit during the story, and getting to prison is basically accessing it before you go there for story purposes, even with a lamp that is unaccessable later on. I'm pretty sure you can get stuff like the Tonitrus later on as well, but what's for sure is you're missing out on this stellar piece. Easily the creepiest part of BB.

If you want to access it let yourself get killed by one of the kidnapers. (the dudes with a sack on their shoulder). You'll get transported there.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this related to the path in the Forbidden Woods or is that something different?
No.
Something different. If you haven't killed Rom yet, let yourself get killed by one of these.
They only show up after you have killed Blood Starved Beast and will vanish when you kill Rom.
latest

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
It took me a couple of tries to get into the game, but once I did was I completely obsessed. Definitely my game of the generation and in my top five games of all time. It's still the only game I've ever gotten the platinum for.

Watching streamers play helped a lot in increasing my skill level, especially speedrunners like Elajjaz. What other folks have said is true, you have to fight aggressively. I went from dying on Father G a million times to beating Ludwig on my very first try. Also, being a strength build helps a lot if you want to play aggressively. The axe, Whirligig Saw, Beast Cutter, and the Holy Moonlight Sword are GOAT. You can kind of sequence break and get the Whirligig Saw early and that helps a ton too.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Pretty sure that NPC has a 90+ Arcane stat.

Arcane tools have really weird damage scaling; unlike weapon damage scaling, Arcane tool scaling starts mediocre but never levels off, so a high Arcane build can easily one-shot with A Call Beyond. A 99 Arcane build is the ultimate glass cannon.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Update: The One Reborn is gross

Absolutely incandescent in its grossness!

One of the absolutely coolest Souls/Bloodborne (oops) bosses presentation-wise for me. The intro and those hellish bells...insane.

Edit: Btw, take your time with the game and really explore if I'd throw another advice out there. There's a ton of optional and amazing content hidden throughout.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I have a question for BB vets. What is the point of Insight? I recognize it is a secondary currency and is supposed to make you see more stuff. But I've also heard it makes enemy's harder when you carry more of it. So what is the incentive for building it up exactly?
I'm late to this but it's currency and also allows you to see the world for what it is

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. Pirate Bae should get her weapon to +10 first. And yeah, Castle Caihurst and Upper Cathedral Ward first for sure as Z-Beat said.
Plus on the chance that the lady wasn't rescued you can get that other third of the umbilical cord. Otherwise the third ending and a boss will be locked, and you can't try again without starting over with a new character or new game +

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
Much like the classic Deus Ex meme, this thread got me to jump back in for the fifth time - there goes another 50 or so hours. Good job and good luck, Pirate Bae!

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
The Nightmare of Mensis is some bullshit

Should I go here first or the Nightmare Frontier? Both of them are equally frustrating so

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Love this game. I admit I had a lot of frustration at times... But usually that was because my stubbornness to avoid leveling up and I'd be getting one shotted left and right.

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
tbh the nightmare frontier is giving me a headache

might get back into it later, but I'm thoroughly pissed off at this fucking level rn

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To this day this is the only 'Souls' game I've fully completed despite owning all the others.

Something about this game just clicked and no matter how much it beat me, annoyed me, or outright slapped me down I kept coming back for more sweet vengeance.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
The Nightmare of Mensis is some bullshit

Should I go here first or the Nightmare Frontier? Both of them are equally frustrating so

Totally late to the thread but I love Bloodborne. I expect a sequel Sony!

Anyways, my thoughts on Gascoine is that he is (in hindsight) a pretty effective tutorial boss. He's one of the toughest encounters in the game at the time you encounter him but he engages you in such a way that you have to change your play style from souls to borne and forces you to use all your tools effectively to be successful.

One thing you'll also learn is that most "difficult" bosses are typically parry'able such as:

Lady Maria and Orphan of Kos

I see you past him anyways.

It's optional but completing it gives you access to the tougher chalice dungeon for high rewards. There's also a skip exploit that still hasn't been patched out if you really hate going through the poison lake gauntlet.

This requires some prep in hindsight. For an easier time, lower your insight by buying messenger shit, stock up and equip sedatives, equip clothing that has hi frenzy resistance. A lot of the first half of the level can be cleared through by panic running. That's how I opened up the first shortcut. Remember, in this level is the extremely valuable blood stone. You only get 1 per regular run through. Though you get one in the DLC as well. And I think a chalice dungeon also has one. But this will be the easiest to get.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Super late, but a tip on how to avoid Rom's ice rain attack and a call beyond (or fireworks as someone said): don't dodge, just run left or right, I never got hit doing that. A call beyond might hit you in closed space though, so I wouldn't recomend it against Micolash, just be aggressive against him. But it's good against Ebrietas.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hate it when I find a weapon that looks incredible but I suck at using in actual fights

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Please dont miss Cainhurst. The best area in the game. Not sure why it was even optional. It gave me chills first time I went there.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"What's that smell? Blood"

"The next time you dream, gives some thought"

"Kos, some say Kosm..."

*frenzy song*

All cursed lines