• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe just pause the game for a bit...you don't sound like you're having fun at all. There's multiple areas you could go to. Have you beat Vicar Amelia yet?

Yeah I might try it again tomorrow, I'm dead set on defeating this ugly beast! I have been pretty good with counters and dodging, but then he just jumps at me and does a 1 hit KO where he grabs me or some shit.

No, from checking a recommended game progress route on bloodborne wiki that seems to be the next major boss, but this doesn't really give me a lot of info on how to get there. What annoys me is I have played a good portion of BB before, but I still have no idea of where I'm meant to be going...

I'll manage. But first I will beat this BSB. Just not right now.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I might try it again tomorrow, I'm dead set on defeating this ugly beast! I have been pretty good with counters and dodging, but then he just jumps at me and does a 1 hit KO where he grabs me or some shit.

No, from checking a recommended game progress route on bloodborne wiki that seems to be the next major boss, but this doesn't really give me a lot of info on how to get there. What annoys me is I have played a good portion of BB before, but I still have no idea of where I'm meant to be going...

Before you go in there again next time, stack up on antidotes and all the other stuff.
And getting to Amelia isn't that hard. There's a key in the shop you need to buy to open a gate.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
UGHHH then were am I supposed to gooo...I swear the two times so far where I felt I was following the right path, it led me to optional bosses, first was the one on the bridge and now this one.

Ill just check a guide or wathever on were to go...

I don't know about you but before even attempting to take on BSB again I replayed Old Yarnham multiple times to level up. I did this for each new area I came across so I was at a fairly decent level for each boss.

BSB was actually one of the most irritating bosses for me in the whole game, but again, levelling up to increase my health, strength etc massively helped. I've Platinumed the game since after four very enjoyable play throughs, the first will always be the hardest until you get the rhythm of the game.

Just a quick note, the areas really aren't as big as you think they are. Even the forest area later may seem that way, but there are little shortcuts to find and you'll think "oh yeah, I know where this is".

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Hahaha, yeah I really hate Blood Starved Beast. There is just something about her that is really intimidating for me, I always dread fighting against her.

Also, just a random tangent, every time I replayed Bloodborne I always tell myself that I will try different builds but in the end I *always* gravitate towards Skill / Bloodtinge. The combination of Threaded Cane + Repeating Pistol / Evelyn is just toooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

Ulthanito

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Hahh. It's been my 10th run. After each I wowed to myself I was going to have a different build. Of course I was wrong.

To me a skill/strength build with uncanny saw cleaver + Ludwig is the winning combination.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
You know people keep highlighting the importance of parrying for people like Father G and BSB but honestly, the most valuable think you can learn in this game is good dodging (timing and direction). You can make short work of them with just that down.

Also: Double Hammer is the most fun build and you haven't lived until you try it.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

Exploring the available areas thoroughly will provide all the answers you need.

It's a bit easier to beat BSB after you've unlocked the Cathedral Ward gate, and acquired Black Church attire, which has a higher poison resistance. Learning how to parry, and when to dodge the jump attacks will also help (it puts both hands on the ground just before jumping). I don't usually use antidote at all when fighting BSB.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I wouldn't recommend trying to parry Blood starved beast, especially to new players. If you miss the parry, it's very very punishing. Especially in her enraged state, missing it is a guaranteed one hit kill.

Better to evade, hahah. One neat trick for her is evading *towards* her is actually a very reliable way to avoid her attacks.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Bloodborne is still unique in that watching other people play it - even just reading about - never fails to make me want to fire it up.

A streamer with a lot of viewers spent last night running into a wall when he hit BSB, after luckily cheesing his way past Gascoigne. I can't even imagine playing like that, using the axe in 2h form and exclusively R2ing.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
FUCK YEAH.
Take that you stupid fucker. Used Fire Paper to be able to give more damage to BSB and finally was able to put him down! I was countering his every move, but when he got to that last phase where he shoots poison out of every single body part it got a bit hard, but ended up being able to get him.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
BSB is the easist boss in the game if you know how to figth him.
The
Emissary
disagrees.
I'd say BSB is really hard first time round, one of the biggest walls my first time through, only 2 Old Hunters bosses gave me more trouble, but it's definitely a lot easier second time onwards, when you are comfortable with the game, also very easily to cheese.

FUCK YEAH.
Take that you stupid fucker. Used Fire Paper to be able to give more damage to BSB and finally was able to put him down! I was countering his every move, but when he got to that last phase where he shoots poison out of every single body part it got a bit hard, but ended up being able to get him.
Congrats dude, feels real fucking good doesn't it?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
FUCK YEAH.

c81.gif

Congrats! Well done!

