A Crash Team Racing Remake may be announced at The Game Awards 2018 (Update: Eurogamer confirms)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
It's better than Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing, which are probably its two closest competitors from that era.
Note that they were asking about Crash TAG team racing, which really wasn't any good. Unless you actually feel it's better than those two, in which case you do you.

What's everyone's favourite track, and why is it Papu's Pyramid?
It's definitely Papu's Pyramid because that track has so many rapid, high-skill shortcuts. Making a perfect lap felt so rewarding. I was so good at it the last time my group of friends played (around two years back, probably), I could hit the huge gap near the end off the speed of a max wumpa (or maybe less) drift boost.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
How hopeful are you guys that we see some gameplay of the GOAT kart racer? Would love a blow out in regards to modes(4 player split screen) and online.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
How hopeful are you guys that we see some gameplay of the GOAT kart racer? Would love a blow out in regards to modes(4 player split screen) and online.
it'll be super lame if it was shown with a cgi trailer, i want to see gameplay and see how they've upgraded the courses.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
it'll be super lame if it was shown with a cgi trailer, i want to see gameplay and see how they've upgraded the courses.
The announcement itself would be hype, but yeah cgi only trailer would be a bit of an anti climax.

Oct 28, 2017
England
CNK mainly suffered from it's roster. It had some great tracks, but who wants to play as Zam and Velo?
This. I was so disappointed with CNK's roster when it came out.

This one better fill out the roster with the missing N. Sane Trilogy characters (Tawna, Komodo Moe, Baby T., etc) before they even think of adding brand new characters (save for Oxide, of course).

Yeah, the dice thing is a compelling counter-point to the notion of exclusivity, temporary or otherwise. PS4 and X1 at launch with unconfirmed-but-totally-going-to-happen Switch and PC versions coming later would be my guess, like Spyro.
I'm still holding out hope for a PC port of the Spyro trilogy. You think it's still likely going to happen?

Oct 25, 2017
The announcement itself would be hype, but yeah cgi only trailer would be a bit of an anti climax.
I'd be thrilled to see a CGI trailer! After so many years waiting for CTR to return, I'd be stoked if all we got was a one-line confirmation from Activision.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still holding out hope for a PC port of the Spyro trilogy. You think it's still likely going to happen?
pc and switch versions of the spyro trilogy are pretty much guaranteed to come, we just don't know when. they even listed those platforms on the game's website before it was removed, and it was leaked by nintendo UK a while before that.

it just seems activision isn't good at multi-platform development and contracts a studio to do the switch/pc ports once the game is done (or maybe there's another reason). i hope CTR is day 1 on all platforms but i won't be surprised if it's ps4/xbo at launch and the pc/switch versions come later.

Oh god, please let it be Sony exclusive for one year. I'm not going be be able to tolerate the crying and whining if it's multiplatform from day one.
lol, the people who would whine about a game being multi-platforms (as if that changes their experience in any way) don't deserve to be catered to.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Thus far both Crash and Spyro got ingame footage at their reveals (not counting the super early Sony E3 logo drop) but assuming this is indeed releasing in summer next year I think it's safe to expect proper footage from the game like we got with Crash Trilogy at PSX.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I never tried CTR but I'll probably buy this over whatever the fuck Sega thinks they're doing right now.
I still love Transformed, I hope this scratches that itch in some form or another.

Oct 27, 2017
A CTR thread doesn't get derailed by.....talking about CTR. It does not derail until someone cannot handle the opinion that CTR is the best kart racer ever and forces MK (in this circumstance) into the situation.

We can agree to disagree (I won't be responding after this post), but I guess you're going to have a tough time with CTR threads going forward, unfortunately.
Not if people actually discuss the game without starting a MK vs CTR war. I don't care about what games are the better, what I care about is CTR threads not being derailed all the time. It would help if the first page is not covered with bait posts like "Undeniably the best kart racer of all time" when there is absolutely no need for it, it's an invitation to war. The agenda is so obvious, and made even more obvious by the fact that those comments are alone the reason why every single CTR thread turns out this way. Without those snarky comments, there would be no derailing.

JaseC

🎄You'll always have friends at the Grand Hotel🎄
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
What mazi said, basically.

