• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
(TW: descriptions of sexual assault)

Geez, First Jeremy Soule and Alex Holowka and now this, WTF game developers?

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Good. Expose more. Let them feel the consequences.

Edit:

What surprises me in this case is the fact that others told her to stay quiet. Wtf?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People did say this might be gaming's MeToo moment... fucking hell.

Reading through these women's accounts is devastating. My heart goes out to them, it's incredibly brave to come out with this stuff.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm glad more pieces of garbage are getting exposed. I know it's incredibly hard for victims of abuse to speak out, but I'm always glad they do so we can act on the abusers. Hopefully this will give the courage to more victims to speak out.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Their office is about a five minute walk from mine. They seem to have staffed up heavily in the last few months as i always see people walking around the town with their Lanywards and Fleeces.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Seriously, is it really that difficult to not sexually assault someone?

Well done to those speaking out, it's a brave thing to do.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Hope these catch on fire and inspire many victims of sexual abuse in the gaming industry to come forward.

Men are shitty.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Power corrupts people.
No. Don't make excuses. These people were always corrupt, their position of power is simply an enabler. Not to mention sociopaths famously strive for power from a young age so they can get what they want.

The vast majority of people in powerful positions (many more powerful than "Senior Tools Programmer" too) maintain their human values.
Hope these catch on fire and inspire many victims of sexual abuse in the gaming industry to come forward.

Men are shitty.
Agree with your first sentence.

But regarding your second.. Yes, these men are the lowest scum of human existence. The vast majority of men are not sexual predators though.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Keep exposing these fucks. Disgusting all around and glad people are finding the voice to come out on things.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
People that were telling her (or anyone else for that matter) should be exposed to. Fuck those that defend pieces of shit

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. Don't make excuses. These people were always corrupt, their position of power is simply an enabler. Not to mention sociopaths famously strive for power from a young age so they can get what they want.

The vast majority of people in powerful positions (many more powerful than "Senior Tools Programmer" too) that maintain their human values.
We need to stop making excuses for assholes, as if they are actually good people who just fell into being assholes.
Who said that was an excuse? And no, I don't believe that they came out of the womb with the intention of being sexual predators, I believe that they were conditioned to be desensitized to that stuff. That doesn't make it acceptable, but if you guys seriously think that it's just an issue of the individual and not an issue with society in general, how do you propose we change this? Because by your beliefs it's inevitable and there is nothing we can do. My belief is that toxic masculinity, sexism, capitalism, etc. promotes inequality and domination, and thus allows this stuff to perpetuate.

Oct 27, 2017
Power corrupts people.

Oh, nice. For a moment I thought these men would need to take personal responsibility for their acts. You dodged a bullet, guys!

Come on, now.

Who said that was an excuse? And no, I don't believe that they came out of the womb with the intention of being sexual predators, I believe that they were conditioned to be desensitized to that stuff. That doesn't make it acceptable, but if you guys seriously think that it's just an issue of the individual and not an issue with society in general, how do you propose we change this? Because by your beliefs it's inevitable and there is nothing we can do. My belief is that toxic masculinity, sexism, capitalism, etc. promotes inequality and domination, and thus allows this stuff to perpetuate.

The fact that these cases are found across all social strata shows that "power corrupts" has nothing to do with this.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit out of the loop, why are there so many threads of developers being accused of something on the main page so suddenly?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
You didn't say any of that in the post we quoted.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh, nice. For a moment I thought these men would need to take personal responsibility for their acts. You dodged a bullet, guys!

Come on, now.
When did I say he shouldn't take responsibility?
No - it just enables them.
Again, I don't believe that people are just born naturally evil or good, I believe circumstance has a lot to do with it. Again, that doesn't mean he isn't responsible, but if we want to mitigate this in the future we need to accept that societal norms are a huge reason for this happening.
You didn't say any of that in the post we quoted.
Well, then maybe you shouldn't have assumed what I meant?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
sad shit. glad these victims are feeling empowered to come forward.

and yeah, this is a problem in pretty much every industry. we men are traaaash. but reading these stories is fucking heartbreaking nonetheless.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime it is someone with power (even not much) on you, a lot will tell you that. This is the whole story of Weinstein.

