• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Huh? Could you show me where there's proof? (Long topic)
alright i tried to look back to one of the first pages and found it:
CTR (Crash Team Racing) Game ©1999-2007 Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Developed by Naughty Dog, Inc. Source Code © Naughty Dog, Inc. CTR and Crash Team Racing and related characters ™ & ©1999-2007 Universal Interactive Studios, Inc. All rights reserved.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Just to clarify, Sony doesn't own the CTR IP; Acti does. There's nothing stopping Acti from rebooting the series or greenlighting a sequel. But Sony does own the original game itself, so unless that has quietly changed, there is zero chance of a remake going multiplatform.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I loved CTR! (Not better than DKR, but what is?) But seriously, it was such a fun game, and such a challenging racer--especially those Relic Races! I'm totally in for sure. I just hope it doesn't steal Team Sonic Racing's thunder by releasing too close. I know some are thinking, "Yeah, there's no way CTR DOESN'T do that!" but still...

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Just to clarify, Sony doesn't own the CTR IP; Acti does. There's nothing stopping Acti from rebooting the series or greenlighting a sequel. But Sony does own the original game itself, so unless that has quietly changed, there is zero chance of a remake going multiplatform.

Sony owns a copyright over the actual, finished product on the disc (or digital storefront) for the purposes of protecting the sale of said product, but they don't own the actual content in any meaningful way beyond the actual source code. It's produced under a license and as you've said, all the actual IP (names, characters, locations, gameplay, concepts, visuals, audio, etc) are all Activision's property. Considering the remake would likely not use any original source code, Activision can do whatever they want with it because it won't be using the one piece Sony actually owns.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Sony owns a copyright over the actual, finished product on the disc (or digital storefront) for the purposes of protecting the sale of said product, but they don't own the actual content in any meaningful way beyond the actual source code. It's produced under a license and as you've said, all the actual IP (names, characters, locations, gameplay, concepts, visuals, audio, etc) are all Activision's property. Considering the remake would likely not use any original source code, Activision can do whatever they want with it because it won't be using the one piece Sony actually owns.

Acti's not free to remake the game just because it owns the IP. That'd be grounds for copyright infringement as it'd be a replication of the product Sony owns (i.e. a "derivative work"). The situation with CTR is different to that of the other PSX Crash games, where Sony owns only the original source code.

Last edited:

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
If it was a remaster I could see an argument for exclusivity. However, if I was Activision, I wouldn't spend the time 'remaking' a game just to confine it to one platform, I'd rather do a sequel or offshoot to circumvent that restriction, especially if I owned the IP.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Acti's not free to remake the game just because it owns the IP. That'd be grounds for copyright infringement as it'd be a replication of the product Sony owns. The situation with CTR is different to the other PSX Crash games, where Sony owns only the original source code.

For all intents and purposes, you're not wrong, but by my understanding neither of us is probably 100% accurate -- but I should stop myself there and be upfront that my hypothesis on all this is based off of semi-related ownership information from years back, when I had a much closer connection to the teams behind Crash, and obviously I can't share or delve into that, so I'll concede the argument rather than say anything that may cross any lines.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sony may own CTR, but they basically can't do anything with it since they don't own the crash name, and activision isn't going to bother remaking a game if it had to be stuck on sony platforms. they have either made a deal with sony (timed exclusive or exclusive content) or this is a completely new crash racing game.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
sony may own CTR, but they basically can't do anything with it since they don't own the crash name, and activision isn't going to bother remaking a game if it had to be stuck on sony platforms. they have either made a deal with sony (timed exclusive or exclusive content) or this is a completely new crash racing game.
That is my thought as well. Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow morning :3

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Which means they probably cut a deal where CTR remake will be Sony exclusive for one year and then be on every platform that is viable.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
For all intents and purposes, you're not wrong, but by my understanding neither of us is probably 100% accurate -- but I should stop myself there and be upfront that my hypothesis on all this is based off of semi-related ownership information from years back, when I had a much closer connection to the teams behind Crash, and obviously I can't share or delve into that, so I'll concede the argument rather than say anything that may cross any lines.

