• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
One thing for sure is that you need patience and observation for this game. If you do not like patient play you will be frustrated.

The game primarily uses fear of unknown to elevate its level of difficulty. Some examples:

· Environment
o Layout
o Hazards/traps

· Enemy
o Placement
o Type/movesets

· Boss
o Movement and abilities

The good thing is all of the above slowly lose their advantage once the player gains intelligence on the above. This is the natural course. I usually sacrifice a few deaths just to gain intel and build my confidence if I have a feeling a new area might kick my butt. I will simply sprint through, check out the enemy placement, note environmental traps etc then die.

When it comes to bosses the natural course is for you to die but realizing what killed you. If you don't stop to think about what killed you and how to fix it, you will be frustrated to hell.
Boss tips
Use a few deaths (don't waste vials) just for intelligence gathering:
Examine the environment to discern any tactical advantage (there's a reason Papa G human form cannot break the gravestones but his beastform can…)
Pre-animation to their moves so you can tell which one is coming
Which dodge direction will work for which moves, sometimes you have to dodge 2x in a row in different directions bef you get an opening to attack
Which moves you can parry/visceral (not all bosses or moves can be parried)

Is there an item that can change the behaviour of the boss (music box, blood cocktails etc)

Some have weak spots that you can repeatedly hit to stagger them, then you can visceral with R1. Listen to the deep bass sound as your clue.
Use sprint to GTFO of moves like Cleric Beast's anime drop from the sky move, sometimes spam roll doesn't always work

I have to say this is exactly my style of play. I like to be challenged both mind and reflex. I took down the Watchdog in Chalice Dungeon solo (took me many tries) and it was freaking bad ass. I love the loop of going into a boss fight and getting wrecked and it seems impossible. But then after gaining more information I can easily dispose of him.
I'm playing the DLC now and got to a boss that obliterated me. Can't wait to take him down. Love it.
Remember - dying, a lot, is OK. Just know why you died and don't go back thinking you need to roll faster or mash R1 quicker.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Almost all of them yes. Some bosses are too big to be parried though.

If the boss is at least 1.5 times of your height (like Cleric Beast) then it's pretty much unparryable.
You can however attack their weaknesses and make them crumble, allowing you to do a critical attack.

For example if you attack Cleric Beast's head and deal enough damage it will fall down in pain, making it vulnerable.

Good to know that!
Thanks!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea how hard Rom is supposed to be because in my very first playthrough (day 1, so everything was mysterious), I fought Rom in the chalice dungeons before the actual story fight. Now THAT fight was something else at like level 30ish...

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best. I just fought Father Gascoigne with the Kirkhammer. His third form wrecked me a couple of times because I couldn't get the parry timing down. Until I thought: what if I stop parrying him and take advantage of that huge sledge on my back? Cue me repeatedly slamming his third form against the ground with nothing but an uncharged R2 attack every time he tried to close in and swipe me, completely shutting him down in the process. Good stuff.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
This thread made me re-download the game and play it again lol I think I will finish my NG+ playthrough. Does anyone knows if the game still has a good online community? I feel like helping some people :)

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Update:

Well I can now say that I have beaten Bloodborne and the Old Hunters officially. It means a lot to me because I'm an average gamer that had anxiety about the difficulty of this as a souls noob. I used the online storage to get all endings. On the endings [BIG SPOILERS AHEAD]...
I'm not exactly sure which is the good ending, lol. I mean giving yourself up to death seems like the chickenshit way out, but in a sense it feels like the happiest ending and what I personally would have wanted if I was trapped inside the nightmare, to see daylight and for it to be over. I love the ending when you beat Gerhman without the umbilical cord and essentially replace him to watch over the Dream. With the umbilical cord too is very interesting....do you become a Great One like several of the bosses or are you replacing the moon presence?

I still need 3 trophies for the platinum - I didn't get all the badges and all the weapons in the main game and still need to get trophy linked to chalice dungeons. Will figure out which ones I am missing and am planning to use a walkthrough on second playthrough just to make sure I find any missed encounters, etc. I may have missed.

