• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

darksteel6

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
If only cheats existed today the way they used to, most of that stuff has been watered down and relegated to paid boosters/microtransactions. This really is part of the problem, developers used to include (or would forget to remove) semi-official means to make games as easy or as hard as you wanted, but a lot of it has been stripped bare, or left to modders to try and find a way to implement.

It's no longer as simple as just typing in a word or hitting a combination on your controller.

And while figuring out things like cheatengine isn't super obtuse nowadays, that still leaves console players with few if no options.
Yeah just last week I was playing 24 the Game on PS2 and when there was one particularly hard level I wanted to replay so I could get a better rating, I just said "Screw it" and put in the invincibility cheat and felt zero guilt doing so(I also did that for the last couple of levels in Marc Ecko's Getting Up as at that point my hands were getting tired from constantly fighting enemies that took seemingly forever to go down). I couldn't help but wish more games today had codes like that(One of the only sixth-gen games that had actual cheat codes was one of the Ghost Recon games on 360) but I guess publishers would rather sell you that stuff for actual money(Dead Rising 2 famously charged you for things like Big Head Mode).

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Was expecting and hoping to see Jim take part in the discussion and call out some of the silliest recurring arguments. Nice video, but Duke Amiel H'ardcore was underutilized.

Last edited:

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
The game has a bell you can ring that buffs enemies, and in NG+ you can choose to debuff yourself in combat a little by losing a certain item.

Why not have another bell, equally well hidden but perhaps before any main bosses, that debuffs enemies and/or an object that buffs the player

They can make an easy mode that still fits in their design style and lore, honestly
They could also have offline NPCs you could summon to help you in battle, like they have for the first time you battle the Drunk mini-boss. Or place enemies that you can puppet master to help you with the harder bosses - instead of just a mini-boss or two. For example in the very last boss, they could have you battle the first phase, and puppetmaster him to help with the remaining 3 phases. It would make total sense, and actually be a super cool design decision.

darksteel6

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
LOL it ain't rocket science. Hell, I'm 43 and I beat the game 5 times already and am doing a no-res run right now, and my favorite category of games is 'Flight Sims.' If I can do it, anyone can. Just stick at it.
False, people with actual physical disabilities can't, you shouldn't arrogantly assume that everyone else is exactly like you.

Oct 27, 2017
Other than by choice of the game designers to fit their vision in games like Sekiro and Bloodborne / Dark Souls, why not have something like a one hit kill mode for games? I'm totally serious. How does it hurt you as a gamer if other people can just 1 hit their way to the end?

If someone enjoys playing a game that way why should we stop them?

Perhaps some people feel their accomplishment in a game is diminished b/c it's super easy for others to do the same thing? Doesn't make a difference to me.

darksteel6

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I consider Sekiro to be in a different league than RE2 Remake even when attempting that game on hardcore mode. RE2 isn't hard to beat and its design doesn't revolve as much around gitting gud as it does on memorization and finding the best route and making good save points.

In souls games including Sekiro you're always forced to come to a checkpoint with only one path ahead which is to beat the next boss, and that basically takes up the entirety of the game's focus. In RE2 I barely ever saw someone mention "oh man, I can't beat the boss, I keep dying" and I think that communication around how to overcome the challenge itself is part of the whole Souls recipe.

I'm open to accessibility options but if there was an easy mode outright, I certainly would be tempted to use it rather than rage quitting or trying for days, whereas some people will use it because they just want to explore the game's world.

I still find that there should be kinds of games not everyone can play, and while elitism is aggravating to some, I think it's cool to have it so long as it's just that one franchise that completely sticks out from the norm and is infamous for it. I seriously feel an easy mode is a bastardization of the game formula and will ever cheapen anyone's accomplishment because now they beat it on "Normal mode" or "Hard mode". Feels way less brag worthy than "I beat Souls!"
Would it still be a bastardization if the developers themselves put in an easier mode though? I disagree on that, and what about if people use mods to make it easier? I see nothing wrong with that.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
What would be a well implemented easy mode for Sekiro to the people that want it?

