• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The later chalic dungeons feature floors where you can net 70,000 easy in three to five minutes of slaying. Lower Pthumerian Labyrinth, Ailing Loran, Lower Loran, especially with modifiers on.

I remember there's a second and third floor combo in a few of those that's like 130,000 echos in under ten minutes. Any time I was having trouble with a boss I'd jump in there for half an hour and level up thrice.

Nowadays you can jump into a 4way-cursed Chalice (enabling a deleted curse from the game) and get like 300k echoes in a packed room. Problem is that your HP is cut to +90% so it's 1hit-ko's everywhere.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Most of my frustration with Bloodborne came from having just beaten Demon's Souls before trying it. The gameplay felt so different and at the time I didn't feel like taking the time to adapt.

Been wanting to give it a try again but I have Sekiro pre-ordered and don't want to get side-tracked while mid-playthrough.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
He's real sensitive to bolt/electric damage and always hit him from the side as he's shielded in the face. So use bolt paper, but that can be in short supply so I would probably do some runs and make sure you can get him down to 1/3 health before attempting that. Alternatively the Tonitrus can be used and is really effective if you upgrade it. My strategy was to kill the first set of spider minions, you can take your time because he won't attack you. Then do as much damage as you can can with electric weapon and you can still hit him when he is transporting - in fact I think he takes extra damage there so don't stop hitting him and make sure you save stamina to get late licks in.

From this point forward I would just try to run around the spider minions. Its more risky to get hit by his arcane stuff while you are trying to take them out then just running around him. Keep your eye on Rom and if he sits up that means projectiles from the sky are coming. Dodge roll these, but the key is to try and dodge them in a way that closes the distance to Rom. I would dodge away from Rom on first roll and then start rolling diagonally towards him. There is a really narrow window between arcane attacks so you want to try and close the distance. When you go in to hit his sides between arcane attacks don't get greedy. Get a couple shots in and then get away for a while When he rolls over on his back that means floor projectiles are coming around him, so get away. You can get killed by being greedy for hits because that one happens fast.

So really after the first teleport its really just about avoiding the spiders, and arcane damage, and getting a few hits in when you can. If you have the Tonitrus or bolt paper it makes the fight easier because he damages more rapidly to bolt. A +6 Tonitrus if all else fails.

I beat him with Tonitrus without the Old Hunter. However, Lower Pthumerian Chalice Layer 4 Boss??? FUCK THAT. He's harder than Rom

I'm just going to run through NG+ since I'm only Lv 83, +8 weapons (Hunter Axe and Ludwig Blade but with 18% gems)

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Most of my frustration with Bloodborne came from having just beaten Demon's Souls before trying it. The gameplay felt so different and at the time I didn't feel like taking the time to adapt.

Been wanting to give it a try again but I have Sekiro pre-ordered and don't want to get side-tracked while mid-playthrough.

The impressions I've read and listened to from Sekiro indicate the combat is probably closer to Bloodborne than Dark Souls, but also very much its own thing. So seems reasonable to try again after Sekiro.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
The impressions I've read and listened to from Sekiro indicate the combat is probably closer to Bloodborne than Dark Souls, but also very much its own thing. So seems reasonable to try again after Sekiro.

Yeah I noticed it's similar to Bloodborne as well, which is why I'm strictly playing Bloodborne up til the release of Sekiro.

Rom only has 4 attacks and only one can hit you at range. Take your time with the adds and watch him for the wind ups

I killed him already. I'm struggling against the Bloodletting Beast, but I gave up and started NG+.

In NG+, which items are important for the story And/OR accessing new areas?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In NG+, which items are important for the story And/OR accessing new areas?
Cainhurst Summons for Cainhurst and 3 third of the umbilical cord for moon presence fight, and the upper cathedral ward key. The rest you'll find as you go

Only about 7 bosses are required to get to the end of the game, 8 for the 2nd ending, and 9 for the 3rd

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Cainhurst Summons for Cainhurst and 3 third of the umbilical cord for moon presence fight, and the upper cathedral ward key. The rest you'll find as you go

Only about 7 bosses are required to get to the end of the game, 8 for the 2nd ending, and 9 for the 3rd