On bosses, here are my Top 10 Favorite (caveat, have not gone too far in dungeons) I think overall I tended to prefer the more humanoid type bosses, where you can mix in parrys and where the pace is really fast:

1) Orphan of Kos
2) Blood Starved Beast
3) Ludwig
4) Lady Maria
5) Gehrman
6) Father G (may move up, I love his back story and on second time I'm going to do it w/out music box and more parrying - which is I didn't understand first time)
7) Amygdala
8) The One Reborn
9) Shadow of Yarhnam
10) Martyr Logarius

My Top 10 most difficult bosses (relative to how hard they are at the time you first play them; caveats - again still not gone through many chalice dungeons and feel I was over-leveled for Paarl, Wet Nurse, and maybe One Reborn):

1) Blood Starved Beast - I love this boss even though he took me like 15 tries and was the first and biggest WALL for me in the game. But I learned to parry beating him. He's really well designed IMO, because you can get through Cleric Beast by dodging and hacking and molotovs also Father G if you use music box and molotovs. But this guy punished my aggressive hack and slash by poisoning me, and when I dodged he went so far forward to be out of range. Made me change my tactics and learn and probably my most rewarding victory when over.
2) Rom - My other big WALL. Got him down to 5% on second try and then got him like 10-12 tries later. He takes a lot of patience, which I sometimes lack.
3) Ebrietas - had to do the trunk tactic, which was sort of a waste for a boss with so many awesome frontal attacks. But huge damage plus frenzy, if you play this guys straight up and just try to beat him by getting in shots on his head and dodging everywhere I think he would be hardest in game.
4) Ludwig - the most intimidating boss, and most heart pounding
But dodge forward on his attacks to his weak side really makes it fairly easy to get to second half and then its just a matter of dodging projectiles and getting damage in while keeping health replenished
5) Orphan - Just a huge arsenal of moves he's got.
6) Gehrman - Playing the DLC before him I thought he'd be cake, Mergo's Wet Nurse was.....it takes a while to learn his tactics though and he's super fast.
7) Father G - I imagine without the music box I would have struggled much more mightily. Epic boss (and he's the first mandatory boss?)
8) Lady Maria - Drop down drag out fight.
9) Laurence - I swear he's not that hard compared to other DLC bosses. I almost beat him on 1 run. I was just careless the other 7-8 runs.
10) M. Logarius - Tough fight....may have been on par for me to challenge with some of the DLC bosses relative to where I was at when I played him.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Update:

Well I can now say that I have beaten Bloodborne and the Old Hunters officially. It means a lot to me because I'm an average gamer that had anxiety about the difficulty of this as a souls noob. I used the online storage to get all endings. On the endings [BIG SPOILERS AHEAD]...
I'm not exactly sure which is the good ending, lol. I mean giving yourself up to death seems like the chickenshit way out, but in a sense it feels like the happiest ending and what I personally would have wanted if I was trapped inside the nightmare, to see daylight and for it to be over. I love the ending when you beat Gerhman without the umbilical cord and essentially replace him to watch over the Dream. With the umbilical cord too is very interesting....do you become a Great One like several of the bosses or are you replacing the moon presence?

The trophy from the Great One ending says " You became an infant Great One, lifting humanity into its next childhood. "

It's probably the best one because the wake up ending just have the world staying the same, so another hunt will start again and again.

Staying in the Hunter's dream is clearly a bad ending.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Update:
You are becoming an infant great one, yes. And it is the good ending in a lot of ways. You ascended like nobody did ever before, not the people lining their brain with eyes, nor otherwise. You truly achieved the knowledge and insight (lel) that everyone who was doing misdeeds in this game to get there failed to get, whether it would be by experimenting on the fishing hamlet people, sacrificing an entire school to get into the nightmare like Micolash, or using the blood and turning everyone into beasts like Laurence (and founding the hunters workshop to deal with said beasts, but still continuing on using the blood.)