Unfortunately I think it's a lot simpler than that. Don't rock the boat, the greater "good," think about the company, and all that jazz.

This I agree with. But this is completely different from "power corrupts."

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
People that were telling her (or anyone else for that matter) should be exposed to. Fuck those that defend pieces of shit
I mean.. they are probably her friends who knew that there could be intense backlash and sidelining that goes along with going public. Remember that these are people she trusted enough to talk to about what happened. I doubt that these people are "defending" pieces of shit, and it would help not to paint with broad paint strokes. Not every woman is going to step forward, and I wouldn't pressure them all to do so in every situation either. But, every victim should be supported and all the more so if they've decided to face the added trauma of revealing it publicly. Fantastic that victims are speaking up together, it must make it so much easier knowing that there is attention and that women are being heard (at least a little). Like others have said, I expect many more now..

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately I think it's a lot simpler than that. Don't rock the boat, the greater "good," think about the company, and all that jazz.

This I agree with. But this is completely different from "power corrupts."
Don't you think that the patriarchal system inherently gives men power over women?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Power corrupts people.
No no no. People who already have issue (it can only be anger issue) will probably do nothing to control those when they are in power.
Power is very relative. Everyone have power over something / someone. You have power on kids, on yours kids (if you have one), on pets, ...

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It's not power that's causing this, it's rape culture. Men are made to believe they are owed women's bodies, it's all over media. As with a lot of social problems, it all comes back to fucking sexism.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today potentially marks the beginning of #MeToo2/GamingMeToo. At least I hope it does. It'll be messy, some gaming icons might fall from grace, and the GamerGate goblins will be out in full force (I mean, just look at the Ion Fury debacle), but it'll all be worth it in the end.

If it truly is the beginning of that though, one thing I wonder is whether the Japanese industry will be involved as well. They should be of course, as rape and sexual assault aren't a uniquely Western problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if nothing comes out of this on the Japanese front because of pressure and how suppressed women's voices tend to be in Japanese culture.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No no no. People who already have issue (it can only be anger issue) will probably do nothing to control those when they are in power.
Power is very relative. Everyone have power over something / someone. You have power on kids, on yours kids (if you have one), on pets, ...
Yes, power is relative, but usually the more power you have the easier it is to get away with this stuff.
It's not power that's causing this, it's rape culture. Men are made to believe they are owed women's bodies, it's all over media. As with a lot of social problems, it all comes back to fucking sexism.
And you don't think sexism is related to power? Sexism wouldn't exist without men having power over women.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you think that the patriarchal system inherently gives men power over women?

Yes. But let's be real, no one says power corrupts because they are thinking of the patriarchy. They are using it like drunkeness, an easy way to handwave bad behavior as a product of circumstances rather than character.

Oct 27, 2017
When did I say he shouldn't take responsibility?

Again, I don't believe that people are just born naturally evil or good, I believe circumstance has a lot to do with it. Again, that doesn't mean he isn't responsible, but if we want to mitigate this in the future we need to accept that societal norms are a huge reason for this happening.

Well, then maybe you shouldn't have assumed what I meant?

You said nothing. You came into this thread, dropped your platitude and only came back because people called you out. And now you're trying to shift the blame to everyone who took you at face value and didn't assume your "power corrupts" rhetoric wasn't an excuse for this behavior.

Next time you want to say something, say it. Don't expect everyone to infer what you mean from three words. But I see you're doubling down on your stance and everyone else is to blame because they don't get you... So, OK.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
And you don't think sexism is related to power? Sexism wouldn't exist without men having power over women.
Our society certainly has given men power over many things, including women. But I don't think that's what causes sexual assault, it merely allows it to happen. It's when that power is paired with the systemic belief that women owe them their bodies and that it's socially acceptable for men to overstep boundaries that leads to sexual assault.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. But let's be real, no one says power corrupts because they are thinking of the patriarchy. They are using it like drunkeness, an easy way to handwave bad behavior as a product of circumstances than character.
Yes, but that does not mean it corrupt people.
You said nothing. You came into this thread, dropped your platitude and only came back because people called you out. And now you're trying to shift the blame to everyone who took you at face value and didn't assume your "power corrupts" rhetoric wasn't an excuse for this behavior.

