• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
They have terrible views that show up in their content all the time. They have been an easy pass for me for a few years now.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're a channel that's waaay past its expiry date in terms of its humor and the kind of content they delivered. How anyone still refers to them as a valid source of film criticism boggles my mind.

Oct 27, 2017
Rich is pretty bad and some of their takes on film discourse is out of touch, but I think this a bit mountain out of a molehill. I won't watch any of their in-theater movie reviews anymore since they're painfully out of touch. BOTW and re:View are pretty great. Jay is bae tho.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
You don't like the Plinket prequel reviews? I thought they were mindbendingly entertaining. Not endorsing all viewpoints expressed by them, of course.

I don't get this point of view. I loved jontron's reviews before he outed himself as a piece of shit. Why is redlettermedia treated as an exception?

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't watched their videos in years, but I don't love this idea of attempting to cancel them just because they aren't as far left progressive as some might want them to be. I don't think that Red Letter Media is a right wing institution. They rail against entitled fan boy culture just as much far more often than their quoted infringements upon leftist beliefs. If I remember correctly, their comments against Ghostbusters pertained more to that Paul Feige was using feminism as a defense against the poor response to his bad movie than it was that the Ghostbusters themselves were female. I'm sure they would have been fine with a gender switched ghostbusting team if the core film was good, but alas. Of course, anyone is entitled to dislike Red Letter Media and stop watching their content. I barely watch them myself nowadays. But to ask that we as a community collectively stop supporting Red Letter Media because of a few cherry picked examples culled from literally hundreds of videos feels like a step too far.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I still find a lot of their half in the bag reviews to be informative, and their taste in movies often align with mine. Their recommendations and annual roundups are great ways for me to find out about movies I may have missed. The Plinket Star Wars prequel reviews are absolute gold. Best of the Worst is dope as hell, too, along with their games side content.

I know they've said a bunch of suspect shit lately, especially as outlined in the OP, but they put out far more content that is devoid of such controversy (anything related to Marvel or Brie Larson obviously notwithstanding). They make up a ton of my admittedly limited YouTube time, and I would struggle to drop the channel. They need to be better, for sure. Mike tends to be the source of most of the objectionable moments on their channel; the other 4 hosts and co hosts are mostly fine.
Era beats its chest about how progressive they are but they are just as terrible on this front as everyone else.
Yawn I've seen variations of "Era isn't progressive because they still [INSERT VERY SPECIFIC, PERSONAL CRITERION HERE]" all over this forum
Can we stop with this tired ass take

Kitad

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
User Banned (1 week): excusing bigotry, ignoring OP
I'm going to be the dissenting opinion in this thread but I've never taken their cynicism as to mean racism or sexism, as much as their beef is with corporate exploting the zeitgeist to sell you more toys.

Like when Mike complains about disney paying lip service the idea of diversity but also refuse to give the directorial position in the 24 star wars productions to anyone but white dudes.

Or the Brie Larson thing, they mostly complained about how she is acting like a bastion of gender equality while just being a rich white actress from Hollywood who made a mediocre movie and nothing else. They also praised Daisy Ridley constantly when TFA came out and if they were sexists wouldn't they have joined the hate against her?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
What is crazy to me is their refusal to ever apologize or even acknowledge their hurtful and bigoted comments.

Rich Evans had the gal to tell feminists to let Donald fucking Trump "do his job".
Like I follow Giantbomb alot. Every once in a while, an older video pops up from as early as 10 years ago, and you hear something that comes off as like "yeesh, that joke doesn't play so well now." Thing is, they didn't just stay static, or worse, double down on the regressive shit. They atleast try to do better by people, including marginalized voices, in all these years since. And one time years back when Ryan Davis (who passed away in 2013) dropped a shitty slur on a stream, he went on the forums and directly apologized, not blaming the people "for being offended," but for him being an asshole in that moment and taking responsibility for it. Like... that's such a low fucking bar, but considering the cultural dumpster fire games are in, that's still an exception to how moments like that (repeatedly) play out with streamers and online personalities.

Whereas these guys, in the same span of time, in the face of the world we live in, just nestled in to being mediocre shitty white dudes who will act like anyone calling out their shit is just some over-sensitive crybaby.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched their videos in years, but I don't love this idea of attempting to cancel them just because they aren't as far left progressive as some might want them to be.
Watch the Rich Evans Twitch video. He isn't just "not left enough". He outright and angrily attacks and mocks feminists and the women's march on DC to support women rights. He insists they need to let Trump do his job.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Been watching RLM since 2011. Found the Plinkett reviews entertaining(edited versions), thought the analysis/skits on HitB to be insightful/funny, really enjoyed Botw and Re:view. In 2019 the only content I watch from them are certain episodes of BotW( when they watch non-narrative films its usually bad) and Re:View which I still thoroughly enjoy.