I think if you just wake up, eventually you will turn into a beast. You didn't slay the Moon Presence, and so the cycle of Gherman leading hunters through the dream and the night of the hunt continue

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
One more thing. I think I'm now ready to say that Bloodborne is my personal GOAT game. And I say this as someone not an existing fan of the genre or horror games in general.

The gameplay, the artstyle, the enemy/boss variety, the lore and story you can explore and think about, the amount of content with the DLC added, the under-rated graphics, the replayability, how much this game effects your emotions just booting it up......its all too much.

And naturally I'm going to say GOTG too, and for me I think its an interesting perspective coming to this only after playing BOTW, GoW, Mario Odyssey, RDR2, DOOM, and lots of other recent GOTY contenders that came out well after it (caveats....no Witcher 3 yet or Nier A and some others).

I heard those of you keep telling me this was the GOTG and I set out to experience it and I wanted to love it as much as so many others did and had a lot of anxiety that the difficulty might be too much for me and didn't want to get stuck and not experience it all. I came in determined to plow through no matter how many times it took. I did and found that the game is difficult, but fair and manageable and I never used co-op or summon assistance (which is another thing to look forward to trying on second run).

Last edited:

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
The trophy from the Great One ending says " You became an infant Great One, lifting humanity into its next childhood. "

It's probably the best one because the wake up ending just have the world staying the same, so another hunt will start again and again.

Staying in the Hunter's dream is clearly a bad ending.
You are becoming an infant great one, yes. And it is the good ending in a lot of ways. You ascended like nobody did ever before, not the people lining their brain with eyes, nor otherwise. You truly achieved the knowledge and insight (lel) that everyone who was doing misdeeds in this game to get there failed to get, whether it would be by experimenting on the fishing hamlet people, sacrificing an entire school to get into the nightmare like Micolash, or using the blood and turning everyone into beasts like Laurence (and founding the hunters workshop to deal with said beasts, but still continuing on using the blood.)

I think if you just wake up, eventually you will turn into a beast. You didn't slay the Moon Presence, and so the cycle of Gherman leading hunters through the dream and the night of the hunt continue

Thanks guys. To you and others that have helped me on this thread. I feel like I am just now going to start to get a better idea of what all was going on in the game now and I'm excited to try to better understand the lore. I'm going to watch some Vaati videos and just try to dig in and understand this as I go through NG+1. I appreciate how mysterious this all is and how it made me feel as a player uncovering mysteries, but now I'm excited about digging into the lore with endgame spoilers out of the way now.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks guys. To you and others that have helped me on this thread. I feel like I am just now going to start to get a better idea of what all was going on in the game now and I'm excited to try to better understand the lore. I'm going to watch some Vaati videos and just try to dig in and understand this as I go through NG+1. I appreciate how mysterious this all is and how it made me feel as a player uncovering mysteries, but now I'm excited about digging into the lore with endgame spoilers out of the way now.
Do that, it's some of the best lore in gaming imo. Have fun!

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Just have in mind that Vaati and all lore videos are just personal opinions about the lore, not necessary the truth Miyazaki had in his head.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Heh, BSB gave me a bit more trouble on my strength build (Kirkhammer/Hunter's Axe). Four tries... or was it five?

I think the crux to this fight' lies in his third phase and how it differs from the first two. It looks like it is the same, just more dangerous, but it isn't.

The first two can be approached as regular "dodge and counter" phases, with the second one obviously more dangerous than the first due to the poison. It takes a while, but slow and steady works well enough. But in the third phase you get poisoned just by being near him and suddenly the fight becomes a DPS race. Maybe it is telling that I beat him the moment my antidotes were depleted and I had to act. He also didn't punish as relentlessly as in the first two phases, in which I constantly had to create distance after poking him just to prevent myself from getting swiped/pounced. The damage that he did in the third phase was ultimately easily outhealed by my own offense.

All in all, still a fun boss fight.

Next time I fight him I will try to go full offense from the start and see how far that gets me.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Hey guys, just met a real cute Brainsucker in a shady backalley near the Cathedral Ward. We hit it off immediately, but they wanted to use tongue, like, right away and I don't know if I am comfortable with that. What would be the best way to make this clear to them? I tried bashing their brains in with a kirkhammer, but they were real persistent.

Sorry if this is a weird question, I'm just hoping to gain some insight here.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This thread made me re-download the game and play it again lol I think I will finish my NG+ playthrough. Does anyone knows if the game still has a good online community? I feel like helping some people :)
Not great actually. But there is a subreddit for ppl looking for help. That's really the only way I was able to find others to play with

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, BSB gave me a bit more trouble on my strength build (Kirkhammer/Hunter's Axe). Four tries... or was it five?

I think the crux to this fight' lies in his third phase and how it differs from the first two. It looks like it is the same, just more dangerous, but it isn't.

The first two can be approached as regular "dodge and counter" phases, with the second one obviously more dangerous than the first due to the poison. It takes a while, but slow and steady works well enough. But in the third phase you get poisoned just by being near him and suddenly the fight becomes a DPS race. Maybe it is telling that I beat him the moment my antidotes were depleted and I had to act. He also didn't punish as relentlessly as in the first two phases, in which I constantly had to create distance after poking him just to prevent myself from getting swiped/pounced. The damage that he did in the third phase was ultimately easily outhealed by my own offense.

All in all, still a fun boss fight.

Next time I fight him I will try to go full offense from the start and see how far that gets me.

The third phase is the toughest, and he puts off a lot of poison and is far more aggressive. There are a lot of strategies out there about how best to beat him, but I've found the best strategy is parrying with the blunderbuss with the visceral follow up. Lock on him and get as close as possible and when he raises his hand, parry. As he gets more aggressive dodge and keep your distance and wait for him to calm down and then lock on and go for the parry again.

When I finally figured this out i took him down to 2/3rds health in 30 seconds. And i finished him off later with 3 consecutive parrys. I actually passed a chance to kill him off at 5% health with a few back slashes, just so I could finish him off with a parry.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
How do I beat
Amygdala? I hardly do any damage and eventually I just get killed after getting caught in a few of her attacks. I'm in NG+ btw if that makes any difference.
Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
One thing for sure is that you need patience and observation for this game. If you do not like patient play you will be frustrated.

The game primarily uses fear of unknown to elevate its level of difficulty. Some examples:

· Environment
o Layout
o Hazards/traps

· Enemy
o Placement
o Type/movesets

· Boss
o Movement and abilities

The good thing is all of the above slowly lose their advantage once the player gains intelligence on the above. This is the natural course. I usually sacrifice a few deaths just to gain intel and build my confidence if I have a feeling a new area might kick my butt. I will simply sprint through, check out the enemy placement, note environmental traps etc then die.

When it comes to bosses the natural course is for you to die but realizing what killed you. If you don't stop to think about what killed you and how to fix it, you will be frustrated to hell.
Boss tips
Use a few deaths (don't waste vials) just for intelligence gathering:
Examine the environment to discern any tactical advantage (there's a reason Papa G human form cannot break the gravestones but his beastform can…)
Pre-animation to their moves so you can tell which one is coming
Which dodge direction will work for which moves, sometimes you have to dodge 2x in a row in different directions bef you get an opening to attack
Which moves you can parry/visceral (not all bosses or moves can be parried)

Is there an item that can change the behaviour of the boss (music box, blood cocktails etc)

Some have weak spots that you can repeatedly hit to stagger them, then you can visceral with R1. Listen to the deep bass sound as your clue.
Use sprint to GTFO of moves like Cleric Beast's anime drop from the sky move, sometimes spam roll doesn't always work

I have to say this is exactly my style of play. I like to be challenged both mind and reflex. I took down the Watchdog in Chalice Dungeon solo (took me many tries) and it was freaking bad ass. I love the loop of going into a boss fight and getting wrecked and it seems impossible. But then after gaining more information I can easily dispose of him.
I'm playing the DLC now and got to a boss that obliterated me. Can't wait to take him down. Love it.
Remember - dying, a lot, is OK. Just know why you died and don't go back thinking you need to roll faster or mash R1 quicker.
Yep, well said.

