• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Alright thinking about it there are 3 critical points that need to be fullfilled for my hype to stay:

1. 1:1 copy of the gameplay, or at least veeeery close to it
2. 60FPS (if it is 30, could be fixed with the PC release)
3. Simultaneous PC release. Timed console exclusivity would hurt a lot since I don't think I could resist buying it twice because I'm a sucker.

I'm assuming here that online mp is a given.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
In what fantasy world does your CTR exist? In mine, while it was fun, it was a technical turd. It didn't target 60 and worse yet it didn't even maintain it's lower target very well, which is pivotal for any kart game. They got the most important aspect dreadfully wrong. Hopefully they do better the second time around.

To be honest this sounds more like you're describing MK64 than CTR.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
lol, that seems like something activision would like

Yeah, which is why I'm expecting them to make it a timed exclusive. I'm already doing the waiting for PC thing for Spyro because it's a sucky business practice. I really need to hold off on buying CTR if they do it there as well.

Sour

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope this hits the Switch at launch. I've always had a soft spot for CTR and remember loving it when I got it working on my PSP

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fans of these games are worse than vegetarians, when it comes to telling the world about their thoughts, in this case how it is the best kart racer in the world and better than every single Mario Kart, even though very few, if anyone at all, have played any of the Mario Karts. Every thread about this game is filled with "Best Kart racer ever" type of posts. Are fans of this game really that insecure about it?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Fans of these games are worse than vegetarians, when it comes to telling the world about their thoughts, in this case how it is the best kart racer in the world and better than every single Mario Kart, even though very few, if anyone at all, have played any of the Mario Karts. Every thread about this game is filled with "Best Kart racer ever" type of posts. Are fans of this game really that insecure about it?

Yeah I am kinda irritated why people use this game for their console war bullshit or their who is owning which IP debates to make clear this is a PS4 exclusive instead of celebrating the return of such a great game without having to downplay other games in the genre or fighting for PS4 exclusivity.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

People in this thread are posting in detail why they think CTR is better than MK. Its not about incesurity. Everyone is entitled to opinion and you should not dismiss someones preference just because he prefers older game than the new one.

It's outclassed the last two decades of Kart Racers in every way except visuals and online multiplayer for obvious reasons.

-Full single player campaign with story, cutscenes, and 5 full Hub worlds, Hub Bosses, as well as earnable Trophies/Relics/CTR Token/Gems amongst the hubs/bosses/tracks.
-Varied tracks that reward high skill
-The music is some of the best in the genre
-Extremely balanced roster between light/fast, medium/average, and heavy/strong racers
-Rewarding slide boost mechanic
-Item roster is extremely fair and well-balanced, with the added risk/reward strategy of enhancing all items with the Wumpa fruit system
-Battle/Tournament/Arcade/VS/Time Trial/Adventure modes, up to 4 players

It's a dense, well balanced kart racer, and just damn fun. Sonic All Stars and Mario Karts have come close or done better in some ways, but not the way CTR fired on all cylinders. If it weren't for it's technical age, it would be lapping all other racers out there even today. With this remake (if they nail the controls/online and balancing) it finally has the chance.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
And the fail state is just not getting a boost, hardly a risk.
I must be crazy to expect "advanced" mechanics to have at least a downside or a risk coming with them.
Incorrect. Drifting for too long in CTR causes you to spin out of control. Successfully mini-turboing is one way to prevent this.

There's your risk. You've played the game, right?

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome back to greatest kart racer of all time. I've longed to have another that rewards skillful driving like CTR does, but I guess it'll take the master returning to show that kart racer doesn't have to be dominated by unbalanced RNG.

Please, let N.Oxide be playable this time. My childhood self being tricked into beating all of the staff ghosts to unlock him was cruelly misled, I'd love to see that fake unlock condition made real.

Deleted member 10549

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must be crazy to expect "advanced" mechanics to have at least a downside or a risk coming with them.
The fail state is not getting a boost, and if youre not getting a boost then youre not going as fast as you should :)
IIRC, drifting without boosting will slow you down.

I played it a while at my cousin's maybe 15 years ago, yeah, and I thought the MTs were ridiculously easy once you took 5 minutes to figure it out.
Its a simple mechanic to learn, but mastering it to take full advantage of it will take you a lot more time. Thats the beauty of it.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incorrect. Drifting for too long in CTR causes you to spin out of control. Successfully mini-turboing is one way to prevent this.

