• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found Ludwig last night. One word about that fight: thrilling.
giphy.gif

One piece of the beautifully perfect end run consisting of some of the best boss encounters I've ever had the joy to battle. Utter sublime rapture!

I got turned off the DLC because I came to it a while later and I came to it in NG+ and I was getting my ass kicked a lot, especially when I got to the first boss. Made me wish I had made a save before I started NG+, but I didn't have one. Some day I will come back to it and try it with a fresh run but it's really hard to get motivated to do that. I'm sure the DLC is quality though.
The DLC contains (arguably) the best bosses in the game, with one of the most twisted and fantastic settings as well. Do yourself a favor and find a way back to that tortured place- the destiny of all blood drunk hunters to wander, cursed eternal...

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Just don't give up after you meet the first bunch of enemies there (they are my most hated regular enemies in the game), the rest of the castle is easier.

lol, when I encountered them in that river of blood in the DLC the first time, I turned around and hoped that wasn't the main path. fortunately you can mostly run around them. I think I killed them all the first time I realized I had to go that way, but on subsequent runs I just ran around them once I had all the drops in that area.

But yeah, when you fight them outside of Cainhurst, don't get discouraged because they are pretty much the toughest regular enemies in that region.

Overall though I find the brainsucking enemies to be the most difficult regular enemies so far. And the walking brain enemies that induce Frenzy just by looking at you are the most annoying, along with those bolder throwers in the Nightmare frontier.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Brainsuckers are easy mode if you have rifle spear. They are extremely vulnerable to thrust atracks, charge the transformed R2 and it almost one-shots them.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
My least favourite enemies are not the Cainhurst ones you're all talking about, but they're very close to them.

Close in design or location? Can't think of other enemies in Cainhurst that bothered me that much. There are spiders that are annoying in Mensis that I've encountered. And the red sack version of the cainhurst bugs in the DLC are more annoying versions. Just hard to get around the back of those guys and they can hit you in front from a distance that is usually a safe place against most enemies.

Actually the enemies that annoy me the most are ones that throw projectiles or shoot at you. Fodder when you are near them, but when I'm fighting a hunter or some dangerous enemy I hate having to worry about getting hit by those guys (and then the enemy you were trying to melee, laying into you because you just took a bullet.)

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Close in design or location? Can't think of other enemies in Cainhurst that bothered me that much. There are spiders that are annoying in Mensis that I've encountered. And the red sack version of the cainhurst bugs in the DLC are more annoying versions. Just hard to get around the back of those guys and they can hit you in front from a distance that is usually a safe place against most enemies.

Actually the enemies that annoy me the most are ones that throw projectiles or shoot at you. Fodder when you are near them, but when I'm fighting a hunter or some dangerous enemy I hate having to worry about getting hit by those guys (and then the enemy you were trying to melee, laying into you because you just took a bullet.)
Close in location. The stupid worms guarding that one item. I died to them a really embarrassing number of times. There are other enemies that are more dangerous, but none are more humiliating to die to.

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019
Just started Bloodborne for the first time. I have been trying to fucking beat Father whatever his fuck his name is and I can't do it. Probably like four hours worth of me preparing and losing. I've leveled up, I (was) stocked on blood vials, I've got my weapon upgraded. I've tried beating him with several weapons, in fact.

I can get him down to his last fucking phase but then he just....ughufhfhushdhddh. I can't even move. I keep getting stuck between the fucking gravestones and it honestly makes me want to break my game disk.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I just suck? Should I give up now? The game is fine. I'm just convinced that I'm garbage.

(I'll be updating this thread as I play through the game as I'm sure to continue to be pissed off)

EDIT: Finally best that fuckface Daddy G. I'm in the Cathedral Ward now.

EDIT 2: Amelia sucks. Witches are dead

Wait for the martyr, that's going to make all the pain go away, instead one shall hallucinate of jumping off the tower the minute you get close to him :)

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I am frustrated that i missed like 4 trophies for the plat and have to go through the game again on NG+ :(

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Shout outs to sercalvastan if you're on Era, you carried my dumb ass through martyr logarious just now.

Cainhurst was easier than expected tbh

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Took me a fucking week to beat the Shadows of Yharnam I can't believe it. I don't remember them being so difficult on my past BL4 run. If they were so hard I can't imagine the actually hard bosses. Rom fell in just a few attempts.

Gonna pause this for DMCV though. I'll go back to it in April probably (due to Sekiro). Just bad timing on my part to start a BL4 run now.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Took me a fucking week to beat the Shadows of Yharnam I can't believe it. I don't remember them being so difficult on my past BL4 run. If they were so hard I can't imagine the actually hard bosses. Rom fell in just a few attempts.

