• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is terrible. Gunn may or may not be a changed person, but the hypocrisy of picking and choosing who we think are rehabilitated because we like their work product is ridiculous. Just because hes smart enough to have not tweet or say anything out of the way in public doesn't mean he's a changed man. Not saying he isn't, but the way ERA jumps on others for past tweets shows its wildly inconsistent.
You talking about Kevin Hart, right?

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Why? Because I think it's funny. I think it's funny that an adult can get so worked up about a movie script.

This shit always baffles me. If we didn't have people who cared deeply about movie scripts we wouldn't have any movies. If even the people who work in the movie industry aren't allowed to be moved by the stories they're involved in, then what's the fucking point?

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
whats this now the 50th zatt thread on i want my james gunn back with marvel.

na guardians 2 was a total mess for me, they went all in on the groot bullshit and its totally jarring.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Why? Because I think it's funny. I think it's funny that an adult can get so worked up about a movie script. It's really not that big of a deal if I or others find it funny.
A movie script is a story. Do stories not conjure emotions in you? If you read the script to a film you found emotional, assuming such a thing was allowed to exist, would you not find that emotional?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This thread is terrible. Gunn may or may not be a changed person, but the hypocrisy of picking and choosing who we think are rehabilitated because we like their work product is ridiculous. Just because hes smart enough to have not tweet or say anything out of the way in public doesn't mean he's a changed man. Not saying he isn't, but the way ERA jumps on others for past tweets shows its wildly
inconsistent.

If you're going to call "Era" out on something like that, give an actual example instead of the drive-by.

Because if you're talking about the Kevin Hart situation, that simply is not remotely the same thing and there is no hypocrisy here.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zatt

2790528-5439472555-B78W6.jpg

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
The idea that a super hero movie could make someone cry is so bizarre to me. I saw Infinity War and even with half the cast dying the only emotional part was maybe when Spiderman died
This is stupid. What makes a superhero necessarily any less of a movie than any other? Any movie can make anyone cry if it has resonates with them. What an ignorant attitude.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
If you're going to call "Era" out on something like that, give an actual example instead of the drive-by.

Because if you're talking about the Kevin Hart situation, that simply is not remotely the same thing and there is no hypocrisy here.
Didn't Kevin Hart refuse to apologize initially? He didn't actually do so until after the Academy booted him.

Whereas Gunn was pretty graceful in admitting what he did was wrong.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
What's with the stuff about not crying during a super hero movie? Have you guys not watched movies from the DCEU? :p

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Or have you enjoyed them way too much?
DisgustingRemoteHadrosaurus-small.gif
Man I have yet to see a single DCEU movie that O didn't feel was bad (and that includes WW who I felt was a retread of Man of Steel with prety similar plot points)

I just think mocking the notion that super hero movies can be emotional is absurd. Ang Lee did a very touching Hulk 15 years ago and the first Iron Man is actually prety interesting from a moral/emotional standing. Especially the scientist sacrificing himself to see his family again

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Man I have yet to see a single DCEU movie that O didn't feel was bad (and that includes WW who I felt was a retread of Man of Steel with prety similar plot points)

I just think mocking the notion that super hero movies can be emotional is absurd. Ang Lee did a very touching Hulk 15 years ago and the first Iron Man is actually prety interesting from a moral/emotional standing. Especially the scientist sacrificing himself to see his family again
I disagree with you on Wonder Woman and I'd highly recommend Aquaman to anyone that enjoys if not complex superhero films, excellent action scenes and sheer spectacle, but yeah agreed on Man of Steel and everything else. The crazy thing about Ang Lee's Hulk is that what actually works in that film are the quiet moments, the non-action scenes. Some pretty heavy shit going on that thing, and yeah, Iron Man started the MCU with a home run, it actually made me care about Iron Man, which I never thought it was even possible.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Didn't Kevin Hart refuse to apologize initially? He didn't actually do so until after the Academy booted him.

Exactly. Hart literally refused to apologize. Multiple times, actually. Gunn apologized for his cringe humor before literal white supremacists dug up his old tweets out of revenge for speaking up against Trump. We saw Gunn change over the years and speak about his old style of humor in a regretful way.

And honestly, the original situations weren't the same thing either. It is very clear to most people that Gunn was simply saying shocking things as a failed attempt at being funny. Hart was not saying things to be shocking. He used his real life homophobic views as a launching pad for the jokes that followed.

Kevin Hart being scared of his son being gay and wanting to keep him straight wasn't a joke. That was real.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I disagree with you on Wonder Woman and I'd highly recommend Aquaman to anyone that enjoys if not complex superhero films, excellent action scenes and sheer spectacle, but yeah agreed on Man of Steel and everything else. The crazy thing about Ang Lee's Hulk is that what actually works in that film are the quiet moments, the non-action scenes. Some pretty heavy shit going on that thing, and yeah, Iron Man started the MCU with a home run, it actually made me care about Iron Man, which I never thought it was even possible.