Thanks. I knew I was forgetting stuff outside the 3 cords

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Wait till you get to Rom. He'll make you want to rip your hair out.
This guy did not pose a threat to me, surprisingly.
Engage with charged heavy
Back off when babies come out
Lure them away
B line to rom with blood pellet and fire buffs
Rinse and repeat
I always lured babies away then sprint around to his sides.
I don't think I killed any babies

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
This guy did not pose a threat to me, surprisingly.
Engage with charged heavy
Back off when babies come out
Lure them away
B line to rom with blood pellet and fire buffs
Rinse and repeat
I always lured babies away then sprint around to his sides.
I don't think I killed any babies

Or just use Tonitrus and he's dead in 5 mins or less

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Or just use Tonitrus and he's dead in 5 mins or less

Second that. Take out first swarm of spiders to lessen how many you deal with, then hit him with charged +6 Tonitrus. If lucky you may get him to half damage by the end of the first time he warps out. Then just dodge the spiders and watch for the arcane stuff. Don't get greedy. 2 or 3 hits when you get a chance then regroup.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone hasn't played the Old Hunters DLC but enjoyed Bloodborne, you have to. It has some of the best bosses in the game and the additions to the story and world just add a whole new layer. It's like the key to so many puzzles.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't able to play again until last night. Went through the orphanage and took care of the
Celestial Emissary
. But then I located
Ebrietas
I haven't been successful in 5 or so attempts against her. But I did look at some strategies and got close on one of the last tries. Hoping tonight I can take her out.

- So I beat the One Reborn and then I went off and did Cainhurst and am finishing the Orphanage.
- My question is whether now is the time to do the DLC once I finish the Orphanage side quest. I know from some spoilers that at some point
Hunter's Dream is going to be set on fire
and I think I would like to do DLC before that, and I definitely want to do it before NG+ to make it more managable. I'm around Level 73 I think on my first run.

HotTakeCakes

Alt account
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Reading
I must have gotten lucky as I managed to beat him 1st time. Wasn't a fan of the game at all when it came out and it took hours for me to get into it.

I think it was the 1st forrest area where it finally clicked with me and I played it until I completed it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't able to play again until last night. Went through the orphanage and took care of the
Celestial Emissary
. But then I located
Ebrietas
I haven't been successful in 5 or so attempts against her. But I did look at some strategies and got close on one of the last tries. Hoping tonight I can take her out.

- So I beat the One Reborn and then I went off and did Cainhurst and am finishing the Orphanage.
- My question is whether now is the time to do the DLC once I finish the Orphanage side quest. I know from some spoilers that at some point
and I think I would like to do DLC before that, and I definitely want to do it before NG+ to make it more managable. I'm around Level 73 I think on my first run.

Keep going till you find Nicolas Cage. Once you beat him, go do the DLC.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Celestial Emissary
. But then I located
Ebrietas

when you kill Mergo's Wet Nurse, THEN the Hunters Dream is on Fire. After that, you have a choice to make with Gehrman (the 3 endings). I'd suggest killing Mergo's Wet Nurse, THEN do the DLC since it's much harder to do in NG+. I just read up on it this morning and decided to reload a save file from a USB drive to skip NG+ and work on DLC.

If you're level 73 now, once you enter the endgame, you should be closer to BL80.

Keep going till you find Nicolas Cage. Once you beat him, go do the DLC.

I heard DLC is really tough if you do BEFORE finishing the game (along with all optional bosses)

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
when you kill Mergo's Wet Nurse, THEN the Hunters Dream is on Fire. After that, you have a choice to make with Gehrman (the 3 endings). I'd suggest killing Mergo's Wet Nurse, THEN do the DLC since it's much harder to do in NG+. I just read up on it this morning and decided to reload a save file from a USB drive to skip NG+ and work on DLC.

If you're level 73 now, once you enter the endgame, you should be closer to BL80.

I heard DLC is really tough if you do BEFORE finishing the game (along with all optional bosses)

I count with people doing the optional areas yeah. After that boss there shouldnt be much of a difference and if you fully finish the game you'll jump straight to NG+. One of the main points of the DLC being hard is that the difficulty jump on NG+ is pretty harsh in the DLC.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I've heard, that you want to do it before NG+ because the difficulty scales up....and obviously you have to wait until you get past to Vicar to activate it again. I would think that where I will be by the time I start on my initial run (75+ level) will probably correspond to better than where I'll be on NG+ scale after beating Vicar.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned a few pages back that this thread inspired me to dust my (digital) copy of BB off and do another run. My absolute favorite thing about BB is how it's like learning how to ride a bike. 2 years ago, I sucked so bad and thought I would never beat Cleric Beast. Now, I'm one shotting most bosses after not having played for well over a year. Headed to the Woods now.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Wait till you get to Rom. He'll make you want to rip your hair out.