The point may be moot, anyway, as if Vicarious is indeed developing the game, then, for one reason or another, it'll presumably be owned by Acti. An Acti-owned studio working on a game that's to be owned by a third party doesn't strike me as a distinct possibility (extraordinary exceptions like Destiny aside). With any luck, we'll know very soon.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I really don't think this game is going to be Sony exclusive in any way. PR've already sent the teaser dice to Windows Central, among other MS-focused outlets, which is a bizarre choice for a Sony exclusive.

The point may be moot, anyway, as if Vicarious is indeed developing the game, then, for one reason or another, it'll presumably be owned by Acti. An Acti-owned studio working on a game that's to be owned by a third party doesn't strike me as a distinct possibility (extraordinary exceptions like Destiny aside). With any luck, we'll know very soon.

Very true. Whatever ownership the original CTR is held under by current understanding, whatever Activision is producing for reveal tomorrow is not "the original CTR". Deals, legal loopholes, etc, could all be at play.

Deleted member 10549

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How was Crash tag team racing? That was the one I never picked up.
Its terrible. Literally trash. From what I remember the platforming sections were just okay, but the races were boring af. Tracks are badly designed, they are completly uninspired. Power sliding is gone. Instead we got that bad fusion system where two cars combine into one.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh god, please let it be Sony exclusive for one year. I'm not going be be able to tolerate the crying and whining if it's multiplatform from day one.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Yeah, the dice thing is a compelling counter-point to the notion of exclusivity, temporary or otherwise. PS4 and X1 at launch with unconfirmed-but-totally-going-to-happen Switch and PC versions coming later would be my guess, like Spyro.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
What's everyone's favourite track, and why is it Papu's Pyramid?

It's definitely Papu's Pyramid because that track has so many rapid, high-skill shortcuts. Making a perfect lap felt so rewarding. I was so good at it the last time my group of friends played (around two years back, probably), I could hit the huge gap near the end off the speed of a max wumpa (or maybe less) drift boost.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
How hopeful are you guys that we see some gameplay of the GOAT kart racer? Would love a blow out in regards to modes(4 player split screen) and online.

Oct 28, 2017
England
CNK mainly suffered from it's roster. It had some great tracks, but who wants to play as Zam and Velo?

This. I was so disappointed with CNK's roster when it came out.

This one better fill out the roster with the missing N. Sane Trilogy characters (Tawna, Komodo Moe, Baby T., etc) before they even think of adding brand new characters (save for Oxide, of course).

Yeah, the dice thing is a compelling counter-point to the notion of exclusivity, temporary or otherwise. PS4 and X1 at launch with unconfirmed-but-totally-going-to-happen Switch and PC versions coming later would be my guess, like Spyro.

I'm still holding out hope for a PC port of the Spyro trilogy. You think it's still likely going to happen?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still holding out hope for a PC port of the Spyro trilogy. You think it's still likely going to happen?
pc and switch versions of the spyro trilogy are pretty much guaranteed to come, we just don't know when. they even listed those platforms on the game's website before it was removed, and it was leaked by nintendo UK a while before that.

ifn9yman1d14.jpg

it just seems activision isn't good at multi-platform development and contracts a studio to do the switch/pc ports once the game is done (or maybe there's another reason). i hope CTR is day 1 on all platforms but i won't be surprised if it's ps4/xbo at launch and the pc/switch versions come later.

Oh god, please let it be Sony exclusive for one year. I'm not going be be able to tolerate the crying and whining if it's multiplatform from day one.
lol, the people who would whine about a game being multi-platforms (as if that changes their experience in any way) don't deserve to be catered to.

Last edited:

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Thus far both Crash and Spyro got ingame footage at their reveals (not counting the super early Sony E3 logo drop) but assuming this is indeed releasing in summer next year I think it's safe to expect proper footage from the game like we got with Crash Trilogy at PSX.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I never tried CTR but I'll probably buy this over whatever the fuck Sega thinks they're doing right now.
I still love Transformed, I hope this scratches that itch in some form or another.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A CTR thread doesn't get derailed by.....talking about CTR. It does not derail until someone cannot handle the opinion that CTR is the best kart racer ever and forces MK (in this circumstance) into the situation.

