• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
How many of those Blood Rocks can be attained anyway? I take it there will be enough chunks to fortify at least three weapons, plus more as drops (probably rare) from enemies. But if you can only get one or two of those Rocks, then choices will have to be made further down the line.
There's one in the main game, one in the DLC, and you can get them at various points in the chalice dungeons.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do I beat
Amygdala? I hardly do any damage and eventually I just get killed after getting caught in a few of her attacks. I'm in NG+ btw if that makes any difference.
Thanks!
When she jumps stay still and charge an attack to be timed for when she lands, she wont hit you if you dont move.

That strat worked for me, Defiled Version tho, lols good luck with that, I beat it no hurt because you have to basically learn to avoid everything it throws at you.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Fire and Bolt scale off Arcane, don't they?

I am wondering where to take my build from here. I currently run a Strength build with a few extra point put into Skill (13 at the moment). Bloodtinge and Arcane still sit at base 6 and 7, respectively. I could go for a quality build, with a bigger focus on Strength. So 50/25 basically. But I could also choose to swap Skill with Arcane to make a Fire/Bolt backup weapon worthwhile. Don't know how practical this would be, though.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
That is good to know, thanks.

How many of those Blood Rocks can be attained anyway? I take it there will be enough chunks to fortify at least three weapons, plus more as drops (probably rare) from enemies. But if you can only get one or two of those Rocks, then choices will have to be made further down the line.

There's one in the main game, one in the DLC, and you can get them at various points in the chalice dungeons.

I've found only one Blood Rock from the Chalice dungeons, so after NG+ and one DLC playthrough, I have six weapons at +10, and two weapons at +9. My only regret is, that I didn't upgrade the DLC weapons
Beast Cutter, Beasthunter Saif, and Simon's Bowblade
past +6/7.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
What? Brainsuckers actually are weak to thrust...

Miscreant.

try ranged attack.
Appraisals: 50

Good: 1 Poor: 49

1458752375701.gif

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Not knowing if I would have to go through Gehrman again and having only half health and two vials certainly added to the excitement and tension when I beat the MP. And yes, I used rally and was really aggressive knowing that I had so little health to work with.

I have 2 trophies left and I believe they are both to be found in the Chalice dungeons. I know where the missing weapon is. Don't know how yet to get to missing boss. Did you beat the DLC and get all tropies there as well. I did that already too because I didn't want to have it hanging over me in NG+ given they scale.

I didn't play the DLC yet. But I just got the Platinum beating the Yharnam Queen. She's in the Great Pthumerian Chalice, but you need to progress through Defiled and Central/Lower Pthumeru Chalices first. Do you have any Red Jelly? You're going to need that.

When she jumps stay still and charge an attack to be timed for when she lands, she wont hit you if you dont move.

That strat worked for me, Defiled Version tho, lols good luck with that, I beat it no hurt because you have to basically learn to avoid everything it throws at you.

It works on Defiled Amy. Literally stand behind her tail and start charging R2 when she jumps and aim it behind you so it hits her head.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play the DLC yet. But I just got the Platinum beating the Yharnam Queen. She's in the Great Pthumerian Chalice, but you need to progress through Defiled and Central/Lower Pthumeru Chalices first. Do you have any Red Jelly? You're going to need that.

It works on Defiled Amy. Literally stand behind her tail and start charging R2 when she jumps and aim it behind you so it hits her head.

You are going to love the DLC. The bosses are phenomenal.

I have some red jelly but maybe not enough. Going to do Lower Pthumeru Chalice tonight. Will probably go back and forth on the NG+ run and chalices. And I have to do the Loran still to get the BC.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I got the Blood Rock in the main game and used it on the Saw Cleaver. After all this time its still my go to weapon, the one I feel most comfortable with.

I've been using the Rakuyo and Whirligig Saw mostly for NG+ and in the chalice trying to get comfortable with them. I think I have them both up to +9, and I have a bloodrock from the DLC but not sure which weapon to upgrade.

My arcane is low so I can't use a lot of weapons or the tools. That is the stat I'm trying to level up because I'm anxious to try everything out.

I didn't realize the blood rocks can be purchased with insight after MWN.......that still available in NG+? That could be helpful.....

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Very nice, I didnt attempted that on Defiled.

I had to cheese that boss fight since the other strat I used kept getting me killed at the last second.

