• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
RLM needs to go the way of Grace Randolph in regards to its presence on Era

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think RLM is right wing, but they are definitely not progressive either. For example, I do think they are downplaying the misogyny that happened in the reactions to Ghostbusters 3, but they did make some good points that it was likely exacerbated by Sony as they were looking for a way to help market the film since most did not consider it to be very good.

Similarly, in the Star Wars, I do agree they downplay the importance of diversity, but also point out that Disney/Lucasfilm is kind of full of shit, and only pushing diversity because they think it helps market the movie better. They do this by openly questioning why every single director has been white males despite them constantly harping on diversity.

I don't know how anyone can defend Rich Evans though.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Re-watching their Ghostbusters 2016 Science Man analysis and its amazing how poorly its aged. Essentially saying that racism/sexism is fake news/ statically insignificant 4 months before the 2016 elections is kind of incredible. Buts its a criticism they use whenever a diverse movie comes out. " X group of people don't need representation. Stop pandering they already have historical figures/their parents."
I'll have to watch it again, but in recalling the content that video, I don't think I can agree that the point was that "sexism is fake news," much less racism which they don't even mention. It's been awhile since I watched anything of theirs, but I would also be deeply surprised if they said "x group doesn't need representation," in fact I've heard them say diversity is a good thing, praise Daisy Ridley, mock man babies. Got a clip?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
centrism implies both sides. There was no other side in Rich's rant, it was simply bashing protesters and defending Trump. He said Trump hadn't done anything wrong.
To be honest the only reason I'm sort of defending Rich here is that I'm still so annoyed about how many white dudes of multiple political affiliations said shit just like that around that time, and I don't want it to be dismissed as a right wing thing when it was a white man thing.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever agree to any idea that "You should not be allowed to talk about X or Y on this forum". If the mods decide that I'll follow the rules, but I personally think its insane to say certain ideas or people are to never be discussed. If the people are unpopular then discussion will just die naturally.

To me it just exposes the weakness of some peoples beliefs, when they are angry that something they dislike is not hated by everyone else and they feel their only recourse is to ban all discussion of that idea or topic.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
To be honest the only reason I'm sort of defending Rich here is that I'm still so annoyed about how many white dudes of multiple political affiliations said shit just like that around that time, and I don't want it to be dismissed as a right wing thing when it was a white man thing.
Just pointing out that this is not actual centrism, just right wing bullshit.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
How people didn't realize this with the creepy rape subplot in the prequel reviews is astounding. They should be a banned source from here tbh.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever agree to any idea that "You should not be allowed to talk about X or Y on this forum". If the mods decide that I'll follow the rules, but I personally think its insane to say certain ideas or people are to never be discussed. If the people are unpopular then discussion will just die naturally.

To me it just exposes the weakness of some peoples beliefs, when they are angry that something they dislike is not hated by everyone else and they feel their only recourse is to ban all discussion of that idea or topic.
I agree with you.

Sep 3, 2018
Buts its a criticism they use whenever a diverse movie comes out. " X group of people don't need representation. Stop pandering they already have historical figures/their parents."
Yeah, this is something they do fairly consistently and they never take five sections to realize minorities might want popcorn heroes too. TFA review was the first time I noticed it and it just continued in that vein whenever they could mention it in similar videos even when it had very little to do with the movie itself.

They'll occasionally pay lip-service, but it's pretty clear they stand on the side of "Don't draw a huge amount of attention to the fact that you're X".

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I give loads of people a pass for having shitty views if they show a willingness over time to better themselves, cos at some point I believe everyone was probably a worse version of themselves than they are now, but the stuff in the op shows a bit of a trend and it's not in the right direction.

Guess I'm done with ever clicking s rlm link.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the people who come in this thread to say stuff like "they're terrible, they didn't like batman v superman" are too much for me lmao

they're definitely bitter old boomers. they're not like scheming neo nazi's like Ben Shapiro or anything, they're just fragile old ignorant white dudes that watch South Park and think they're clever. I think it's definitely getting worse though, as evidenced by the captain marvel video. it ultimately doesn't matter though when you fill your videos with shit like rich's Chinese bs and it actually undermines a lot of their videos now because they've been sucked into the anti-feminism black hole. it's probably only gonna get worse as they get older and more out of touch, and their audience becomes more alt right dudes whining about the last jedi

Is there a new definition for "boomers" that I'm not aware of? The youngest baby boomers are 55 years old. I don't think any of the RLM people are even 40

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're a bunch of slobs. What did it for me is when one of them tried to imitate some other language and it just came across as so racist but they all laughed.

I don't like people like that.

Oct 28, 2017
Centrism implies both sides. There was no other side in Rich's rant, it was simply bashing protesters and defending Trump. He said Trump hadn't done anything wrong.

I'm not endorsing his viewpoint, but this was immediately after the election. Have you just forgotten that everybody and their mother was tripping over themselves to argue that 'checks and balances' would keep Trump from fucking anything up too badly and that the Dems should take a close look at how they lost the election? That was pretty much ground zero for moderate rhetoric in 2016.

