• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
Loving it so far (final ep to go!). I feel like this is "War and Peace" though with all the family connections to deal with.

The time periods they picked lead to kinda weird sexual situations though. Everyone is either a teen or late middle aged :P The usual soap opera "everyone is sleeping with everyone else" plotting is either extremely awkward or very sad.
Hannah
that a total scheming witch!!!

I noticed this too. But I think we are supposed to dismiss it and just trust that there are people in their 20's in Winden lol But if you think about it, I do think that due people in their 20's choosing big cities over towns, it might sound a little less surreal.

About her, I feel that even her relationship with her son is a little cold. She was always obsessed with Ulrich, I can't see how she managed to even have that marriage.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Oh my, the possibilities of Noah's machinations and meddlings are endless! We need season 2 asap, otherwise our brains will turn to juice with all the speculation.

I most definitely agree with the dub being pretty unpleasant. The "americanised" pronunciation of all the names alone makes this a big no-no in my opinion. I posted my question a page or two earlier about how American dubbing is handled: Is it always done this way? Does the pronunciation of French or Japanese names get "americanised" as well? I find that practice pretty bizarre to be honest.

The thing about dubbing in the US is how rare it is. Outside of a couple of foreign films like Train to Busan, everything is native in English. Most stuff is shot in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia.

When I've visited central and South America, most content is dubbed American media or straight up English native US media. I think Peru had a few Peruvian channels.

We tend to Americanize pronunciations with the exception of some Spanish. For example we say Loss Anguluz but also proper San Antonio or El Paso. But I think we consistently fuck up French. Eg, New OurLuns or VurSails.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about dubbing in the US is how rare it is. Outside of a couple of foreign films like Train to Busan, everything is native in English. Most stuff is shot in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia.

When I've visited central and South America, most content is dubbed American media or straight up English native US media. I think Peru had a few Peruvian channels.

We tend to Americanize pronunciations with the exception of some Spanish. For example we say Loss Anguluz but also proper San Antonio or El Paso. But I think we consistently fuck up French. Eg, New OurLuns or VurSails.

The thing you said about South America is really true. In Brazil, we have a lot of local content, but when it comes to dramas and film, except the soap operas, 90% of our movies and TV shows are imported from the US and dubbed. The voices even achieve certain popularity, especially among the nerd and otaku community [Saint Seiya and Dragon Ball started this phenomenon here]. There is even a certain understanding that the thing about Americans making remakes of foreign movies and TV shows [Like Oldboy, Les Revenants, this type of remake] is due to their rejection of watching content in a different culture and language.

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
There is even a certain understanding that the thing about Americans making remakes of foreign movies and TV shows [Like Oldboy, Les Revenants, this type of remake] is due to their rejection of watching content in a different culture and language.

Well yes, it _is_ very obviously the reason for all those remakes. Is anyone seriously doubting that?

And back to the thread's topic: Watch Netflix do an americanised remake of Dark, taking place in a small town in the Pacific Northwest with an all American cast, in a couple of years—and suddenly and magically it will actually be reviewed and reacted to by every TV series critic and vlogger on YouTube and suddenly and magically we'll have a 60 page thread on Era, not a 6 page one. ;-)

…or rather :-(

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Americans are too lazy to read subtitles, it is known. Well, German's are too, since we are dubbing everything. I am personally watching everything in the original dub.

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
Americans are too lazy to read subtitles, it is known. Well, German's are too, since we are dubbing everything. I am personally watching everything in the original dub.

Well, it's not so much about reading subtitles or doing proper dubbing, but about Americans—or to be fair, rather most native English speakers in general—not being very accepting of "weird foreign stuff made by weird people unknown to us". So, if you want to have any sort of big success on that market, you need to ponder to it from the get go. That means producing your thing in English with a well known English speaking cast for starters. Dark seems to prove that point again.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's not so much about reading subtitles or doing proper dubbing, but about Americans—or to be fair, rather most native English speakers in general—not being very accepting of "weird foreign stuff made by weird people unknown to us". So, if you want to have any sort of big success on that market, you need to ponder to it from the get go. That means producing your thing in English with a well known English speaking cast for starters. Dark seems to prove that point again.

