• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
When I was a kid I was convinced that I was one of the world's best CTR players. Suffice to say that it's one of my favourite games of all time.

Sp1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
They better not alter the controls for this one like in the trilogy. As someone who has put hundreds of hours into the Mario Kart series until part 8 before even touching the og Crash Racing, I was shocked at how much ahead of its time the latter was. Even more so since it had several mechanics of modern Mario Kart long before Mario Kart. With a robust online mode, this could be the GOAT kart game. Because the gameplay holds up incredibly well and is in some aspects still more satisfying than even MK8.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Sounds like TGA is going to be awesome this year. Too bad it's in the middle of the night for us Europeans. :(

As for CTR, I hope I get a chance to play it on my console of choice. I was a Mario Kart kid that gen and even my Playstation only friends didn't own or play CTR. The posts praising it in this thread makes it sound like it was something truly special.

Oct 25, 2017
The worst MK laps CTR. Truly one of the most over rated games ever made imo.

Hopefully the remake is at least 60fps.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As for CTR, I hope I get a chance to play it on my console of choice. I was a Mario Kart kid that gen and even my Playstation only friends didn't own or play CTR. The posts praising it in this thread makes it sound like it was something truly special.
if you have no nostalgia for it there's like a 20% chance your reaction will be "wtf is this shit?", but if you end up liking it it's great, has great single player content too.

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
Sometimes when I ask myself what the best fun racer is, it's always a battle between this and Diddy Kong Racing.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
If you say CTR is better than MK one more time, maybe you'll finally convince yourselves.

Seriously there's no need to be so insecure about it. Let's be happy it's coming out.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
if you have no nostalgia for it there's like a 20% chance your reaction will be "wtf is this shit?", but if you end up liking it it's great, has great single player content too.
I love the concept of kart / mascot racers at least. Mario Kart 8 and Sonic Racing Transformed being my recent-ish favourites in the genre. Mario Kart 7 and Joy Ride Turbo were solid games too.

The single player part especially sounds great to me. Joy Ride Turbo actually was a pretty good game in that regard. The racing wasn't amazing, but I loved the open world collectathon levels.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, mario kart doesn't come close to CTR.
In what fantasy world does your CTR exist? In mine, while it was fun, it was a technical turd. It didn't target 60 and worse yet it didn't even maintain it's lower target very well, which is pivotal for any kart game. They got the most important aspect dreadfully wrong. Hopefully they do better the second time around.

Also, wasn't CTR on PS1 60fps?

Hell no.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood the Mario Kart vs Crash Team Racing thing considering CTR is largely based on Diddy Kong Racing, not Mario Kart.

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this doesn't come off as too whiny, but I'd rather be surprised to see these games revealed at the show. Maybe there could be a "Game Awards Announcement Leaks" thread so I can avoid it? Super excited for this game, regardless.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
CRT is a poor-man MK64. Always have, always will.
Should we expect to hear why and how, or is it just yet another drive-by with no elaboration?

Both are amazing games released within 2 years of each other, but CTR stands at 88 on MC, and MK64 sits at 83. Sounds pretty simple to me.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
DKR and CTR both wipe the floor with MK64. I get it we all have nostalgia for MK64, especially the battle mode. Its aged like shit in comparison to those other two games.

The only other mascot racer thats come close is probably Sega Racing Transformed.

Still waiting for a mario kart with a big single player world or tons of modes.

Oct 25, 2017
In what fantasy world does your CTR exist? In mine, while it was fun, it was a technical turd. It didn't target 60 and worse yet it didn't even maintain it's lower target very well, which is pivotal for any kart game. They got the most important aspect dreadfully wrong. Hopefully they do better the second time around.
This seems like such an odd thing to hold against Crash, since most of the biggest kart racers of that generation didn't target 60fps.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm leaving this thread until this is confirmed...

Love CTR! Hopefully this won't be exclusive and has online MP.

Hyped for this.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Gotta love a kart racer that actually expects and rewards you for playing well.

If nothing else I'm really excited to see all the incredible artwork finally realized as it was meant to be. That's going to be amazing.

