A Crash Team Racing Remake may be announced at The Game Awards 2018 (Update: Eurogamer confirms)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks.

Anyway, won't be a problem I still play it today on PS3 couch coop AND IT'S STILL AS FUN AS IT WAS ALMOST 20 YEARS AGO!
it's still enjoyable, it has aged pretty well, which is why i hope whoever is handling the remake can nail the gameplay and make it exactly like it was in the ps1 game, and not try something "new".

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Its a counter: Crash was a tremendous success even as an exclusive.
Eh its obvious. The game sold 2.5 million on PS4 in 3 months alone, the multiplat release did not come close to those launch numbers. Oh and the PAL charts are a clear indicator.
I don't care if it can still be successful as a PS4 exclusive, there is no good reason why this shouldn't come out on multiple platforms. I want as many people as possible to play this game.

Man, the soundtrack was so good. I'm sure a lot of it is pure nostalgia, but still. I can't wait to see what the trailer or reveal looks like.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
it's still enjoyable, it has aged pretty well, which is why i hope whoever is handling the remake can nail the gameplay and make it exactly like it was in the ps1 game, and not try something "new".
Very important that they retain the PS1 version handling.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So what is the deal with CTR compared to Mario Kart? Does it have better single player content or it is better on multiplayer like MK?

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
What are the chances 3 GOAT games in their respective genres, WC3, RE2 and CTR all get a remake in 2019. Year of the remakes indeed.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
So what is the deal with CTR compared to Mario Kart? Does it have better single player content or it is better on multiplayer like MK?
CTR was the best kart racing of that time. Mario Kart 64 just came second, buts thats pretty good considering how much of those games we got at the time. It was the first time Mario Kart actually has a competitor, at least until Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing Transformed, which is also stunning to look at, and a blast to play.

Also, some others really good kart racing games were:

- Konami Krazy Racers
- Looney Tunes Space Race
- Chocobo Racing

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
CTR was the best kart racing of that time. Mario Kart 64 just came second, buts thats pretty good considering how much of those games we got at the time. It was the first time Mario Kart actually has a competitor, at least until Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing Transformed, which is also stunning to look at, and a blast to play.

Also, some others really good kart racing games were:

- Konami Krazy Racers
- Looney Tunes Space Race
- Chocobo Racing
No Wacky Races?

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
Man I was so excited if this becuase it could also mean he could've been in smash....until I read that CTR is owned by Sony...the dream is dead.

I'm still excited for the game but keeping it PS4 exclusive will hurt since my PS4 is at home so I would have no way to play it.

Memento

Oct 26, 2017
The best Kart racer. It is known.

Also, CTR is better than Crash Bandicoot.

I am hyped as hell to see it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's outclassed the last two decades of Kart Racers in every way except visuals and online multiplayer for obvious reasons.

-Full single player campaign with story, cutscenes, and 5 full Hub worlds, Hub Bosses, as well as earnable Trophies/Relics/CTR Token/Gems amongst the hubs/bosses/tracks.
-Varied tracks that reward high skill
-The music is some of the best in the genre
-Extremely balanced roster between light/fast, medium/average, and heavy/strong racers
-Rewarding slide boost mechanic
-Item roster is extremely fair and well-balanced, with the added risk/reward strategy of enhancing all items with the Wumpa fruit system
-Battle/Tournament/Arcade/VS/Time Trial/Adventure modes, up to 4 players

It's a dense, well balanced kart racer, and just damn fun. Sonic All Stars and Mario Karts have come close or done better in some ways, but not the way CTR fired on all cylinders. If it weren't for it's technical age, it would be lapping all other racers out there even today. With this remake (if they nail the controls/online and balancing) it finally has the chance.

Feorax

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart has never even come close to the single player offerings that CTR offered. CTR is the absolute definitive best Kart racer for single player in history by quite some distance.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Hyped as hell! I love CTR so much more than every other kart racer - I can not wait to see how this turns out!

Oct 25, 2017
When people say this is better than Mario Kart, do they mean better than 64? Or do you actually think the PS1 CTR is better than Mario Kart 8 on Switch?
They think it's better than any game in the Mario Kart series, and I would agree.