You are going to love the DLC. The bosses are phenomenal.

I have some red jelly but maybe not enough. Going to do Lower Pthumeru Chalice tonight. Will probably go back and forth on the NG+ run and chalices. And I have to do the Loran still to get the BC.

You get more red jelly in the Great Isz Chalice (Layer 2 or 3 I think)

I will play the DLC but I need a break from that game lol. I still need to get God of War

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Darkbeast Paarl is dead. Two tries — I am starting to see a pattern here.

First try I fought him with Ludwig's Blade (+6, fire gemmed) and he wiped the floor with me. The first boss in the game to make me feel completely powerless. Second try I switched to my trusty transformed Kirkhammer (+6), rubbed Fire Paper on it and this time I wiped the floor with him. There is something so satisfying about smashing enemies into the pavement with a huge slab of stone.

Speaking of the Kirkhammer: I don't think I will ever get tired of its 'neutral' untransform animation, where you place the hammer on your back and pull the sword from it sideways. It doesn't just look badass, it sounds badass!

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Damn, that is less than I expected. DS3 spoiled me with its 15 Titanite Slabs.

You've got a few other chances without going in to NG+ to get some Blood Rocks, but you'll need to do some deep dives in the Chalice Dungeons. Personally, I love CDs. Some of the creepiest, tensest fights I've had in BB have been there.

This page about BRs on the Bloodborne wiki has glyph codes to load up dungeons that specifically have Blood Rocks in them. You can't farm them as they'll turn into something else if you've already nabbed the BR, but I've found them very helpful.

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Blood+Rock

Edit: I guess you could technically farm Blood Rocks since after a certain point you can buy them for hellllllla Insight, and since those Chalice Dungeon BR locations give you Great One's Wisdom once you've collected a BR there before, I suppose you could keep running it to farm enough Insight to outright buy more Blood Rocks, but I haven't played BB since early last year so I don't remember clearly.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
You've got a few other chances without going in to NG+ to get some Blood Rocks, but you'll need to do some deep dives in the Chalice Dungeons. Personally, I love CDs. Some of the creepiest, tensest fights I've had in BB have been there.

This page about BRs on the Bloodborne wiki has glyph codes to load up dungeons that specifically have Blood Rocks in them. You can't farm them as they'll turn into something else if you've already nabbed the BR, but I've found them very helpful.

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Blood+Rock

Edit: I guess you could technically farm Blood Rocks since after a certain point you can buy them for hellllllla Insight, and since those Chalice Dungeon BR locations give you Great One's Wisdom once you've collected a BR there before, I suppose you could keep running it to farm enough Insight to outright buy more Blood Rocks, but I haven't played BB since early last year so I don't remember clearly.
I haven't done any chalice dungeon yet; the chalice I got from BSB has been sitting in my inventory doing nothing, haha. I should look into them sometime. I haven't heard a lot of good things about Chalice Dungeons, though admittedly most of the criticisms have been aimed at the dungeon part. The boss fights are supposedly very enjoyable. So those and some good loot might make them worth it.

You can buy them with 60 insight each
Can you expect to buy more than 1 of them through normal gameplay, though? Considering I only have 17 insight + ~20 unconsumed Madman's Knowledges at the moment, I don't see myself get close to 120 insight without farming for it.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you expect to buy more than 1 of them through normal gameplay, though? Considering I only have 17 insight + ~20 unconsumed Madman's Knowledges at the moment, I don't see myself get close to 120 insight without farming for it.
You can easily buy 2 without trying as long as you search around and go to the hidden areas of the game. You'll get one from main game, and one dlc. I think that should be enough for the first play through, you won't main more than 4 weapons. Ignoring farming from chalice dungeons

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
I haven't done any chalice dungeon yet; the chalice I got from BSB has been sitting in my inventory doing nothing, haha. I should look into them sometime. I haven't heard a lot of good things about Chalice Dungeons, though admittedly most of the criticisms have been aimed at the dungeon part. The boss fights are supposedly very enjoyable. So those and some good loot might make them worth it.

Different strokes I guess. I enjoyed the randomized dungeons, ability to get some variants of weapons, and the ability to quickly grind out a ton of echoes in short order if you come across the right type of dungeons; makes for a nice break from the main game if I hit a serious wall that I need to level myself over. The lore of the dungeons as well is really interesting. Also, no joke, some of those dungeons are not only hard but scary as well (to me at least).