If they made either the parry window much larger, or gave a larger reward of posture damage for successful parrying or BOTH while making it so that bosses and enemies didn't one/two shot you (maybe let you take 4 or 5 hits) would instantly make the game more forgiving but still rewarding.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Other than by choice of the game designers to fit their vision in games like Sekiro and Bloodborne / Dark Souls, why not have something like a one hit kill mode for games? I'm totally serious. How does it hurt you as a gamer if other people can just 1 hit their way to the end?

If someone enjoys playing a game that way why should we stop them?

Perhaps some people feel their accomplishment in a game is diminished b/c it's super easy for others to do the same thing? Doesn't make a difference to me.
It doesn't affect me at all. But at the same time, the devs, like porting games, have no obligation to make extra difficulty modes.

Would it be nice, of course. Difficulties would open the game up to a larger audience... but if they don't want to, that's on them.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I apologize in advance if I sound insensitive or maybe even arrogant but...seriously what the fuck IS the big deal about Sekiro's difficulty??

I feel like Bloodborne or Nioh is harder...Bloodborne ESPECIALLY cause you dont have skills to purchase and add to your attack pool. Granted...both games have a summoning mechanic but its STILL hard if you ask me cause summoning someone made the bosses have more health and strength to offset the extra help...and you STILL could get wrecked! (Looks in Ludwig's direction) Not to mention the person you summoned might be a liability cause they could very well die and leave you hanging or just not really know what the fuck they doing in the fight as far as patterns and such go so they could become a "distraction" at the very least but it would just delay the possible inevitable

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
FromSoft does not want an easy mode, therefore we can't complain and have to suck it up. Likewise, if a developer wishes to release their game as an Epic Store exclusive, as an example. Well, we should just deal with it. That's their decision. That's really all there is to it.

The holy developer is above all criticism. We mustn't. We cannot.

In all seriousness, yes - we should and can absolutely criticize developers for stuff like this. Arguing against an easy mode is just gatekeeping. The argument in Jim's video is totally on point.
Come on now. You're free to criticise them, but I'm also free to say I don't agree. It's not my decision, it's theirs and they have very good reason to and I respect that.

darksteel6

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Using Devil May Cry 5 as an example of difficulty done right doesn't work for me. The hard mode is locked behind completing the game, and the normal difficulty doesn't force you to use any of the systems. You can pretty much spam your way through it. I don't like 'stylish action games' that make me set my own challenge. That's ok, game is not for me. I want a game that's hard that encourages me to get better. Acting like I don't count as an audience because I need to 'get good at difficulty settings' is really dumb.
Jim isn't saying you don't count, just saying you shouldn't attack people for not being exactly like you. I don't think what Jim said was dumb at all, it was entirely accurate. Just cause you can spam your way through the game does not mean everybody can.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
If there was an easy mode for Souls type games then I would be more tempted in playing them. That being said I'm not bothered by them not having that in the game, it's their game and in the end it's their choice how they design it. Not every game will be for me and if a game seems that it would be more difficult or frustrating than I want to deal with, then I don't have to play it.

darksteel6

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
This is true but also not necessarily what the whole discussion is about. We've literally had threads about conflating accessibility and "reasonable" difficulty
Well I only come on here for the JQ threads so i've not seen that. Also Jim did bring up disabilities in the video so I think it's worth mentioning. Even taking them out of the equation, not everybody is exactly, saying "oh everybody can do what I can do" is simply not true, not everybody can do calculus for example, I suck at math so I know there's no way in a million years I could ever do that.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Be honest with yourselves, guys. You feel left out that a super hard game series EVERYBODY loves is too hard to enjoy, so you want to both deride a vocal group of crappy purists to feel better about being left out, and campaign to make it accessible enough for you that you won't be left out of the party in the future.

This isn't an argument. It's just a condescending ad hominem.

