A Crash Team Racing Remake may be announced at The Game Awards 2018 (Update: Eurogamer confirms)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
What's everyone's favourite track, and why is it Papu's Pyramid?
I always liked that raining level that was themed for Pura. It was the first one that I discovered the shortcut on my own :)

That or the skyway one because everybody I played against was super bad at it.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
Buckle up Boys! Buckle Up.
I always thought that trophy was a reference to CTR.
I'm there day 1. I HOPE this will have Split Screen gaming. 4 Player split screen hasn't really been seen on current gen besides Nintendo platforms.

Toxi

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Purra's Temple as a kid, but that's because I was a kid who sucked at racing games and levels like Hot Air Skyway and Papu's Pyramid scared the hell out of me. It took me forever to beat Pinstripe in story mode the first time I played through it.

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it bother you that people think this is the best kart racer ever?
It bothers me that people have to mention it in every single CTR thread without context. You rarely see anyone mentioning a specific MK game being the best kart racer in a MK thread.

Most CTR threads turn into CTR vs MK war because of comments like that, and again, rarely do a MK thread turn into a MK vs CTR thread.

Oct 30, 2017
Curious when this will release in relation to the new Sega Kart racing game because the last one was easily one of the best kart racers i have ever played. I'm also curious how CTR hols up, i was never a crash platformer fan but i do love me a good kart racer.

Oct 25, 2017
The best kart racer is actually Sonic Transformed, but I'll count that as a win for CTR since it was obviously inspired by it.

Oct 25, 2017
It bothers me that people have to mention it in every single CTR thread without context. You rarely see anyone mentioning a specific MK game being the best kart racer in a MK thread.

Most CTR threads turn into CTR vs MK war because of comments like that, and again, rarely do a MK thread turn into a MK vs CTR thread.
MK threads don't turn into MK vs CTR threads because the folk who think highly of CTR aren't posting in MK threads just to speak on how much they like CTR and challenge those who feel MK is the best.

On the other hand, this thread has a few folk who prefer MK getting agitated at those who prefer CTR in a CTR thread.

Do you see the problem?

Either way, it should not bother you, or anyone else, for someone to say CTR is the best kart racer ever. I mean, Mario Kart isn't even being directly mentioned or trashed in that statement. It says more about the person getting upset.

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I worst than MK DD!, so theres that. The really bad one is Nitro Kart, imho
I really didn’t like CTTR, the tone and gameplay were a massive turnoff for me. It feels like a completely different game but executive meddling made them turn it into a Crash game last minute.

At least with CNK, I can see some honest to god effort trying to replicate CTR to a T, even if the final product itself is massively flawed.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
You better slow your roll. Double Dash is the pinnacle of the Mario Kart franchise.
While i don't agree with that statement (my favorite one is MK Wii), i was refering to the fact that Crash Tag Team Racing is indeed worst than MK DD :P.

And Nitro Kart is just boring, is slow. Slow as hell!!!!

Professor Beef

YOU WANNA GO DUMB, I'LL GO DUMB WITH YOU
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
While i don't agree with that statement (my favorite one is MK Wii), i was refering to the fact that Crash Tag Team Racing is indeed worst than MK DD :P.

And Nitro Kart is just boring, is slow. Slow as hell!!!!
you're dead to me

you're more dead to me than one of the times cyclops was dead!!!

Oct 27, 2017
MK threads don't turn into MK vs CTR threads because the folk who think highly of CTR aren't posting in MK threads just to speak on how much they like CTR and challenge those who feel MK is the best.

On the other hand, this thread has a few folk who prefer MK getting agitated at those who prefer CTR in a CTR thread.

Do you see the problem?

Either way, it should not bother you, or anyone else, for someone to say CTR is the best kart racer ever. I mean, Mario Kart isn't even being directly mentioned or trashed in that statement. It says more about the person getting upset.
The reason why MK threads never turn into a war zone is because half of the posts aren't randomly "MK is best kart racer ever, come fight me", like all CTR threads. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure what the agenda is from the "CTR is the best kart racer ever" guys. The problem is that they just randomly include it, even though there's no need for it, like in this thread. This thread has nothing to to with MK, but CTR fans just need to tell the world it's best kart racer whenever they have the chance it seems. It's pretty annoying since it derails every single CTR thread.

