• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
They have their issues but taking a Plinkett video at face value... come on

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I stopped watching them after their fuckboy takes on The Force Awakens and Ghostbusters. I don't need their smirking anti-progressive garbage soiling the stuff that brings me joy.

I definitely don't need to hear why Star Wars sucks now actually, and hurr hurr Captain Marvel, look how she's played by an unlikable woman.

The unfunny reactionary writing brings down the latest Plinkett Star Wars reviews.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
And Plinkett is a character that is meant to be racist, misogynistic, and a serial killer that is more than 100 years old.
The problem there is that the line between Plinkett the character and cast themselves has become increasingly blurred as they continue to lean into the things that resonates most with their audience. Obviously they aren't out there torturing sex workers and cooking cats in microwaves, but the shitty things that Plinkett used to say ironically eventually became the things that the crew said ironically, and that is slowly starting to become things they are saying unironically.

Killsational

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
USA
User Banned (permanent): drive-by posting and dismissing concerns over bigotry; prior severe ban for defending racism; account in junior phase
No. I will keep watching and enjoying their videos.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Whole lot of posts in here read like "how dare you criticize me for putting money in assholes' pockets?'

Oct 28, 2017
You know what, I enjoy a lot of music from black metal bands with horrible views. You know what I don't do though? Go into a thread showcasing their problems and then trying to justify listening to them. Or at least I hope I haven't done something like that.

Yeah... but like, have you ever watched The Patriot?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what he said. He's bashing women/protesters and defending Trump. That's not centrism. He took Trump's side.
No he didn't. It's the classic "stop being children and give Trump a chance, by protesting before he does anything bad you seem childish" along with "by attacking Trump and his supporters unfairly you are radicalizing them" bs, just like I said. Obviously both statements are complete bs for a ton of reasons but they were everywhere in late 2016/early 2017 from all sides including ""leftists""" who voted for Donald the Dove over Warhawk Killary Clinton.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
No he didn't. It's the classic "stop being children and give Trump a chance, by protesting before he does anything bad you seem childish" along with "by attacking Trump and his supporters unfairly you are radicalizing them" bs, just like I said. Obviously both statements are complete bs for a ton of reasons but they were everywhere in last 2016/early 2017 from all sides including ""leftists""" who voted for Donald the Dove over Warhawk Killary Clinton.
Hey maybe those people aren't actually progressive leftists. Just a thought.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No he didn't. It's the classic "stop being children and give Trump a chance, by protesting before he does anything bad you seem childish" along with "by attacking Trump and his supporters unfairly you are radicalizing them" bs, just like I said. Obviously both statements are complete bs for a ton of reasons but they were everywhere in last 2016/early 2017 from all sides including ""leftists""" who voted for Donald the Dove over Warhawk Killary Clinton.
i think this is where theres a disconnect, at no point in that quote do i feel him defending trump
Yes he did side with Trump:

"And you see something like this protest, and that's.. "god look at those crybabies".. I'm with Trump!"

From the OP. This isn't both sides shit, its straight Fox News garbage.

Prince Abubu

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
United States
It's less taking it at face value as it is taking it in context.

The defense claiming that "all the bad stuff this character does is just that...a character" starts to fall apart when the real people behind the character are out there expressing anti-progressive viewpoints. At that point, it starts to look like they just want to make racist and sexist jokes, and hiding behind a "joke character" is a way to get away with it and deflect criticism.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's a well known fact that Hillary "Mad Dog" Clinton personally killed five dozen Americans in Benghazi with sniper rounds. Not with a rifle. I mean she actually pushed the individual bullets into people's ear canals and soft palates with her bare hands. It's all documented, believe me.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

"And you see something like this protest, and that's.. "god look at those crybabies".. I'm with Trump!"

you think the "im with trump" in the sentence is rich evans saying hes with trump?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Okay so just to be clear... this is a transcription of a video conversation. Not the way it was actually formatted right? Because it's formatted to make it seem like the "I'm with Trump" is its own thing when it should clearly be

"And you see something like this protest and that's, 'God look at these crybabies, I'm with trump'".