Gonna pause this for DMCV though. I'll go back to it in April probably (due to Sekiro). Just bad timing on my part to start a BL4 run now.
I swear without the online assist feature I'd be dead in soulsbornenioh in every boss fight. It's probably because I suck at these games but I still love playing them. Since Sekiro does not have this feature and the bosses look every bit as daunting, I'm not sure if I can finish the game.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Started what is to be my first full playthrough of the game a few days ago. I played it before, but was simply too scared of the game to continue. I remember getting ambushed by a dude in a wheelchair in a dark house and I decided this wasn't the game for me. Now, years later, the setting and all the horror tropes still aren't my cup of tea, but I feel like I have a good shot at making it after I have been steeled by DS1R and DS3 last year.

That said... I just experienced my first ragequit. Cleric Beast went down on my second try, Gascoigne on my first (didn't even use the box). Not many bosses scare me anymore after surviving Sister Friede in DS3. No, it are the normal enemies that are fucking me up. These shitty 'brick trolls' (I think that is what they are called?) in particular. I know I can just parry them, but I would need to do it twice and that just feels like a waste of bullets. Yet every time I try to finish them off with normal attacks after the first visceral attack they just charge me to death somehow. Culminating in my latest attempt where we traded blows and my attack should have killed, but for some reason the game ignored it entirely and I got combo'd to death instead.

Time for a break...

tiandrad

Feb 6, 2018
My only frustration with this game is the frame rate. Please pray we get a remastered 60 FPS version of this game on ps5.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Started what is to be my first full playthrough of the game a few days ago. I played it before, but was simply too scared of the game to continue. I remember getting ambushed by a dude in a wheelchair in a dark house and I decided this wasn't the game for me. Now, years later, the setting and all the horror tropes still aren't my cup of tea, but I feel like I have a good shot at making it after I have been steeled by DS1R and DS3 last year.

That said... I just experienced my first ragequit. Cleric Beast went down on my second try, Gascoigne on my first (didn't even use the box). Not many bosses scare me anymore after surviving Sister Friede in DS3. No, it are the normal enemies that are fucking me up. These shitty 'brick trolls' (I think that is what they are called?) in particular. I know I can just parry them, but I would need to do it twice and that just feels like a waste of bullets. Yet every time I try to finish them off with normal attacks after the first visceral attack they just charge me to death somehow. Culminating in my latest attempt where we traded blows and my attack should have killed, but for some reason the game ignored it entirely and I got combo'd to death instead.

Time for a break...

I really wouldn't worry about bullets. They are in shorter supply early on, but never really become an issue as inventory (antidote and sedative are really the only somewhat regularly used inventory item that I recall become an issue, and maybe fire/bolt paper but those are more luxury than necessity). And you can always sacrife health to get 5 more bullets. Its not a waste of bullets if it helps you defeat enemies that are giving you trouble. (Not to mention its probably the most satisfying attack mechanic in the game....or just about any game.)

And actually you can parry when they charge you.

Not sure though how you are able to beat all those other bosses so easily and these ones give you trouble. That's a unique experience I would think. After you parry them once, you can probably just run up to them and hit them while they are getting up and it should be enough to kill them. You don't have to do two parrys. At a certain point you'll get powerful enough where 1 parry is sufficient to kill them.

Alternatively you can beat them by dodging around these attacks just like you do the bosses. These enemies are generally considered easy parry ones though, so I think that is the best mechanic, but can be beaten in other ways.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

It's so funny how different bosses hit people differently. I beat Shadows first try and thought it was one of the easiest bosses. Meanwhile Ebrietas I actually uninstalled after a few hours of getting hit by her BS hitboxes, yet others say she was nbd.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Okay. So update on my status:

Old Hunters DLC is complete with all trophies earned! This is good because I only want to go back there in my second run if I want to.

- The bosses in the DLC were sublime.
Especially Ludwig, Maria, and Orphan.....Ludwig is my favorite powerful beast type boss in the game, and Maria/Orphan felt big time back and forth title bouts. Laurence was good as well and actually the one I struggled with the most. I took him down to 5-10% health on my first try and then like 7-8 tries later I finally beat him.

- Really glad to have captured all of the weapons. Those 2 damn sharks are tougher than any boss battle in the game. Thank God for the
Shaman bone blade. I tried without it but could not do it. And I nearly died sticking it in one of them. I loved watching them beat the crap out of each other.