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
The reason why MK threads never turn into a war zone is because half of the posts aren't randomly "MK is best kart racer ever, come fight me", like all CTR threads. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure what the agenda is from the "CTR is the best kart racer ever" guys. The problem is that they just randomly include it, even though there's no need for it, like in this thread. This thread has nothing to to with MK, but CTR fans just need to tell the world it's best kart racer whenever they have the chance it seems. It's pretty annoying since it derails every single CTR thread.
This is pretty much the case for every Crash thread here. You can’t scroll down the page without someone tooting their revisionist horn.

Oct 25, 2017
A CTR thread doesn't get derailed by.....talking about CTR. It does not derail until someone cannot handle the opinion that CTR is the best kart racer ever and forces MK (in this circumstance) into the situation.

We can agree to disagree (I won't be responding after this post), but I guess you're going to have a tough time with CTR threads going forward, unfortunately.

Nov 24, 2017
I am pretty nostalgic for the original Crash games but I only find them to be alright games at best usually.

CTR though? Absolute masterpiece. One of my all-time favorite games to the point that it has kind of ruined the rest of the karting racer genre for me. They absolutely *have* to nail the gameplay feel or else it will just be a cheap imitation in my mind.

Oct 25, 2017
A CTR thread doesn't get derailed by.....talking about CTR. It does not derail until someone cannot handle the opinion that CTR is the best kart racer ever and forces MK (in this circumstance) into the situation.

We can agree to disagree (I won't be responding after this post), but I guess you're going to have a tough time with CTR threads going forward, unfortunately.
You I feel like you could change the game topic to any game and this post would still be factual. It’s why most game threads go to shit on here

Oct 8, 2018
Why would Sony own CTR?
I dont know too much how did that happen, but sony definitely still owns the CTR IP, other users here already found proof. my guess is activision made a deal with sony so it will be a PS4 timed exclusive for a year before it releases to other platforms.

Mar 4, 2018
I dont know too much how did that happen, but sony definitely still owns the CTR IP, other users here already found proof. my guess is activision made a deal with sony so it will be a PS4 timed exclusive for a year before it releases to other platforms.
Huh? Could you show me where there’s proof? (Long topic)

Oct 8, 2018
Huh? Could you show me where there’s proof? (Long topic)
alright i tried to look back to one of the first pages and found it:
CTR (Crash Team Racing) Game ©1999-2007 Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Developed by Naughty Dog, Inc. Source Code © Naughty Dog, Inc. CTR and Crash Team Racing and related characters ™ & ©1999-2007 Universal Interactive Studios, Inc. All rights reserved.

JaseC

🎄You'll always have friends at the Grand Hotel🎄
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Just to clarify, Sony doesn't own the CTR IP; Acti does. There's nothing stopping Acti from rebooting the series or greenlighting a sequel. But Sony does own the original game itself, so unless that has quietly changed, there is zero chance of a remake going multiplatform.

Oct 28, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I loved CTR! (Not better than DKR, but what is?) But seriously, it was such a fun game, and such a challenging racer--especially those Relic Races! I'm totally in for sure. I just hope it doesn't steal Team Sonic Racing's thunder by releasing too close. I know some are thinking, "Yeah, there's no way CTR DOESN'T do that!" but still...

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, Sony doesn't own the CTR IP; Acti does. There's nothing stopping Acti from rebooting the series or greenlighting a sequel. But Sony does own the original game itself, so unless that has quietly changed, there is zero chance of a remake going multiplatform.
Sony owns a copyright over the actual, finished product on the disc (or digital storefront) for the purposes of protecting the sale of said product, but they don't own the actual content in any meaningful way beyond the actual source code. It's produced under a license and as you've said, all the actual IP (names, characters, locations, gameplay, concepts, visuals, audio, etc) are all Activision's property. Considering the remake would likely not use any original source code, Activision can do whatever they want with it because it won't be using the one piece Sony actually owns.

