• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I'd heard stories of the Mario Kart vs. CTR warring but to see it in person is something else.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Mario Kart 64 is without a doubt one of the worst kart racers to come out of that generation, when games like Sonic R, Diddy Kong Racing and ffs even Mickey's Speedway were capable of boasting creative and challenging track design as well as one-of-a-kind karting mechanics. The leveling based item system and the mini-turbo mechanic, as well as how tight drifting felt in CTR puts it above and beyond MK64.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Ripper Roo main, no arms b.

This is everything if it has online mp.

Mario Kart 64 is without a doubt one of the worst kart racers to come out of that generation, when games like Sonic R, Diddy Kong Racing and ffs even Mickey's Speedway were capable of boasting creative and challenging track design as well as one-of-a-kind karting mechanics. The leveling based item system and the mini-turbo mechanic, as well as how tight drifting felt in CTR puts it above and beyond MK64.
Man I loved Sonic R, but I was a sucker for Sonic as a kid, it probably doesn't hold up anywhere near CTR.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Not gonna get my hopes up just to risk getting disappointed if it isn't announced. Crash Team Racing would be a nice title though.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
fuckin' thank you

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
You think there's a single track in Mario Kart 64 that holds up to shit like Papu's Pyramid?
Sewer Speedway?
Dragon Mines?
Turbo Track????????

Like yeah we get it, Mario is Mario but lmfao if you're going to try and convince other people that Mario Kart 64 was anything but an embarrassing shit-show amongst other, better kart racers. This isn't Wii-era, this is N64/PS1.

Motor Toon GP is a better game than 64 lmfao fuck are you on about

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how posts like these either never bother to quantify them, have never played CTR at all or enough to compare the two, or reasoning simply boils down to "cause it's MARIO, Crash Bandiwho??"

I thought the game lacked a good sense of speed. I didn't enjoy the courses. The items sucked. I thought the artstyle was awful.

Happy?

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Every day I wake up assuming everyone is on board with MK64 being the lesser kart racer of its era and every day people let me down.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
My moms brought me into an Ames on a Chicago autumn afternoon, after school and asked me and my sister what game we wanted. I chose CTR, she chose Crash Warped and to this day I know that my sister eats shit

I'm ready for the remake please just let the online be good

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It's outclassed the last two decades of Kart Racers in every way except visuals and online multiplayer for obvious reasons.

-Full single player campaign with story, cutscenes, and 5 full Hub worlds, Hub Bosses, as well as earnable Trophies/Relics/CTR Token/Gems amongst the hubs/bosses/tracks.
-Varied tracks that reward high skill
-The music is some of the best in the genre
-Extremely balanced roster between light/fast, medium/average, and heavy/strong racers
-Rewarding slide boost mechanic
-Item roster is extremely fair and well-balanced, with the added risk/reward strategy of enhancing all items with the Wumpa fruit system
-Battle/Tournament/Arcade/VS/Time Trial/Adventure modes, up to 4 players

It's a dense, well balanced kart racer, and just damn fun. Sonic All Stars and Mario Karts have come close or done better in some ways, but not the way CTR fired on all cylinders. If it weren't for it's technical age, it would be lapping all other racers out there even today. With this remake (if they nail the controls/online and balancing) it finally has the chance.

I see, hopefully rhey do justice to the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the game lacked a good sense of speed. I didn't enjoy the courses. The items sucked. I thought the artstyle was awful.

Happy?
Thanks for upping the standard of your posts to substantiate discussion. You should be the happy one.

The sense of speed comment is odd to me since pointing to the earlier video someone else posted, CTR seems faster or keeps up evenly at the very least.

Anyway, hopefully the your artstyle and course qualms can be overcome in the remake if you give it a shot.

OP
OP
stinkyguy666

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017

I'm a big believer that all art is subjective. Not liking the game for its sense of speed or items or whatever, that's fine.

but the aesthetics of all the Naughty Dog Crash games are phenomenal. Sorry, that's just one of the objective truths of life.

Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe just someone you don't agree with on a near 20 year old videogame. That's fine.

Why would you enter a thread about a possible CTR remake if you have no interest in the game. Coming in to tell everyone how much you hate it doesn't come across well.

If someone genuinely dislikes it then fair enough, but reasons given in this thread by multiple people have been laughable and have no real basis.

It's obvious judging by these posts, that some people just hate the fact that a 20 year old game does a better job at being a kart racer than the series that created the genre.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm a big believer that all art is subjective. Not liking the game for its sense of speed or items or whatever, that's fine.

but the aesthetics of all the Naughty Dog Crash games are phenomenal. Sorry, that's just one of the objective truths of life.
Yeah, if there's any proof that Naughty Dog are gods at programming is Crash 3 and CTR. The ammount of shit they had to do to run those things on a PSX is amazing. They seriously look good enough today, with upscaling they look like low-poly indie games (in a good way).

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Staaaaart your engines for asonycomputaentertainmentmuricahproductions...

The GOAT kart racer.

4 players split screen, online, please give it to us!

Nomu

Oct 27, 2017
Super excited for this! Hoping it has an online and quietly hoping this opens more doors so we also get a Crash Bash remaster at some point.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I like the look of the Crash remakes but I never did like the artstyle of the originals and CTR personally.

I hope this is real and the fans get the kart racer they love!

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome and it was an amazing game but I wonder why it took so long and why not a new game.

These type of games are popular and I would imagine a new one would sell like crazy.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I've never understood the Mario Kart vs Crash Team Racing thing considering CTR is largely based on Diddy Kong Racing, not Mario Kart.

It was a forced comparison of the time because of console wars. CTR is MUUUUUUUUUUUCH closer to DKR than Mario Kart. DKR and Crash owned at single player fun, and MK64 dusted them both in multiplayer on the back of much better stages and item balance.

All 3 were great (including beetle adventure racing) which is why the argument can go on endlessly. None of the games were bad, so you can literally argue it forever.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Happy?

Yeah no, just no. Mario Kart 64 is slow and the items are not as good as the one in Crash Team Racing.

Nice.

Activision has been knocking it out of the park as far as remasters are concerned.

I disagree completely, both remaster lack subtitles, this is unacceptable in my eyes, and the Crash remaster just has terrible hit detection, wonky physics, no option to play Crash 1 with the Crash new moves from Crash 2.

Plus unlike Sypro remastered Activision didn't invite the original composer to return, despite the fact he was willing to come back.

Activision can do so much better.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no, just no. Mario Kart 64 is slow and the items are not as good as the one in Crash Team Racing.

I disagree completely, both remaster lack subtitles, this is unacceptable in my eyes, and the Crash remaster just has terrible hit detection, wonky physics, no option to play Crash 1 with the Crash new moves from Crash 2.

Plus unlike Sypro remastered Activision didn't invite the original composer to return, despite the fact he was willing to come back.

Activision can do so much better.

Sure the other concerns and issues are annoying but, you would have to rework the level layout of Crash 1 to make Crash 2's new moves work well, you could literally see a mod on how they work on PC, here's an example

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I like CTRs adventure mode but I don't think it's that good honestly. Do a race. Do a race getting letters, do a race breaking crates. Play a battle map collecting crystals, rinse repeat. The core way the races play out doesn't change. I prefer something like Mario Kart DS's mission mode a lot more. The challenges were more varied than anything in CTR even if the structure was a lot more straight forward. I wish we could get a combination of CTR adventure with Mario Kart DS Mission mode objectives

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
They better not fix Penta Penguin's voicelines. You either have him say "Penguin Yay 1" & "Penguin Yay 2" in a bored developer's voice, or you don't add Penta Penguin at all.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I never played the original, so def will try this.

I really hope this one is multiplatfrom out the gate. Last time I was going to hold out until it was announced for PC, and I ended up buying it like a month before it was announced lol No moneyhat please. Let me just buy it on the platform I want since I know its going to be multiplat at some point anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.