• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
Microsoft released its first emulator for Windows 10X today, allowing developers to get a first look at the new operating system variant for dual-screen devices. Microsoft wants to give developers a head start on optimizing apps before devices launch later this year, so this basic emulator provides an early look at Windows 10X before it's finalized.

My first thoughts? Windows 10X feels like a slightly more modern version of Windows 10 that has been cleaned up for future devices.

Windows 10X is designed exclusively for foldable and dual-screen hardware, and Microsoft has customized it as a result. One of the biggest noticeable changes is the new Windows 10X Start menu. It no longer includes the animated Live Tiles found on Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows Phone, and it now includes a more simplified look.

The Windows 10X Start Menu includes apps you can pin in place, and a list of recent documents. It looks a lot more like a task launcher than what exists in Windows 10 at the moment. You can search for apps, documents, or even web content, and this also supports basic voice input. Cortana is nowhere to be found, though, not even in the settings section of Windows 10X.

Aside from a new Start menu, Windows 10X feels very similar to Windows 10. There are dark and light modes to choose from visually, but the biggest UX changes in Windows 10X can be found in the way you multitask with apps. Unlike Windows 10, you can't simply have apps floating anywhere on a screen. Apps open by default on a single screen and you can drag them across the two displays with a mouse or touch to have them fully stretch and span across dual-screen devices.

Microsoft is also making use of gestures for multitasking, and some of them feel similar to what exists in Windows 10 and Windows 8. Except there are tiny minimize and close buttons that feel occasionally tricky to touch in 10X.

Speaking of gestures, you swipe up from the bottom of the display to access the Start menu or list of running apps on the task bar. You can also access an updated Action Center from the task bar that includes quick access to settings like volume, brightness, Bluetooth, rotation lock, and more.

Task View, which allows you to see apps running on Windows 10X, has also been updated and you can use it to summon apps onto a particular display. If you're used to the old Windows desktop or File Explorer, both of these have disappeared in Windows 10X. If you right-click on the desktop in Windows 10X, you're simply greeted with the ability to change a background in settings, and no app icons or documents are stored here.

Likewise, the traditional File Explorer has been replaced with a modern File Explorer that will guide Windows 10X users toward libraries of content, and will support external devices for file transfers.

The other new addition inside Windows 10X is the Wonder Bar. It's designed to sit above or below a hardware keyboard, or appear as part of the software keyboard in the OS. It's similar to Apple's Touch Bar and provides rich input options like GIFs or emoji, or even a software trackpad.

In the emulator, it's still fairly basic right now, and it's difficult to test without apps that are optimized for it. Microsoft envisions ambient information appearing here from apps, or apps like Netflix taking advantage of picture-in-picture support to simply dock in the Wonder Bar. Even apps like Windows Calculator that have an always-on-top mode could dock here. I think this is the truly interesting part of Windows 10X, but it will rely on developers really plugging into it and making it useful.

www.theverge.com

A first look at Microsoft’s new Windows 10X operating system for dual screens

This is how Microsoft is modernizing Windows

TvqKdGu.png

2sTmJYe.png

VgjjshQ.png

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
this broke my brain, I imagined it was a new unified UI for people with multiple work screens.

This being for 2 verticle screens side by side is weird, and I wish them the best of luck!

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It certainly looks better than the old Windows 10 tablet UI. I'm kinda skeptical on dual screens but I guess will see how it goes.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
This is my first time seeing this, feel like I just took some crazy pills or something lol
There's also a new phone device called Surface Duo, but it is a smaller form factor and it runs Android. Looks great.

www.resetera.com

Microsoft Announces Surface Duo phone

Microsoft had one last surprise at its Surface event: a foldable Surface Duo phone that runs Android. The design of the device resembles Microsoft’s just-announced dual-screen Surface Neo laptop, but on a smaller, pocketable scale. The allows the two screens to rotate 360-degrees, allowing it...

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That actually looks really good. I like the simplified look to it.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Man. I really try to resist buying gen1 hardware. But the Neo and Duo definitely make me ready to spend bad amounts of money.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
The demo version seems extremely conceptually rough. Several parts barely work, and fundamentally it just seems to reinforce that it's another bad idea to try and make the modern APIs work. Which they never will.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
The demo version seems extremely conceptually rough. Several parts barely work
It's the first release of a emulated version of a OS that's almost 10 months out from release, it's definitely going to run way smoother by release.

Conceptually I think it's really interesting and will probably work much better than just backporting these features to base W10. The real question is if this has x86-64 emulation for non UWP Apps (they are using Chromium Edge which isn't UWP, so maybe?) I could see this being a huge boon for offices and productivity, though I'm planning on getting the Android based Duo before getting this since I know the app support on Duo is going to be much better.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
"Cleaned up" is the best possible thing that could happen to Windows 10. I'm surprised those live tiles in the start menu lasted as long as they did.

Microsoft makes brilliant hardware, so I'm really hopeful that being forced to re-evaluate what actually matters in the Windows 10 UX will lead to them dialling back some of the work excesses and anachronisms of their software.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Great, so the crossover and touch devices have their own OS now. Can we get the desktop OS back at some point? Not the awful mish mash we have now?

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Ignoring the Simpsons on the TV above, I wonder how this would work with my mixed configuration? I have a 34" 4k ultrawide 3440x1440 flanked x2 24" 1920x1200 screens. This is the best setup I have ever used.

blaGtMj.jpg

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I'm really not feeling it. Foldables are the future, not dual screen. Windows 10 can snap to half on a single screen, and Android can multitask and split to half too. 2 screen OS is just dated. It won't get strong dev support either.

Microsoft, here's what people will want: single screen foldable phone that can run full Windows 10 pro. I want to go from 2 devices to 1. I don't want a dual screen Android phone and I don't want a watered down Windows dual screen tablet. It needs to be domain joinable and run ***everything*** full Windows can run. I suppose I would consider a foldable phone from surface but absolutely not a dual screen. The hinge down the middle ruins full screen content consumption and I don't want to watch on just half of my screen real estate.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I'm really not feeling it. Foldables are the future, not dual screen. Windows 10 can snap to half on a single screen, and Android can multitask and split to half too. 2 screen OS is just dated. It won't get strong dev support either.

Microsoft, here's what people will want: single screen foldable phone that can run full Windows 10 pro. I want to go from 2 devices to 1. I don't want a dual screen Android phone and I don't want a watered down Windows dual screen tablet. It needs to be domain joinable and run ***everything*** full Windows can run. I suppose I would consider a foldable phone from surface but absolutely not a dual screen. The hinge down the middle ruins full screen content consumption and I don't want to watch on just half of my screen real estate.

Windows 10 Pro will likely never go away for a long time. Windows 10 Pro will simply only be used for Businesses, Developers, and maybe Gamers. But everything else Windows 10X going to be it. 10X is definitely going to be mainstream whether people like it or not.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017

I'm all for foldables but I'm still on the camp that foldables aren't ready yet. From my time with the Galaxy Fold it's just to fragile in terms of hardware still. I would honestly rather have a Surface Neo (and the eventual Duo) than anything foldable at this point right now. I don't think Microsoft is making the worst bet.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I'm all for foldables but I'm still on the camp that foldables aren't ready yet. From my time with the Galaxy Fold it's just to fragile in terms of hardware still. I would honestly rather have a Surface Neo (and the eventual Duo) than anything foldable at this point right now. I don't think Microsoft is making the worst bet.
Fold was their first try. They're improving their folding design constantly as we just saw with the Z reveal. If fold 2 comes with any problems that gen 1 had then yeah the Duo will be the more stable device. The reveal and impressions will be very interesting.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's for the new Surface Neo, but any manufacturer can use it if they have a device with two screens.

8jsHGBQ.gif
That device looks horribly over-engineered. Why does the keyboard cover half the bottom screen? What's the use case for the other screen? An elaborate touchpad at that point?

I guess it's good they made a custom UI because it's sure going to need it.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I hope the design language of this OS filters down to proper Windows 10, even if the functionality will not be the same.

A lot of smart and sensible choices here.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
That device looks horribly over-engineered. Why does the keyboard cover half the bottom screen? What's the use case for the other screen? An elaborate touchpad at that point?

I guess it's good they made a custom UI because it's sure going to need it.
Watch the presentation. You can use the device in several configurations. The keyboard is magnetic and removable... completely optional depending on the mode you want to use.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Windows 10 Pro will likely never go away for a long time. Windows 10 Pro will simply only be used for Businesses, Developers, and maybe Gamers. But everything else Windows 10X going to be it. 10X is definitely going to be mainstream whether people like it or not.

Lol, were you one of the people who said that about Windows RT?

It isn't.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
UI looks great and nearly consistent for once on Windows. I'm excited for when they eventually bring this to desktops