You don't have to like RLM, but it's disingenuous to suggest that they're a bastion of Trump supporters. They're cynics. That's their schtick. They step over the line on occasion and, frankly, have been doing it more often than usual lately.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's not a centrism thing imo it's a civility/white man thing. Political ideology doesn't play into it as much because like I said it wasn't relagated to one polical side.
I'm not endorsing his viewpoint, but this was immediately after the election. Have you just forgotten that everybody and their mother was tripping over themselves to argue that 'checks and balances' would keep Trump from fucking anything up too badly and that the Dems should take a close look at how they lost the election? That was prety much ground zero for moderate rhetoric in 2016.

You don't have to like RLM, but it's disingenuous to suggest that they're a bastion of Trump supporters. They're cynics. That's their schtick. They step over the line on occasion and, frankly, have been doing it more often than usual lately.
I'm not saying they're all Trumpers. I'm saying Rich's rhetoric is bashing one side and defending the other. That's not centrism.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Theres also an episode of Half in the Bag where Rich says "vote Trump!" before making an exit. At the time he was playing a character but in light of him actually being a pro Trump guy...

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how centrism came into the conversation and I don't think the definition of it isn't particularly important to this discussion.

What's the goal of the thread? legit question. Because I don't like this side of RLM but I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as people de-platformed by the site.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns surrounding transphobia; Prior severe bans related to bigotry.
The problem there is that the line between Plinkett the character and cast themselves has become increasingly blurred as they continue to lean into the things that resonates most with their audience. Obviously they aren't out there torturing sex workers and cooking cats in microwaves, but the shitty things that Plinkett used to say ironically eventually became the things that the crew said ironically, and that is slowly starting to become things they are saying unironically.

I watch Half in the Bag regularly and I haven't caught much of that except for the Godzilla gender joke.

And that joke is not bad enough to not watch these people again.

They've reviewed the film Pink Flamingos and have been very respectful of the transgender character in that film.

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the Plinkett PT review I don't understand how these guys got popular. Their reviews lick asscrack. There is no nuanced movie discussion - they just bitch endlessly. I never got their popularity here or on GAF.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a new definition for "boomers" that I'm not aware of? The youngest baby boomers are 55 years old. I don't think any of the RLM people are even 40
It's also a poor comparison point, because they more closely align with the nihilistic slacker "fuck you if you care about something" tones of Gen-X more than anything else.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Rich really rubbed me the wrong way when they were still doing their Twitch streams. Seemed like a man whose response to anything unfamiliar was hostility and resentment.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): dismissive drive-by
They've said some dumb shit but you're acting like they're FOX news or something. They're not trying to force feed an agenda. They're schtick is cynical pretentious assholes and for the most part it works.

Sooner or later this place will have nothing to talk about with all these bans.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

There's a difference between "topic is not to be discussed" vs. refusing to promote and provide a platform for some assholes who we can afford to ignore.

It's not like posters who mentioned the name 'Grace Randolph' are being dragged away, but we sure as hell don't need to promote her content, let alone harbor a dedicated community for her.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's a difference between "topic is not to be discussed" vs. refusing to promote and provide a platform for some assholes who we can afford to ignore.

It's not like posters who mentioned the name 'Grace Randolph' are being dragged away, but we sure as hell don't need to promote her content, let alone harbor a dedicated community for her.
There's literally people in this thread demanding that RLM be banned from being discussed here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
this thread is generating a lot of reports so we're just giving it a quick lock to work through them

Discussion Guidelines

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Thread reopened. Please note the following:
  1. While it is correct to note that Plinkett is a satirical character, it is not difficult to tell what messages Plinkett videos are trying to sincerely convey. As noted in the OP, some of these messages are problematic and should not be handwaved just because Plinkett is a character.
  2. It is possible to enjoy something while also recognizing that it has problematic elements. Do not defend those problematic elements just because you enjoy the content.
  3. Do not attack members simply for consuming or enjoying Red Letter Media content.
  4. There will not be a blanket ban on Red Letter Media content.
  5. As always be civil and constructive with your fellow members.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Is this about the endless trash meme?
Those movies weren't out yet when they did that.
EVERYONE thought that IT 2017 was going to be awful at one point.
Wonder Woman was coming off of BvS.
The previous attempt at a Power Rangers movie was a massive failure.

Oh, and they ended up liking all three of those movies.

So they were needlessly cynical in a pre emptive fashion that resulted in a useless meme that has replaced discourse with a gif that isn't accurate.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's just been addressed by JayC3. But i wanted to post this before the lock. So i need to get it off my chest. (If nobody minds)

I want to make it crystal clear, that i'm not a free-speech absolutist. But I don't believe RLM (or any other topic) should be banned on this site.
4. There will not be a blanket ban on Red Letter Media content.
Good.

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (permanent): Dismissive to bigotry and history of similar infractions
They're not particularly partisan so I don't care very much

None of the things they say really hew towards a framework of belief that is axiomatically right wing or bigoted

Last edited: