• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Welp, this doesn't bodes well. Considering Furukawa's comments that he's gonna put much more of Nintendo's resources into mobile and him coming from a marketing background, I guess we're gonna see much less experimental stuff and much more rehashing of the few well-selling IPs.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it won't hurt the "younger devs making their own games" they kept talking with Splatoon and afterward.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd wait a few years and see if Nintendo's output changes before jumping to conclusions, but it is an interesting change.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Sounds like a bad idea. Games designed by executives/focus groups/committee are making everything bland

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
My take away from those two tweets isn't that it's going to more restrictive but that it's going to be more efficient for green lighting and development of some titles?

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Welp, this doesn't bodes well. Considering Furukawa's comments that he's gonna put much more of Nintendo's resources into mobile and him coming from a marketing background, I guess we're gonna see much less experimental stuff and much more rehashing of the few well-selling IPs.

Hmm, if the process was the same before but just included more people as the tweet says, isn't this more just an effort to streamline things? Or are you saying this isn't true?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a bad idea. Games designed by executives/focus groups/committee are making everything bland

Have you actually read the tweets? Toto is suggesting that this same group existed beforehand but was larger, and now Furukawa wants to make it smaller, so less "by committee" than before.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, if the process was the same before but just included more people as the tweet says, isn't this more just an effort to streamline things? Or are you saying this isn't true?

Exactly. This is a weird thread, the OP is basically drawing a conclusion opposite to what the actual reporter is suggesting.

OP
OP
Escalario

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It does streamline the process, yes. But the problem is that board of directors will most likely result in less experimental stuff like Splatoon, Arms, etc. being greenlighted IMO.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Since it says five directors, I'm guessing they are Furukawa, Shinya Takahashi, Yoshiaki Koizumi, Takashi Tezuka and Miyamoto. Would make sense to why they finally promoted Tezuka after all these years.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
It does streamline the process, yes. But the problem is that board of directors will most likely result in less experimental stuff like Splatoon, Arms, etc. being greenlighted IMO.

But there are less people that can veto ideas than previously? Surely that means we are more likely to see experimental stuff?

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like, why do you say this if the process was similar with more people beforehand? I'm not understanding your logic. Is there something else fundamentally changing here that you're aware of

Oct 25, 2017
This is quite the clickbaity title lmao.

Previous Nintendo structure made it so you had to get your shit approved by five billion different people, and just one person saying no along the way made it all collapse.

This will make the process a lot faster and smoother.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I'd be quite so pessimistic. This is very much the Pixar Braintrust model of incubating new projects, which in their case was powered by their senior creative core, and whereas some of you are imagining a bunch of detached executives unwilling to make big gambles, the situation looks rather different if you realize that some subset of Miyamoto, Takahashi, Koizumi, Tezuka, and so on are likely to remain involved as senior figures, while understanding the need to cultivate new talent. And figures like these are neither detached from the software nor risk-averse.

Let's wait and see. Splatoon was such a smash hit beyond all expectations that the process that brought it to fruition is certain to inform Nintendo's thinking going forward; it's not like they'll suddenly throw those lessons out.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"will decide on certain product ideas together"
Doesn't read like, they will greenlight all the games to me, but rather decide on certain stuff around all their products in a more efficient way due to not having more people involved in it than needed.
Could help them to make decisions faster.

And even if not:
Shinya Takahashi and Yoshiaki Koizumi are becoming Executive Officers
while Shigeru Miyamoto, Shinya Takahashi and Ko Shiota are still directors.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180426_5e.pdf

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It's in the OP. Considering Furukawa's comments about putting much more emphasis on mobile, I think he's much more interested in making money than earlier Nintendo CEOs.

Iwata entered the mobile business, Kimishima wanted to expand too. That's just the direction Nintendo is taking, mobile will be a pillar but like Fukurawa said, the Switch is the core of their business.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
OP's conclusions are strange at best, and it's impossible to know what it will mean because we have no reference point (i.e. what it was like before) to draw from.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Since it says five directors, I'm guessing they are Furukawa, Shinya Takahashi, Yoshiaki Koizumi, Takashi Tezuka and Miyamoto. Would make sense to why they finally promoted Tezuka after all these years.

Yeah, I assumed it would be a list like that so I don't quite understand why this is a cause for concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.