I put the game down 3 years ago in frustration because of Rom. I decided to pick the game back up a few days ago, I put in another 15 tries and beat him. I had forgotten how to play the game so a couple of those tries were just getting used to the controls again and what item does what. Feels good though. I used the saw cleaver with fire damage added which seemed to drain his life faster.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Rom was one of the toughest I faced so far. I'd say Blood-Starved Beast, Rom, and Ebreitas were the hardest I've faced. But there are definitely working strategies for each. Most people use bolt paper or the tonitrus on Rom because he's real sensitive to bolt damage.

I beat Ebreitas last night......although I should say it was a draw, lol. I got a Prey Slaughtered screen immediately followed by a You Died screen. So I didn't get to stand there and admire my work. I guess I got hit with his summon as I was dealing the last blow. That's a first for me!

On Ebreitas btw
I beat him using the strategy of sticking close and staying at his back for the most part. I actually think they should have made him a little easier to beat by attacking his head and avoiding damage up front. Seems a bit like cheesing the way I beat him, but its very challenging to fight him from any distance and avoid frenzy - Sedatives cost so much that I didn't want to try. He's got so many well designed attacks, that it seems like a bit of a waste for most players to get so close to him that it makes all of that design somewhat pointless.
I like that bloodborne bosses often don't have only one way to beat them and you can do different strategies. But in some cases I wish that hack/slash bully strategies weren't so effective - I mean some bosses I couldn't even tell you how I did it other than just dodging and hitting. I would love just to be able to replay some of these boss fights outside of the main game.

So I'm now making my way through the Nightmare of Mensis, but will probably detour to the DLC soon.

So far on bosses -

Required several (>7-8) attempts: Blood Starved Beast, Rom, and Ebreitas
Required multiple(~4-5) attempts: Father Gascoigne, Martyr Logarius
Required a couple of attempts: Vicar Amelia, Cleric Beast, Celestial Emmissary, Witch of Hemwick (last 2 pretty easy but I was careless)
Beat on first try: Amygdala, Shadow of Yharnam, The One Reborn, Darkbeast Paarl (some of these I was liberal with the blood vials and possibly overpowered)

The one reborn I didn't even bother to take out the
bell ringers. I just kept dodging and doing damage constantly.

My favorite bosses so far are BSB, Father G, and M. Logarius which interestingly are more humanoid style. I really liked Amygdala, Shadow of Yharnam, and The One Reborn as well.

Last edited:

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
It's always interesting to see different people struggling with different bosses. For me, BSB was one of the easiest bosses in the game, but a lot of people struggle with it, and then I really hated fighting Paarl and some people killed it on the first try

You actually made me look up my notes when I was fighting the bosses

First try: BSB, Amelia, Hemwick Witch, Amygdala, Rom, The One Reborn, Nicolas Cage ;), and the final three bosses (mandatory + the other two)
3 tries: Cleric Beast and Ebrietas
5 tries: Gascoigne, Paarl and Nazguls
6 tries: Logarius

Finished the game on lvl 75 and +10 Ludwig's Holy Blade. I'd say Logarius, Ebrietas and Paarl are the most difficult in the long run, on my subsequent playthroughs only Ebrietas and Paarl managed to kill me.

I'd say a lot of chalice stuff is much more difficult, like Undead Giant, Headless Bloodletting Beast, Cursed Watchdog or Abhorrent Beast (fuck this guy).

And for the DLC I wasn't even counting because I got destroyed hard by the first two bosses since I was playing it for the first time on NG+ and was on lvl 110. People are not exagerating, L & L are absolutely insane.

Ludwig took me over an hour and Laurence two and a half. I got Living Failures on the first try, Maria was 3 or four tries and, thankfuly, I didn't have such a hard time against the Orphan, I know people hate him, it only took 3 or 4 tries for me.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amygdala was my problem boss. My loadout is tailored to close range so hitting its weak points was difficult

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Amygdala was my problem boss. My loadout is tailored to close range so hitting its weak points was difficult

Amygdala is actually very fun to fight with short weapons, it kinda reminds me of old school bosses who had different phases, and you couldn't fight them head on. Search my posts in this thread, I've posted my fight with Blades of Mercy.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Took care of Micolash last night, did some dungeon work, and then went into the DLC.