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
the randomized dungeons are fun until you start noticing how stacked together the room pieces are, which is such a stark difference from the main game where the level design is natural and intricately designed, and for me that was a big part of why the game was appealing in the first place.

Mar 11, 2019
There were too many lower level dungeons, but I very much enjoyed the level 4 and level 5 dungeons for their rewards, the many bosses and its high difficulty making it all the more rewarding when finally reaching and defeating the pthumerian queen.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I have had it with these motherfuckin' snakes in these motherfuckin' woods.

My recently acquired Tonitrus has been a huge help, though a little more reach would have made it even better.

You can easily buy 2 without trying as long as you search around and go to the hidden areas of the game. You'll get one from main game, and one dlc. I think that should be enough for the first play through, you won't main more than 4 weapons. Ignoring farming from chalice dungeons
Alright, sounds good. I don't see myself using the insight for anything else anyway, except maybe the odd piece of equipment. And I am definitely making an effort to explore all nooks and crannies in this game.

Truthfully, for the moment I am still focusing mainly on the Kirkhammer. Ludwig's Blade is OK, but I won't be upgrading it further for the moment. That leaves me with Tonitrus and Logarius' Wheel, the only other weapons that I am interested in at the moment. So I might not even need four Blood Rocks.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
So as per this thread I restarted blood borne and for the life of me I can't defeat martyr logarious. It wasn't that difficult last time... like what..

I have had it with these motherfuckin' snakes in these motherfuckin' woods

Anything fire and they disappear like paper, fire one hits them.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
That's basically what I am rocking the Ludwig holy blade and the tonitrus, my only problem is the tonitrus durability it's really bad.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
the randomized dungeons are fun until you start noticing how stacked together the room pieces are, which is such a stark difference from the main game where the level design is natural and intricately designed, and for me that was a big part of why the game was appealing in the first place.

This reminded me that I never played the Chalice dungeons. Never understood how the hell they worked and what I was supposed to do to create them.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The frenzy brain guys are also just such a questionable design decision.

In a game that is just so well designed the few crappy parts really stand out.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
That about wraps it up for Forbidden Woods. Only the boss fight left, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Anything fire and they disappear like paper, fire one hits them.
I used Ludwig's Holy Blade +6 on them, fire gemmed, but it did less damage than Tonitrus +5. The latter does scale better with my current stats, though, so that could explain it.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like that parrying attempts are way less penalized in this game upon failure than in dark souls. I use it so much more than in those games and it's great.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Got invaded for the first time on my new playthrough while I was helping out another player. He had Ludwig's Scrubby Blade and the guy I was helping was using the Kirkhammer and was brand new at the game I think because he had no idea where anything was in the Cathedral Ward. The invader jumped us while we were fighting the two hunters by the well. I did the best I could but between the invader and the hunters the noob just couldn't stay alive.

Game is not forgiving to the new.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That about wraps it up for Forbidden Woods. Only the boss fight left, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

I used Ludwig's Holy Blade +6 on them, fire gemmed, but it did less damage than Tonitrus +5. The latter does scale better with my current stats, though, so that could explain it.

Are you doing an Arcane build? If not, adding Fire/Arcane/Lightning gems to your weapon will weaken them.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Love this game. Hardest 2 bosses in this game

Rom and Ludwig
Tale Two(million) gamers. I beat Rom on the very first attempt with the Blades of Mercy, stomped her actually so much that I thought she was just a plot boss. It was only after playing a new character and build when I saw her fuckery and realized that I HAD to have just gotten to a nice spot next to her and the little spiders couldn't get me in time. Killed her before the 2nd port.

Who was "easy" for you Rondre Tibet? Because I almost guarantee it'll be something I fucking hated, it's almost too perfect.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Love this game. Hardest 2 bosses in this game

Rom and Ludwig

The hardest for me have been...

Main game - Rom
DLC -
Orphan of Kos and Laurence
(I gave up on trying to beat the latter on NG+)
Chalice dungeons - Pthumerian Descendant (Ihyll), Abhorrent Beast, and Rom again

Rom has been a stumbling block for me on all four playthroughs, NG+2 in particular.