We can agree to disagree (I won't be responding after this post), but I guess you're going to have a tough time with CTR threads going forward, unfortunately.

Not if people actually discuss the game without starting a MK vs CTR war. I don't care about what games are the better, what I care about is CTR threads not being derailed all the time. It would help if the first page is not covered with bait posts like "Undeniably the best kart racer of all time" when there is absolutely no need for it, it's an invitation to war. The agenda is so obvious, and made even more obvious by the fact that those comments are alone the reason why every single CTR thread turns out this way. Without those snarky comments, there would be no derailing.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

What mazi said, basically.

Why would anyone whine about multiplatform? What you'll get otherwise is a year of port-begging.

There was a not-uncommon notion that the original Crash trilogy belonged on PlayStation platforms due to their historical exclusivity. A former Naughty Dog veteran wasn't above that childish nonsense, either.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The agenda is so obvious
yep, i don't even know why it happens, it's not like it has to be the best game ever to be a good game. baiting console wars with statements like that is what shits up CTR threads, not people replying to questionable statements about how a kart racer from 1999 is much better than an entire series of games that have been evolving for 25 years. obviously taste is subjective and someone may actually think that, but when so many posts state that in such hyperbolic ways, it seems more like insecurity than a genuine opinion.

There was a not-uncommon notion that the original Crash trilogy belonged on PlayStation platforms due to their historical exclusivity. A former Naughty Dog veteran wasn't above that childish nonsense, either.
ugh, my eyes rolled out of my head reading that

Last edited:

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
CNK mainly suffered from it's roster. It had some great tracks, but who wants to play as Zam and Velo?

There was something authentic about the bosses which may have salvaged it, but of course they were all inexplicably locked down. I'd still like to play as Nash and listen to Billy West talk shit someday.

Oct 28, 2017
England
pc and switch versions of the spyro trilogy are pretty much guaranteed to come, we just don't know when. they even listed those platforms on the game's website before it was removed, and it was leaked by nintendo UK a while before that.

ifn9yman1d14.jpg

it just seems activision isn't good at multi-platform development and contracts a studio to do the switch/pc ports once the game is done (or maybe there's another reason). i hope CTR is day 1 on all platforms but i won't be surprised if it's ps4/xbo at launch and the pc/switch versions come later.

Thanks, that's great news to read! Hopefully the announcement will come soon!

But who knows, with N. Sane on PS4, then Reignited on PS4 and X-box - maybe Acti are slowly coming around to launching on all all at once? :p

Oct 27, 2017
CTR is fuckin' awesome...but it's also a 19 year old PS1 game, so I'm really hoping that they drop in a few brand new tracks (I'd love to see a tracks specifically based off Crash 2's Turtle Woods and Crash 3's Bone Yard), work in an extra boss race or two, and also add in Tawna Bandicoot, N. Brio, Koala Kong, Baby T( . rex), and a Lab Assistant as new playable characters.
I also hope that they change up the boss characters' static, simplistic intro/outro cutscenes and make them as beautiful and lively as the N. Sane Trilogy's cutscenes.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Never played the original but after everything I have heard from people I am still very excited.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Getting the physics and gameplay 1:1 with the original is vital.
I know N.Sane didn't, but aside from Crash 1, the other games felt fine aside from the ice physics being silly on Crash 2. This one needs to be perfect though.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how they'll be selling this. A retail disc at $20? Or will it be $40? Hmmmmm.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how they'll be selling this. A retail disc at $20? Or will it be $40? Hmmmmm.
people will easily pay 40 for this, with no added content.
it may seem expensive compared to crash and spyro trilogy where you get 3 games for $40, but i don't think it would stop many people from buying it.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite thing about this thread is ops avatar on the home page next to it. Bring on CTR :D

Facubsf

Apr 4, 2018
Oh My GOD

THE KING IS BACK. Please be real I don't need anything else. AND DON'T CHANGE THE GAMEPLAY, the turbo mechanic was so great, so versatile. As for me CTR is much much better than Mario Kart, even MK8D. The turbo in that game is horrible, while in Crash you can charge and cancel at anytime while braking and turning fast as hell.

I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.