• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7o6qfRVqLgAFde68P93i0g

The new discussion with Phil Spencer on Gamertag Radio we've been anticipating!

Interview is from approx. 6:40 to 36:50

topics include:

1st party titles on Xbox One and Series X
Video Game Awards Series X Announcement
Xbox Game Pass and subscriptions
On Phil using Xbox Series X at home
Destiny 2
VR on Series X
True Fantasy Live Online on Original Xbox and cancellation.
PSO2
Japanese support on Xbox and Internal Xbox Studios in Japan

Last edited:

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Not particularly familiar with the podcast, but I am downloading it now through spotify. I honestly love that Phil Spencer is very open communication wise. I haven't owned a Xbox console since the 360 days but i am excited to go back with their new box.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a fan of GTR for a long while. These guys are good. can't wait to listen to this. I hope Paris asked Phil some hard questions.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Started listening to their podcast a few weeks back when Spencer tweeted it out. Surprised I had never heard of it since they have been around so long. Good stuff, they are one of few podcasts out there that kinda know there stuff. So will probably keep listening.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
The biggest take away is that he did indirectly confirm that more games will be coming to the Xbox backwards compatibility program, they are leaving the door for VR open, and that they are happy with the way that more Japanese games are coming to Xbox and that even though he wasn't announcing anything he does see home grown Japanese Xbox games as a possibility

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Damn Phil is dropping bombs on console war fanboys around 31:25

"In the world of console wars and everybody wants to be against something else and not for something..."

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

topics include:

(7:24) Xbox being centered around the User, not the Device and 1st party titles on Xbox One and Series X
(13:21) Video Game Awards Series X Announcement
(16:10) Xbox Game Pass and subscriptions
(20:35) On Phil using Xbox Series X at home
(22:35) Destiny 2
(25:08) VR on Series X
(28:16) True Fantasy Live Online on Original Xbox and its cancellation, as well as PSO2 talk.
(32:45) Japanese support on Xbox and Internal Xbox Studios in Japan

Last edited:

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omg I'm soon to fly out for business to Amsterdam, this will be perfect for the flight! Thanks.

OP
OP
TheUnseenTheUnheard

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018

topics include:

1st party titles on Xbox One and Series X
Video Game Awards Series X Announcement
Xbox Game Pass and subscriptions
On Phil using Xbox Series X at home
Destiny 2
VR on Series X
True Fantasy Live Online on Original Xbox and cancellation.
PSO2
Japanese support on Xbox and Internal Xbox Studios in Japan
Ill add to OP. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
That was a great interview, and I have to say that I'm glad to hear from Phil regarding their support for Xbox in Japan and how it's unacceptable. There's a long road ahead for that but the most important thing to do is to never give up IMO, especially for the rest of Eurasia.

Edit: and I want to mention that the hosts are awesome, too. How have I not heard of this podcast before? I'm def going to stick around!

OP
OP
TheUnseenTheUnheard

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
It sounds like Japan is going to be a huge deal this time around when XSX launches. Should be interesting.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
Why is he so "obsessed" (might be too strong a word) with Japan? That market is moving towards mobile/handheld gaming more than anything isn't it?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Why is he so "obsessed" (might be too strong a word) with Japan? That market is moving towards mobile/handheld gaming more than anything isn't it?

Japanese developers and publishers have seen a renaissance this gen. Phil wants to make sure Xbox is not left behind. Also, xcloud could do well there given their infrastructure.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japan has a high density of the best gaming minds in the industry, you need quality content from there if you want to make it.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably to no effect. Nintendo and PlayStation are so deeply rooted there. Unless they majorly fuck up, you're nog getting in between as a western games company.
i doubt they want to conquer the japanese market, it's probably more about convincing japanese devs to release their games on the XBox instead of only doing ps4/switch.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't know why it took this long for gamertag radio to actually be posted here. But it is my hands down favorite gaming podcast.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yeah, and with Xcloud being on phones it makes sense. Also Sony gets alot of exclusives that shouldn't be exclusives they should just be third party / multiplatform titles. He needs to fix that.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
i doubt they want to conquer the japanese market, it's probably more about convincing japanese devs to release their games on the XBox instead of only doing ps4/switch.
Yuuup. With the way the JP market has shrunk this gen, there's even less of a chance of Xbox consoles flourishing over there now. This is about getting content to the Xbox ecosystem, not about making Xbox sell well in Japan.