As for the hardest enemy hunters, those would be the ones in
Byrgenwerth and Research Hall.
I love using the Cane, but I hate being in the receiving end. The one in the DLC took me more tries to beat on NG+, than most of the bosses.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Are you doing an Arcane build? If not, adding Fire/Arcane/Lightning gems to your weapon will weaken them.
I am still building Arcane, currently at 16 or something. So I am not surprised Ludwig's Holy Blade relatively low damage. But just going by the damage numbers in the menu screen, LHB and Tonitrus should have done similar damage. But instead Tonitrus outperformed LHB by quite a bit on those snakes.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Darkbeast Paarl is dead. Two tries — I am starting to see a pattern here.

First try I fought him with Ludwig's Blade (+6, fire gemmed) and he wiped the floor with me. The first boss in the game to make me feel completely powerless. Second try I switched to my trusty transformed Kirkhammer (+6), rubbed Fire Paper on it and this time I wiped the floor with him. There is something so satisfying about smashing enemies into the pavement with a huge slab of stone.

Speaking of the Kirkhammer: I don't think I will ever get tired of its 'neutral' untransform animation, where you place the hammer on your back and pull the sword from it sideways. It doesn't just look badass, it sounds badass!

Kirkhammer is way too slow for me especially when you get into the end game. Burial Blade/Ludwig Holy Blade/Hunter Axe are my favorites

For Paarl, just stay need his legs and keep attacking them. Should go down pretty fast

If you want to learn how to navigate the Chalice Dungeons to beat Yharnam Queen I posted a guide from my reply to someone else in this post.

The root chalices? I only played standard, but I can definitely say some of the Chalices have fantastic designs (Ailing Loran and Great Isz are my personal favorites)

There were too many lower level dungeons, but I very much enjoyed the level 4 and level 5 dungeons for their rewards, the many bosses and its high difficulty making it all the more rewarding when finally reaching and defeating the pthumerian queen.

Really? I blew past most of the lower Layer chalices pretty fast. Only took me less than a day to navigate through Pthumeru - Lower Pthumeru Chalice. The rest took some time to level up my character and take my time with rooms cramped with enemies

This reminded me that I never played the Chalice dungeons. Never understood how the hell they worked and what I was supposed to do to create them.

The Chalice Dungeons are somewhat easy to follow. It goes like this:

Pthumeru Chalice (Depth 1)
Central Pthumeru
Lower Pthumeru

Ailing Loran (up to Layer 2 for materials AND Beast Claw)

Great Isz Chalice (up to Layer 3 for Great Pthumeru ritual materials)

Defiled Chalice (such a bitch to get through but it's doable)

Great Pthumeru (Yharnam Queen on Layer 3)

It only took me roughly a week to complete all this and get the Platinum (played the game in spurts)

Follow this guide if you want to get through the Chalice Dungeons

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/2603-bloodborne-trophy-guide

Go down to the Yharnam Queen trophy and they explain in great detail how to navigate the Chalice Dungeons.

Got invaded for the first time on my new playthrough while I was helping out another player. He had Ludwig's Scrubby Blade and the guy I was helping was using the Kirkhammer and was brand new at the game I think because he had no idea where anything was in the Cathedral Ward. The invader jumped us while we were fighting the two hunters by the well. I did the best I could but between the invader and the hunters the noob just couldn't stay alive.

Game is not forgiving to the new.

The game isn't so much it's unforgiving to the new, you just need to focus on studying enemy patterns. That and parrying is your best friend.

I played this game for 2 years and stopped back in 2017 because I was stuck on Undead Giant in one of the early chalices and Gehrman. Just came back and played the game for no more than a week or less and just got the Platinum yesterday. Once you learn how to parry AND read enemy patterns, it becomes a lot more fun to play.

The hardest for me have been...

Main game - Rom
DLC -
Orphan of Kos and Laurence
(I gave up on trying to beat the latter on NG+)
Chalice dungeons - Pthumerian Descendant (Ihyll), Abhorrent Beast, and Rom again

Rom has been a stumbling block for me on all four playthroughs, NG+2 in particular.

As for the hardest enemy hunters, those would be the ones in
Byrgenwerth and Research Hall.
I love using the Cane, but I hate being in the receiving end. The one in the DLC took me more tries to beat on NG+, than most of the bosses.

