A Crash Team Racing Remake may be announced at The Game Awards 2018 (Update: Eurogamer confirms)

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...when's the last time you played Diddy Kong Racing? I liked that game as much as the next person, and do think it holds a ton of merit to this day, but in no way does it play better than Mario Kart 8 "from a mechanical standpoint". That game is incredibly hard to go back to.

I can't speak to CTR as I've never played it.
Sorry, should clarify my point in regards to mechanics as it relates only to crash team racing. I have no doubt, and I can attest to this as I own MK7, that time has moved forward for the MK series so it is in fact superior to DKR from a mechanical perspective but not as a an overall package, which my rankings were trying to convey.

Story Mode, gameplay variety, responsiveness, sound mechanical fundamentals (control, drift, boost) and more bring CTR, DKR and Sonic Racing to slightly higher tier than MK, which to me feels like it relies far too much on item probability wonkiness to create an exciting race instead of sound gameplay concepts. It is just a preference, but I can see why others may disagree, as they may enjoy that sort of racing and gameplay while I do not.

As to your question I played DKR about two years ago now, and Sonic Sega All Stars Racing again this year.

Oct 25, 2017
What’s with the want for a Crash Bash remake? I guess you haven’t played it recently because I have. I remember loving it as a kid despite its insane garbage difficulty but it’s awful.

Now I wouldn’t be opposed to a new Crash Bash but that won’t happen.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
What’s with the want for a Crash Bash remake? I guess you haven’t played it recently because I have. I remember loving it as a kid despite its insane garbage difficulty but it’s awful.

I think they should remake it, just price it accordingly. I would be in if it landed in the $15 to $25 bracket. A higher price I do not think is really justified.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, don’t sleep on Crash Bash. That was some good fun back in the day too. Something simple and nice.
I think the sense of adventure in these games (including CTR) was the one thing that made them so good, at least for me. They really feel fun to play just because of that

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should remake it, just price it accordingly. I would be in if it landed in the $15 to $25 bracket. A higher price I do not think is really justified.
If any Crash game deserves a remake it’s Twinsanity. But they would have to actually finish the game and add all the planned/cut content and fix all the bugs.

That game was really funny and I would’ve liked to see their full vision.

Oct 28, 2017

I come back to it every now and again, and I still enjoy it. The difficulty can get crazy though, but the minigames are a lot of fun imo (at least when playing with another player).

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, should clarify my point in regards to mechanics as it relates only to crash team racing. I have no doubt, and I can attest to this as I own MK7, that time has moved forward for the MK series so it is in fact superior to DKR from a mechanical perspective but not as a an overall package, which my rankings were trying to convey.

Story Mode, gameplay variety, responsiveness, sound mechanical fundamentals (control, drift, boost) and more bring CTR, DKR and Sonic Racing to slightly higher tier than MK, which to me feels like it relies far too much on item probability wonkiness to create an exciting race instead of sound gameplay concepts. It is just a preference, but I can see why others may disagree, as they may enjoy that sort of racing and gameplay while I do not.

As to your question I played DKR about two years ago now, and Sonic Sega All Stars Racing again this year.
Ah, fair enough.

I suppose I can agree that Mario Kart definitely prioritizes wonky races/item randomness instead of solid racing gameplay concepts - but as you said, others (like myself) enjoy that. I haven't played CTR, and maybe I'd enjoy that more - but the sort of crazy, randomness of Mario Kart is really what I like about it. It's like cranking a slot machine at the beginning of each race and you just gotta hang on and fuck around. I treat it less like a racing game and more like a party game, if that makes sense.

I can understand that viewpoint though. I should really give CTR a try.

Nov 2, 2017
What he ment with that is that because Crash sold better on PS4 it still a good choice for Activision to make a permanent PS4 exclusive, and I disagree with that, it's still at minimum half the potential sales.
I meant no such thing, I merely corrected something which was wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Someone refresh my memory please, but what could the red dices be referring to? It might be something so obvious from Crash that I'm missing it :(

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
CTR still holds on his own against most of kart racing games, even in 2018. Is still that good.

There was an user itt asking for a new CTR, and, unless is made by people close to the original, i don't want it. Crash Nitro Kart is not only slow, but also boring. Didn't like it at all

Oct 25, 2017
Someone refresh my memory please, but what could the red dices be referring to? It might be something so obvious from Crash that I'm missing it :(
They're orange and they're fuzzy dice, and people hang fuzzy dice on their rear view mirrors. Crash himself does it in one of the original CTR advertisements, IIRC. There's not much to it in terms of fanservice like with the Spyro egg.

Oct 27, 2017
I adore CTR and it left MK64 for dead back in the day.

I'll get this day one provided it runs at 60fps. I know the original didn't but you can't exactly sit this beside MK8D in 2018 at half the refresh rate and expect it to hold up well.