Jan 20, 2019
The
Emissary
disagrees.
I'd say BSB is really hard first time round, one of the biggest walls my first time through, only 2 Old Hunters bosses gave me more trouble, but it's definitely a lot easier second time onwards, when you are comfortable with the game, also very easily to cheese.

Congrats dude, feels real fucking good doesn't it?

No, that boss is harder that BSB( it still is a easy boss)

If you use Pungent Blood Cocktail, BSB is the easist boss in the game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
No, that boss is harder that BSB( it still is a easy boss)

If you use Pungent Blood Cocktail, BSB is the easist boss in the game.
The fact you need to cheese it makes it harder than the
Emissary and no Insight Witches too, now that I'm thinking about it, don't even know how'd you even die to either of those.
BSB can at least still poison you when getting cheesed.
Also, I doubt many who get to BSB when they do 1st time even know what the Blood Cocktails do or that they work on that boss.

Jan 20, 2019
The fact you need to cheese it makes it harder than the
Emissary and no Insight Witches too, now that I'm thinking about it, don't even know how'd you even die to either of those.
BSB can at least still poison you when getting cheesed.
Also, I doubt many who get to BSB when they do 1st time even know what the Blood Cocktails do or that they work on that boss.

True, is a hard boss when you play the first time.

Dec 6, 2017
US
FUCK YEAH.

Someone's getting sucked iiiinnnnnnn!!!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All I can say is that if you ask 10 different BB players what the hardest boss is you'll likely get 10 different answers (if you're excluding DLC and Chalice Dungeons). Boss difficulty is dependent on your playstyle. For instance, I died to Rom at least 2x more than I died to any other boss on my first playthrough.

Yep,
Ebrietas
is the boss I had the most trouble with, even more than any of the Chalice dungeon bosses.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
All I can say is that if you ask 10 different BB players what the hardest boss is you'll likely get 10 different answers (if you're excluding DLC and Chalice Dungeons). Boss difficulty is dependent on your playstyle. For instance, I died to Rom at least 2x more than I died to any other boss on my first playthrough.

Rom has been a pain the ass for me on all four playthroughs, even more so on NG+2 run. Other hard ones would be the last and optional DLC bosses (I never managed to beat the latter on NG+), Pthumerian Descendant in Ihyll chalice, and Abhorrent Beast in Loran chalice. I actually cheesed AB with Poison Knives and Evelyn. Generally, the most challenging bosses for me have been those, that are extremely aggressive and hard/impossible to parry.

Cavsfan767

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
While the OG bloodborne experience is sublime. The dlc boss fights are some of the best boss fights in gaming.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sooo...I died in the woods and now I'm in a prison? What is this life.
There go a ton of souls again.

I'm not supposed to be here right? Every mob is killing me so fast.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You're meant to be here. Avoid the bag enemies and explore. You'll get some good items out of it and you can start a couple sidequests (only one if you killed Djura).

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
In several playthroughs + DLC and chalice dungeons, I have never died to BSB, how do you manage to do it?

I'd say Ebrietas and and Paarl are the most difficult to consistently get through in the main game. Ebrietas has that insane lunge which is pretty hard to dodge (you're better off letting it hit you for less damage) and Paarl is erratic + you have to fight without lock-on if you don't want to fight the camera too. But Paarl can be easy if you know how to dodge through his explosion.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

You got kidnapped by a bag guy. That area is pretty high level (it's mid-ish game), so either run past everything to find items or return after doing the Forbidden Woods.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

Just survive until you can find a lamp post. There is an important weapon you might be able to pick up here for later on though. The guys with the sacks are difficult though until you get stronger.

(BTW, this is a really good place to farm the twin-stone blood shards for upgrading your weapons once you can beat those guys easier.)

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Just survive until you can find a lamp post. There is an important weapon you might be able to pick up here for later on though. The guys with the sacks are difficult though until you get stronger.

(BTW, this is a really good place to farm the twin-stone blood shards for upgrading your weapons once you can beat those guys easier.)

The Snatchers can be cheesed from safe distance with few Poison Knives. I used that trick on my first playthrough.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
So over the weekend I finally beat Rom. I nearly beat him on one of the first tries and then it took like 10 more tries. I started to run low on bolt paper and I didn't want to use it. So I did the tonitrus run and scaled that up to +6 and was able to win after a few tries with that.

