• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Just started Bloodborne for the first time. I have been trying to fucking beat Father whatever his fuck his name is and I can't do it. Probably like four hours worth of me preparing and losing. I've leveled up, I (was) stocked on blood vials, I've got my weapon upgraded. I've tried beating him with several weapons, in fact.

I can get him down to his last fucking phase but then he just....ughufhfhushdhddh. I can't even move. I keep getting stuck between the fucking gravestones and it honestly makes me want to break my game disk.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I just suck? Should I give up now? The game is fine. I'm just convinced that I'm garbage.

(I'll be updating this thread as I play through the game as I'm sure to continue to be pissed off)

EDIT: Finally best that fuckface Daddy G. I'm in the Cathedral Ward now.

EDIT 2: Amelia sucks. Witches are dead

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
Git gud.

Paying attention to your surroundings is one of the lessons the fight is trying to teach you. Don't just assume you can mindlessly dodge to safety.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Idk if it's the best approach for the long (get good) game, but there's an item to help you in that fight.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Essentially use your gun and in the last phase use the music box. Dodge attacks. Sounds trivial, because it is.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
It just hasnt clicked yet. My recommendation is to get back to it later when you are not frustrated and you will see the difference. Also try grinding so you can level up a little.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Father Gascoigne is designed to help you learn how to parry and make use of visceral attacks. Essentially what you want to do is shoot your gun directly at an enemy right before their attack lands on you. Afterwards, get up close and attack them and your Hunter will perform a special attack that does insane amounts of damage.

It is perfectly fine to be stuck on him, don't stress it. What I would recommend is getting comfortable parrying enemies first before fighting him. Stock up on molotovs and oil as beast enemies are weak to fire. Furthermore, consider using serrated weapons like the Saw Cleaver (GOAT) and the whip as they also do extra damage against beasts.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If you don't learn to parry, then learn to cheese him with the environment. Run all the way to the top walkway and jump down to the house rooftop. Let him follow you and jump down again. Hell jump down after you but will take a couple frames to recover. Attack him then, just one or two slashes. Rinse and repeat.

But really, learn to parry. You'll need it. And use the music box. And fire!

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Watch videos of strategies and tips on how to beat him and try them out. Use the music box in his last phase then oil and Molotovs if all else fails.
He was the hardest boss for me in the base game and took the most tries, so don't be discouraged. Unlike most other games, the game won't get gradually harder if that's a concern.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
If you need some space kite him up the stairs and then run around and jump off the little roof near the end of the upper level.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Literally just shoot with your gun before he does any attack. He's a piece of cake once you realize this

You can even do this with the beast, but if you can't just Dodge forwards instead of backwards.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Learn the timing to both your own and his attacks. Especially firing your gun. If you time it so that the bullet hits him as he goes in for his swing, he gets stunned. After that, stand in front of him, press R1 and you will do a visceral attack that does massive damage. Father Gascoigne is basically the tutorial to that mechanic.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. Make sure you've fully cleared out the rest of Central Yharnam first before taking out Gascoigne.

2. Parrying is crucial. If you get it right, you can annihilate his second phase.

3. I don't recommend the music box.

I probably have 100 hours in this game, thrice that in all Souls games combined, Gascoigne still fucks my shit up every time I play through Bloodborne. He's an excellent early game boss. One of the best.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Yes. Let the anger flow. Break game discs. You're about to evolve.

Or just watch a speedrun and see what cheese they do.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Second form? Just dodge into every attack he throws at you and he will go right past you, to which you can follow up by attacking. Use the music box. First form is just a limit test to see if you learned how to parry.

The run to this dude sucks and is a bigger problem in general in this compared to other Souls games.
What? He has one of the easiest runs in the series. Theres even a shortcut to get to him.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Also dodging at just the right moments makes you almost invincible because of the i-frames. At ng+ you'll probably laugh at how easy he is once you got accustomes to the systems. Father Gascoigne is a true test for beginners because he uses almost every trick you can imagine in bb.

Try:
Dodging.
Parrying with your weapon.
Getting your health back by hitting right after being hit!

Mind your surroundings, use them to your advantage. Have you tried trick combos? There's one button that changes your weapon to its second state. Try incorporating that into your combo - it's mighty! For example: regular attack a few times + transform + heavy attack. Experiment with this!