I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. I didn't really like them. There's almost zero narrative, and the controls feel very sluggish. The difficulty was not a problem since DS difficulty (I haven't played Bloodborne or Sekiro, so this may have changed) is essentially just Simon Says where you just have to memorize attack patterns, and take attacks when you can. Maybe it's because I used to game AI like that all the time when I was a kid, I find it boring to do in these games when that's largely the point. Who knows.

I agree but once that criticism ends up getting repeated over and over and over again it turns into some entitled nonsense.

Well, no, I disagree. As long as one keeps doing the thing being criticized, they'll be criticized for it. Do you think when ES6 comes out with some glitches that people will argue any criticism of that is entitlement? Would you argue that?

darksteel6

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Oh, you mean like this guy? People are just impatient and unwilling to learn the rules of the game. I'd hate to see half of you back in the Ninja Gaiden NES days lol.

Oh Please! I grew up on Genesis games, why do people like you always assume that everyone who is OK with accessibility options has never played old school games? I have, I actually got all the chaos emeralds on Sonic 1 and 2 through lots of struggling and perseverance(and got all A ranks in Sonic Adventure 2) so I know what "old school" difficulty is like.

It has nothing to do with people being "impatient" or "unwilling" or any of that nonsense.

Also the existence of super-talented gamers with disabilities does not automatically mean that every single disabed gamer is a gaming god, that's a blatant example of stereotyping you see in a lot of media that featured disabled characters where they are shown as so talented their disability might as well not exist. Well there's plenty of regular non-famous gamers with disabilities that are not that good and you need to realize that.

Also do you realize NES games had cheat codes right?

TotalBiscuit was upfront about how his Dispraxia made it very difficult for him to deal with puzzles in video games, with my autism I have similar issues(that's why I avoided The Witness like the plague, well that and Jonathon Blow comes off as a pretentious asshat a lot of the time).

Last edited:

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oh my god, you're so wrong. If anything access is limited in capitalism. You have to pay at least 360 dollars to get in touch with this/these artists'(s) "artistic vision(s)", there is nothing pro-art in that. Nothing pro-capitalist in pointing out how art might gatekeep to particular groups and how that might be problematic. If you study Literature, this is a common debate, especially in modernist literature.

Like, wow, "you're a capitalist pig if you want an easy mode" is the freshest take I've seen in a decade. I need a glass of water.

I think you're misinterpreting the argument here.

The cost of entry to the game is the same for every potential player, no one is asking for extra money to get "in touch" with anything. Money isn't buying yourself easy access to Sekiro, only skill. It is the individual player skill that creates the issue of accessibility. Thus it is the creator's individual desire for what game they're making that is at stake. Not everyone is entitled to a modified creative intent just so they can consume a product. To assume you, as a consumer, should have a right to satisfaction from every product, and that a creator must make everything digestible by all potential consumers is most certainly a very capitalist perspective. Clearly someone discussed "should we make something that EVERYONE can spend $$ on and get something out of" was weighed against "do we really care about more $$ or making what we want to make", which has been stated by fromsoft on multiple occasions in the past. They make what they want to make regardless if it'll be a huge profit generator or not.

Ambiguous films don't come with explainers for those who really don't have the critical tools to unpack them, or the lack of desire to unpack them, but we aren't making threads about "are complicated plots bad because they're inaccessible".

I just want to be clear here, i am not trying to deride anyone for their skill level. And if Sekiro had an "easy mode DLC", i'd say your argument had more weight. But that's not the reality of the situation, we're discussing the issue of creative intent vs consumer satisfaction. And if you're not satisfied as a consumer and feel you have a "right" to satisfaction because you're willing to spend money you're part of the problem as far as watering down of creative intent is concerned.

Also at the risk of making an "elitist" argument... I don't think any soulsborne game is really that hard. Sekiro is probably the easiest one, and bloodborne the hardest simply because in sekiro, blocking is obscenely strong and easily exploited to make the game easier. I really personally believe people just really don't want to learn to not play it like a soulsborne game. 9/10 you can win a fight by barely moving if you just learn the rhythm of block, attack, occasionally jump or mikiri. You don't even need to be good at blocking, you can just mash the block button and win the game. It's far more forgiving than it is given credit for.

Last edited:

darksteel6

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
His opinions are usually interesting and I like to know them - but I find his persona is too off-putting, so I rather read them here than watch the videos.
I don't get what's so off-putting about his persona nowadays, I understood why people had issues with it a few years ago back when Jim still used nazi-esque imagery as there was a rise in creepy alt-right asshats fetishizing nazi-stuff, so Jim understandably wanted to move away from that, but nowadays I don't get it.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Oh, you mean like this guy? People are just impatient and unwilling to learn the rules of the game. I'd hate to see half of you back in the Ninja Gaiden NES days lol.

Like Jim said at the end of the video, you're being bit of a dick right now. I think Halfcoordinated said it the best.

It's great that Limitlessquad is having success and good time with the game, but that does fuck all to help anyone else who isn't him.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Oh Please! I grew up on Genesis games, why do people like you always assume that everyone who is OK with accessibility options has never played old school games? I have, I actually got all the chaos emeralds on Sonic 1 and 2 through lots of struggling and perseverance(and got all A ranks in Sonic Adventure 2) so I know what "old school" difficulty is like.

It has nothing to do with people being "impatient" or "unwilling" or any of that nonsense.

Also the existence of super-talented gamers with disabilities does not automatically mean that every single disabed gamer is a gaming god, that's a blatant example of stereotyping you see in a lot of media that featured disabled characters where they are shown as so talented their disability might as well not exist. Well there's plenty of regular non-famous gamers with disabilities that are not that good and you need to realize that.

Hey, you brought up the disabilities, not I. Creators shouldn't have to change their creative vision for a game because it poses a challenge. You can't beat it, move on, there's thousands of games under the sun. And I'm curious, how should your line of thinking apply to online MP, such as the battlefield series? Should we segregate people who are of low skill, or have a disability, into a separate playlist?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Hey, you brought up the disabilities, not I. Creators shouldn't have to change their creative vision for a game because it poses a challenge. You can't beat it, move on, there's thousands of games under the sun. And I'm curious, how should your line of thinking apply to online MP, such as the battlefield series? Should we segregate people who are of low skill, or have a disability, into a separate playlist?
Boy, I hope you never mentioned anything about motion controls ever because that would be pretty hypocritical....

Mar 29, 2018
I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. I didn't really like them. There's almost zero narrative, and the controls feel very sluggish. The difficulty was not a problem since DS difficulty (I haven't played Bloodborne or Sekiro, so this may have changed) is essentially just Simon Says where you just have to memorize attack patterns, and take attacks when you can. Maybe it's because I used to game AI like that all the time when I was a kid, I find it boring to do in these games when that's largely the point. Who knows.
Yeah, pretty damn far off what Bloodborne and Sekiro are like

Also I get any criticisms about narrative and whathaveyou but "sluggish controls"? If anything the games are too responsive, your character often seeming like a mad puppet dancing to your moves

darksteel6

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Actually Jim first brought it up in the video.

I don't play online focused games or MP in general so that's an argument I don't really care about, that's a completely different ballgame then single-player modes or games.

Nobody ever said anything about creators having to change their vision, I think you are inventing arguments that never actually happened. All Jim said was that if From felt like adding an easier mode to their games, it would not be the end of the world, but he was NOT I repeat was NOT demanding that they be added in.

Also neither me nor Jim ever said that we should be able to beat every single game ever made, I know for a fact i'll never be able to beat a Souls game and i'm fine with that, I don't care. What I don't get is why some people are so bent out of shape about even using mods to make a game easier, so fucking what? Why does that matter so much?