Pthumerian Descendant is relatively easy. You just need to fish for parries and he goes down pretty fast. That and keep a little distance from him so he charges his attacks, which is when you parry him. Works even after he splits his blades into two. Abhorrent Beast was too easy. I think I parried him too

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I am still building Arcane, currently at 16 or something. So I am not surprised Ludwig's Holy Blade relatively low damage. But just going by the damage numbers in the menu screen, LHB and Tonitrus should have done similar damage. But instead Tonitrus outperformed LHB by quite a bit on those snakes.

Ludwig has pretty high damage if you have good gems AND stacked up on strength and skill. My LHB outputs max damage at 485 transformed or 200 in its normal state. Most enemies I fight that aren't bosses are killed in no more than 3-5 hits, including Hunters I fight in the Chalice Dungeons or NG+

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Pthumerian Descendant is relatively easy. You just need to fish for parries and he goes down pretty fast. That and keep a little distance from him so he charges his attacks, which is when you parry him. Works even after he splits his blades into two. Abhorrent Beast was too easy. I think I parried him too

Pthumerian Descendant is not that bad in the earlier chalices, but it took me ages to beat him solo in Ihyll. I beat the Ihyll bosses on co-op, when I went through the dungeon the first time. The fast and aggressive bosses are my kryptonite, particularly when there's very little room for error. I managed to parry him to death eventually, eventhough it was a close call towards the end.

Here's a video of the fight:

I didn't even know you could parry Abhorrent Beast. I actually cheesed him both times with Evelyn + Bone Marrow Ash, and Poison Knives.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The game isn't so much it's unforgiving to the new, you just need to focus on studying enemy patterns. That and parrying is your best friend.

I played this game for 2 years and stopped back in 2017 because I was stuck on Undead Giant in one of the early chalices and Gehrman. Just came back and played the game for no more than a week or less and just got the Platinum yesterday. Once you learn how to parry AND read enemy patterns, it becomes a lot more fun to play.

Oh I know. I wasn't refering to myself. I was referring to the noob I was trying to help and how he got bodied in one of the worst spots to get invaded lol

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Yes, you can buy one every playthrough. I dunno if you can buy one from NG retrospectively on NG+, if you missed it the first time.

You can definitely buy multiple during one playthrough, I have like 15 fully upgraded weapons in only 3 playthroughs and went through chalice dungeons just enough to get the Platinum.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Kirkhammer is way too slow for me especially when you get into the end game. Burial Blade/Ludwig Holy Blade/Hunter Axe are my favorites
It's definitely slow and initially I didn't think it would work as well for me as it does. But I am getting pretty good at timing my attacks. It's really fun to have an Executioner wobble towards you, all threatening, only to ohk him with a fully charged R2 just as he is about to swing his axe.

With regular enemies I can simply go ham with R1, knowing that any damage I might take in the process gets replenished in one hit of my maul.

Ludwig has pretty high damage if you have good gems AND stacked up on strength and skill. My LHB outputs max damage at 485 transformed or 200 in its normal state. Most enemies I fight that aren't bosses are killed in no more than 3-5 hits, including Hunters I fight in the Chalice Dungeons or NG+
Oh I don't doubt that. It's just that with my current level of Strength/Arcane, Tonitrus outperforms it because it has Str/Arc scaling whereas my fire LHB only scales off my subpar Arcane at the moment.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The root chalices? I only played standard, but I can definitely say some of the Chalices have fantastic designs (Ailing Loran and Great Isz are my personal favorites)

I think its because they're mostly underground conjoined rooms and kind of claustrophobic without the same verticality and expanse. Individual rooms can look nice, it was just hard going from the main game to those when the world was so open and natural feeling.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
I think its because they're mostly underground conjoined rooms and kind of claustrophobic without the same verticality and expanse. Individual rooms can look nice, it was just hard going from the main game to those when the world was so open and natural feeling.
That's the point. It's designed to be generated. It's not hard going into anything if you set your expectations. Some of them are fantastic though.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Shadow of Yharnam is (are?) down...

two tries.

Current score, asterisks are for when I only count my first time fighting them in case I fought them on multiple playthroughs:

Cleric Beast - 2* tries
Father Cascoigne - 1*
Blood-Starved Beast - 2*
Vicar Amelia - 2
Witches of Hemwick - 2
Darkbeast Paarl - 2
Shadow of Yharnam - 2

I am happy I am doing good, but it is kind of disappointing as well. I miss the feeling of satisfaction the bosses in Dark Souls 3 gave me when I finally overcame them.