It's the "if you call white people racist they become racists so Dems should drop identity policies and run to the right" bs I was talking about. If that's not a format choice of the OP and I'm wrong I apologize.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not going to because I don't have the time and (again) I don't want to come across like I'm defending their racism/sexism by going "See they aren't so bad." I was more curious on your opinion.
My opinion is I've seen a lot of their videos and never seen anything that comes across as seriously progressive. And I've yet to see any evidence of it.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
The Ghostbusters 2016 discourse was in fact very toxic and overheated and hostile towards people who just say they didn't like the film, and at the risk of catching heat myself, I actually agree with their complaint. Let's not pretend that Hollywood is above playing up having an all-female cast and trying to use that simple fact to deflect criticism. Hell, I know I would at least TRY to if someone came after a very expensive thing I made that starred all women. "You don't like it because you're sexist" would probably be the first thing I said. It's an easy win because it puts the critics on notice that negative talk about your property is going to be put into a box that's going to be hard to get out of. This is not to deny that sexist comments did exist, but actually if you watch the video, a good chunk of time is spent trying to analyze how much of that commentary actually existed and what impact it had vs. the well-circulated PR statements crowing about how the film was under attack.

Re-watching their Ghostbusters 2016 Science Man analysis and its amazing how poorly its aged. Essentially saying that racism/sexism is fake news/ statically insignificant 4 months before the 2016 elections is kind of incredible. Buts its a criticism they use whenever a diverse movie comes out. " X group of people don't need representation. Stop pandering they already have historical figures/their parents."

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Their whining about Brie Larson (which went on for like 20 minutes) boiled down to her voicing criticism about the limited range of voices in the press and critic sphere - a systemtic pattern which is all too normal in Hollywood. This is the thing that motivated them to spend 20 minutes ranting about her? And the best argument they could come up with was "look, here are isolated clips of people interviewing her that aren't white men," as if they found some kinda gotcha?

And throw in a clip of her being sarcastic in a video and they go on to call her a "nasty person" because of it. As if that totally didn't have an undercurrent of misogyny to it.

So, please tell me, what the fuck did any of this have to do with Captain Marvel to warrant being in this video?

Even that Captain Marvel movie intro is in the context of Disney using the drama to push tickets and create narratives for their product. Now I don't have 35 minutes to go rewatch a video I saw months ago, so I'm watching the intro and skipping around, but the intro in typical centrist fashion complained about everyone. Not really understanding "white male fragility" when in the intro of the video they literally shit on RMA neck beards protesting the movie.

And funny enough, their impression of Captain Marvel and the "snarky" stuff is my impression of the character/performance from Endgame which made me really not like her character, so that's hardly an isolated feeling.

I'm re-watching the clip as I write this, this is hardly a "white male fragility" video. The stupid shit surrounding the movie was a huge topic, so they talked about it. Her example of "I don't need your opinion on X movie because you're a 40 year old white dude" is kinda stupid, even if I completely agree with the need for more diverse voices in media, especially in the realm of critics for film and TV.

Ok so ignore that part above, I just watched 20 minutes of people talking about Captain Marvel drama, again. Yay. As for why they talked about it? Well probably because the internet drama around the movie was huge during the lead up to it? Not the first time they talk about the outside context of films they review.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Re-watching their Ghostbusters 2016 Science Man analysis and its amazing how poorly its aged. Essentially saying that racism/sexism is fake news/ statically insignificant 4 months before the 2016 elections is kind of incredible. Buts its a critism they use whenever a diverse movie comes out. " X group of people don't need representation. Stop pandering they already have historical figures/their parents."
Some people seriously thought that have a black man in the White House somehow meant that racism didn't exist anymore.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
you think the "im with trump" in the sentence is rich evans saying hes with trump?
Okay so just to be clear... this is a transcription of a video conversation. Not the way it was actually formatted right? Because it's formatted to make it seem like the "I'm with Trump" is its own thing when it should clearly be

"And you see something like this protest and that's, 'God look at these crybabies, I'm with trump'".