The knowledge you gain through defeat makes a world of difference. You can go from getting demolished by regular enemies to defeating huge bosses with only half your health at the start and not getting hit once.

You just have to push through and continue applying everything you learn.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
How do I beat
Amygdala? I hardly do any damage and eventually I just get killed after getting caught in a few of her attacks. I'm in NG+ btw if that makes any difference.
Thanks!

As you attack, the legs become weaker. Throughout the fight, it'll heal and your attacks won't do much damage again.
So try to keep hitting the same part over and over again if you can.

Of course, head hits are good if you can get them in.

It's been awhile since I've played, I'm sure there are some ideal strategies. Just wanted to say that the little damage you do initially will eventually be big damage after you tenderize that mother crawler.

I can't even find the first boss, I keep going around in circles.

You'll learn the map the more you play. Yeah it's a little confusing for starters, it's not a linear map. There are multiple shortcuts that loop back on other parts of the level once you open them.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
How do I beat
Thanks!

I don't know if my strategy is correct, but you can damage her legs and tail some by getting up under her, but her head - the tonsil - is the weak spot so you are looking for moments when she puts that closer to the ground to get in and strike it. I damaged her limbs and tail some, but it seemed capped like it didn't do much damage after a few times. I beat her on the first try and used a lot of blood vials and it was primarily just dodging and getting some damage in on her head when the moments presented themselves. It was a long fight for me so not sure if there is a way to make it shorter.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How do I beat
Thanks!
Bait out attacks where it slams the ground and go for head hits. Alternatively if you're good at timing your dodge roll's i-frames you can get the boss stuck in a loop of jumping leading to an easy kill.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
One more thing. I think I'm now ready to say that Bloodborne is my personal GOAT game. And I say this as someone not an existing fan of the genre or horror games in general.

The gameplay, the artstyle, the enemy/boss variety, the lore and story you can explore and think about, the amount of content with the DLC added, the under-rated graphics, the replayability, how much this game effects your emotions just booting it up......its all too much.

And naturally I'm going to say GOTG too, and for me I think its an interesting perspective coming to this only after playing BOTW, GoW, Mario Odyssey, RDR2, DOOM, and lots of other recent GOTY contenders that came out well after it (caveats....no Witcher 3 yet or Nier A and some others).

I heard those of you keep telling me this was the GOTG and I set out to experience it and I wanted to love it as much as so many others did and had a lot of anxiety that the difficulty might be too much for me and didn't want to get stuck and not experience it all. I came in determined to plow through no matter how many times it took. I did and found that the game is difficult, but fair and manageable and I never used co-op or summon assistance (which is another thing to look forward to trying on second run).

Good Hunter. Now, time for you to play Dark Souls.

Fear not the Dark, my friend. And, let the feast begin.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017

Ahh it seems we've found ourselves a Hunter. Congrats, game is no doubt one of the best ever made and my personal GOAT as well. Have fun reading up on the crazy lore and enjoy NG+ with your newfound insight.

Think I will start a new playthrough before Sekiro drops.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I shall partake when I am done with Bloodborne.

This game is growing on me, but so far Dark Souls 3 is still my favorite Soulsborne by quite a distance. I'm just not a fan of gothic horror... or cosmic horror for that matter. Gives me conniptions.

Me too. I've played them all at this point and DS3 is still my favorite.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017

It depends on where you are. On NG I can usually summon or be summoned in most places without waiting too long. In some areas it is hard to find people. but I play around 10pm-midnight EST so I'm probably not on at peak times.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Good Hunter. Now, time for you to play Dark Souls.