OP
OP
TheUnseenTheUnheard

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
Yuuup. With the way the JP market has shrunk this gen, there's even less of a chance of Xbox consoles flourishing over there now. This is about getting content to the Xbox ecosystem, not about making Xbox sell well in Japan.
They want to make Xbox important to people in Japan so it's important to the devs there. That's basically what was said in the podcast. Who knows what they will actually be able to do with that though.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
They want to make Xbox important to people in Japan so it's important to the devs there. That's basically what was said in the podcast. Who knows what they will actually be able to do with that though.
Yeah. I just listened to the JP market question now. That's a way more ambitious mindset than I thought Phil would have. I thought they had given up on Japan.

I guess XCloud could be part of their next attempt at succeeding in Japan?

m23

Oct 25, 2017
That was a good listen. I've listened to GTR on and off, they're really interesting to listen to.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

This is exactly the reason, and he's talked about it before. Spencer has outright stated he knows they have little to no chance of actually getting the Xbox console to make a dent in the Japanese market anytime soon, for a multitude of kinda baked-in reasons. However, what he does want, is to ensure more major Japanese-developed titles actually see Xbox releases at all, and preferably day-and-date with other platforms - not a year or two later. He specifically mentioned Nier Automata in the interview in 2018 where he made these comments. Nioh would be another good example.

He also mentioned services like Game Pass as potentially helping with this effort, as he can reach out to smaller Japanese game devs and say something like "okay, maybe your game doesn't have enough of a worldwide market to do a proper "release" - but perhaps we can add it to Game Pass instead?"

We've also seen the fruits of some of these effots, with Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy libraries finally coming to the Xbox, not to mention his efforts on something like Phantasy Star Online 2 - which I'd guess is literally only happening after 8 years, because Spencer/Xbox probably offered to fund the localization and North American hosting (there's a conspicuous Azure logo at the end of the E3 2019 trailer).

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the XBOX Series X reveal was about "disrupting" their market position?

That's an interesting snippet for sure.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It was a good listen but quite a few of their questions were too long, and pre-empting too much of Phil's answers.

Always good that he gives smaller podcasts and sites access though and isn't just speaking to IGN or whoever.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of these guys, but will give them a listen at work today. Sounds like they've been around for a while,too.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Watching on YouTube. I've always liked this podcast, even though I don't listen all the time

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Good listen.

I liked the fact they asked him some of the tougher questions, specifically pushing him on:

Japanese content and the Japanese market
VR and why MS isn't getting involved.
No XSX exclusive launch titles

..and from Phil's perspective, good responses.

I take from his response that:

MS will keep improving in Japan, along the same trajectory they have been improving in terms of hardware, studio capacity and services. This doesn't mean they'll be anywhere first place, but getting stronger is very likely. This is due in part to X-cloud, the likelihood of much more countries being deemed Tier 1 at launch and the push for Japanese studios getting involved in Xbox. either through acquisition or simply by releasing on Xbox.

RE: VR. This may disappoint some people but he's very clear about not working in that area ATM.

RE: XSX exclusivity. Phil did acknowledge that their choice will lead to trade offs in game design sometimes and i think that will annoy some. MS are setting themselves a challenge in this area

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
RE: XSX exclusivity. Phil did acknowledge that their choice will lead to trade offs in game design sometimes and i think that will annoy some. MS are setting themselves a challenge in this area
Maybe now when we have discussions on this, folks won't be so quick to dismiss the concerns some bring up.

Then again, that Booty quote gets explained in ways that don't match what Booty said, so who knows.