Also the fact is, some people are limited by their disabilities and the existence of super-human disabled gamers does not mean those disabled gamers can just "git gud" and power through it. I find that kind of stereotyping of disabled gamers kind of disturbing honestly.

darksteel6

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I largely don't care if FROM or any developer wants to implement an easy or assist mode in otherwise difficult games, but I do take issue with some folks demanding it as a right. If Dark Souls 4, Bloodborne 2, or Sekiro 2 is announced to have assist options, I'll never think about it again after the announcement. If one of those games comes out and doesn't have assist options or an easy mode, I'm sure the discussion will resume as it did during the release of their past games, and there will be dipshits on one side policing others' methods for having fun and yelling 'GIT GUD' over and over again, and I'm sure there will be others likening FROM to being ableist for not including it.

TL;DR easy/assist modes are fine, but so is a developer's decision not to include them, and getting angry at one party for expressing a desire (and modding a PC game accordingly) is just as silly as demanding a developer cater their game to everyone.
I've actually seen more people complain about people demanding it as a right then i've seen people actually demanding it is a right. I'm beginning to think some people are inventing a boogeyman that does not actually exist.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Then that's accessibility option and not easy mode. Big difference there buddy.

If people wanted a Sekiro easy mode, then there should be trainers in the PC version.
"Easy mode" or more precisely adjustable difficulty is really basic and somewhat easy to implement accessibility option.
https://www.specialeffect.org.uk/accessible-gaming-wish-list
http://gameaccessibilityguidelines.com/basic/
https://accessible.games/accessible-player-experiences/
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/gaming/accessibility-for-games
Yeah PC is the best place to play for many reasons and consoles still sadly lack many of these features. Platform holders should be more active with bringing modding to their platform. Right now when that's not the case, developers could do more to have settings to tinker with in-game. Even with modding available they could.

darksteel6

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I apologize in advance if I sound insensitive or maybe even arrogant but...seriously what the fuck IS the big deal about Sekiro's difficulty??

I feel like Bloodborne or Nioh is harder...Bloodborne ESPECIALLY cause you dont have skills to purchase and add to your attack pool. Granted...both games have a summoning mechanic but its STILL hard if you ask me cause summoning someone made the bosses have more health and strength to offset the extra help...and you STILL could get wrecked! (Looks in Ludwig's direction) Not to mention the person you summoned might be a liability cause they could very well die and leave you hanging or just not really know what the fuck they doing in the fight as far as patterns and such go so they could become a "distraction" at the very least but it would just delay the possible inevitable
I think it's because unlike with BB and DS, there's only really one way to play Sekiro, you don't get multiple play-style options like you do with other From games, so if you don't like a heavy-focus on parrying you're shit out of luck basically.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Any argument for or against motion control is basically an argument against the creative vision of the people making the game.

I don't follow. Isn't motion controls basically added by the developer if they choose to do so? I don't understand what the difference is, to me its the difference between using m+kb or a controller on a PC, it's not directly changing the difficulty of a game.

Deleted member 34618

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2017
My problem with easy modes in games isn't the actual easy modes it's how pretty much every AAA game with an easy mode will harass you about it if you die more than 3 times (Capcom and Nintendo are the worst offenders). I play games to have fun, not to have some shithead game developer condescend to me.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

Ummm, they already do. Matchmaking segregates players based on skill in most multiplayer games so as to ensure everyone has fun and fair matches.

darksteel6

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I think you're misinterpreting the argument here.

The cost of entry to the game is the same for every potential player, no one is asking for extra money to get "in touch" with anything. Money isn't buying yourself easy access to Sekiro, only skill. It is the individual player skill that creates the issue of accessibility. Thus it is the creator's individual desire for what game they're making that is at stake. Not everyone is entitled to a modified creative intent just so they can consume a product. To assume you, as a consumer, should have a right to satisfaction from every product, and that a creator must make everything digestible by all potential consumers is most certainly a very capitalist perspective. Clearly someone discussed "should we make something that EVERYONE can spend $$ on and get something out of" was weighed against "do we really care about more $$ or making what we want to make", which has been stated by fromsoft on multiple occasions in the past. They make what they want to make regardless if it'll be a huge profit generator or not.

