• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GaussTek

Oct 30, 2017
So, saw this tweet, and maaan, it's true. A lot of DSiWare games now show as "not available" on the eShop.

I had a list of pending ones to buy and none of these are available anymore:

Aura-Aura Climber
Bomberman Blitz
Dragon Quest Wars
Looksley's Line Up
Paper Airplane Chase
Puzzle League Express
Spin Six

But there are a lot more (also looked for some G&W games and so on)

I hope this is a mistake, because they didn't warn in advance ;_;

Edit: Searched for "dsiware" and didn't found anything

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Oh damn. I think I have Shantae just chilling on my 3DS too as I've been saying I would play the whole series for like 5 years now lol.

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. Only 12 ish years for these. Long time but still a bummer. I was big into DSi when it came out and bought a lot of DSiWare, probably out of luck now

Glabados

Sep 22, 2018
That's a bummer. I love Aura Aura Climber.

If I'm not mistaken, I think some of these contain exploitable code that allows for easy 3DS hacking/homebrew/pirating, wonder if that has something to do with it.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Shiiiit. I've been meaning to see which DSiWare titles were worth picking up šŸ˜­

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Aw, shit. This is why I've been purchasing eShop games on a monthly basis over the past year -- I hadn't even gottem started on the DSi games! Now might be the time to speed up that process...

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
For those with Japanese 3DSes -- I just hopped onto the eShop on mine and it appears the likes of X-Scape (X-RETURNS) and Dr. Mario Express (ć”ć‚‡ć£ćØDr. MARIO) are still on there, at the very least? I'll be testing it out tomorrow, but for those who are able, you may want to double-check the Japanese eShop and grab whatever's on your DSi to-do list!

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Nah, it's bound to happen. I mean, 3DS is no longer supported.
Except it was only a specific set of games based on release date, exactly 10 years after, and not, you know, by platform?

Look up "Valet Parking 1989". A dsiware title that's still available.

It's possible nintendo didn't think it would be open that long and their server only processes years as a single digits value.

Last edited:

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Eugh, not hyped to read this. Is it possible to get the attention of any developer with a prominent releases like WayForward to weigh in on it? Don't have much hope it'll be "fixed"...

I see the list of games that are gone but a list of what's left and worthwhile would be more useful now...

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Glad what I have from there is still downloaded to my 3DS since I don't tend to delete things.

I don't want any "your digital future!" mongrels coming in here, but unless this is a glitch (hopefully) Nintendo is making it hard to trust them for digital purchases.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Eugh, I went through and scrolled through "By Latest Release" on the eShop and yeah, there's pretty much nothing left. 99% junk left over, hard to recognize and pick out anything worthwhile.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Glad I picked up a lot of what I wanted from these a couple years ago in anticipation of this. Just means I need to accelerate my purchases of some of the virtual console games on WiiU and 3DS before they are gone. Hopefully this is a mistake and I can grave a couple of the other games I had on the wishlist.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me nervous for the digital future.
Yeah, this sucks, and Nintendo was always the one of the big three that I was worried about when it came to digital software permanence. It's a worrying sign to be sure. If it's not a mistake in some way it's very concerning, as I don't think there's any real reason for them to arbitrarily disappear if the 3DS eShop is still up.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's bound to happen. I mean, 3DS is no longer supported.
Nintendo still does tons of eshop sales so it's weird to suddenly remove these games with no warnings.

Looks like I need to speed up my eshop purchases been purchasing tons of 3ds games for cheap. Finally had to upgrade my ad card to a 64gb

JaggiBaggi

Nov 4, 2017
They have always given advance warnings before delisting titles before. If this was some intended thing as the Digital Doomsayers TM are trying to push in the thread, we'd have gotten an early announcement.

Most likely thing is that it's a glitch and they'll be restored soon.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, gonna have to speed up my WiiU and 3DS purchases. Most of what I want is Virtual Console, but that doesn't mean I'm safe from this either.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Thinking more about this put me on #TeamBug for this one. It's probably a database query or something not returning everything past a certain date given how widespread it is and hasn't hit all the regions apparently.

Eugh, not hyped to read this. Is it possible to get the attention of any developer with a prominent releases like WayForward to weigh in on it? Don't have much hope it'll be "fixed"...

I see the list of games that are gone but a list of what's left and worthwhile would be more useful now...

One of the WayForward people chimed in on the linked Twitter thread and basically said "well that sucks, there was a neat bonus in <game> if you owned some of our other DSiWare titles"

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
They have always given advance warnings before delisting titles before. If this was some intended thing as the Digital Doomsayers TM are trying to push in the thread, we'd have gotten an early announcement.

Most likely thing is that it's a glitch and they'll be restored soon.

