• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Rich Evans is very ignorant at times but he has shown growth. I forgot the stream but one time Rich was criticizing the whole Apu documentary that was making waves online and how he didn't see the problem at all with the character. Jack was saying that there are very good points on why the character is a harmful portrayal and proceeds to say that they are in a privileged position.

In the next stream, Rich comes out and apologizes. He says he watched the documentary and understands how ignorant he was. I'm not defending his comments linked in OP and who knows if he retracted then but I am just saying he has shown understanding in the past.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, that is not at all what I said. I said their criticism of social topics are usually in the context of corporate coopting and the usual cynicism. Making a stupid helicopter gender joke has nothing to do with that.
So you're just ignoring the offensive jokes they tell, which is what the thread is about? I don't get it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
So I guess the world "almost" is no long a qualifier for "NOT EVERYTHING"

I'm not really talking about Rich Evans being an idiot, I don't really like him all that much either, but one of the core parts of the OP is about them talking about movies and social issues, and in a large portion of the stuff I've seen it's been in the context of basically coopting things for the sake of corporate gains.

Which again, isn't all encompassing of what they have said, just like how nothing is all encompassing, so when people keep quoting that one time they whined about Bree Larson I guess I can go talk about that one time they bitched about nobody seeing Annihilationin in the context of it being a smart science fiction movie with an all female leading cast that bombed in the box office.
Their whining about Brie Larson (which went on for like 20 minutes) boiled down to her voicing criticism about the limited range of voices in the press and critic sphere - a systemtic pattern which is all too normal in Hollywood. This is the thing that motivated them to spend 20 minutes ranting about her? And the best argument they could come up with was "look, here are isolated clips of people interviewing her that aren't white men," as if they found some kinda gotcha?

And throw in a clip of her being sarcastic in a video and they go on to call her a "nasty person" because of it. As if that totally didn't have an undercurrent of misogyny to it.

So, please tell me, what the fuck did any of this have to do with Captain Marvel to warrant being in this video?

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's funny to post gifs like this when it's relevant to the conversation!

giphy.gif
God, I wish I could ignore certain gifs on here. This one is so overused and 99% of the time it's purely for threadshitting lol

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, the creator of Rick and Morty supports jontron and his horrible nazi views. But one of the scenes of his show features Rick and Morty punching a nazi.

I would take this apparent progressiveness with a grain of salt.

Jay and Rich have both praised Bernie Sanders before. Jack has flat out said he hates Trump and said it was stupid saying RLM was "right-wing information". The only one who sounds vaguely conservative is Mike and comes off being center-right.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to watch their stuff a lot, but from 2-3 years back this shit just started getting worse and worse until i mostly dropped them.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These shit heels have never been funny or entertaining but have always been diet racists sexist clowns. Glad people are calling them for their shit

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I was a big fan for a few years, but I started dropping off due to a mix of them getting increasingly uncomfortable with their content and them leaning into becoming sincere examples of the kind of dipshits they used to mock. Them seemingly taking the mere existence of Ghostbusters 2016 was the wakeup call for me to bounce entirely.

There's some redeeming things about their old stuff, but even their prequel reviews have worn a little thin since people treat them as if they are the final word on those movies now, and there's still a toooooon of stuff they never really got into due to the nature of how they handled those reviews that ultimately gets left alone because it feels like people just want to point at the Plinkett videos and leave it at that.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already kinda disliked them for the utter overuse of that "endless trash" GIF. Yes, IT and WW sure were trash in the end weren't they?! Never felt like they had something meaningful to say.

Now I know, they have NOTHING meaningful to say. Typical bullshit. Fuck 'em!

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Old news tbh. Kind of surprised there's still such a fervent debate about it, but I suppose I shouldn't be. Parasocial relationships are cray. I was a fan once too; fuck, I own a HITB t-shirt, but for every great point RLM have made they've made a pretty bad one now.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I never really watched them but I did see an episode about Ghostbusters, and I was like damn they're being harsh. Then I saw the film and it was horrible. I would need to rewatch it to see how misogynistic it was. I just recall them saying the film was garbage. And this was at a time when everyone was saying how great the film was, so it stuck out to me. They were right. It is an awful awful movie. But again, I would need to rewatch to see how offensive it was and I don't condone that.
I don't think anyone in this thread is saying " if a movie is made by/features women or minorities RLM has to review it well." Its just they decided to delve into all the controversy surrounding the movie and essentially said the sexism/racism was made up by sony/journalist to get clicks and young women don't care about representation in media.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah... I only watch their Star Wars content. So a lot of this stuff was missed by me. Rich looks stoned AF, too. Christ, I hope he's stoned lol.