Ambiguous films don't come with explainers for those who really don't have the critical tools to unpack them, or the lack of desire to unpack them, but we aren't making threads about "are complicated plots bad because they're inaccessible".

I just want to be clear here, i am not trying to deride anyone for their skill level. And if Sekiro had an "easy mode DLC", i'd say your argument had more weight. But that's not the reality of the situation, we're discussing the issue of creative intent vs consumer satisfaction. And if you're not satisfied as a consumer and feel you have a "right" to satisfaction because you're willing to spend money you're part of the problem as far as watering down of creative intent is concerned.

Also at the risk of making an "elitist" argument... I don't think any soulsborne game is really that hard. Sekiro is probably the easiest one, and bloodborne the hardest simply because in sekiro, blocking is obscenely strong and easily exploited to make the game easier. I really personally believe people just really don't want to learn to not play it like a soulsborne game. 9/10 you can win a fight by barely moving if you just learn the rhythm of block, attack, occasionally jump or mikiri. You don't even need to be good at blocking, you can just mash the block button and win the game. It's far more forgiving than it is given credit for.
You can't really compare movies to games though as films are not an interactive medium(obviously there are exceptions like Bandersnatch which are cool, but you get my point) and even if you can't fully understand a film like 2001 a Space Odyssey, there's still nothing that's stopping you from watching it all the way though. Whereas games are one medium where a lack of skill can prevent you from seeing the end credits, Dara o Brian did a great bit on that:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4AmIKhfr40

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't follow. Isn't motion controls basically added by the developer if they choose to do so? I don't understand what the difference is, to me its the difference between using m+kb or a controller on a PC, it's not directly changing the difficulty of a game.
the controls are part of the creative vision of the developers.
It's the things that players will interact with at 1st.
Some people argue that motion aiming (for example) ALWAYS makes any kind of shooting mechanic on consoles better for example.
Some developers will bend their visions to popular demand

The thing is if you wanted the 'full initial' creative version of the games on Switch, it was the game without motion controls or as we call it the inferior version.
Also on pc, sometimes this isn't added at all by the developers.
Look at Dark Souls on PC, the creative vision apparently included 30fps with weird framepacing and all kinds of artifact.
You could argue that it is different when it really isn't, these kinds of enhancements require additional work from the developers that is no necessarily easier to implement than a difficulty setting.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You can't really compare movies to games though as films are not an interactive medium(obviously there are exceptions like Bandersnatch which are cool, but you get my point) and even if you can't fully understand a film like 2001 a Space Odyssey, there's still nothing that's stopping you from watching it all the way though. Whereas games are one medium where a lack of skill can prevent you from seeing the end credits, Dara o Brian did a great bit on that:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4AmIKhfr40
Oh no, i get that. It's probably not a smart comparison because of the huge difference in how one engages with a medium.

I think my general point was just to pull an example that didn't have the baggage that comes with the current debate.

Anyone can spend the same $$ and buy-in, but that doesn't mean the creators are obligated to work harder to please more imo. But i think maybe that's coming from my mindset. I don't really consider FROMSOFT a triple-A dev, and i never have. They've been thrust into a spotlight with the run-away success of a single formula, but they're still making games the same way they always have which is now creating friction.

Although, i'd much rather never come to an understanding and agreement on this point than see another dev become a design by committee share-holder pleasing pablum factory like ubisoft.

At the end of the day, i just believe that not all games are for all people, and that's generally fine as long as we're doing something to address physical accessibility issues. I am happy they at least have full controller customization, i think that goes a long way for many people.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Dead Space argument hit home.

Want easy mode in Sekiro because accessibility ?
Well then don't cry when publisher turns a niche excellent title into generic corridor combat because of accessibility.