Next time you want to say something, say it. Don't expect everyone to infer what you mean from three words. But I see you're doubling down on your stance and everyone else is to blame because they don't get you... So, OK.
As I said I don't believe a fetus coming out of the womb is born thinking "Yeah, I'm going to sexually harass people". I think you're underestimating societal circumstances. Like how the Nazis were able to gain so much support in Germany, it's not like people were born wanting to exterminate Jews, they were influenced by the society they grew up in which demonized them. Same with sexual abuse, it's a product of a sexist culture.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Power's a test. You can pass, or you can fail. A lot of men unfortunately fail these tests, and part of that is because they're raised with the belief, conscious or otherwise that they can just take what they want from women and nothing will happen to them.

I'm just waiting for the day that someone whose work I really like gets outed. I feel it's only a matter of time. I mean it's happened a few times but nothing that really hurt me that hard. I guess after a while you just aren't surprised by this anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
As I said I don't believe a fetus coming out of the womb is born thinking "Yeah, I'm going to sexually harass people". I think you're underestimating societal circumstances. Like how the Nazis were able to gain so much support in Germany, it's not like people were born wanting to exterminate Jews, they were influenced by the society they grew up in which demonized them. Same with sexual abuse, it's a product of a sexist culture.

I'll say it again. Come on, now.

You keep saying "He's to blame, but...", which totally invalidates your "I'm not making excuses for him" speech. You do keep excusing this behavior. You're making the abuser seem like the victim of the system.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017

If you need to write 50 words to explain using 2 words, maybe you should just stop using those 2 words.

Do you go around saying Nazis weren't evil, just so that you can explain in detail how Nazis were ultimately a product of their society and not inherently evil themselves, though of course Nazi ideology is evil, and jeez, why can't people just totally infer what you really mean from what little you originally say, it's not like you were condoning Nazis.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
There is three problem here :
  • Rape culture
  • There is more men in a powerful position
  • Interaction between people with different power level (I don't know how to phrase it correctly)
In the subject here, all of this are factors.

A more common problem in offices is about anger. The fucking sexism is also a factor, because men can (must, to be "real" men) be angry.
You ended up being treat like shit in a meeting, and you can do nothing. It is "normal".

But at the end of the day, all of this are just factors, explanations. The truth is, they are shitty person.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Godwin's law !!! really !!!

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll say it again. Come on, now.

You keep saying "He's to blame, but...", which totally invalidates your "I'm not making excuses for him" speech. You do keep excusing this behavior. You're making the abuser seem like the victim of the system.
If you view this as an isolated issue, the only thing that'll happen is that he gets reprimanded, rather than viewing it as a larger issue that needs to be tackled.
If you need to write 50 words to explain using 2 words, maybe you should just stop using those 2 words.

Do you go around saying Nazis weren't evil, just so that you can explain in detail how Nazis were ultimately a product of their society and not inherently evil themselves, though of course Nazi ideology is evil, and jeez, why can't people just totally infer what you really mean from what little you originally say, it's not like you were condoning Nazis.
I mean that I don't think that Nazis were born evil, I think they were conditioned to become such. Implying that people can be born good or evil is religious nonsense that indicates a sense of fate, and I don't believe in fate. I think any one of us could become mass murderers given the right (or I guess, a better term would be wrong) circumstances, and to think that we're immune to that is just self-indulgence. What does this mean? It means that rather than thinking that we're good people, we have to constantly evaluate and assess ourselves to make sure we don't go down a path that leads us to committing heinous acts. It's a lifelong thing, not something merely decided at birth.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that I don't think that Nazis were born evil, I think they were conditioned to become such. Implying that people can be born good or evil is religious nonsense that indicates a sense of fate, and I don't believe in fate. I think any one of us could become mass murderers given the right (or I guess, a better term would be wrong) circumstances, and to think that we're immune to that is just self-indulgence. What does this mean? It means that rather than thinking that we're good people, we have to constantly evaluate and assess ourselves to make sure we don't go down a path that leads us to committing heinous acts. It's a lifelong thing, not something merely decided at birth.

...I'm not actually trying to discuss Nazis, I'm trying to make a point about communicating effectively. But I'm done discussing this, especially when the topic at hand is sexual assault.