But oh boy whenever RLM( Mike or Rich) try analyze social issues do they ever show their ass. The most charitable reading is that they are a bunch of 40 something midwest white guys who don't know better but even then its still makes for terrible content.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched them in years, but didn't know they were trash until today. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

It'd be great if YouTube had an "ignore content by these creators" feature, as the film stuff I do watch sometimes throws up a RLM thumbnail. Never clicking on those again.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Watch the Rich Evans Twitch video. He isn't just "not left enough". He outright and angrily attacks and mocks feminists and the women's march on DC to support women rights. He insists they need to let Trump do his job.

I remember watching a "Pre Rec" where Jack was explaining to Rich why he was scared of Trump. Ie "my kids have classmates that have gay parents, and it's clear this guy is a monstrous bigot." and RIch just sort of shrugged it off.

Why is it so fucking hard to show empathy?

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched their videos in years, but I don't love this idea of attempting to cancel them just because they aren't as far left progressive as some might want them to be. I don't think that Red Letter Media is a right wing institution. They rail against entitled fan boy culture just as much far more often than their quoted infringements upon leftist beliefs. If I remember correctly, their comments against Ghostbusters pertained more to that Paul Feige was using feminism as a defense against the poor response to his bad movie than it was that the Ghostbusters themselves were female. I'm sure they would have been fine with a gender switched ghostbusting team if the core film was good, but alas. Of course, anyone is entitled to dislike Red Letter Media and stop watching their content. I barely watch them myself nowadays. But to ask that we as a community collectively stop supporting Red Letter Media because of a few cherry picked examples culled from literally hundreds of videos feels like a step too far.
Wow not being racist and sexist is being far left now! Good to know!

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Rich Evans is outwardly pretty pro-Trump when he isn't "on" so I wouldn't go that far.
Hmm, I guess I wouldn't know. My association with the people on that channel pretty much begins and ends with the content itself. Haven't seen any overt Trump stuff in 100s of hours of produced content. Does he pop off on Twitter or what?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
If you can watch that sexist angry pro-trump rant and still watch their videos after...I mean come on.
I didn't watch the rant and I don't plan to.

They don't mention trump or any shit like that in their best of the worst videos, so yes, I find those entertaining.

You don't, fair enough.

ldcommando

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive drive-by post; Long history of drive-by posting; Prior ban related to bigotry.
no

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch the rant and I don't plan to.

They don't mention trump or any shit like that in their best of the worst videos, so yes, I find those entertaining.

You don't, fair enough.
Someone provides evidence of Rich Evans being a sexist bigot away from RLM and you refuse to watch it so you can continue to generate ad revenue for him in willful ignorance?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Someone provides evidence of Rich Evans being a sexist bigot away from RLM and you refuse to watch it so you can continue to generate ad revenue for him in willful ignorance?
Rich Evan's being a shit heel doesnt make the BotW videos any less entertaining.

Just like Mel Gibson being a cunt didn't make Lethal Weapon suddenly bad.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Because it's funny to post gifs like this when it's relevant to the conversation!

giphy.gif

This gif did not age well.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
They are fine for the most part. Emperor Palpatine surgical reconstruction center video is very very funny.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
ERA keeps giving them a pass because they sure showed those prequels huh?

Pay no mind to the equally sexist TFA "review"

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Thanks OP! Would watch them on and off, but now it is a never from me! Fuck them! I will also spread the word to my friends.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): trolling in a sensitive thread, history of similar infractions
They're maliciously bigoted and sexist in the same way that Attack on Titan is anti-semitic

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Also what's with this push to ban discussion of every single thing that a portion of the site disagrees with? Just ignore threads about those things; it's not like the forum is totally riddled with RLM threads other than the community OT and the multiple threads we've had today to call them out.
I understand some serially problematic people getting silenced here, like Boogie, but I don't think RLM has nearly the problem/content ratio that Boogie does, given that they mostly talk innocuous shit about movies outside of the few instances in the OP.

More bigotry
Oct 26, 2017
You should add their shitty remarks from review of Godzilla. I will try to find the specific quote.

Found it.

Godzilla 2019, AKA King of the Monsters, which is sexist, cuz we don't know Godzilla's gender.

Godzilla's a male

Well, he could be gender fluid. No one can understand -roars-.....I guess (some monster name) kind of can. She never asks him if he's gender fluid. She just wanted to get him to calm the fuck down. But she didn't ask him his preference."

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Bigotry
Their Captain Marvel review was industrial strength cringe, but the OP is incredibly disingenuous. Either that or they're just copy/pasting links without watching the videos.
Like one of the tiny partial quotes is from a segment where they're talking about what they liked about the well-done attempts at multi-culturalism in Star Trek:TOS and TFA.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Also what's with this push to ban discussion of e every single thing that a portion of the site disagrees with? Just ignore threads about those things; it's not like the forum is totally riddled with RLM threads other than the community OT and the multiple threads we've had today to call them out.
I understand some serially problematic people getting silenced here, like Boogie, but I don't think RLM has nearly the problem/content ratio that Boogie does, given that they mostly talk innocuous shit about movies outside of the few instances in the OP.
I agree with the bolded. It's fairly common rhetoric on here, too.