The DLC is a step up so far, but the combat is fun. I really like fighting other NPC Hunters, its more fast unpredictable and the viscerals are really fun to pull off. Haven't fought the first boss yet and I'm anxious about that because I hear he's really hard. I think I've already seen him though and taken something from his hand.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Took care of Micolash last night, did some dungeon work, and then went into the DLC.

The DLC is a step up so far, but the combat is fun. I really like fighting other NPC Hunters, its more fast unpredictable and the viscerals are really fun to pull off. Haven't fought the first boss yet and I'm anxious about that because I hear he's really hard. I think I've already seen him though and taken something from his hand.
About the latter thing...

That's not the first boss. That IS a boss though, but the item you need to activate him comes after the first boss.

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Update: I haven't played much because of work and real life stuff. Going to get back into it tonight. Going to Cainhurst because the other places are hard lol

Subomie

Feb 16, 2019
The OP reminded me that I was always kind of shocked to see how few players got even remotely far in the game. Even the earliest trophies were achieved by like less than 50% of players. That's insane.

Even on Dark Souls III the first boss trophy was at least at ~88%ish.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The OP reminded me that I was always kind of shocked to see how few players got even remotely far in the game. Even the earliest trophies were achieved by like less than 50% of players. That's insane.

Conversely, Bloodborne's platinum trophy had a pretty decent attainment rate. The people who persevere really persevere. Although it's probably cratered since it was free on PS Plus.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Probably because a lot of players got the game via PS+ and then gave up after wandering around Central Yharnam for 5 minutes. A know a couple of friends did.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
About the latter thing...

That's not the first boss. That IS a boss though, but the item you need to activate him comes after the first boss.

I found Ludwig last night. One word about that fight: thrilling.

Took me about 7 tries.
First couple I was just dodging like crazy but doing hardly any damage. After second try I got the idea I should be dodging forward to his more open side instead of backwards and that became the key to getting him down to half damage. When he got the blade that took about 3-4 more tries. In the end it was just a matter of learning to dodge around the ranged damage, keeping health high, and getting in and doing some damage up close. Not sure if at any point you can parry this guy, but it never worked for me.

Definitely one of my favorite bosses, if not favorite so far. Every attempt was just heart racing. He's more constantly aggressive than any other boss I've played.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Conversely, Bloodborne's platinum trophy had a pretty decent attainment rate. The people who persevere really persevere. Although it's probably cratered since it was free on PS Plus.

It is amazing that Cleric Beast trophy is only at 48%. But to be honest, I think opening that first gate shortcut in the game was the point I've been stuck at the longest. The game throws a big wall at you right away, both in terms of the bonfire street and in terms of the first couple of bosses. Get by that and its much more manageable.

Most of the trophies are related to bosses. I'm not going to get the platinum on my first run because I missed a side quest with the crow hunter and I will definitely still have work to do in the chalice dungeons. But I'll have almost all the trophies I think and it will be within reach on run 2. I'm playing this after RDR2 and I put 100+ hours in that one and got may 40% of trophies - its got some ridiculous out of left field things to do for trophies like survive 20 grizzly bear attacks. Bloodborne on the other hand is pretty straightforward, and I appreciate them attaching trophies to all bosses because it is part of the reward.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Update: I haven't played much because of work and real life stuff. Going to get back into it tonight. Going to Cainhurst because the other places are hard lol

Cainhurst is a really good part of the game. Enjoyed the area and boss. Make sure not to just leave the area after beating the boss though........reeks of hidden path.......

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
The run to this dude sucks and is a bigger problem in general in this compared to other Souls games.

This post confuses me ;P ... it's so fast to get to him once you have opened the path. Kill two big dudes, ride elevator, let flame bolder kill pack of dudes, kill one more big dude and his little friend then boom, boss. Likely you won't even get hit on the way, and you can top out your vials too. Takes like 30 seconds.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Played this for the first time last year. It took me about a month or so of playing here and there to platinum the game and the DLC.