- Doing a little more dungeon work - I'm planning to finish the dungeons on my second run, but I don't want to leave it all for that run.

- Picking back up on the main game story probably tonight. I left off after defeating Micolash.

Any tips on finishing my first run.....things to do, etc.... I think I have heard there are multiple endings. So does each ending have a different trophy? And is there a way to get those trophies without beating it more than once?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Making my way into Old Yharnam. Finally defeated Djura after three tries. After the first two attempts at a clean duel, the third and final one played out pretty much like this:

0417CD7913474F024F9D3542F4C0C52E0739B0BC

Fuck you, Djura.

After having played through Central Yharnam with all three starter weapons and the Saw Spear, I have decided to focus on the latter for the time being. The Hunter's Axe can be pretty good as well (though not for my current skill build). Cleaver is okay, but I prefer the Spear's moveset. I felt the Cane was pretty weak, but I have read it only really comes into its own later down the line, after a few upgrades, so for the moment I do upgrade it whenever the Spear hits it limit.

I really wouldn't worry about bullets. They are in shorter supply early on, but never really become an issue as inventory (antidote and sedative are really the only somewhat regularly used inventory item that I recall become an issue, and maybe fire/bolt paper but those are more luxury than necessity). And you can always sacrife health to get 5 more bullets. Its not a waste of bullets if it helps you defeat enemies that are giving you trouble. (Not to mention its probably the most satisfying attack mechanic in the game....or just about any game.)

And actually you can parry when they charge you.

Not sure though how you are able to beat all those other bosses so easily and these ones give you trouble. That's a unique experience I would think. After you parry them once, you can probably just run up to them and hit them while they are getting up and it should be enough to kill them. You don't have to do two parrys. At a certain point you'll get powerful enough where 1 parry is sufficient to kill them.

Alternatively you can beat them by dodging around these attacks just like you do the bosses. These enemies are generally considered easy parry ones though, so I think that is the best mechanic, but can be beaten in other ways.
My dealings with the brick trolls have improved a bit, but they still catch me off-guard sometimes. There is something about the parry window of their attacks that feels off to me, their charge attack in particular. Luckily most can be killed with one visceral attack if you keep your weapon fully upgraded.

It is something of a recurring theme for me in the Soulsborne games to do reasonably well against bosses, only to go down like a chump against the most common of foes. Maybe I simply underestimate them?

It's so funny how different bosses hit people differently. I beat Shadows first try and thought it was one of the easiest bosses. Meanwhile Ebrietas I actually uninstalled after a few hours of getting hit by her BS hitboxes, yet others say she was nbd.
That is my experience with the Crystal Sage in Dark Souls 3. Everyone says he is piss easy, but he is one of the hardest bosses in the game for me. Meanwhile, the Dancer has never given me trouble whatsoever, and she is usually ranked as one of the hardest.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

And its not just that different bosses are hard for different people. But sometimes people have trouble with a boss they already beat on a previous run, or you might get the boss down to <10% health on your first go and then can't get them to 50% health on the next few runs. I think some boss behavior is variable.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Keep in mind this iss a Blood Level 4 run :p. Bosses that seem easy on normal runs can be nightmarsh in BL4. I assure you Living Failures become a completely different boss on BL4 lmao.
Fuck Ebrietas either way though. One of the hardest bosses.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind this iss a Blood Level 4 run :p. Bosses that seem easy on normal runs can be nightmarsh in BL4. I assure you Living Failures become a completely different boss on BL4 lmao.
Fuck Ebrietas either way though. One of the hardest bosses.

My problem with Ebrietas is that you can beat him just by getting up underneath him and slashing away and constantly circling. He's got one of the best offensive arsenals of any boss and I think he was intended to be beaten by damaging his his head/mouth, but he's so hard that going for his base/trunk and just circling is a much easier way and probably the way he's beaten most often.

IMO, they should perhaps should have lessened the damage of his attacks and make it a little easier to fight face-to-face, but also do something to take away him being so vulnerable to someone getting at the trunk and tail. That would have led to a more balanced boss and people would appreciate beating him more because they would have had to dodge and deal with all his offensive attacks, rather than just running up to his trunk and attacking away.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Any tips on finishing my first run.....things to do, etc.... I think I have heard there are multiple endings. So does each ending have a different trophy? And is there a way to get those trophies without beating it more than once?

If you have PS+ you can backup a save before the final boss and do all the endings.

