• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

"A coach for a Dallas-based esports team in Activision Blizzard's Overwatch League was reportedly ordered to delete a tweet that criticized Blizzard's punishment of a gamer supporting protesters in Hong Kong, the latest jolt to the league as it tries to navigate a contentious political issue."

Here is the deleted tweet.

I think this counters Bracks Blizzcon statement that they encourage the free speech of their employees. The entire angle of Blizzards defense in this matter has been that the HS player broke the rules of the esports event and that it had nothing to do with China but here we have a situation like in the NBA where there was a tweet and not a statement at an event but Blizzard still wanted it silenced. I am aware that this is a month old but it directly counters Brack's recent statements and frankly was kinda of lost weeds at the time it happened.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scuffed

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
One would think Blizzard would wait at least 24 hours before proving their non-apology as being total bullshit.

This is a month old but the main reason I posted it now is that it wasn't really ever discussed AND in light of Bracks wholesome remarks it is very important. His statements were lies imo and having people delete tweets proves that.

This is old news btw.

It is and it isn't. It happened a month ago but it kind of flew under the radar and Bracks statements contradict what they did.

Sep 15, 2019
This is a month old but the main reason I posted it now is that it wasn't really ever discussed AND in light of Bracks wholesome remarks it is very important. His statements were lies imo and having people delete tweets proves that.

Just saw the date on the article. My bad on that. But yea this whole thing with Blizzard is clearly them trying to placate their audience and then win them over jumping the gun on announcements which don't even have release windows yet.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Come on people, I know you like to be an angry mob, but really, can't we just keep people's personal thoughts and opinions focused on video games?

There's no room for politics in the words you say or write as a human being, keep politics for the thoughts inside your head that never ever leak out under any circumstances, thanks.

Blizzard is an active opponent to democracy, and they've taken that role not even for an ideal, but profit.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, the president clarified in that PC Gamer interview that they're better than other sports cause they don't interfere with social media, only will act when players use their official channels like tournaments to be political (sometimes). That was of course a lie as well.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wow. Fuck Blizzard. I am never spending another dime on them. So Glad I deleted my account. I do not want to be associated with them at all.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
One would think Blizzard would wait at least 24 hours before proving their non-apology as being total bullshit.
Yep. Pretty much just a stunt to soften (gullible) people for the advertisements that followed rather than legitimate corporate rebranding.

And before the bullshit is posted: BLIZZARD AND THEIR FANS SHOULD NO LONGER CLAIM THAT THE COMPANY IS APOLITICAL WHEN THEY'VE NOW PERFORMED TWO SPECIFICALLY POLITICAL ACTIONS TO SILENCE LEGITIMATE PROTEST.

Sep 15, 2019
Yep. Pretty much just a stunt to soften (gullible) people for the advertisements that followed rather than legitimate corporate rebranding.

And before the bullshit is posted: BLIZZARD AND THEIR FANS SHOULD NO LONGER CLAIM THAT THE COMPANY IS APOLITICAL WHEN THEY'VE NOW PERFORMED TWO SPECIFICALLY POLITICAL ACTIONS TO SILENCE LEGITIMATE PROTEST.

According to them they have very high standards they set for themselves, are supposed to be bringing people together, believe in the power of video games, and are solely responsible for this current situation which they describe as "A nightmare for all involved."

Blizzard is the master's of their own destiny and I hope they keep shooting themselves in the foot every step of the way so this goodwill won't last.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Thanks for digging this back up, OP, to poke another hole in the defense put forth by Brack. Blizzard always in theory reserved the right to punish people for statements made outside the strict context of an esport broadcast by the same rule they cited to justify Blitzchung's and the casters' suspension, but this is a reminder that they may have already acted on that right to control social media.

OP
OP
Scuffed

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for digging this back up, OP, to poke another hole in the defense put forth by Brack. Blizzard always in theory reserved the right to punish people for statements made outside the strict context of an esport broadcast by the same rule they cited to justify Blitzchung's and the casters' suspension, but this is a reminder that they may have already acted on that right to control social media.

The pcgamer interview was really great but man would I have loved to see him ask Brack about this. I don't think Brack would have been prepared. This story really got lost and imo it is the stake through the heart of their entire defense.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's almost like Brack was full of shit

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't he say something around actions being louder than words? Well we're hearing you loud and clear Blizzard. What a shit show.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
"We'll do better going forward... ... our actions will mean more than these words"

Hahahaha

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
The pcgamer interview was really great but man would I have loved to see him ask Brack about this. I don't think Brack would have been prepared. This story really got lost and imo it is the stake through the heart of their entire defense.

Yeah, if you had read the relevant rules to Brack and ask him how those line up with what he said on stage, I don't think he would have had an answer. He was already tripping all over himself after way easier questions.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
You know that 'apology' was made just to make it a bit easier to announce Diablo 4 etc.

Aspen

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
So it could be Jayne himself deleted the tweet...but let's not think about that possibility

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll be the bad guy and point out that the article has no idea whether Blizzard told him to delete it or it was Dallas management, for whom he actually works.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Technically he's not employed by Blizzard so the Dallas Fuel org is probably to blame here. Next year they're going to be traveling to China to participate in some matches as well.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So it could be Jayne himself deleted the tweet...but let's not think about that possibility
Blizzard was neck deep in this ongoing PR disaster at the time, while basically maintaining radio silence. This is before they put out their absolute joke of a statement on the Blizzard website.

Which is more likely: (1) he deleted the tweet of his own volition, or (2) was told to delete the tweet by Blizzard and/or Dallas Fuel management (perhaps at the instruction of Activision/Blizzard)?

Just because a possibility can't be ruled out doesn't mean it's a reasonable assertion, especially when Blizzard's disgusting and capitulating responses to this issue seem to indicate that they're more than willing to bow down to China for some money.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

For those curious about what Sheldon is referring to:

Listen to 8:55 to 11:25 for the cliff notes of the duplicity in Blizzard's statements. You would have to listen to the 2nd part of his series to get a deep dive into Blizzard's contract with their esports personalities.

OP
OP
Scuffed

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Technically he's not employed by Blizzard so the Dallas Fuel org is probably to blame here. Next year they're going to be traveling to China to participate in some matches as well.

Dallas Fuel can't just do whatever they want. They represent OW and Blizzard. They are a franchise. If him being directed to remove the tweet, which he was, goes against Blizzards apparent mission statement it would have been addressed.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
For those curious about what Sheldon is referring to:

Listen to 8:55 to 11:25 for the cliff notes of the duplicity in Blizzard's statements. You would have to listen to the 2nd part of his series to get a deep dive into Blizzard's contract with their esports personalities.

To add further confusion: The American University team that held up a "Free Hong Kong Boycott Blizz" sign during a tournament stream was suspended under a very differently worded provision in the the Hearthstone Collegiate Championship rules but received the same 6 month ban, which, based on the wording of the cited paragraph, seems entirely arbitrary as is the decision that the penalty for casters and players should be exactly the same.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
To add further confusion: The American University team that held up a "Free Hong Kong Boycott Blizz" sign during a tournament stream was suspended under a very differently worded provision in the the Hearthstone Collegiate Championship rules but received the same 6 month ban, which, based on the wording of the cited paragraph, seems entirely arbitrary as is the decision that the penalty for casters and players should be exactly the same.
In other words, Blizzard is making shit up as the go along to create an illusion of being fair and balanced to everyone.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ok ok sure that doesn't look that good

BUT

have you SEEN the Diablo 4 trailer???????

the most obvious of /s

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
Why are we now even discussing some one-month old news and OP didn't even make that clear in the first place? This is not helping having any healthy conversations

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Blizzard:
oopsbwkbu.gif

OP
OP
Scuffed

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Why are we now even discussing some one-month old news and OP didn't even make that clear in the first place? This is not helping having any healthy conversations

Really? I explained why it's being brought up now. Your refusal to read why I saw the relevance of this currently is what makes these conversation unhealthy.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
Just saw the date on the article. My bad on that. But yea this whole thing with Blizzard is clearly them trying to placate their audience and then win them over jumping the gun on announcements which don't even have release windows yet.

Blizzard announcing games years before release date is nothing new, D3 was announced 4 years before release and overwatch was announced 2 years prior to release.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

Back in June Schreier reported they would announce both at Blizzcon, these announcements were more about last years Blizzcon being a disaster then anything else
the upcoming Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2, both of which are expected to be Blizzard's marquee announcements at this year's BlizzCon.
kotaku.com

Sources: Blizzard Cancels StarCraft First-Person Shooter To Focus On Diablo 4 And Overwatch 2

Blizzard has canceled a StarCraft first-person shooter that had been in development for the past two years, according to three people familiar with goings-on at the studio. The main reason, Blizzard told staff, was to put more resources into the Diablo and Overwatch franchises.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
You mean the guy finger wagging political speech on blizzard's platforms while he wears a pin representing a movement that started as a riot is full of shit?

This is shocking.