Fear not the Dark, my friend. And, let the feast begin.

Yes, I bought the Dark Souls triology last year and I will certainly be giving it a go. Although hard for me to pass up Sekiro first if it reviews well.

My main concern about DS is that I can be inpatient, and in many respects that served me well in Bloodborne, particularly with the re-gain mechanic. So hopefully I will be able to adapt.

Should DS be played in order btw or could I start with 3?

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Vicar Amelia is down, two tries. That wasn't so bad. First time she surprised me with a three-hit combo, the second of which ate up half my life bar. She was apparently able to heal, too, but I am not sure if I saw her do it. Was that the silver light I saw appear around her? She only did it once and it didn't seem to have much effect.

Cool design, but honestly not a very special boss fight otherwise.

My main concern about DS is that I can be inpatient, and in many respects that served me well in Bloodborne, particularly with the re-gain mechanic. So hopefully I will be able to adapt.

Unless you don't care about lore at all, I would highly recommend playing at least DS1 first. DS3 is the end of the trilogy after all and the game relies heavily on DS1 in particular. From what I understand, DS2 isn't referenced nearly as often, so you could skip that one. (That is what I did; I jumped right into DS3 after I finished DS1R last year.)

DS1 might feel like a bit of a slog in the beginning because it plays a lot slower than BB. That said, I feel its supposed emphasis on a slow, defensive play style is exaggerated. Yes, you could cover yourself in the heaviest of armor, a big shield and just tank your way through the game. But a light, aggressive approach is just as viable. You do miss the re-gain mechanic, but on the other hand: backstabs are immediate and powerful, and don't require an opening created by a charged attack. If you know what you are doing in terms of positioning/timing, enemies go down faster in DS1 than they do in BB, I feel.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I bought the Dark Souls triology last year and I will certainly be giving it a go. Although hard for me to pass up Sekiro first if it reviews well.

Play DS1 first, then you can either skip DS2 or go straight to DS3.

DS2 has a bunch of issues purely on the gameplay level, it also looks like ass most of the time. It's still good, but a step down. As far as story/lore, DS2 doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It adds more flavor and context for everything, but ultimately DS3 makes it entirely pointless.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Going through Hemwick Charnel Lane now. Man, I hate that it is night-time now. Game was dark enough as it was, haha.

I have noticed that it helps me immensely to talk to the game. Like, spout cheesy one-liners against (new) enemies while I try to bash their faces in. Helps takes the edge of my fear of the unknown.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Insight lost to Brainsuckers: 6

The good news is that I haven't used a single Madman's Knowledge yet, so I have plenty to spare. I also defeated the Witches of Hemwick (two tries), discovered a back entrance into Iosefka's Clinic (hence the Brainsucker) and I am well on my way into the Forbidden Woods. It was nice hearing Patches's voice again. I wonder how he will try to fuck me over this time.

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
So I completed DS3 and DS2 but Bloodborne rubbed the wrong way.

Sometimes in the souls game I would need to try a boss 20 times but due to the blood vial mechanic in Bloodborne I couldn't not just keep trying as it means I need to grind for blood vials for 20 minutes just making the process extremely annoying.

I gave up at blood starved beast and said I'd come back to it, but just thinking about having to grind out blood vials to make any progress just bums me out.

Was I doing something wrong ?

Mar 11, 2019

Sometimes in the souls game I would need to try a boss 20 times but due to the blood vial mechanic in Bloodborne I couldn't not just keep trying as it means I need to grind for blood vials for 20 minutes just making the process extremely annoying.

I gave up at blood starved beast and said I'd come back to it, but just thinking about having to grind out blood vials to make any progress just bums me out.