About dungeons, if you want you can skip all of them minus depth 1 and 5. They are all pretty much similar so you don't miss much, other than maybe some boss that you could find later if you do some chalice depth 5 runs.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Died five times, but I made it to the Old Abandoned Workshop. Didn't expect to get a Silver Trophy for that!

Place gaven me the heebie-jeebies; it felt like one of the earliest places the game's weirdness starts to leak through the cracks. Don't know if I am looking forward to the moment the dam finally bursts...

BSB died in two attempts, by the way. That was a good boss fight. Not particularly memorable, but fun nonetheless.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Died five times, but I made it to the Old Abandoned Workshop. Didn't expect to get a Silver Trophy for that!

Place gaven me the heebie-jeebies; it felt like one of the earliest places the game's weirdness starts to leak through the cracks. Don't know if I am looking forward to the moment the dam finally bursts...

BSB died in two attempts, by the way. That was a good boss fight. Not particularly memorable, but fun nonetheless.

Thanks to some glitchs, that place is really creepy

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

That's impressive on BSB. I think it took me like 10-12 times, more than any other boss, including in the DLC. I was aggressive and the poison would kill me and I think I fought him about the earliest point you can. Finally figured out how to parry him.

But I love the boss, one of my favorites, including the DLC.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Thanks to some glitchs, that place is really creepy

Yeah, that voice from the first video threw me off. I couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. I am playing with headphones on and every time I thought I turned in the right direction, it shifted from the left to the right speaker and vice versa.

The doll makes sense because the actuall doll in the Hunter's Dream does the same when you have no insight. But this one probably wasn't meant to do the same.

That's impressive on BSB. I think it took me like 10-12 times, more than any other boss, including in the DLC. I was aggressive and the poison would kill me and I think I fought him about the earliest point you can. Finally figured out how to parry him.

But I love the boss, one of my favorites, including the DLC.
Parrying definitely was hard. I think I managed it only once. At some point I just gave up and decided to do it the old-fashioned Dark Souls way by rolling/sidestepping through his attacks and clinging to its side and back as much as possible. Made the fight much easier to be honest.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

That's Souls games for you, different play style and different way of thinking makes a big difference.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First time Soulsborne player here and WTF.., after probably 15+ attempts, managed to beat Father gasco.

I was surprised since Cleric beast and the 2 wolves before that wasn't particularly hard. Managed Cleric on 3rd, and Father on 15th so I am guessing I am pretty soon going to rage quit come next 2 bosses. I LOVE when you roam around the map fighting mobs opening areas but man F* Boss Battles. Sucked the whole fun out of the game.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
First time Soulsborne player here and WTF.., after probably 15+ attempts, managed to beat Father gasco.

I was surprised since Cleric beast and the 2 wolves before that wasn't particularly hard. Managed Cleric on 3rd, and Father on 15th so I am guessing I am pretty soon going to rage quit come next 2 bosses. I LOVE when you roam around the map fighting mobs opening areas but man F* Boss Battles. Sucked the whole fun out of the game.

Don't rage on that, different bosses require different approach in this game, it's not just about skill.

Father Gasco are infamous for being hard because most people got way too greedy with their attacks, the fight is about evading, not attacking. Since you can't cancel your attack by evading that means you'll get hit a lot by attacking too much. The more ''spammy'' your playstyle is the harder Father Gasco will be for you.

Here's a tip for you, the next time you encounter a difficult boss, try not to attack it, like at all.
Try to dodge its attacks and learn its patterns until you die, you'll be surprised just how much you learned out of it.

Another tip, if you find yourself dying to a boss/enemy again and again, it's not a ''difficulty spike'', you're just doing something wrong, stop and maybe think about it.
For example, there was an enemy type that gave me a lot of trouble and I was really annoyed by its tanky HP, turns out it's very vulnerable to thrusting attacks and incredibly resistant to slashing attacks, took me like 3 or 4 thrusts to kill the thing, with slashing attacks it took me more than 20 slashes.

Last edited:

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017

That's funny, I died to Cleric Beast a tonne of times but I killed Father Gascoigne on my first attempt, Parry is your friend when it comes to Father Gasco. There's one more upcoming boss that you're going to hate(it's optional but you probably won't know that) but other than that I think you'll be fine keep it up.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gun's counters works with every single enemy? Even bosses?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Gun's counters works with every single enemy? Even bosses?

Almost all of them yes. Some bosses are too big to be parried though.

If the boss is at least 1.5 times of your height (like Cleric Beast) then it's pretty much unparryable.
You can however attack their weaknesses and make them crumble, allowing you to do a critical attack.

