• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There's that one particular interview (with Don Cheadle and Hemsworth) where she just has an inability to joke about herself and comes off as being humourless and sanctimonious. How is that sexist?
You mean this one where she tells a joke and everyone laughs because she's, you know, showing humor?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like Bieber, Kanye or Refn for similar reasons. I suppose that's also sexism?
You don't have to create fan fiction of Kanye being arrogant to hate him but you do for Brie Larson. You don't actually have issues with the real Brie Larson but you do with the one you guys have created in your minds just so you have something to hate.

Which is funny because you're the one who said:

Fucking mind blowing how thin-skinned some of you are.

And yet months later you're still pissed off about something you made up. How thin skinned do you have to be to get this upset over something that didn't even happen?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't create an account to troll, it's just that reading through this thread there are some people who will label anyone with differing views (even if they have no implication of racism/sexism etc) as a bigot.

This post for example:

There is nothing sexist about calling her arrogant or unlikable. I realise a lot sexist people will jump on that bandwagon, but there IS an arguement to be made of her being arrogant without sexist connotations. There's that one particular interview (with Don Cheadle and Hemsworth) where she just has an inability to joke about herself and comes off as being humourless and sanctimonious. How is that sexist?
There is everything sexist about it when a woman who calmly, rationally and reasonably makes her argument about fighting against misogyny and inequality in nerd culture is immediately branded as "arrogant" and "sanctimonious".

Heck, even if she was being more passionate about it, there's nothing arrogant about fighting misogynists like you with some fiery words.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I didn't create an account to troll, it's just that reading through this thread there are some people who will label anyone with differing views (even if they have no implication of racism/sexism etc) as a bigot.

This post for example:

There is nothing sexist about calling her arrogant or unlikable. I realise a lot sexist people will jump on that bandwagon, but there IS an arguement to be made of her being arrogant without sexist connotations. There's that one particular interview (with Don Cheadle and Hemsworth) where she just has an inability to joke about herself and comes off as being humourless and sanctimonious. How is that sexist?
Did you just watch The Body Language Expert's video on that interview?

It's pretty fucking clear that they're all joking around

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People have sadly seem to have forgotten this long paper trail of evidence of racism and sexism from this YouTube channel again. :(

Disheartening how quick some are to dismiss and try to explain away concrete evidence of racism and sexism as the OP had compiled so well.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
People have sadly seem to have forgotten this long paper trail of evidence of racism and sexism from this YouTube channel again. :(

Disheartening how quick some are to dismiss and try to explain away concrete evidence of racism and sexism as the OP had compiled so well.
Sad, but not surprising. Bump.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018

They havent forgotten. They dont care

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm still surprised they haven't been banned here.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the other thread, but I would recommend Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington's On Cinema for a somewhat similar parody review series about Hollywood commercialization, but with far more focused humor and with great people involved with it (for instance, Vic Berger of Super Deluxe presidential debate remixing fame /airhorn).

Oct 25, 2017

I wrote a long message to my closest irl friends about this issue, encouraging them to move on from this channel due to the views they have been shown to have. But that was months ago and they're right back to excitedly discussing whichever new trailer or movie they're shitting on and how funny it is that they're shitting on it.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RLM was good for its time but holy shit there's way better film channels out there.

Even Jenny Nicholson, who literally just talks from her bed, makes more insightful videos.

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the other thread, but I would recommend Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington's On Cinema for a somewhat similar parody review series about Hollywood commercialization, but with far more focused humor and with great people involved with it (for instance, Vic Berger of Super Deluxe presidential debate remixing fame /airhorn).

Ooooh thanks for the recommendation.

On topic though, I go back and forth on RLM. I think I give Plinkett videos a pass by default because it's a character who viewers are supposed to be disgusted by. I'm sure this view has been brought up in the past 26 pages though so if I shouldn't feel this way, let me know.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great recommendation. On Cinema is brilliant.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So weird that this bump happened less than an hour after they released another Star Wars episode.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is if you crave nerd comedy humor there are soooooo many options that you know, don't mock trans people.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Might wanna reconsider that considering Heidecker is an RLM fan and unironically thinks they should be shown in film school: https://youtu.be/GsRAg9W4P3A?t=1966
Tim appeared with them many years ago on an early Half in the Bag episode, so I'm sure he was aware of their early work but likely isn't aware of the less savory stuff since then. It's pretty clear to see that Tim is good people - check out his Too Dumb for Suicide album on the Trump administration or the recent What the Broken Hearted Do album which he created because 4chan's /pol/ tried to create a fake news gossip about him being cucked by his wife in response to him being a darn leftie. He made it a legitimately emotional breakup album even though he and his wife are in truth happily married of course, just flipped the script on the trolls.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TAJ their livestream where they said women who are marching for abortion rights need to "shut up and let Trump do his job" wasn't a Star Wars video you know.

The Captain Marvel thread about them had nothing to do with Star Wars.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
They make videos constantly, just not ones that upset Cheebo and you on such a personal level
original.gif

Oct 31, 2017
I have never understood why this witless shit is popular.

For whatever its worth, the following they have is pretty flimsy and fleeting.

Here's an example: when they were prepping for their Plinkett Force Awakens review, I had mentioned somewhere (wasn't GAF, maybe a comments section?) that I was curious how they'd go about it since the Plinkett guy actually liked TFA. And someone asked me what I meant, and I said in their Half in a Bag review, he said he liked it and it was everything he wanted. The guy told me he was being sarcastic, and I pointed out throughout that video where he genuinely liked the movie and the pros he talked about. This guy said something, and I'm paraphrasing, along the lines of, "I'm going to be very curious about their video because if that's the case, then I don't think they know what a good movie is anymore."

And it's like, these "edgy," "Oh man I'm so hard to impress," sites and channels thrive on hyperbole and shitting on things. The minute they might like something, people turn on them because it's not what their audience wants to hear. And it's poisonous to film criticism, but I guess because he knew what a shot/reverse shot was in his Episode 3 review, everyone thought he was some kind of scholar.