Rich doesn't drink or do drugs. He pretends to sometimes on camera.
Rich's parents were crackheads, though.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (3 days): drive-by posting, site generalizations
I swear this forum sometimes, got a reason to hate almost everything.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I don't think playing a cranky racist character means you are racist, so the Plinkett stuff is pretty irrelevant. The Plinkett writing will take any excuse to make lazy jokes that are designed to be offensive but it seems like the joke is really on the character, who is portrayed as a creepy, lonely, dying, slothful, failure of a person.

The Ghostbusters 2016 discourse was in fact very toxic and overheated and hostile towards people who just say they didn't like the film, and at the risk of catching heat myself, I actually agree with their complaint. Let's not pretend that Hollywood is above playing up having an all-female cast and trying to use that simple fact to deflect criticism. Hell, I know I would at least TRY to if someone came after a very expensive thing I made that starred all women. "You don't like it because you're sexist" would probably be the first thing I said. It's an easy win because it puts the critics on notice that negative talk about your property is going to be put into a box that's going to be hard to get out of. This is not to deny that sexist comments did exist, but actually if you watch the video, a good chunk of time is spent trying to analyze how much of that commentary actually existed and what impact it had vs. the well-circulated PR statements crowing about how the film was under attack.

That leaves Rich's rant, in which he calls Trump an "ex reality star orangutan" and says he didn't understand the point of the women's March that occurred before Trump took office. It's very out of touch. I marched in it myself. The world wanted to let Trump know we will resist his attempts to subjugate women, and we will not forget his indiscretions towards women. Rich think that was premature at the time as he wasn't in office yet. I can imagine thinking that way if you're breezily watching all this with no skin in the game, but I don't myself. Still, he's allowed to be wrong so long as he doesn't actually support Trump's sexist and racist policies and statements, and I don't think he does.

So, no, it's not time to cancel them. It's the same time it always was, which means it's time to either take or leave RLM's content according to whether it has any use for you, whether edgy jokes do it for you, and whether you find value in content created by un-woke, out of touch, but probably harmless middle aged white guys.

I don't. (Except when they are shitting on Star Wars. Because there hasn't been a good Star Wars movie in 39 years.) But I'm not going to come for anyone who does.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Jay and Rich have both praised Bernie Sanders before. Jack has flat out said he hates Trump and said it was stupid saying RLM was "right-wing information". The only one who sounds vaguely conservative is Mike and comes off being a bit center-right.
I think at best it's useless, at worst it's harmful. Why are people protesting.. what are people protesting? When you look at this from the outside, it looks like people are just whining because Trump won and people don't like Trump. It looks very childish. It comes off looking like crybabies having a fit because their person didn't win the election. He fairly won the election. It comes off exactly as childish as when Obama won.. "I wanna see that birth certificate!". I think if you're on the left side of things, you should be looking on the inside right now. This crying about Trump.. once he starts actually doing something stupid in office, then you can drag out the protest signs and protest whatever thing he did you don't like. Right now it just seems childish. Instead of bitching about Trump, the left needs to take a look at itself. Hillary Clinton could not beat a ex reality star orangutan. There's a reason for that. The democratic side of things needs to get its own shit in order. The people you need to win over to get on your side are seeing crybabies. I would not make yourself look bad. And choose your million women marches more clearly and have a clear message about what you're speaking out against. Because this looks like nothing other than "wah we lost the election". Currently it's a reaction to nothing that has happened yet. The march isn't going to keep him from taking office. To me it seems like preaching to the choir and I don't think it's going to do anything useful. There are a lot of people who if they were saner would be on the fence, but they're going to pick an extreme because that's what everybody fucking does now. And you see something like this protest, and that's.. "god look at those crybabies".. I'm with Trump!
From Rich (video in OP)

That doesn't sound at least vaguely conservative or center-right..?

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Jay and Rich have both praised Bernie Sanders before. Jack has flat out said he hates Trump and said it was stupid saying RLM was "right-wing information". The only one who sounds vaguely conservative is Mike and comes off being a bit center-right.
The line of morality and values don't end at which presidential candidates you support, though. I think the argument against RLM isn't whether they're "alt-right" or not. That's the most basic litmus test.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've given them alot of passes because they influenced my sense of humor and I love....d their personalities. But it keeps getting harder to turn on a video from them these days

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think anyone in this thread is saying " if a movie is made by/features women or minorities RLM has to review it well." Its just they decided to delve into all the controversy surrounding the movie and essentially said the sexism/racism was made up by sony/journalist to get clicks and young women don't care about representation in media.
Again, I need to rewatch it.

What I will say is that it seems to me that people are more willing to now say Ghostbusters was a bad film. When the film released it seemed you couldn't say anything bad about it. And I know some of the reviewers that gave it negative reviews were targeted as misogynistic, etc.