I also went back to the path in Forbidden Woods and got an invitation to Cainhurst. When is the best time to go? Currently making my way through unseen village and just lit a lamp in the Cathedral there and died once in a fight downstairs.

So, when should I go to Cainhurst and when should I do the DLC and also the Nightmare Frontier? I'm around Level 62. Using Saw Cleaver +7 as my primary weapon.

Also, I'm trying to open a Level 2 Chalice Dungeon but need more "ritual blood (2)" - I'm assuming that's a different level of ritual blood because I kept buying it at the store and keeps saying not enough materials....I think it says I have 4 but need 6. Where can I get more "ritual blood 2"?

Last edited:

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I remember struggling so much again BSB my first time through the game and then destroy him on my first try the second time I played through the game. He isn't that hard if you never let up the offensive. and keep dodging towards his attacks.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So over the weekend I finally beat Rom. I nearly beat him on one of the first tries and then it took like 10 more tries. I started to run low on bolt paper and I didn't want to use it. So I did the tonitrus run and scaled that up to +6 and was able to win after a few tries with that.

I also went back to the path in Forbidden Woods and got an invitation to Cainhurst. When is the best time to go? Currently making my way through unseen village and just lit a lamp in the Cathedral there and died once in a fight downstairs.

So, when should I go to Cainhurst and when should I do the DLC and also the Nightmare Frontier? I'm around Level 62. Using Saw Cleaver +7 as my primary weapon.
Nightmare frontier can be done now. (Heck, I usually do it before Rom). Cainhurst can also be done now. Save the DLC for the end of the game.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Disagree. Pirate Bae should get her weapon to +10 first. And yeah, Castle Caihurst and Upper Cathedral Ward first for sure as Z-Beat said.
Many players don't even get a +10 weapon before they complete the game though. And honestly, +9 is still pretty good.

Nightmare Frontier and Cainhurst are both totally doable at your level and weapon level. I'd say the DLC is doable, but very hard; maybe wait until you've gotten a +9 or +10 weapon.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Also, on the Nightmare Frontier. The first time I went there another player came in and I had to fight him. I won after using a lot of blood vials, but I don't really want to be fighting other live players at this time....is this something you have to do? I've always played online, but might this be a time when I should play offline to prevent that?

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
So, when should I go to Cainhurst and when should I do the DLC and also the Nightmare Frontier? I'm around Level 62.
I finished my first run (sans DLC) at SL69, and I'm by no mean a very good gamer (and it was my first Soulsborne game), so you can safely assume you can do anyhting outside the DLC at your SL.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Also, on the Nightmare Frontier. The first time I went there another player came in and I had to fight him. I won after using a lot of blood vials, but I don't really want to be fighting other live players at this time....is this something you have to do? I've always played online, but might this be a time when I should play offline to prevent that?

Just play offline. Or find the lady with the bell who summons other players.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Literally just walk into and to the right of BSB and watch every attack go right past you.

That was the boss I had the most trouble with so far, but he's also my favorite boss. And there are so many strategies on youtube. The parry one is definitely the best IMO. I locked on, got right on top of him and stayed to the right.

He's not a hard boss to dodge, but he leaps forward so far that you can't just dodge around to the back and attack like the other bosses. I'm inpatient, so parrying was definitely the best for me rather than dodging and doing small damage.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
BSB is the easist boss in the game if you know how to figth him.

I think he's an extremely well designed boss. To that point all other beasts you just dodge around and attack from the rear. BSB makes this harder but jumping so far forward, putting his rear out of range and frustrating the player. And trying to be overly aggressive usually fails because his poison and hyperactivity in the last stage mean that you have to pick and choose your spots and he will grab and kill anyone hacking and slashing in the front.

I found a close in parry strategy to be the most effective (by far, that is what makes him a breeze), but it took me a while to get there because his most deadly attack, when he grabs you is done when you stand in front of him where you need to be to parry. You just have to stay away when he's raging or when you get hit and need the poison meter to go down, and look for moments when you can be approached and parried.

Everything on the surface about the boss tells you to stay away, but really the key to me is finding opportunities where you can close the distance and get up on him as tightly as possible.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I remember struggling so much again BSB my first time through the game and then destroy him on my first try the second time I played through the game. He isn't that hard if you never let up the offensive. and keep dodging towards his attacks.