Not sure if you do anything wrong, in my playthrough I hardly farmed (if I did it was in the first part of the game, I would go in the first level, If I recall, the first lamp you activated and go take the shortest route with the elevator to father Gascoign, you encounter multiple huge fat enemies that drop vials) but I would say when you pass BSB and have placed your stats right (have enough health because a vial will heal a certain amount of %) after that it became easier to level and acquire blood echoes.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

I think it is definitely one of the failings of this system. On one hand it is nice to have a huge supply of healing on hand and plenty more to find through general gameplay. But against difficult bosses you can burn through your stockpile deceptively fast. BSB in particular has the problem that the Scourge Beasts you encounter on your way there (at least two, but possibly five if you take a short detour) seem to exclusively drop Blood Stone Shards as opposed to the 2 blood vials they would normally drop.

The good news is that as far as I am able to judge, BSB is the only boss that suffers from this. The next two bosses, at least, have a couple of enemies between the lamp and the boss arena that drop plenty of blood vials.

Have you tried summoning for BSB? I am not sure how it works in terms of Insight needed (I haven't done any multiplayer aside from leaving notes) but I think you can summon Alfred for BSB, which could be huge help.

Not sure if you do anything wrong, in my playthrough I hardly farmed (if I did I would go in the first level, If I recall, the first lamp you activated and go take the shortest route with the elevator to father Gascoign, you encounter multiple huge fat enemies that drop vials) but I would say when you pass BSB and have placed your stats right (have enough health because a vial will heal a certain amount of %) after that it became easier to level and acquire blood echoes.
I would start at Oedon Tomb (where you fight Gascoigne) and run towards Central Yharnam, because that way you don't have to deal with the flaming boulder on the bridge.

But yeah, that is a good farming route. About five minutes of work (maybe even less) for 8 - 10 blood vials on average.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

I think a couple of the first few bosses can tend to be the biggest walls for players (particularly Father G and BSB). Game to me actually became a lot easier after Blood Starved Beast. I looked for strategies on him and finally found that the parrying one works best (get the blunderbuss, and get right in his face and parry with the gun when he raises his hand and then visceral. Avoid and dodge to the left of his attacks when he's really going wild and stay away when hes spitting poisoned or you have been poisoned so you don't have to use too many antidotes. Wait for him to calm down to do more parry/viscerals). I didn't need to use many blood vials doing it that way after failing for like 15 times with other strategies.

In terms of grinding for blood vials, they come pretty frequent during regular play and as you go on you will open up some locations where if you do need to 'grind' you can get 30-40 vials in < 5 minutes.

Early game IMO is tougher than the rest of the game, as you figure out what you are doing. As you level up more and upgrade your weapon it gets easier. If you explore a lot and are careful about leveling up, you'll find yourself beating bosses in just a few tries or on first try. If you don't explore and level up it is more of a challenge.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Hey guys, just met a real cute Brainsucker in a shady backalley near the Cathedral Ward. We hit it off immediately, but they wanted to use tongue, like, right away and I don't know if I am comfortable with that. What would be the best way to make this clear to them? I tried bashing their brains in with a kirkhammer, but they were real persistent.

Sorry if this is a weird question, I'm just hoping to gain some insight here.
For someone who wants to use a tongue so much, you could always respond with thrusting.

....I meant to use the hammer's sword mode and do a thrust attack since they are weak to thrust damage. What are y'all looking at me for??

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I can't beat the last boss. Very annoying.

Gehrman? He's not too bad, you just have to be really careful and heal often. Early on when he has the burial blade look to parry if he tries to raise it behind his head. Otherwise you just gotta be dodging and get hits in when you can. When he goes up in the air dodge roll constantly and towards him if you can because he's vulnerable when he comes down, also vulnerable when he's charging up, but get out of there before the explosion. I used a lot of vials and it took time....if you are going for the best ending with 3/3 items consumed, make sure you save some for the Moon Presence. I was down to practically no health and like 2 vials but managed to beat her with basic dodges and attack....don't know if I had lost if I would have had to fight Gerhman again before getting to her.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Love this game. Hardest 2 bosses in this game

Rom and Ludwig

Rom ain't hard bro. I'd say Kos, Amy, Gehrman and a few others were wayyyy more annoying and tough to beat.