But I don't agree that this was a manufactured controversy by Sony. That's laughable.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
nope, it's already working, exactly the way they teach it, just did with how to basic, as an example:
qfxkXx5.jpg
c9L0Cwq.jpg
Ah, I get it. I was trying to block a channel/video outright, but the way they've set it up, I'll have to act when/if a recommended video I don't care for pops up.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of backflips some of y'all are doing so you don't have to admit that a bunch of white dudes are racist is truly astonishing.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
From Rich (video in OP)

Maybe he's a centrist. I don't know the guy. He has also gone on a joking rant about how annoying wheelchair impaired people are and they're a pest on society then yells "Vote Trump!" after it. In which Jack replies "Out of everything you just said I think "vote trump" was the worst" and they both laugh. For every right-wing comment you can find an equal amount of left-wing/progressive stuff.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the people who come in this thread to say stuff like "they're terrible, they didn't like batman v superman" are too much for me lmao

they're definitely bitter old boomers. they're not like scheming neo nazi's like Ben Shapiro or anything, they're just fragile old ignorant white dudes that watch South Park and think they're clever. I think it's definitely getting worse though, as evidenced by the captain marvel video. it ultimately doesn't matter though when you fill your videos with shit like rich's Chinese bs and it actually undermines a lot of their videos now because they've been sucked into the anti-feminism black hole. it's probably only gonna get worse as they get older and more out of touch, and their audience becomes more alt right dudes whining about the last jedi

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
From Rich (video in OP)

there doesn't appear to be any ideological leaning in it, you could reverse the parties and it would be the same exact statement

perhaps im missing something

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Maybe he's a centrist. I don't know the guy. He has also gone on a joking rant about how annoying wheelchair impaired people are and they're a pest on society then yells "Vote Trump!" after it. In which Jack replies "Out of everything you just said I think "vote trump" was the worst" and they both laugh. For every right-wing comment you can find an equal amount of left-wing/progressive stuff.
Nah. This is bullshit, unless you have receipts. And he's not joking in the video in the OP, he's ranting.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, I feel like there must be at least, like ten channels where people talk about movies and aren't bigots.
I for one think that 30+ year old jaded cynical white men are in short supply when it comes to film "critique" on youtube. Especially the part where everything new and popular just like totally sucks and film critique is at a C grade freshman film college student level at best.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I get it. I was trying to block a channel/video outright, but the way they've set it up, I'll have to act when/if a recommended video I don't care for pops up.

Thanks for pointing that out!
thankful for helping. that said, i needed to do it 2 times for it to stick, dunno why. it disappeared from the recommended stuff, but still apeared on autoplay. did it again, and it's was gone on both.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're right, and I stand corrected.

I'll be sure to thoroughly research and dissect the socio-political opinions of every director, musician, comedian, photographer and painter before forming an opinion on their work from here on out.

(I seriously dont even watch RLM)
Well, you should definitely do your research on someone before defending them, that's for sure.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
there doesn't appear any ideological leaning in it, you could reverse the parties and it would be the same exact statement

perhaps im missing something
Calling the millions of women and protesters babies because they're just upset Trump won doesn't have an ideological leaning to it? Lol...

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
I recall watching some of their videos in which they point out racism and sexism in films.

And Plinkett is a character that is meant to be racist, misogynistic, and a serial killer that is more than 100 years old.

I am disappointed that Rich Evans might be a Trump supporter. That's a real bummer.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I find their Best of the Worst stuff genuinely entertaining because of all the crazy weird shit they have on tape and what an endurance it must be to sit through some of it.

I've never watched their reviews of "real" movies and really paid that much attention. I just don't care that much about what they have to say and I guess that's why I missed some of the problematic shit they've said

Hmm.

edit: and yeah, far as I know the Plinkett character is supposed to be a disgusting creepo who says a lot of gross shit. You can argue that doesn't let them off the hook if you want, and I won't argue, but I'm pretty sure it's at least established as a thing.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From Rich (video in OP)

This is classic white man shit. It's the "civility" argument all over again, remember how many allegedly left leaning people said it was time to "give Trump a chance" when he was elected? How many "democrats should run to the right and not talk about minorities because it upsets white people and makes them vote for Trump" articles? In Rich's case it's a side of South Park moderate syndrome imo

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is classic white man shit. It's the "civility" argument all over again, remember how many allegedly left leaning people said it was time to "give Trump a chance" when he was elected? How many "democrats should run to the right and not talk about minorities because it upsets white people and makes them vote for Trump" articles? In Rich's case it's a side of South Park moderate syndrome imo
The rhetoric that liberals and women are crybabies because Trump won only comes from one side.