• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orzkare

Apr 9, 2020
Japan
Takaya Kuroda (Voice actor of Kiryu Kazuma)

Dear Kiryu Coco
Until now Thank you for loving Kazuma Kiryu Thank you very much.
Good luck with your graduation live!

https://twitter.com/takayakuroda/status/1402978526093922309

Notifier
He is voice actor of Kiryu Kazuma.

3DMGAME
3DMGAME Statement: To uphold the principle of one China, we will stop the Chineseization (and distribution) of Yakuza series.
We will not tolerate any kind of desecration of our homeland.

E3kHCbUVkAUMZEk

https://twitter.com/HimeFioTyan/status/1403160499693387777

Sorry for my low language skills.

Please ref this article about Kiryu Coco.

https://qz.com/1911573/virtual-youtubers-suspended-after-calling-taiwan-a-country/
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4018580

3DM

3DM - Wikipedia

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Are saying that if everyone endorses Coco, piracy in China will be over just like that?

Who knows that it'll be that easy.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I need some context? Who is Kiryu Coco?
Hololive Japanese Vtuber who just retired/"graduated" yesterday. She is a big Yakuza fan, even designing her character/backstory with a yakuza motif. She speaks fluent english and is one of the biggest reasons vtubing got popular in the west.

She's been getting nonstop harassment from the CCP trolls since last year after showing Google analytics where Google labeled Taiwan a country

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
OP you need to give us more context. It's not obvious to me what a VA contacting some Vtuber have to do with a violation of the one China bullshit

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need some context? Who is Kiryu Coco?
A Vtuber that accidentally said something about Taiwan being a country or something along those lines. It was a passing comment she made, nothing even in direct opposition to the One China Rule afaik. But since she's recieved harassment and such from Chinese folk and had to retire her Vtuber character.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A VTuber who recently "graduated" likely forced due to pressure from China due to her comments on Taiwan.
VTuber who's a fan of the Yakuza series who got harassed to the point of retirement because she called Taiwan a country in a stream.
Hololive Japanese Vtuber who just retired/"graduated" yesterday. She is a big Yakuza fan, even designing her character/backstory with a yakuza motif. She speaks fluent english and is one of the biggest reasons vtubing got popular in the west.

She's been getting nonstop harassment from the CCP trolls since last year after showing Google analytics where Google labeled Taiwan a country
Damn that's crazy.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Oh no! How is Sega going to recover from all those lost downlo-wait a second! Did you say pirate website?

CCP shills: We refuse to pirate your games because of this
Sega: Lol, I said! Lmao!

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Coco didn't retire because of this. Still messed up that she got months of harrassment for just showing her youtube analytics that listed Taiwan.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Not even that. She showed her Youtube analytics and it had Taiwan as a separate country.

So thin skinned of these CCP footlickers.

Hopefully whatever Coco is doing next is fun for her, and that she's able to keep in touch with her Hololive buddies, even if in an unofficial capacity off stream. She's great.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Kiryu Coco was one of the biggest vtubers who recently retired, who loved Kazuma Kiryu from the games, which got his voice actor to send her a tweet.

She had the gall to mention Taiwan in her viewership statistics, which drew the ire of some CCP fanatics becuase they don't view Taiwan as a country.

They have been spamming and harassing her streams for many months nonstop.

A VTuber who recently "graduated" likely forced due to pressure from China due to her comments on Taiwan.
While it almost definitely had an effect on her decision, it was not the main reason why she retired.

Her and some of her colleagues mentioned that she left due to having bigger goals than what she could achieve while in the company, as well as some creative differences with management.

Last edited:

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
I genuinely wonder if this will gain traction beyond pirate sites and if it makes Sega step in. I can't tell with this stuff anymore.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
3DMGAME just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Pirate culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on legal storefronts where you become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on the internet, it brings shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that the tracker communities, after hearing about this, is not going to want to torrent Yakuza games for any system, nor will they torrent any of Segas games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but 3DMGAME has alienated an entire market with this move.

3DMGAME, publicly apologize and reverse this decision or you can kiss your seeders goodbye.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Man, nationalism is a scourge. Why is a piracy website even entertaining that nonsense?

I guess piracy isn't against the CCP's wishes so it's cool. Is Piracy legal there? Because the whole things seems hypocritical as fuck if not. Stopping the distribution of Yakuza games because a VA sent a message to someone who showed some analytical data collected by Google because it showed Taiwan as it's own country yet continuing to break Chinese law directly.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who knew a vtuber would be the death of piracy?

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That is one big kusa. Positives all around (minus Coco graduating).

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So the take away is that you should continue to include Taiwan references if you DON'T want your game pirated? Lol

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
"A Chinese Pirate website" as in like a place to torrent games and movies? If so, who gives a rat's ass? I mean is the story about how ridiculous it is for pirates to be salty some online person said something about Taiwan?

Edit: just read they aren't a pirate website? Hmm ok I guess to each their own.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
3DMGAME just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Pirate culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on legal storefronts where you become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on the internet, it brings shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that the tracker communities, after hearing about this, is not going to want to torrent Yakuza games for any system, nor will they torrent any of Segas games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but 3DMGAME has alienated an entire market with this move.

3DMGAME, publicly apologize and reverse this decision or you can kiss your seeders goodbye.

god i laughed

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
she didnt graduate due to this, YT finally got their shit together to filter out spammers last month but I'm sure it did weigh in on her decision.
I mean Hololive rather than defend her punished her. If I'm publicly facing and the company doesn't have my back, I'm gonna take it as they'd rather want me out.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Sega must be thrilled to bits that it's harder to pirate their games in China now. Maybe developers and publishers will start mentioning Taiwan on a frequent basis in order to get their games removed from this site.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Asking a genuine question here...

Do the majority of the Chinese people sympathize with with the CCP?

This seems like a weird move for pirating website.

Having lived there for several years, there is a real push to more nationalism in the last few years whereas under Hu Jintao the country was opening far more (Shanghai Free Trade Zone, consoles becoming legal, less censorship etc.)
In my experience especially the youth is being influenced a lot. The news under Hu Jintao were still normal news, but under Xi Jinping its like everything starts with "Xi Jinping did that" "China did that" "Our party did this."

Xi Jinping is quite smart about that and knows how to get support. Raised pensions, more people got free healthcare, no taxes if you earn under 5k RMB per month, so you already have support from old people due to pensions, people who couldnt afford normal healthjcare before and poor people.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
nationalism or piracy, who knew that would be the struggle for some people.

one would think that you're already sticking it to the voice actor and everyone else who worked on the game by pirating it, but that's just me...

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean Hololive rather than defend her punished her. If I'm publicly facing and the company doesn't have my back, I'm gonna take it as they'd rather want me out.
If they had wanted her gone then they would have just fired her (like the CCP shills wanted). Instead they pulled out of China entirely.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
with the heat she was getting at the time, taking time off i think was still better than leaving it alone. I dont believe she needed to apologize but the end result of all this was that Hololive had to exit the chinese market, losing 5 CN talents in the process instead of firing coco. We had cases where HL lost access to any game that had big China fan bases or chinese devs, or even Asus China community manager torpedoing Asus Japan promotions with other hololive members. YT being shit at fixing their chat exploits led to months of spam where the only recourse was member only chat. HL def didnt want her out with how much they were still supporting her. She said her self she had creative differences with management and they parted amicably but yes things got more restrictive as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.