Not only does it hold up, but it feels much more rewarding when you get good at it. Mario Kart feels the same no matter how long you play. There is no depth to the system. Never has been.

Then there is the tracks design, which is leaps and bounds above any other kart racer to this day. In my opinion, MK8 is actually the worst in it's own series when it comes to the tracks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BubbleButt64

BubbleButt64

Nov 4, 2017
It's outclassed the last two decades of Kart Racers in every way except visuals
From a graphical standpoint, CTR is definitely outdated, but in terms of art direction? It's in a league of its own

Such a visually striking game and I hope the artists of the remake take advantage of modern hardware to translate the aesthetic into 3D.

Oct 25, 2017
It's outclassed the last two decades of Kart Racers in every way except visuals and online multiplayer for obvious reasons.

-Full single player campaign with story, cutscenes, and 5 full Hub worlds, Hub Bosses, as well as earnable Trophies/Relics/CTR Token/Gems amongst the hubs/bosses/tracks.
-Varied tracks that reward high skill
-The music is some of the best in the genre
-Extremely balanced roster between light/fast, medium/average, and heavy/strong racers
-Rewarding slide boost mechanic
-Item roster is extremely fair and well-balanced, with the added risk/reward strategy of enhancing all items with the Wumpa fruit system
-Battle/Tournament/Arcade/VS/Time Trial/Adventure modes, up to 4 players

It's a dense, well balanced kart racer, and just damn fun. Sonic All Stars and Mario Karts have come close or done better in some ways, but not the way CTR fired on all cylinders. If it weren't for it's technical age, it would be lapping all other racers out there even today. With this remake (if they nail the controls/online and balancing) it finally has the chance.
Stunning post.

Should be pinned at the top of every kart racing thread that gets created from here on out.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
crash being in smash has nothing to do with sony, they don't own the character.
Oh I know that but I also thought that with Sony owning the rights to CTR crash being dlc in smash would not make sense to promote it. But I also saw that windows central got it so there's always a good chance the switch will get it (I would actually go with the PC version but a switch does at least mean something)

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
When I was a kid I was convinced that I was one of the world's best CTR players. Suffice to say that it's one of my favourite games of all time.

Sp1

Feb 19, 2018
They better not alter the controls for this one like in the trilogy. As someone who has put hundreds of hours into the Mario Kart series until part 8 before even touching the og Crash Racing, I was shocked at how much ahead of its time the latter was. Even more so since it had several mechanics of modern Mario Kart long before Mario Kart. With a robust online mode, this could be the GOAT kart game. Because the gameplay holds up incredibly well and is in some aspects still more satisfying than even MK8.

Leflus

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Sounds like TGA is going to be awesome this year. Too bad it's in the middle of the night for us Europeans. :(

As for CTR, I hope I get a chance to play it on my console of choice. I was a Mario Kart kid that gen and even my Playstation only friends didn't own or play CTR. The posts praising it in this thread makes it sound like it was something truly special.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
As for CTR, I hope I get a chance to play it on my console of choice. I was a Mario Kart kid that gen and even my Playstation only friends didn't own or play CTR. The posts praising it in this thread makes it sound like it was something truly special.
if you have no nostalgia for it there's like a 20% chance your reaction will be "wtf is this shit?", but if you end up liking it it's great, has great single player content too.

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
Sometimes when I ask myself what the best fun racer is, it's always a battle between this and Diddy Kong Racing.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
If you say CTR is better than MK one more time, maybe you'll finally convince yourselves.

Seriously there's no need to be so insecure about it. Let's be happy it's coming out.

Leflus

Oct 27, 2017
if you have no nostalgia for it there's like a 20% chance your reaction will be "wtf is this shit?", but if you end up liking it it's great, has great single player content too.
I love the concept of kart / mascot racers at least. Mario Kart 8 and Sonic Racing Transformed being my recent-ish favourites in the genre. Mario Kart 7 and Joy Ride Turbo were solid games too.

The single player part especially sounds great to me. Joy Ride Turbo actually was a pretty good game in that regard. The racing wasn't amazing, but I loved the open world collectathon levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.