A Crash Team Racing Remake may be announced at The Game Awards 2018 (Update: Eurogamer confirms)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Oh so now we're at a point where we're shitting on item management in the kart racing genre... Might as well play iRacing, that game will reward your driving skills 100 times more than CTR ever will.
CTR also has item management mostly where it's needed during a race (and it also has good balance in it), but being able to pick the fastest route should be on you 99% of the time.

Oct 27, 2017
Fans of these games are worse than vegetarians, when it comes to telling the world about their thoughts, in this case how it is the best kart racer in the world and better than every single Mario Kart, even though very few, if anyone at all, have played any of the Mario Karts. Every thread about this game is filled with "Best Kart racer ever" type of posts. Are fans of this game really that insecure about it?
What is up with Era shitting on vegans/vegetarians all the time?

Anyway, it'll be nice to see Mario Kart potentially have some new competition, CTR always felt like a franchise that never really got started. I'd personally like to see them try and take some of the mechanics from ModNation (I.e. the track editor) and put them into a more successful framework.

Oct 27, 2017
CTR is still the most fun I've ever had with any karting games, it just gets the core gameplay better than any of the myriad karting games that came after, and I played my share of those. Heck, the only karting game that came close to being as fun as CTR was Sonic Racing Transformed. Playing this online will be crazy fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Please please add Spyro characters and world's... I love the original, but a CTR remake has the potential for so much pizzazz.
That‘d be really cool, please do it Sony/Activision or whoever is involved with this! I‘d be ok with new tracks and characters as long as it‘s on top of all the original content, because CTR was a little bit too short for my taste.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
Here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/pal-charts-week-26-2018.52854/page-4#post-9947347

Launch week UK was ~25k for Xbox, Switch combined and over 100k for PS4.
but that's one week, in one market (that leans very heavy towards ps4). you said ps4 version has outsold the 3 versions combined, so unless you have a source for that, you're not correct.
and not that it matter a lot, but this week in the UK charts, the xbo and switch versions are in the top 40 but ps4 version isn't.

Nov 5, 2017
This is what I've wanted for a long time. My son and I still play the original on the PS1. Looking forward to this. Absolute day one purchase

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty damn good, or was, I've not played in years, at this game, but I could never get the shortcut at the end of Cortex Castle, where you do the 90 degree left turn and jump onto the wooden beam to skip the stairs.

It's literally the only shortcut I could never do. Everything else I was perfectly fine with, but I don't think I landed that even once.

Dec 5, 2017
CTR is still the most fun I've ever had with any karting games, it just gets the core gameplay better than any of the myriad karting games that came after, and I played my share of those. Heck, the only karting game that came close to being as fun as CTR was Sonic Racing Transformed. Playing this online will be crazy fun.
Booom, this one gets it right.

Not even the newest MK comes close to the (simpler) gameplay of CTR, making it the absolute best kart game ever and still unsurpassed after all this time.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty damn good, or was, I've not played in years, at this game, but I could never get the shortcut at the end of Cortex Castle, where you do the 90 degree left turn and jump onto the wooden beam to skip the stairs.

It's literally the only shortcut I could never do. Everything else I was perfectly fine with, but I don't think I landed that even once.
For me it's the shortcut in Sewer Speedway where you have to use the halfpipe with boost to jump into a hole in the wall that's super inconsistent. I don't think I've ever not failed that jump at least once in a race.

Apr 18, 2018
United States
Please please add Spyro characters and world's... I love the original, but a CTR remake has the potential for so much pizzazz.
The mental image of a quadrupedal character like Spyro driving a go-kart is hilarious. How would that even work? Sitting in a seat like a biped would look really weird for him but I could totally see him zooming around on his trusty skateboard upgraded with rocket boosters or something...

Oct 28, 2017
The mental image of a quadrupedal character like Spyro driving a go-kart is hilarious. How would that even work? Sitting in a seat like a biped would look really weird for him but I could totally see him zooming around on his trusty skateboard upgraded with rocket boosters or something...

CTR already had a regular tiger and polar bear as characters, you know :)

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Fans of these games are worse than vegetarians, when it comes to telling the world about their thoughts, in this case how it is the best kart racer in the world and better than every single Mario Kart, even though very few, if anyone at all, have played any of the Mario Karts. Every thread about this game is filled with "Best Kart racer ever" type of posts. Are fans of this game really that insecure about it?
I've never actually met a vegan or vegetarian who is all preachy about it, only assholes whining and projecting.

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
but that's one week, in one market (that leans very heavy towards ps4). you said ps4 version has outsold the 3 versions combined, so unless you have a source for that, you're not correct.
and not that it matter a lot, but this week in the UK charts, the xbo and switch versions are in the top 40 but ps4 version isn't.
It's one week yes, but from that much higher base line and from the legs the PS4 version had for almost the whole first year, which for a much longer time was higher in the charts than the other versions have been after their launch, it's easy to see the statement is true. (It wasn't my statement in the first place)

Oct 26, 2017
Do sony own the rights to CTR or did I misread something?

Wouldnt this make it exclusive?
It'd make sense, but it depends if anything has happened behind the scenes that could let them release multiplatform. It'd be cool for it to be multiplatform, but I think people should be prepared for it to be an exclusive.

Oct 27, 2017

Did you try the shortcut on papu's pyramid?

Or this on blizzard buff

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the fact that I was having nice conversations about this game yesterday (having never played it) - it does seem a little odd that this is a constant thing that happens with this game. I don't see Mario Kart fans saying this kind of thing unless they're defending it, or prompted to - at least here on Era anyway. As though praise of this game can't come from its own merit, it has to come from that it's "better than any Mario Kart".

As someone with no nostalgia attached to this game, it certainly doesn't look better than "any Mario Kart" to me (not only visually, but from a gameplay perspective) - but I'm open to trying it.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
i started playing the game on my psp after like, 5 years i think.
the game still looks amazing, and the track designs (and visuals) are great. i hope they change nothing.
naughty dogs really nailed the visual aesthetics of track design in a kart racing game, it's very impressive.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Despite the fact that I was having nice conversations about this game yesterday (having never played it) - it does seem a little odd that this is a constant thing that happens with this game. I don't see Mario Kart fans saying this kind of thing unless they're defending it, or prompted to - at least here on Era anyway. As though praise of this game can't come from its own merit, it has to come from that it's "better than any Mario Kart".

As someone with no nostalgia attached to this game, it certainly doesn't look better than "any Mario Kart" to me (not only visually, but from a gameplay perspective) - but I'm open to trying it.
People will always compare things to something that is more popular and successful. Hack and Slash games will always be compared to Diablo, RPGs will always be compared to Skyrim and Witcher 3, Shooters will always be compared to Call of Duty. Karting games are no exception here, people are comparing CTR to MK because it is the most popular game in the genre.

Oct 27, 2017
People will always compare things to something that is more popular and successful. Hack and Slash games will always be compared to Diablo, RPGs will always be compared to Skyrim and Witcher 3, Shooters will always be compared to Call of Duty. Karting games are no exception here, people are comparing CTR to MK because it is the most popular game in the genre.
You're not wrong, but it does seem to be especially prevalent in this case lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.