Oct 27, 2017
Well... they never bothered with a sequel so...
I'm not sure if you just don't know about them, or you're not counting them because they're literally not CTR 2, but there was Crash Nitro Kart, and Crash Tag Team Racing.

Nitro Kart was essentially a direct sequel... just not as good.

Also I don't think having a sequel would be relevant to it being good or not anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
They're orange and they're fuzzy dice, and people hang fuzzy dice on their rear view mirrors. Crash himself does it in one of the original CTR advertisements, IIRC. There's not much to it in terms of fanservice like with the Spyro egg.
I see, so the chance it is CTR is highly likely then. Seems like I'll have to bounce early from my drinking night with friends from work and catch TGA live.

mazi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True but sony having the insane trilogy did ablsoute wonders in bringing back the crash fans to playstation. Its probably why they made that one timed. That was the one to get for the return of El Crash Bandicoot. They probably don't need to make another timed deal. The hard core crash fans bought ps4s already so its not usefull to make CTR timed.
i don't think it'll be timed this time. as someone said, maybe activision can give sony something by having the ps4 version include some exclusive content.

OP
OP
BubbleButt64
Nov 4, 2017
Yeah this doesnt sound good. As someone who loves CTR, CNK was a big disappointment. Hope they will be able to nail the controls and feel of the original.
Honestly, I've not played CNK in over a decade. Is it really a big downgrade?

I know that earlier builds of N. Sane Trilogy apparently used a modified version of the Nitro Kart engine so I imagine they might just use it again for development of this.

>__

Alt Account
Oct 28, 2018
and there's no way they'll make a remake of CTR exclusive to ps4, after the trilogy was such a success as a multiplat game.
Thats some alternate way of saying Crash on PS4 alone did incredible well and easily outsold all other versions combined.

mazi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats some alternate way of saying Crash on PS4 alone did incredible well and easily outsold all other versions combined.
that's a weird way to read my post. did i say the ps4 version wasn't a success?
also i'd like a source on the outsold combined thing.

Oct 30, 2017

I played it last year on an emulator with a friend, and we both had a blast, it's amazing. I'd love to see it again someday, maybe with a lengthier campaign.

And no people, CTR is still fun to play, and this is AMAZING NEWS OH SHIT

Oct 27, 2017
Boy, I know I sure can't wait to have the first two tracks on disc and the rest of the game as a day one patch.
In fairness, Crash Team Racing is a significantly smaller game than Sypro 1-3 and will probably fit on one disc, not giving Activision an opportunity to be cheap.

>__

Alt Account
Oct 28, 2018
that's a weird way to read my post. did i say the ps4 version wasn't a success?
also i'd like a source on the outsold combined thing.
Its a counter: Crash was a tremendous success even as an exclusive.
Eh its obvious. The game sold 2.5 million on PS4 in 3 months alone, the multiplat release did not come close to those launch numbers. Oh and the PAL charts are a clear indicator.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting for this since forever, hopefully it supports crossplay.

Is it reasonable to hope for online ? I don't have a fun racer to come back to since I dropped MK8 (unwillingly).

Great news anyway.
Not at all, it's a kart racing game made by Activision no less, there is no way it won't have an online mode.

mazi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a counter: Crash was a tremendous success even as an exclusive.
Eh its obvious. The game sold 2.5 million on PS4 in 3 months alone, the multiplat release did not come close to those launch numbers. Oh and the PAL charts are a clear indicator.
do you think going forward, the series will be more successful if it became exclusive to ps4, or remained multiplat?
activision has no reason to make any crash game exclusive to ps4, that's simply it. it's a big success for them, they'd want to grow the series, and the way to do that isn't going back.

>__

Alt Account
Oct 28, 2018
do you think going forward, the series will be more successful if it became exclusive to ps4, or remained multiplat?
Thats the wrong question to ask. Crash will be a massive success even if it is PS4 exclusive as the majority of the fanbase will be on PS4. To put it simply, if Sony want it to be exclusive they can.

mazi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Btw, will this be PS exclusive?
no, since they also sent the dice thingies to windows central. i think it's safe to say it'll be on xbo too, but switch and pc are unknown.

Thats the wrong question to ask. Crash will be a massive success even if it is PS4 exclusive as the majority of the fanbase will be on PS4. To put it simply, if Sony want it to be exclusive they can.
let's agree to disagree, the future of the crash series isn't in sony's hand, they don't have a say in the matter, and activision has no reason to ignore the 3 non-sony platforms they released the last game on (and had success on all 3). i get it that some people want it to become exclusive, but companies don't work on the basis of hopes and wishes of fanboys.
anyways, this is all moot since activision sent their pre TGA tease to a microsoft-centric website as well, so it's safe to say it's not exclusive and that they've either reached a deal with sony or this is a completely new crash racing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.