It's the "if you call white people racist they become racists so Dems should drop identity policies and run to the right" bs I was talking about. If that's not a format choice of the OP and I'm wrong I apologize.
Ok, I may have misunderstood what he was saying in that particular sentence. But that doesn't change the fact that he was clearly criticizing protesters and refusing to acknowledge anything that could possibly justify their anger or decision to protest. His rhetoric is clearly a defense of Trump, even if indirect. He doesn't criticize him, only the protesters.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I may have misunderstood what he was saying in that particular sentence. But that doesn't change the fact that he was clearly criticizing protesters and refusing to acknowledge anything that could possibly justify their anger or decision to protest.
100% agreed, early 2017 was insufferable. But like I don't suddenly wonder if Rich has a collection of MAGA hats when I read that you know? He's still a racist tho

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
100% agreed, early 2017 was insufferable. But like I don't suddenly wonder if Rich has a collection of MAGA hats when I read that you know? He's still a racist tho
If he's equally criticizing the left and the right, he didn't do it in the video posted in the OP. He very clearly bashed protesters and said nothing bad about Trump. He also said "protest when he's done something wrong", heavily implying that there's no issues with what he had done up until that point.

Nov 1, 2017
They're very funny and informative for the most part. As someone who has watched a lot of their episodes... the more questionable jokes are few and far between and even then they are more crudely tongue in cheek than from of real malice towards other people. Besides black comedy has always made up a smaller part of their schtick.

Apr 14, 2018
Ok, I may have misunderstood what he was saying in that particular sentence. But that doesn't change the fact that he was clearly criticizing protesters and refusing to acknowledge anything that could possibly justify their anger or decision to protest. His rhetoric is clearly a defense of Trump, even if indirect. He doesn't criticize him, only the protesters.

He refers to Trump as an "ex reality star orangutan," while calling Hilary Clinton... Hilary Clinton.

Still think he favors trump?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he's equally criticizing the left and the right, he didn't do it in the video posted in the OP. He very clearly bashed protesters and said nothing bad about Trump. He also said "protest when he's done something wrong", heavily implying that there's no issues with what he had done up until that point.
This was a very common thing. People were tripping over their civility erections to shout from the mountains about how we should "give [the grab em by the pussy guy] a chance". It was not exclusive to right wing circles.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When they dismissed lack of distributor interest in Red Tails solely because it wasn't a great movie is when I grew suspect of them

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? But they've always made fun of the personalities beneath the films. Did you not see the Plinkett reviews and how much they tear into George's psyche? Same thing with TLJ. Rian Johnson was almost the star of that review. They also shitted on both Bill Murray and Paul Fieg on the Ghostbusters review.
I don't know if you thought this was supposed to be a rebuke of what I wrote, but you really just quadrupled down on why I think these guys are obnoxious assholes who have poisoned online film discourse, lol

In any event, spending up to 20 minutes of what is ostensibly a movie review haranguing the film's female for having the absolute gall to suggest that film criticism could stand to incorporate more perspectives that aren't all white men is hardly "making fun of the personality beneath the film." It's got nothing to do with the film itself (note that, unlike Lucas or Johnson or Feig, Brie Larson did not actually make the film in question herself) and the reasons why are plainly obvious.

Last edited:

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I thought people stopped stanning for them back when that Force Awakens Plinkett Review came out.
Either way, never been a fan personally but I know a few people who love their content. Just never saw the appeal here...

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This was a very common thing. People were tripping over their civility erections to shout from the mountains about how we should "give [the grab em by the pussy guy] a chance". It was not exclusive to right wing circles.
Centrism implies both sides. There was no other side in Rich's rant, it was simply bashing protesters and defending Trump. He said Trump hadn't done anything wrong.