There's your risk. You've played the game, right?
I played it a while at my cousin's maybe 15 years ago, yeah, and I thought the MTs were ridiculously easy once you took 5 minutes to figure it out.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Missing a boost can cost you the race against another excellent player. It is a fantastic mechanic.
Hit boost when green, short boost,
hit on red longer boost,
hit on very limit max boost,
over cook boost, you miss one cycle of boost and lose time and track position potentially.

The risk and reward is what makes it superior to any other boost mechanic in any other kart racer.

Even shortcuts may require higher level of boost at the right time to be reached.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will patch out glitches, if they add more battle arenas.
They really should follow the rocket league model and add customisation to character and vehicles without of course changing the properties of the handling in any way.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
For the record, i don't think CTR is better than every single Mario Kart. I just better than MK 64 or any kart racing of that time. Obviously it was surpassed by MK DD, MK Wii, and MK8. But really, just the fact that it held is own against all of those MK clones is just impressive

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Can all those "bu Mario kart is better" trolls keep out of this thread?

Reminds me of the "bu crash was always bad" trolls in the old crash remake threads.

Crash really makes some people butthurt it seems.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
For the record, i don't think CTR is better than every single Mario Kart. I just better than MK 64 or any kart racing of that time. Obviously it was surpassed by MK DD, MK Wii, and MK8. But really, just the fact that it held is own against all of those MK clones is just impressive

I think that's highly debatable.

Especially since MK8's main gimmick, anti-gravity, had already been done in Crash Nitro Kart (aka CTR's sequel).

Sp1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

I didn't play this game until like 2 years ago. Before that I played every Mario Kart. CTR is the real deal. I'll make the assumption that less people trying to discredit CTR compared to MK actually played the former. I suspect it's really hard for some diehards to accept that there's things that MK even copied from CTR (such as stunts) and that Nintendo could possibly have quality competition for their biggest franchises.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
The drifting is bad, it's the equivalent of snaking and having a mushroom always at your disposal to cut through grass, mud etc...

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Look in what thread you are? This is a CTR thread.

It's mario kart/nintendo fans being the immature ones.

Imagine a MK thread with comments like "CTR is still better", it's nothing more than troll bahaviour.

Comments like these don't belong in this (celebration) thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Why does it bother you that people think this is the best kart racer ever?

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I think that's highly debatable.

Especially since MK8's main gimmick, anti-gravity, had already been done in Crash Nitro Kart (aka CTR's sequel).
C'mon man Nitro Kart is bad as hell. Its boring, its slow, and overall forgettable. i played a lot of it not so long ago, and i don't remember anything memorable. I understand if you like it tho, but MK 8 is amazing as it is (even without the 200cc mode). We are talking about a PS1 game compared to games from 5 years after. MK Wii for me is specially good, it was the first time i played a Mario Kart on online mode, and i had the most fun possible from a kart racing game with it.

CTR was awesome because it has a solid 1p campaign, lots of characters, amazing track design, it feel fast as hell, lot of secrets, it was easy to control, and i looked amazing at the time. Nitro Kart had nothing of that :P

I still believe CTR most amazing accomplishment was that it was the best one between a bunch of MK Clones (or car games made into kids games like Micro Machines or Micro Maniacs). Mickey Speed Away USA, Mario Kart 64, Looney Tunes Racer, Speed Punks and etc. That was one hell of a competition!

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CTR was miles better than MK64 in every possible dimension. MK64 was trash. I'd say it's arguable which is the best between DKR and CTR but both were very good.

Mario Kart 8 is the best kart racer by far though, no competition, it's just the best.

Also, I remember this rumor back a year ago, I guess it's the 2019 game that was mentionned.
Crash-Bandicoot-2019-555x328.png

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
man i still can't believe i get to see all these great PS1 come back after years oh not much, it still feels pretty nut that crash came back and sold ridiculously well

anyway CTR is great so i am down for more, i do hope they atleast add some more characters and maybe some new tracks if they feel like they are up too it

still i can't believe all this stuff has happen

Oct 26, 2017
why would activision send the furry dices to "windows central" and tease a TGA announcement if it's gonna be announced as a timed exclusive?

Good point. Although couldn't that just mean I terms of console it will be a year exclusive but release on PC along with PS4? Then again, Windows implies MS, not Steam. Interesting.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so buying this game. One of the best PS1 games (and of course it's missing from the Classic!). Also much better than Mario Kart Wii, the last MK tried.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
CTR was miles better than MK64 in every possible dimension. MK64 was trash. I'd say it's arguable which is the best between DKR and CTR but both were very good.

Mario Kart 8 is the best kart racer by far though, no competition, it's just the best.

Also, I remember this rumor back a year ago, I guess it's the 2019 game that was mentionned.
Crash-Bandicoot-2019-555x328.png
Uhuh, that's a nice opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.