I mean DSiWare is obscure enough that it seems a possibility it could be some quiet thing. I'm sure everyone here lamenting is sincerely hoping it is a glitch right now, this just seems a bit more distressing because the platform is obscure enough it's easier to imagine Nintendo just not commenting on it at all. We have to hope it gets fixed while sitting in the dark like the recent Vita issues, which is pretty uncool. Would love to be wrong and Nintendo issues some comment.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I verified with my JP friend that the JP games are all up, unaffected. My PAL friend says some of the removed games have been untouched there too. Strictly an NOA thing

JaggiBaggi

Nov 4, 2017
I mean DSiWare is obscure enough that it seems a possibility it could be some quiet thing. I'm sure everyone here lamenting is sincerely hoping it is a glitch right now, this just seems a bit more distressing because the platform is obscure enough it's easier to imagine Nintendo just not commenting on it at all. We have to hope it gets fixed while sitting in the dark like the recent Vita issues, which is pretty uncool. Would love to be wrong and Nintendo issues some comment.

Given this seems to be US specific and incredibly limited, it being a glitch is the most obvious explanation. Come on.

Has anyone actually contacted Nintendo about this?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't Nintendo moving their eShop infrastructure over to AWS?

Could just be related to that.

OP
OP
GaussTek

GaussTek

Oct 30, 2017
Somewhat glad that this is only happening in the NA eshop. Hope the games come back soon ;_;

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Got 3D Space Tank (X-Scape) a few minutes ago here in Europe just to be safe.

Why did I wait 10 years for this? It's ultra slick!

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Can they still be redownloaded for the people who already bought them but just deleted them for space?

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
It's really strange Nintendo didn't communicate this beforehand.

Nintendo is strange about these things. We got notice for when Wiishop Channel was shut down. They didn't communicate Donkey Kong or Pikmin 3 delisting on WiiU's eShop. We got told a couple months ago when Mario Maker will be delisted, and the companion website taken down. Now this development comes out of nowhere. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, so there could be more.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
It seems pretty likely that this is some sort of bug. At least, that's the vibe I'm getting from it.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
cricket-1345065_1280.jpg

Team bug

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo is strange about these things. We got notice for when Wiishop Channel was shut down. They didn't communicate Donkey Kong or Pikmin 3 delisting on WiiU's eShop. We got told a couple months ago when Mario Maker will be delisted, and the companion website taken down. Now this development comes out of nowhere. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, so there could be more.
They gave advance warning on Yoshi's Cookie on Virtual Console being delisted. Also advance warning for Devil's Third online shutdown and Wii/DS online services. And the DSi Shop. And the DKC trilogy on VC but those got relisted after awhile.

Honestly the only thing Nintendo hasn't given warning on are the delistings for some Wii U games when their Switch ports come up, and some of those get relisted anyway.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the same for the Australian eShop?

edit: seem to still be there for me. Well Bomberman Blitz was anyway.

Last edited:

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
They gave advance warning on Yoshi's Cookie on Virtual Console being delisted. Also advance warning for Devil's Third online shutdown and Wii/DS online services. And the DSi Shop. And the DKC trilogy on VC but those got relisted after awhile.

Honestly the only thing Nintendo hasn't given warning on are the delistings for some Wii U games when their Switch ports come up, and some of those get relisted anyway.

Well, remember that in NA they killed a lot of Wii U dev licenses without warning. SOMETIMES indies are able to warn people ahead of time if they know their date, but usually nobody says anything so a lot of the games I reviewed in my early days are unbuyable on the Wii U for that reason, with no statement from Nintendo. Pier Solar is one big example of a gem I covered that's dead. Same with Ballpoint Universe. So if it's an expiration of sorts... this is sadly normal for NA

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Wish Nintendo would do something for preservation on the 3DS/DSi downloadable games. It really irks me that they're going unavailable. Some are irretrievable too from what I've read. Delisted is a contract thing, so I can see that being pretty acceptable. They probably had a pretty big break between the 3DS and Switch shop backends, but even then it would be nice if they were a bit more preservationist about it. Maybe they've had the foresight to make sure title ownership survives even if support for the old hardware dies. Maybe someday in the future we see 3DS/DSi downloads available for switch with some solution for the screen differences.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Well, remember that in NA they killed a lot of Wii U dev licenses without warning. SOMETIMES indies are able to warn people ahead of time if they know their date, but usually nobody says anything so a lot of the games I reviewed in my early days are unbuyable on the Wii U for that reason, with no statement from Nintendo. Pier Solar is one big example of a gem I covered that's dead. Same with Ballpoint Universe. So if it's an expiration of sorts... this is sadly normal for NA
Yes, but Nintendo's very upfront when it comes to their own software and services almost always. Their own games being part of this makes it odd.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they fix this soon. Unacceptable if this was a planned delisting with no heads up.