I can't beat the last boss. Very annoying.

He's not hard at all. All you need to do is stay somewhat close to him, dodge his attacks and be aggressive after he stops attacking. When he gains a buff halfway through the fight, stay near him so he doesn't use an AOE attack that can one shot you if you don't have high enough vitality to eat it. I beat him twice for 2 endings. I pretty much took him down with my Ludwig Holy Blade and Bolt paper.

AndrewGPK if you die to MP, you don't have to fight Gehrman again. I died once, but she's SUPER easy. When she use the reduce HP to 1, get in as many hits as possibly to rally your health back up since she literally just sits there. Took me only 1-2 tries to kill her.

UPDATE: I'm in the Great Pthumerian Chalice now, with only 1 trophy left. Should be done by this afternoon. So excited and I bought the DLC for the Whirligig Saw and Holy Moonlight Sword.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Insight lost to Brainsuckers: 6

The good news is that I haven't used a single Madman's Knowledge yet, so I have plenty to spare. I also defeated the Witches of Hemwick (two tries), discovered a back entrance into Iosefka's Clinic (hence the Brainsucker) and I am well on my way into the Forbidden Woods. It was nice hearing Patches's voice again. I wonder how he will try to fuck me over this time.

It's best to save them for the Blood Rock, that enables you to upgrade a weapon to +10. It costs 60 Insight, and you can buy only one of them during a playthrough from the Insight shop in the Hunter's Dream. It becomes available there after you've beaten the second to last boss in the main game. Its name and location:
Mergo's Wet Nurse in Nightmare of Mensis.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Rom ain't hard bro. I'd say Kos, Amy, Gehrman and a few others were wayyyy more annoying and tough to beat.

He's not hard at all. All you need to do is stay somewhat close to him, dodge his attacks and be aggressive after he stops attacking. When he gains a buff halfway through the fight, stay near him so he doesn't use an AOE attack that can one shot you if you don't have high enough vitality to eat it. I beat him twice for 2 endings. I pretty much took him down with my Ludwig Holy Blade and Bolt paper.

AndrewGPK if you die to MP, you don't have to fight Gehrman again. I died once, but she's SUPER easy. When she use the reduce HP to 1, get in as many hits as possibly to rally your health back up since she literally just sits there. Took me only 1-2 tries to kill her.

UPDATE: I'm in the Great Pthumerian Chalice now, with only 1 trophy left. Should be done by this afternoon. So excited and I bought the DLC for the Whirligig Saw and Holy Moonlight Sword.

Not knowing if I would have to go through Gehrman again and having only half health and two vials certainly added to the excitement and tension when I beat the MP. And yes, I used rally and was really aggressive knowing that I had so little health to work with.

I have 2 trophies left and I believe they are both to be found in the Chalice dungeons. I know where the missing weapon is. Don't know how yet to get to missing boss. Did you beat the DLC and get all tropies there as well. I did that already too because I didn't want to have it hanging over me in NG+ given they scale.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
For someone who wants to use a tongue so much, you could always respond with thrusting.

....I meant to use the hammer's sword mode and do a thrust attack since they are weak to thrust damage. What are y'all looking at me for??
Thanks, this worked a lot better. Three good, hard thrusts were all it took to get them off me.

I'll stop now...

It's best to save them for the Blood Rock, that enables you to upgrade a weapon to +10. It costs 60 Insight, and you can buy only one of them during a playthrough from the Insight shop in the Hunter's Dream. It becomes available there after you've beaten the second to last boss in the main game. Its name and location:
Mergo's Wet Nurse in Nightmare of Mensis.
That is good to know, thanks.

How many of those Blood Rocks can be attained anyway? I take it there will be enough chunks to fortify at least three weapons, plus more as drops (probably rare) from enemies. But if you can only get one or two of those Rocks, then choices will have to be made further down the line.