JaseC

Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Sony owns a copyright over the actual, finished product on the disc (or digital storefront) for the purposes of protecting the sale of said product, but they don't own the actual content in any meaningful way beyond the actual source code. It's produced under a license and as you've said, all the actual IP (names, characters, locations, gameplay, concepts, visuals, audio, etc) are all Activision's property. Considering the remake would likely not use any original source code, Activision can do whatever they want with it because it won't be using the one piece Sony actually owns.
Acti's not free to remake the game just because it owns the IP. That'd be grounds for copyright infringement as it'd be a replication of the product Sony owns (i.e. a "derivative work"). The situation with CTR is different to that of the other PSX Crash games, where Sony owns only the original source code.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
If it was a remaster I could see an argument for exclusivity. However, if I was Activision, I wouldn’t spend the time ‘remaking’ a game just to confine it to one platform, I’d rather do a sequel or offshoot to circumvent that restriction, especially if I owned the IP.

Oct 25, 2017
Acti's not free to remake the game just because it owns the IP. That'd be grounds for copyright infringement as it'd be a replication of the product Sony owns. The situation with CTR is different to the other PSX Crash games, where Sony owns only the original source code.
For all intents and purposes, you're not wrong, but by my understanding neither of us is probably 100% accurate -- but I should stop myself there and be upfront that my hypothesis on all this is based off of semi-related ownership information from years back, when I had a much closer connection to the teams behind Crash, and obviously I can't share or delve into that, so I'll concede the argument rather than say anything that may cross any lines.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
sony may own CTR, but they basically can't do anything with it since they don't own the crash name, and activision isn't going to bother remaking a game if it had to be stuck on sony platforms. they have either made a deal with sony (timed exclusive or exclusive content) or this is a completely new crash racing game.

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
sony may own CTR, but they basically can't do anything with it since they don't own the crash name, and activision isn't going to bother remaking a game if it had to be stuck on sony platforms. they have either made a deal with sony (timed exclusive or exclusive content) or this is a completely new crash racing game.
That is my thought as well. Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow morning :3

Oct 30, 2017
Which means they probably cut a deal where CTR remake will be Sony exclusive for one year and then be on every platform that is viable.

JaseC

Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
For all intents and purposes, you're not wrong, but by my understanding neither of us is probably 100% accurate -- but I should stop myself there and be upfront that my hypothesis on all this is based off of semi-related ownership information from years back, when I had a much closer connection to the teams behind Crash, and obviously I can't share or delve into that, so I'll concede the argument rather than say anything that may cross any lines.
The point may be moot, anyway, as if Vicarious is indeed developing the game, then, for one reason or another, it'll presumably be owned by Acti. An Acti-owned studio working on a game that's to be owned by a third party doesn't strike me as a distinct possibility (extraordinary exceptions like Destiny aside). With any luck, we'll know very soon.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
Which means they probably cut a deal where CTR remake will be Sony exclusive for one year and then be on every platform that is viable.
that would make sense, but they sent their pre-TGA tease (the furry dices) to a website called windows central that only covers xbox news when it comes to video games.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think this game is going to be Sony exclusive in any way. PR've already sent the teaser dice to Windows Central, among other MS-focused outlets, which is a bizarre choice for a Sony exclusive.

The point may be moot, anyway, as if Vicarious is indeed developing the game, then, for one reason or another, it'll presumably be owned by Acti. An Acti-owned studio working on a game that's to be owned by a third party doesn't strike me as a distinct possibility (extraordinary exceptions like Destiny aside). With any luck, we'll know very soon.
Very true. Whatever ownership the original CTR is held under by current understanding, whatever Activision is producing for reveal tomorrow is not "the original CTR". Deals, legal loopholes, etc, could all be at play.

Oct 27, 2017
How was Crash tag team racing? That was the one I never picked up.
Its terrible. Literally trash. From what I remember the platforming sections were just okay, but the races were boring af. Tracks are badly designed, they are completly uninspired. Power sliding is gone. Instead we got that bad fusion system where two cars combine into one.

Oct 30, 2017
Oh god, please let it be Sony exclusive for one year. I'm not going be be able to tolerate the crying and whining if it's multiplatform from day one.

JaseC

Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Yeah, the dice thing is a compelling counter-point to the notion of exclusivity, temporary or otherwise. PS4 and X1 at launch with unconfirmed-but-totally-going-to-happen Switch and PC versions coming later would be my guess, like Spyro.

Status
Not open for further replies.