• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/Ii9TJxyOz08

After 7 years of working on this project, we are excited to finally share our results. We have faced so many challenges while translating this game, ranging from reverse engineering the game's files, overcoming multiple technical limitations of the game's engine, translating over 17,000 individual Japanese lines, replacing hundreds of speech bubbles in pre-rendered videos, to releasing this patch for two completely different systems simultaneously.

We have poured so much into making this and are proud to finally release it.

fantranslators.info

E.X. Troopers English Translation Patch - Fan Translators International

This is a full English translation patch for E.X. Troopers, a spin-off game in the Lost Planet series and exclusive to Japan on PS3 and 3DS. November 22, 2022 marks the 10th anniversary of the game’s original release.

Download the patch
More information on the patch + full credits

In the 10th anniversary of the game, even. The wait is over. Play this.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Ha, right after the anniversary thread. Now there's really no excuse not to play this.

Pretty cool that they managed this for both platforms, too.

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
I received many replies in my thread saying how they really wanted to play... BUT
This solves many of those issues.
Get on this peeps, this game is an absolute blast.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I thought this was considered basically impossible due to how the game renders its text

I might have to check this out

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Why not a classic ISP patcher like file for us to patch a rom or something ...

...does that even exists on the 3DS ?

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
lol well there goes my excuse for not playing this despite owning a physical copy

i'm guessing u need a modded ps3 for this? i have both a stock console and a soft modded console so i'm good on that end, but would love to get trophies on my main account if possible.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Another ""impossible"" feat made possible by dedicated fans.

EX Troopers is a super fun game. I don't remember much of the story except for aggressively shonen anime-ness (up to and including the guy going Super Saiyan at the end, I'm pretty sure), but it's cool that it was translated all the same. And lock-on shooters are something of a lost genre these days, so I'd highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys that kind of combat. (Plus, it's still the closest we'll likely ever come to Mega Man Legends 3, so there's that too.)

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
Amazingly stylish and great soundtrack. Kinda tempted to replay it just for the ending cutscene.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Always such a joy to see fan translations get released.
Congratulations to the team that worked so hard on this!

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Massive shoutouts to my buddy who did the actual translation on this thing, he's been working on it for so long while also working full time, it's been a lot of work!
We originally played the game on launch and did all the co-op stuff together, so I'm excited to finally play it again in English and have been sitting here quietly waiting til I could talk about it. It's a good game and I hope a lot more people can enjoy it now!
Congrats to everyone on the team!

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a dumb question, but I own a physical copy of the game and I'm curious if there is a way to play this with an unmodified PS3? My PS3 is up to date on firmware, so I don't even know if it is hackable anyway. Or if they ban people for logging on with a hacked console.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. This is fucking awesome and a big surprise. I was afraid we'd be forever stuck with the previous translation that, while I appreciate it existed at all, was… not great by a longshot. (But again, I'm thankful someone put that one together at all. It can't have been easy.)

Gonna have to give this a go sometime.

Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty sick, E.X. Troopers was one of the few PS3 games I actually imported (along with the Yakuza games when it seemed hopeless they'd be released overseas.) It's a ton of fun and thankfully you could figure the core gameplay out without a translation, but I missed out on a lot of context and character beats. This is the perfect excuse to run through it again.

Played about the first hour on 3DS - going to jump back in now.

If you're a 3DS aficionado, absolutely play this. It's astonishingly well done. The game itself runs really nicely on the 3DS, though I highly advise playing it with a circle pad pro or modded C-Stick. The frame rate still drops at times, but given how good it looks, I don't have an issue with that.

For the translation: A few minor issues here and there (very minor cutscene stuttering, a few other typography issues), but so far so good. Nicely done.

Massive shoutouts to my buddy who did the actual translation on this thing, he's been working on it for so long while also working full time, it's been a lot of work!
We originally played the game on launch and did all the co-op stuff together, so I'm excited to finally play it again in English and have been sitting here quietly waiting til I could talk about it. It's a good game and I hope a lot more people can enjoy it now!
Congrats to everyone on the team!

Give them my thanks - their hard work has not gone unnoticed. These types of translations are a dream come true. I've owned the 3DS cart for a bit now, and trudged through the old translation, but it was rough.

So, this makes it feel like an official localization and a brand new game I own. So awesome.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Holy sh*t! right after the other thread! Going to go in with this new translation on the new 3ds!

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
So how does this work on 3DS? I guess you need to hack it, but isn't the 3DS region locked? Does this bypass that?

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a lost planet mark, I remember being devasted this wasn't coming westward. Since then, I've played the 3ds version for a bit before puting it down because of the controls, I think. Excited to play in English on RPCS3.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Nice! Funny how the timing works out with the other thread. Now please make a thread about how awesome Tales of Rebirth is. :p

But I was interested in E.X. Troopers back when it first came out, I even made a Japanese account and downloaded the demo on PS3. I remember thinking that the boss battle was probably a bit long, but it was fun! Great to see it has a complete translation now. Hopefully I can check it out one of these days.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
One of the most underrated games of all-time. I hope people can finally enjoy this. The story is quite good for what it is as well.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
That is awesome. I loved it on the PS3. May'n's theme song done like an anime OP was kickass, too.

Late game spoiler…
The mecha rail shooter portion ruled.

megamanofnumbers

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
Just finished properly testing my rpcs3 for some games. Hell fucking yeah. Now I hope the Sengoku Basara 4 translation is finished someday. The other jp-only Capcom lost to time. And possibly one of the coolest musou-like games ever!

Last edited:

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
That's very cool. I imported this years ago and have played a bit but was having trouble with the language barrier. Will have to look into what it would take to run on PS3.