Iron Man was also coming off of the comic book Civil War story, which made Tony into a very unlikable character -- bordering on villain.

It's easy to forget now but the Iron Man film basically saved the character of Tony Stark.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I'm not surprised, Gunn does emotions really well. Yondu'ss arc was the best thing in 2. I dislike most Marvel movies but that scene was legit, and I felt like it was miles ahead of Thanos's snap.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
"YOU CRIED BECAUSE OF A MOVIE?!? HUURDURRR UR FUCKING WEIRD BRAH"
  • It's a script, not a movie
  • The scripts for these movies are rarely--if ever--deep or complex
  • "Hurr durr" has not been funny for 10 years
Nobody's saying you can't cry at a movie

People are saying that crying at a script to a Marvel movie is worth a laugh

Or at least, I am

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Congratulations, you got what I'm making fun of.

And read the thread, people are not just talking about the script of GotG3, but the movie (like you put it) of GotG Vol 2.
I've cried during movies before, but Marvel movies don't strike me as being well-written enough for me to give a shit. I may be the outlier on that, but whatever.

So on the one hand, I can get why people are poking fun at crying during a Marvel movie on principle, but on the other hand, people cry during movies all the time and more specifically, might relate to the parental themes in GotG 2.

So we agree on that, lol

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

The comparisons are shit from the get go. Hart is a homophobe. Gunn isn't a pedo. Hart doubled down. Gunn apologized.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
  • It's a script, not a movie
  • The scripts for these movies are rarely--if ever--deep or complex
  • "Hurr durr" has not been funny for 10 years
Nobody's saying you can't cry at a movie

People are saying that crying at a script to a Marvel movie is worth a laugh

Or at least, I am

You thought this was supposed to solidify your argument.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One could argue that there is something toxic in the idea that you could be moved to tears by the script of a Marvel machine movie... Hmm... there's something there I think... not all media is worthy of that kind of emotional investment, especially the kind of manufactured cloying emotional manipulation that these toy movies are replete with.

I dunno... there might be something there. That late-state capitalism has ruined our emotional responses and attached us to these characters.

Clearly no one should be denigrating someone who cried because they read the script, that's childish.

I teared up at Highlander. Come at me.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering scripts are more often written to be tools than they are highly polished books with pacing put into words, I do find the "crying" thing a little bit strange and hard to relate to.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I can't imagine it being that much of a departure from the other ones. Marvel movies really blend together in your mind after a few months. I'm getting a bit sick of the formula.

Except Dr. Strange.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I am fully on board with the "fuck Marvel for what they did to Gunn" train but it is long past time to accept it and move on. Gunn being free should be seen as a great opportunity and I really hope he focuses on original shit like Slither once he is done with his "fuck you" projects at DC.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm entering this thread a bit late but lol at that first page. Lots of very insecure people.
I tear up all the time while watching movies and even playing games, I'm the easiest mark in the world.
One of my fondest memories of my dad is him crying at the end of Commando of all things, haha. As a kid, I was like WTF? But now I know I am 100% my father's son. And I give no fucks, I like that I can get absorbed in a story this much, life would be so boring if I couldn't.

Anyway, back on topic. Not sure if they should use his script or not. My take is that I'd rather have them drop GotG3 entirely and work some of these characters into another cosmic film. Get a new director to do Annihilation, Silver Surfer (yeah, I know, they don't have the rights quite yet, but soon) or Nova.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Anyway, back on topic. Not sure if they should use his script or not. My take is that I'd rather have them drop GotG3 entirely and work some of these characters into another cosmic film. Get a new director to do Annihilation, Silver Surfer (yeah, I know, they don't have the rights quite yet, but soon) or Nova.

That would be great, and they should get Abnett and Lanning in to oversee cosmic marvel. I couldn't stand what Gunn did with GOTG.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Never really cared for the GOTG films anyway, but think it's long past arguing whether Gunn or not is coming back. Decision made. Time to just get behind whatever they decide to make.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The takes of some people over here like the "imagine crying in a Marvel movie" is... pure YIKES for me.

I had these 3 teenagers sitting beside me on Infinity War and they were bawling their hearts out once the credits rolled, with one even saying "what the fuck just happened".

Nov 18, 2017
The takes of some people over here like the "imagine crying in a Marvel movie" is... pure YIKES for me.

I had these 3 teenagers sitting beside me on Infinity War and they were bawling their hearts out once the credits rolled, with one even saying "what the fuck just happened".

Bad CGI of actors disintegrating which will be reversed in the next film? There's something emotionally stunted to me about crying at something so shallow. Compared to what cinema can offer elsewhere. Sorry.