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Are you using your gun to counter his attacks?

I didn't even know I could do that so no. :(

It just hasnt clicked yet. My recommendation is to get back to it later when you are not frustrated and you will see the difference. Also try grinding so you can level up a little.

The game is great it's just this fight makes me want to take a sledgehammer to my PlayStation.

Use the music box or fight him on top of the stairs

Stairs???

Father Gascoigne is designed to help you learn how to parry and make use of visceral attacks. Essentially what you want to do is shoot your gun directly at an enemy right before their attack lands on you. Afterwards, get up close and attack them and your Hunter will perform a special attack that does insane amounts of damage.

It is perfectly fine to be stuck on him, don't stress it. What I would recommend is getting comfortable parrying enemies first before fighting him. Stock up on molotovs and oil as beast enemies are weak to fire. Furthermore, consider using serrated weapons like the Saw Cleaver (GOAT) and the whip as they also do extra damage against beasts.

I've been using the threaded cane a lot because it creates distance. Thank you for the other pieces of advice I will definitely practice on the lesser dudes.

Are you using it immediately or when he turns into a beast? Do it when he turne into a beast 4 times

I've been using it during his last phase.

I don't use it before that.

If you don't learn to parry, then learn to cheese him with the environment. Run all the way to the top walkway and jump down to the house rooftop. Let him follow you and jump down again. Hell jump down after you but will take a couple frames to recover. Attack him then, just one or two slashes. Rinse and repeat.

But really, learn to parry. You'll need it. And use the music box. And fire!

I can cheese his first two phases by using the threaded cane and hiding behind gravestones. I didn't know about the steps at all.

And I have no idea on how to parry. Lol. Someone mentioned it above so I'll try it out. Thanks!!!

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Parrying is not really essential. Timing of your dodge and attacks are

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It took me many times to beat him as well, quite normal. Parry with the gun, lead him up the stairs and down through the graveyard again as needed, burn him if you can, save the music box for after he transforms.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Adding this to watch list. "Father whatever his fuck his name is" is where I've taken a break from this game, just cant beat him.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
You don't need to parry to beat him.

In the second form, try and use the gravestones to your advantage and pop the box.

Molotov cocktails if you got 'em.

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
You can do it OP. It's not a race. When you beat him, you will have beaten Bloodborne: he is the hardest boss in the game.

Oh thank god

The run to this dude sucks and is a bigger problem in general in this compared to other Souls games.

Right!!?? They should have put a lantern closer to him tbh, the run back is so annoying.

Learn the timing to both your own and his attacks. Especially firing your gun. If you time it so that the bullet hits him as he goes in for his swing, he gets stunned. After that, stand in front of him, press R1 and you will do a visceral attack that does massive damage. Father Gascoigne is basically the tutorial to that mechanic.

I'm kind of mad they didn't teach anything about parrying beforehand but also I'm not mad because I like it when games make me figure stuff out.

1. Make sure you've fully cleared out the rest of Central Yharnam first before taking out Gascoigne.

2. Parrying is crucial. If you get it right, you can annihilate his second phase.

3. I don't recommend the music box.

I probably have 100 hours in this game, thrice that in all Souls games combined, Gascoigne still fucks my shit up every time I play through Bloodborne. He's an excellent early game boss. One of the best.

Why should I clear it out?

It was rough for me too, but once you learn to time your gunshots to when he's attacking, the fight becomes trivial. I believe in you!

Thanks Beefy <3

Can't wait for the follow up thread in a few months.
"At first I was frustrated with Bloodborne, now it's my GOAT"

Keep at it OP, you'll get there...

Ya basically

Yes. Yes. Let the anger flow. Break game discs. You're about to evolve.

Or just watch a speedrun and see what cheese they do.

