• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
GotG3 online reception will be interesting. Some will hate it automatically and the rest will compare it to the now mythical Gunn screenplay.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Well if it's been delayed to like a 2022 release as some rumors have it, and it turns out no one else wants to do it, I could probably see that happening though it's a longshot. Then again more impossible things have happened in the MCU's history.

But also in that case, would Gunn even want to come back. I think the actual MCU execs like Feige etc. still have his back and didn't agree with the decision to fire him (it's pretty telling that there was no statement from anyone at MS when the firing was announced...), but even with that, if I was him I'd feel a bit uneasy knowing that upper management fell for a mob of alt right doinks that called you a pedo and doubled down on their decision...

It depends how said upper management treats him. Remember his last public statement:

"Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all."

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-exits-guardians-galaxy-vol-3-1128786

Regardless how much I think Alan Horn was a stupid asshole firing Gunn, it's hard to not see the "business side" of this thing: Disney is going through their biggest acquisition of its history. It needs the DOJ approval, and Rupert Murdoch is friends with Trump. Gunn was one of the most outspoken famous people owning Trump on Twitter almost at a daily basis. The alt-right scandal was hard to navigate back then, but maybe after the merger is done and Horn is out, it might become manageable. I wouldn't discard James Gunn still being secretly "on hold" for this, despite what the actors close to the production know and think.

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
people doubting James's writing talent just because some tweets... wow...

despite the tweets... the man is really creative

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
gamergate gave rise to the alt-right movement which is who elected donald trump

gamergate was a boil on the ass of the alt-right movement that had started a decade previous, while the organizers did put together a lot of the previously used social media salvos into one "campaign" for the first extremely public time, the only thing they did was rise above the dark surface of the internet for the briefest of moments and bask in the sunlight of media attention, allowing many people to see what these assholes were up too for the first time

this isn't to say it wasn't impactful and hurtful for a lot of people, but to claim that it gave rise to the alt-right movement is to show a deep ignorance of contemporary political history.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
That's a nice script you have there, would be a shame if you didn't delete some tweets...

Alan-Horn-Featured-Management.jpg

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
As if Travis Knight is above doing a Marvel movie when he just did a fucking Transformers movie.

The fuck? I'm saying don't waste him on this script, not that he is above doing a Marvel film.

he's an artist creating art from his soul you piece of shit

gunn has never made personal films about real emotions

The only thing that comes from James Gunn's soul are tasteless rape and pedo jokes, the Guardians franchise is just his way of doing what Robert Rodriguez was doing with Spy Kids or what Eli Roth is doing with The House with a Clock in its Walls, it's where he gets to pretend to be something he isn't and if he put much effort into it I feel sorry for him because it certainly doesn't come off that way.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I'm caught up now. If he'd made those "jokes" today it would have made perfect sense to fire him - what's more meaningful was that not only were they a decade ago - he recognized it and apologized long before they resurfaced - so the veracity of his apology is unquestionable. People who genuinely try to improve themselves should be encouraged and used as exemplars. Disney is a private company and entitled to do what they did, but I suspect he, they and the cast and crew could have moved past this and maybe used it as a teaching moment.

I didn't know about the deliberate campaign /brigading. Seems almost self-destructive unless they think of GoG as some sort of "SJW" thing. But after the Star Wars stuff I have no idea what to think anymore.
Everything is more scrutinized in these times and Disney also has a reputation to maintain.

He's a popular movie director of a movie franchise people love, so it's not surprising the outpouring of support he's receiving.

I swear, people lose their goddamn mind on Twitter.

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that comes from James Gunn's soul are tasteless rape and pedo jokes,
Let me stop you right there...shhhhhhhh. People change. Adam Yauch used to openly sexually assault women. Then he changed. It can happen. For you to claim to know what's in his soul is just stupid beyond words. Especially given that he apologized for this stuff long before any of this went down.

Regardless how much I think Alan Horn was a stupid asshole firing Gunn, it's hard to not see the "business side" of this thing: Disney is going through their biggest acquisition of its history. It needs the DOJ approval, and Rupert Murdoch is friends with Trump. Gunn was one of the most outspoken famous people owning Trump on Twitter almost at a daily basis. The alt-right scandal was hard to navigate back then, but maybe after the merger is done and Horn is out, it might become manageable. I wouldn't discard James Gunn still being secretly "on hold" for this, despite what the actors close to the production know and think.

giphy.gif

doinkies

Jun 20, 2018

Trump/the DOJ already approved of the FOX merger in June and Gunn got fired in July, so I don't think that had anything to do with it...

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
FOH with your garbage conspiracy theory bullshit.

Gunn got was coming. Quit stanning for fucking garbage because you like his comic book movies.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck? I'm saying don't waste him on this script, not that he is above doing a Marvel film.
Ok, then he's not above doing a Guardians 3 with a script from James Gunn. He wouldn't be wasted if he wanted to do it.
The only thing that comes from James Gunn's soul are tasteless rape and pedo jokes, the Guardians franchise is just his way of doing what Robert Rodriguez was doing with Spy Kids or what Eli Roth is doing with The House with a Clock in its Walls, it's where he gets to pretend to be something he isn't and if he put much effort into it I feel sorry for him because it certainly doesn't come off that way.
I can't agree with this. I've followed James Gunn since he made Super and you do see a maturity in his later films that just isn't in his earlier work at Troma.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Yes I'm a robot because a comic book movie hasn't made me cry. Get a grip.

No, you are emotionally a child for not understanding why others could cry by watching a "comic book movie" or any other piece of media that might have touched them in a personal level. What I'm saying is that you are emotionally inept to empathize, and your reply here isn't doing you any favors, by the way.

Trump/the DOJ already approved of the FOX merger in June and Gunn got fired in July, so I don't think that had anything to do with it...
Yes but the merging isn't yet done. I'm fully aware of the intracacies of the Fox merger, and my point is that it'd make sense from a business to standpoint to avoid controversies, like the Gunn's firing. The thing is, it backfired on them, but reverting it at least not with some distance also would.

Welcome to my ignore list club.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, you are emotionally a child for not understanding why others could cry by watching a "comic book movie" or any other piece of media that might have touched them in a personal level. What I'm saying is that you are emotionally inept to empathize, and your reply here isn't doing you any favors, by the way.

Yes but the merging isn't yet done. I'm fully aware of the intracacies of the Fox merger, and my point is that it'd make sense from a business to standpoint to avoid controversies, like the Gunn's firing. The thing is, it backfired on them, but reverting it at least not with some distance also would.

Welcome to my ignore list club.

No, I'm laughing at the idea of people crying reading a script. And lol at the reply not doing me favors. Whatever that means. Lol

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Reading through this thread made me cry.

Really though, it sucks we won't get to see the script made the way Gunn would've done it. I'm sure it woulda been cool.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Era: We're not like those other gaming sites. We don't partake in toxic masculinity and making fun of people for expressing emotions.

Also Era: *This fucking topic*

Everyday, it shows more and more that Era is no better than the other garbage gaming forums.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's the third film of the trilogy and likely to be an "end" to the arcs of the core cast of characters. The tears are practically built-into the concept at this point.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Era: We're not like those other gaming sites. We don't partake in toxic masculinity and making fun of people for expressing emotions.

Everyday, it shows more and more that Era is no better than the other garbage gaming forums.

In Era's defense, it wasn't always like this, not in the beginning at least. The first three to six months were absolutely gold. With the growth, it's natural that more people would chime in and something of that would start being part of our day to day. With that said, at the very least here we still have a sizable amount of pushback against toxic behaviors like that.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

One could argue that there is something toxic in the idea that you could be moved to tears by the script of a Marvel machine movie... Hmm... there's something there I think... not all media is worthy of that kind of emotional investment, especially the kind of manufactured cloying emotional manipulation that these toy movies are replete with.

I dunno... there might be something there. That late-state capitalism has ruined our emotional responses and attached us to these characters.

Clearly no one should be denigrating someone who cried because they read the script, that's childish.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
This forum can be fucking disgusting and abhorrent sometimes. The first page is proof. A lot more people on my ignore list now.

100 fucking percent.

The old place back in the day would permanently ban people for some of this shit.

Last edited:

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why? Because I think it's funny. I think it's funny that an adult can get so worked up about a movie script. It's really not that big of a deal if I or others find it funny.
Have you never teared up while reading a book? These things invoke your imagination, you invest and draw a thing to life, and you see it playout in your head. Of course people will be emotionally attached during the experience.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Why? Because I think it's funny. I think it's funny that an adult can get so worked up about a movie script. It's really not that big of a deal if I or others find it funny.
Adults cry. Adults have feelings and most of all, adults go through real shit that impact their views of the pieces of media they consume, be it a film or a screenplay. It's not a big deal if you find it funny, it is reprehensible if you and others mock those that felt something while watching any piece of media. You seem to see "adults" like society expect men to behave: "lol why are you crying, stop crying, crying at a marvel movie lmfao". It's not funny. It's toxic and it's bullshit.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why is it any fucking concern of yours what people get emotional over? Do you personally know them? Do you have any involvement in their lives at all? You're a fucking stranger on a message board. No one here knows eachother. Let people cry over what they want to cry over and mind your own business.

Take a deep breath, and read what I posted. I said that no one should be denigrated for getting emotional. I'm trying to play with the idea that there IS something toxic in the way Marvel manipulates our emotions.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Take a deep breath, and read what I posted. I said that no one should be denigrated for getting emotional. I'm trying to play with the idea that there IS something toxic in the way Marvel manipulates our emotions.

My bad, I misread. Initially came off like the garbage in the first page.

This, however, is trash.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I'm in the camp where i don't care if another person directs long as they get someone who is a good fit AS LONG as they use Gunns script. If they don't, i don't care about it. I don't want some random person finishing what he started because they won't nail the characters like he did.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's good, but it would take something really special to make me cry.
Last time I think I heard a superhero script made preview people cry was TDKR and that was bad.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't GOTG3 going focus on Rocket's backstory or something? His chapter in the Telltale game was emotional, so I can understand the tears if it's something similar.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
One could argue that there is something toxic in the idea that you could be moved to tears by the script of a Marvel machine movie... Hmm... there's something there I think... not all media is worthy of that kind of emotional investment, especially the kind of manufactured cloying emotional manipulation that these toy movies are replete with.

I dunno... there might be something there. That late-state capitalism has ruined our emotional responses and attached us to these characters.

Clearly no one should be denigrating someone who cried because they read the script, that's childish.

I mean, what? Are you really gate-keeping what people should and shouldn't feel an emotional response to?

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

How elitist, superior and not childish at all of you. I for one only cry when media is worthy of that kind of emotional investment, like pre-stardom Iñárritu films. Yawn.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'll always be easy to romanticize projects like this we'll never see. I know James Gunn and his writing well enough by now though that I'm not sure how much this would resonate with me personally.

At any rate I wish this was never said. It's best to forget about it and embrace whoever the new talent is with open arms.