Why would anyone whine about multiplatform? What you'll get otherwise is a year of port-begging.
There was a not-uncommon notion that the original Crash trilogy belonged on PlayStation platforms due to their historical exclusivity. A former Naughty Dog veteran wasn't above that childish nonsense, either.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
The agenda is so obvious
yep, i don't even know why it happens, it's not like it has to be the best game ever to be a good game. baiting console wars with statements like that is what shits up CTR threads, not people replying to questionable statements about how a kart racer from 1999 is much better than an entire series of games that have been evolving for 25 years. obviously taste is subjective and someone may actually think that, but when so many posts state that in such hyperbolic ways, it seems more like insecurity than a genuine opinion.

There was a not-uncommon notion that the original Crash trilogy belonged on PlayStation platforms due to their historical exclusivity. A former Naughty Dog veteran wasn't above that childish nonsense, either.
ugh, my eyes rolled out of my head reading that

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
CNK mainly suffered from it's roster. It had some great tracks, but who wants to play as Zam and Velo?
There was something authentic about the bosses which may have salvaged it, but of course they were all inexplicably locked down. I'd still like to play as Nash and listen to Billy West talk shit someday.

Oct 28, 2017
England
pc and switch versions of the spyro trilogy are pretty much guaranteed to come, we just don't know when. they even listed those platforms on the game's website before it was removed, and it was leaked by nintendo UK a while before that.

it just seems activision isn't good at multi-platform development and contracts a studio to do the switch/pc ports once the game is done (or maybe there's another reason). i hope CTR is day 1 on all platforms but i won't be surprised if it's ps4/xbo at launch and the pc/switch versions come later.
Thanks, that's great news to read! Hopefully the announcement will come soon!

But who knows, with N. Sane on PS4, then Reignited on PS4 and X-box - maybe Acti are slowly coming around to launching on all all at once? :p

Oct 27, 2017
CTR is fuckin' awesome...but it's also a 19 year old PS1 game, so I'm really hoping that they drop in a few brand new tracks (I'd love to see a tracks specifically based off Crash 2's Turtle Woods and Crash 3's Bone Yard), work in an extra boss race or two, and also add in Tawna Bandicoot, N. Brio, Koala Kong, Baby T( . rex), and a Lab Assistant as new playable characters.
I also hope that they change up the boss characters' static, simplistic intro/outro cutscenes and make them as beautiful and lively as the N. Sane Trilogy's cutscenes.

Oct 26, 2017
Getting the physics and gameplay 1:1 with the original is vital.
I know N.Sane didn't, but aside from Crash 1, the other games felt fine aside from the ice physics being silly on Crash 2. This one needs to be perfect though.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how they'll be selling this. A retail disc at $20? Or will it be $40? Hmmmmm.
people will easily pay 40 for this, with no added content.
it may seem expensive compared to crash and spyro trilogy where you get 3 games for $40, but i don't think it would stop many people from buying it.

Apr 4, 2018
Oh My GOD

THE KING IS BACK. Please be real I don't need anything else. AND DON'T CHANGE THE GAMEPLAY, the turbo mechanic was so great, so versatile. As for me CTR is much much better than Mario Kart, even MK8D. The turbo in that game is horrible, while in Crash you can charge and cancel at anytime while braking and turning fast as hell.

I can't wait.

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
What mazi said, basically.

Wait, that was real? Disgusting. Goes to show that even developers are subject to being immature, selfish fanboys.

Haha I remember that post. It should be a nice reminder for all the people who think people working in this industry cant have any agenda.
I mean, I know certain reviewers and staff on certain websites are biased with agendas but I didn't think a developer would actually write that shit on a public platform, lol.

Anyway, Spyro is practically confirmed at this point.

Oct 28, 2017
I’m actually totally ok with Spyro being in this now that the Re-Ignited design washed the bad taste of the skylanders design out of my mouth.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I know certain reviewers and staff on certain websites are biased with agendas but I didn't think a developer would actually write that shit on a public platform, lol.
Happens all the time, sadly. I know I've actually decided not to buy games from certain developers anymore based on the behaviour of their employees posting on Era/gaf alone.

Just glad that clown quoted was a former ND employee.

Mar 4, 2018
CTR is fuckin' awesome...but it's also a 19 year old PS1 game, so I'm really hoping that they drop in a few brand new tracks (I'd love to see a tracks specifically based off Crash 2's Turtle Woods and Crash 3's Bone Yard), work in an extra boss race or two, and also add in Tawna Bandicoot, N. Brio, Koala Kong, Baby T( . rex), and a Lab Assistant as new playable characters.
I also hope that they change up the boss characters' static, simplistic intro/outro cutscenes and make them as beautiful and lively as the N. Sane Trilogy's cutscenes.
Without Naughty Dog doing the work I wouldn’t want VV messing up a classic. They can make their own average Crash game again rather than touching old stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.