It would just make me angrier tbh

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The boss fight that pushed me off the most is the 3 man gank. Did not help that the run up took so long even with short cuts.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, my first stop gap. Even with the music box, I still couldn't beat him. I think I finally managed to beat him by grinding for hours on other peoples games and helped beat him many times to the point that I knew every one of his moves and places to get cheap hits. From then on BB finally clicked (and because a tad easy because I bit OP from then on). The best tip I can offer is to use the pimp cane (Threaded Cane) and take advantage of the trees. to create some distance between him and you.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
He punishes back dodging in his beast form. Try dodging to the sides or towards his attacks if you haven't already. I like the fight, it shows the difference between Bloodborne and the Soul series (except parries being too good lol). Playing Dark Souls 3 without the rally system felt strange, for sure.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat Bloodborne after years of stuggling to even get past the Cleric Beast. I really just needed to change my perspective. I was playing with the threaded cane and attempting to just not get hit. I switched to a more damaging weapon and realized it is okay to get hit if you choose what you get hit by and return the hit immediately to heal yourself up. I never used parry until much later in the game and only on two specific bosses. I don't think it is required for the Father. I found the Hunter's Axe was the easiest weapon to use for the first portion of the game. In two handed mode it has a ton of range and its R2 charge is obscene.

Playing Bloodborne as a blood-crazed berserker was one of the most fun experiences I have had in gaming. I am absolutely awful at action games, so if I can go from failing to even defeat the Cleric Beast to beating most of the bosses on the first try anyone can!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Just started Bloodborne for the first time. I have been trying to fucking beat Father whatever his fuck his name is and I can't do it. Probably like four hours worth of me preparing and losing. I've leveled up, I (was) stocked on blood vials, I've got my weapon upgraded. I've tried beating him with several weapons, in fact.

I can get him down to his last fucking phase but then he just....ughufhfhushdhddh. I can't even move. I keep getting stuck between the fucking gravestones and it honestly makes me want to break my game disk.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I just suck? Should I give up now? The game is fine. I'm just convinced that I'm garbage.

(I'll be updating this thread as I play through the game as I'm sure to continue to be pissed off)

Do you have the cane sword? Since you mention you're trying out different weapons I assume you have the cane sword?

There's a way you can cheese him with the cane sword, it's what I used the first time.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Don't play defensively. Don't dodge backwards. If he attacks from your left, dodge left - through his attack, and fuck him up.
If he hits you, hit him back to heal.
While it's not essential, learning to parry will help you through the entire game. Once you get the timing down you'll feel unstoppable.
I always get hit when I use the music box. It's a cool gimmick and a nice bit of lore, but you don't need it.
Don't be too proud to summon help.

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Gain familiarity with parrying, timing, stamina recovery, dodging; collect more souls, unlock shortcuts, collect useful loot, and the way you word this post makes me think you're missing something... big in the area. What have you done in the game so far?

Well I cleared it out a few times but just to collect blood echoes. I've beaten the Cleric Beast, gotten all the shortcuts, leveled up to like 23 or 24...etc

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Don't give up Pirate Bae! My first time against him took me a loooong time with much frustration but it made the satisfaction of killing him even better!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I just beat Bloodborne after years of stuggling to even get past the Cleric Beast. I really just needed to change my perspective. I was playing with the threaded cane and attempting to just not get hit. I switched to a more damaging weapon and realized it is okay to get hit if you choose what you get hit by and return the hit immediately to heal yourself up. I never used parry until much later in the game and only on two specific bosses. I don't think it is required for the Father. I found the Hunter's Axe was the easiest weapon to use for the first portion of the game. In two handed mode it has a ton of range and its R2 charge is obscene.

Playing Bloodborne as a blood-crazed berserker was one of the most fun experiences I have had in gaming.
Yup, like another poster said ITT, Father Gascoigne really highlights the difference between Dark Souls and Bloodborne. If you play aggressively, the game is massively rewarding. I remember getting thrashed by the Blood-starved Beast like 24 times and that was because I was trying to play the game like Dark Souls. At one point, I was so fucking frustrated that I just shut my brain off and started playing super aggressive and lo and behold I managed to beat him. I feel that the game clicked for me at that point and almost 600 hours later, I still can't get enough.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I cleared it out a few times but just to collect blood echoes. I've beaten the Cleric Beast, gotten all the shortcuts, leveled up to like 23 or 24...etc
Oh, okay. Sounds like you're good.

The deal with Gascoigne is that you'll get overwhelmed if you play defensively. Punish him, stay active, don't let him corner you, try to parry.

I've had protracted, intense fights I won and lost, and fights where one of us was dead in 50 seconds.