OP
OP
stinkyguy666

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
Look, let's just all agree that all these Kart racers (Crash, Mario, Diddy Kong, Sonic etc.) are great in their own unique ways and there's no reason why they can't peacefully co-exist without having to compete with each other.

besides, none of those titles could ever hold a candle to this iconic Playstation racer:
220px-Shrek_Smash_n_Crash_Racing.jpg

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't a huge fan of CTR back in the day because I thought the drifting system was awful and the characters were lifeless.

That said, I'll gladly take any new kart racing game.

I also second the sentiment that everyone comparing Mario Kart to this is way off the mark because it's much closer to Diddy Kong Racing.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
It would be cool if we could have 60FPS for CTR, but I don't see it happening at all. There is no way they'd prioritize how the game handles technically over how visually striking it is. The latter appeals to a broader audience, unfortunately.

In any case, it's not a deal breaker for me.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So can someone explain to me just how great this game was? I've only played for maybe 10 minutes around five years ago. For reference, I absolutely loved Diddy Kong Racing back in the day.

Oct 25, 2017
The difference being Nintendo almost always strives for a consistent framerate. So yes, I do hold that against Naughty Dog.
This is an even more odd thing to say, considering MK64 not only has a massively inconsistent framerate, but may likely hold the crown as having the lowest most inconsistent framerate of any 3D Nintendo release. From an FPS standpoint, CTR is bounds ahead on top of pushing more geometry and texture work.

So can someone explain to me just how great this game was? I've only played for maybe 10 minutes around five years ago. For reference, I absolutely loved Diddy Kong Racing back in the day.
I go into this in my post in the last page.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking about the technical aspect specifically, CTR was miles ahead of Mario Kart 64. MK64 was also a 30fps game but usually sat around 20fps for most tracks. I played a lot of Crash Team Racing, and I can confidently say that the single player at least was generally a smooth 30.

CTR also looks substantially better than MK64 in terms of textures/geometry. Watch this video and show me a single track on MK64 that doesn't look like garbage today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8fVRSoVmLg

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I like how posts like these either never bother to quantify them, have never played CTR at all or enough to compare the two, or reasoning simply boils down to "cause it's MARIO, Crash Bandiwho??"

Should we expect to hear why and how, or is it just yet another drive-by with no elaboration?

Mostly drive-by and hyperbole. While I can say I never liked CTR handling nor it's tracks (and none of the playable characters were interesting to me), honestly I never played it enough to give it a fair assesment of the game. So yeah, my post was hyperbole and tongue-in-cheek fanboyism.

Last edited:

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't a huge fan of CTR back in the day because I thought the drifting system was awful and the characters were lifeless.

That said, I'll gladly take any new kart racing game.

I also second the sentiment that everyone comparing Mario Kart to this is way off the mark because it's much closer to Diddy Kong Racing.
If anything, im kinda sad nobody talks about All Stars Racing Transformed. It was just so good man. And that OST...CRAZY!!

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly drive-by and hyperbole. While I can say I never liked CTR handling nor it's tracks (and none of the playable characters were interesting to me), honestly I never played it enough to give it a fair assesment of the game. So yeah, my post was hyperbole and togue-in-cheek fanboyism.
Well thanks for at least coming forward to say as much. I love all Kart racers and still really enjoy the likes of SASRT or MK8D, it just stands to me that CTR brought a lot of polish and value to the table that almost no other Kart racer has attempted or managed to nail, so I encourage you to give it a shot at some point with this remake. If VV nails it that is.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like anyone who says Mario Kart is better either didn't play CTR or is strictly a multiplayer person. CTR will continue to blow away MK until Nintendo decides to add an adventure mode.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
If they can get it up to the standards of todays kart racing games, I'm in. I'm not buying for nostalgia alone.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anything, im kinda sad nobody talks about All Stars Racing Transformed. It was just so good man. And that OST...CRAZY!!

Yep. Always a criminally overlooked racer. It was excellent.

CTR also looks substantially better than MK64 in terms of textures/geometry. Watch this video and show me a single track on MK64 that doesn't look like garbage today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8fVRSoVmLg

Been a long time since I saw MK64 in action, and holy hell it looks rough.

That comparison video has actually gotten me tempted to download CTR on my Vita tonight for a replay though.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you kidding? People talk about it all the time here, and rightly so. Sega All Stars is my second favourite Kart racing game ever behind Mario Kart 8. It's seriously good.

Status
Not open for further replies.