For example if you attack Cleric Beast's head and deal enough damage it will fall down in pain, making it vulnerable.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Here's a tip for you, the next time you encounter a difficult boss, try not to attack it, like at all.
Try to dodge its attacks and learn its patterns until you die, you'll be surprised just how much you learned out of it.
This is a good tip. Another option Shubh_C63, especially when you are getting frustrated, is to take a break and look on YouTube for "no hit runs", which are basically people playing through the game without getting hit at all, boss encounters included. Watching these, especially the boss fights I was struggling with, helped me a ton with understanding where to position myself and when bosses leave themselves open in Dark Souls 3.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
This is a good tip. Another option Shubh_C63, especially when you are getting frustrated, is to take a break and look on YouTube for "no hit runs", which are basically people playing through the game without getting hit at all, boss encounters included. Watching these, especially the boss fights I was struggling with, helped me a ton with understanding where to position myself and when bosses leave themselves open in Dark Souls 3.

I personally wouldn't recommend watching those videos though, it's much more rewarding to beat the boss on your own, using the knowledge and skill you gained.

But that's just me, some people may find it totally cool.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't rage on that, different bosses require different approach in this game, it's not just about skill.

Father Gasco are infamous for being hard because most people got way too greedy with their attacks, the fight is about evading, not attacking. Since you can't cancel your attack by evading that means you'll get hit a lot by attacking too much. The more ''spammy'' your playstyle is the harder Father Gasco will be for you.

My playstyle actually involves too much dodging and waiting for opening, but I think Father Gasco was made to teach different lesson that some aggression is ok. I actually had an easy time on his first phase when spamming 2Attacks+Dodge(side) while Health regain does it work. 2nd phase long weapon was difficult but the third final beast phase was too hard for me, just couldn't establish my footing when he goes beast. Turns out dodging backwards in his beast form was a big no no.

But yeah thanks, even with only 2 bosses I am kinda understanding what needs to be done here.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I personally wouldn't recommend watching those videos though, it's much more rewarding to beat the boss on your own, using the knowledge and skill you gained.

But that's just me, some people may find it totally cool.
Fair enough. Personally, I tend to stop caring about defeating a boss on my own after the dozenth attempt. For me the reward in tackling difficult bosses was in seeking out information, setting up a battle plan and actually making it work through practice. It is one thing to see someone else do it in a YT video, but another to do it yourself while under pressure, after all.

Your mileage may vary, though.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
My playstyle actually involves too much dodging and waiting for opening, but I think Father Gasco was made to teach different lesson that some aggression is ok. I actually had an easy time on his first phase when spamming 2Attacks+Dodge(side) while Health regain does it work. 2nd phase long weapon was difficult but the third final beast phase was too hard for me, just couldn't establish my footing when he goes beast. Turns out dodging backwards in his beast form was a big no no.

But yeah thanks, even with only 2 bosses I am kinda understanding what needs to be done here.

Ah yes, glad you found out, dodge direction makes a big difference in Bloodborne, and the timing is very important too.
If you timed it well you can literally ''pass'' through an attack without getting hurt.

Honestly you sound like a decent learner, I think you got this.
Do not give up, the game is really worth it.

Fair enough. Personally, I tend to stop caring about defeating a boss on my own after the dozenth attempt. For me the reward in tackling difficult bosses was in seeking out information, setting up a battle plan and actually making it work through practice. It is one thing to see someone else do it in a YT video, but another to do it yourself while under pressure, after all.

Your mileage may vary, though.

I can totally understand and respect that.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Is the annual Return To... event on?

Getting the urges.
According to reddit, yes

Yeah, Micolash so far has been the hardest boss in the game while Ludwig, Father G, Laurence, and all the others considered hard have all been considerably easier. Haven't gotten to the infamous DLC boss yet

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Yeah, Micolash so far has been the hardest boss in the game while Ludwig, Father G, Laurence, and all the others considered hard have all been considerably easier. Haven't gotten to the infamous DLC boss yet

I'm no neuroscientist but I think the bosses in this game challenges different parts of your brain.

Some bosses requires precise hand-eye coordination, some bosses requires fast decision making under pressure, some bosses requires sharp observation skill.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Have to get myself back into this game. Got to the boss on the roof of Cainhurst Castle and died a few times (but felt I was beginning to get the better of him), just before Christmas and for various reasons started playing other games and now am almost hesitant to start back up as it feels like I'm going to have to relearn so much more of the game again.

Also I have a threaded cane at +6, is it worth keeping upgrading it, or should I switch to the holy sword (which will require me to add at least 4 levels to strength to equip, but the stats seem better)?