Dodging toward the boss is also good advice for
Rom I found. The hardest part of him in the 2nd/3rd phase is not dodging the attacks but getting enough time to get some hits in before he launches the floor and ceiling projectiles. When the things come from the sky I eventually found that I would dodge diagonally away from Rom with my first roll, but then I turned and did 3-4 more rolls towards Rom which put me close enough to him to get some hits in before he rolled on his back again.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Man there is a lot to do in this game.......on my list at the moment of to dos:

- Continue main storyline in Unseen village - currently in cathedral
- Return to the prison in Unseen to take out that optional boss.
- Go through Nightmare Frontier
- Go to Cainhurst Castle.
- Chalice Dungeons.......if I ever figure out how to get more "ritual blood (2)"....only done a level 1 dungeon so far.
- all the DLC

Trying to do my first playthrough on my on without calling in help or summons.....but loving this game. I mean right now I'm pretty much wondering if this is going to move to #1 on my all time list.

I usually don't love spending so much time in "dark games". I was totally planning on playing Yoshi after this - the complete antithesis of Bloodborne - but right now its looking like NG+ or Sekiro, lol.

How you feeling about it Pirate Bae in terms of how good it is? I totally get why it is so many people's GOTG.

Gamonbozia

Feb 25, 2019
Bloodborne is tough, but I think a big part of it is taking your time and not moving too fast. If you rush into a boss without preparing first, you are looking at a lot of wasted resources in the form of blood vials, blood echoes, and other items you use during the fight. I would take your time moving through the game and don't rush too quickly otherwise it could end up taking even longer.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Bloodborne is tough, but I think a big part of it is taking your time and not moving too fast. If you rush into a boss without preparing first, you are looking at a lot of wasted resources in the form of blood vials, blood echoes, and other items you use during the fight. I would take your time moving through the game and don't rush too quickly otherwise it could end up taking even longer.

I was lucky enough playing carefully through the game that I never needed to ever grind blood vials................................... until the first DLC boss broke me.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I haven't played Bloodborne in a bit and watching that BSB fight video a few posts up reminded me of just how evil and menacing the boss fights in this game are. The visual and sound design and aggressive, difficult nature of most of them combine to a quite staggering amount of intimidation especially the first time around.

I was lucky enough playing carefully through the game that I never needed to ever grind blood vials................................... until the first DLC boss broke me.

"Broke me" is the right term, seriously. Ludwig just fucking crushed me even after everything that came before it. It took me a week of attempts to beat him. Just an insane fight and one of the craziest bosses in any game ever.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
- Chalice Dungeons.......if I ever figure out how to get more "ritual blood (2)"....only done a level 1 dungeon so far.

Did you complete the whole dungeon? it should have give you enough material to be able to craft the Depth 2 Chalice. If not you probably missed a chest or something..

Mind you, you don't need to create Root Chalices, only the proper ones (in your case, Central Ptumeru). Roots are only worth once you are at Depth 5 (basically endgame).

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Did you complete the whole dungeon? it should have give you enough material to be able to craft the Depth 2 Chalice. If not you probably missed a chest or something..

Mind you, you don't need to create Root Chalices, only the proper ones (in your case, Central Ptumeru). Roots are only worth once you are at Depth 5 (basically endgame).

Maybe I missed a chest or something. I beat 3 bosses in the first Dungeon in total I think - is that correct?

I have the Central Ptumeru thing you mentioned. I think its saying I need a couple more ritual blood. I tried to buy that at the shop, but it doesn't seem to be the right ritual blood? Is there a difference between "ritual blood (2)" and ritual blood?

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

I have grinded echos/vials a few times. Forbidden Woods seems like the best place. I turnaround, go back up the hill and then make my way to village without going into it. Doing that generally gets me 25000+ echos and 10+ vials. Before Rom that would be good for like 30-40 blood vials in < 10 mins.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I missed a chest or something. I beat 3 bosses in the first Dungeon in total I think - is that correct?

I have the Central Ptumeru thing you mentioned. I think its saying I need a couple more ritual blood. I tried to buy that at the shop, but it doesn't seem to be the right ritual blood? Is there a difference between "ritual blood (2)" and ritual blood?

different one, it's a higher tier of the material, you won't be able to buy them for now.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
different one, it's a higher tier of the material, you won't be able to buy them for now.

Okay, so looks like I need to go back to the dungeon and search for a chest or something I missed or will enemies drop them - will there be any enemies if I've cleared the dungeon?

A little annoying. Rest of the game, seems like finding items is really helpful, but not necessarily required to find all of them. Feel like if I've beaten the bosses I should be able to move on to next dungeon without so much hassle.