Love the atmosphere and exploration. Kind of hate the boss fights. They were never that much fun for me, especially the large monster ones.

Killed Child of Kos on the 5th try the first day I fought him before someone tells me I didn't understand the mechanics or need to get good. Something about it felt kind of sloppy to me. Imprecise.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I didn't know this thread existed when I played through this year, but if I did my posts would consist almost entirely of me cursing at the Blood-Starved Beast and Rom the Vacuous Spider. I got most of the other main game bosses on my first shot, but those took me damn near forever, holy hell.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Level 59 with +8 saw cleaver good enough for cainhurst?

Should be doable, but depends on your skill level. I was probably a higher level but my weapon was a +7. I found the base enemies inside the castle to be easier than the ones outside the castle but more numerous and you have to be slow and observant. I did not have an encounter here that I think you can have if you've done eileen the crow quest.

Boss fight is probably in the upper third of difficulty of what you've played so far, but there are patterns and doable.

I would say if you aren't overly confident I would level up some more and try it after you're 65, but its not as challenging as Upper Cathedral Ward or DLC. If you've done forbidden woods, shadow, and Rom, I think you can handle it.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I got turned off the DLC because I came to it a while later and I came to it in NG+ and I was getting my ass kicked a lot, especially when I got to the first boss. Made me wish I had made a save before I started NG+, but I didn't have one. Some day I will come back to it and try it with a fresh run but it's really hard to get motivated to do that. I'm sure the DLC is quality though.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know this thread existed when I played through this year, but if I did my posts would consist almost entirely of me cursing at the Blood-Starved Beast and Rom the Vacuous Spider. I got most of the other main game bosses on my first shot, but those took me damn near forever, holy hell.

Those were the 2 bosses I got the most stuck on, but they also are some of the best. BSB may still be my favorite. When I learned to parry that guy it was so rewarding.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I got turned off the DLC because I came to it a while later and I came to it in NG+ and I was getting my ass kicked a lot, especially when I got to the first boss. Made me wish I had made a save before I started NG+, but I didn't have one. Some day I will come back to it and try it with a fresh run but it's really hard to get motivated to do that. I'm sure the DLC is quality though.

I beat that first DLC boss last night and it was awesome, but I'm doing the DLC before I finish my first playthrough so that I don't have to do them, at least the first time, when they scale on NG+. I think maybe if you level up and get later into the story on the NG+ it would become more doable.

I kinda wish they had somehow made the DLC separate and perhaps adjusted difficulty in some way, so that you don't have to play a long way into a second run to do it - only to perhaps enter it underleveled unless you keep playing the main story for a good while longer. And doing it the way I'm doing it, while easier it breaks up the main story a bit and I didn't feel comfortable in attempting it until very late in the story.

Its really fun though, but might make going back to main game feel tame later on for me.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I beat that first DLC boss last night and it was awesome, but I'm doing the DLC before I finish my first playthrough so that I don't have to do them, at least the first time, when they scale on NG+. I think maybe if you level up and get later into the story on the NG+ it would become more doable.

I kinda wish they had somehow made the DLC separate and perhaps adjusted difficulty in some way, so that you don't have to play a long way into a second run to do it - only to perhaps enter it underleveled unless you keep playing the main story for a good while longer. And doing it the way I'm doing it, while easier it breaks up the main story a bit and I didn't feel comfortable in attempting it until very late in the story.

Its really fun though, but might make going back to main game feel tame later on for me.

It probably didn't help that I was pretty rusty cause I hadn't played it in quite a while. I definitely want to get back to it at some point

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

The early start of NG+ is easy no matter if you do the DLC or not, and levels stop having much importance once you have your main stats at the softcap, let's say around 120 or so. Hell def is pretty worthless and even still it stops leveling up completely at lvl 143.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
BSB may still be my favorite. When I learned to parry that guy it was so rewarding.

That was a great moment for sure. What turned that fight around for me was deciding NOT to do the NPC summon. Turns out he was just making it way more chaotic and unpredictable for me.

The opposite was true for Rom. I could only ever make headway when I finally did do the NPC summon because of his long-range magic attacks.

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
My advice to anyone is to not be afraid or too proud to summon people, or practice bosses by being summoned. It's a game mechanic, you can use it! It's tons of fun to roll up on bosses with a guy/gal at your side.