I read some horrible leaked things that supposedly members of the Academy said the year that The Tale of Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea were nominated to The Oscars [''I won't watch any of these Chinese fucking things'' and stuff like this] and I think it reflects a lot about the attitude of English speaking audiences towards foreign content. Like you said, isn't about the language [every country dubbs American content, or at least uses subtitles]. It is about being content made by ''the others''.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck at that ending. Fuuuuuuuuck. I need more.

Hands down the best show on netflix for me and one of the best science fiction shows I've had thr pleasure of watching. Its unfortunate subtitles will turn a lot of people off from it.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Nearly done with the series. Really impressed by the production value. Editing is on point and the story is told quite interestingly.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So, I just saw EP 7+8 and am now going to watch the last 2 episodes. Shit just got real. And I mean real real.

I though this show would go into the "Everything is predetermined" direction, but so far it looks like it might take a different turn. I also really didn't think Ulrich would go so far, but damn. Also, the 50s are fucking terriffying.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the last episode. I went in blind because I liked the aesthetics, thinking it would be a horror show. Then in the first scene it was obvious it was going to involve time travel, which is something I'm very anal about the execution.

Ended up being an absolutely fantastic show. I've been seeing a lot of good word of mouth and people I know enjoying this too. I really hope this gets a second season.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
I'm kinda surprised there is not as much, I dunno, Germaness, in the show. Aside from wearing their wedding rings on the right instead of the left the show could have been in the PNW of America with almost no other changes. I really thought there would be some Soviet conspiracy stuff in the 50's or 80's, or at least some East/West German plotlines. And why set it in 2019? I get why they want 1986 for the post-Chernobyl attitude but why not have it be 1955 and 2017 with a 31 year cycle? Is that 33 year stuff a real thing? Anyway, love the show, it just seems very isolated since no one ever calls for government aid or anything. No doubt an American version would have the FBI in the modern period at least. Anyway, I'd compare this show more with Twin Peaks than Stranger Things.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm kinda surprised there is not as much, I dunno, Germaness, in the show. Aside from wearing their wedding rings on the right instead of the left the show could have been in the PNW of America with almost no other changes. I really thought there would be some Soviet conspiracy stuff in the 50's or 80's, or at least some East/West German plotlines. And why set it in 2019? I get why they want 1986 for the post-Chernobyl attitude but why not have it be 1955 and 2017 with a 31 year cycle? Is that 33 year stuff a real thing? Anyway, love the show, it just seems very isolated since no one ever calls for government aid or anything. No doubt an American version would have the FBI in the modern period at least. Anyway, I'd compare this show more with Twin Peaks than Stranger Things.

It definitely has non US mannerisms. Virtually no humor, very stoic. Not super common in western media.

dancingcactus

Oct 28, 2017
I've liked this show a lot more than Stranger Things. I like the serious, dark tone very much. Here's hoping there will be a season 2.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
And why set it in 2019? I get why they want 1986 for the post-Chernobyl attitude but why not have it be 1955 and 2017 with a 31 year cycle? Is that 33 year stuff a real thing?

I believe since it is a show with references to religion, mysticism and scatology, the 33 is related to numerology as well [1986 and 1953 and all the 3 multipliers]. And since 33 is the age that Jesus died, I think they wanted to incorporate the mystic of the Trinity into the show, with the triquetra and everything.

Also, I believe that things set in the future keep their magic a little more. Like, it 'will' happen in 2 years.

krudd

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
London, UK
Started watching this over the weekend. Really enjoying it so far but annoyed that Netflix keeps resetting the show to watch with English dubbing with each episode. I prefer the subtitles.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
darkkfq8v.png

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely has non US mannerisms. Virtually no humor, very stoic. Not super common in western media.

yup, very much felt like a european production. funny because i just got done watching Wasteland (an HBO czech drama) before I binged this and plots and characters from both shows melted together in my head, the tone was so similar

Last edited:

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
God damn this was great. I'm a sucker for closed time loop time travel, as it's pretty much the only ones that make sense, and this did it wonderfully. Seeing things click into place as the different time periods interacted was immensely satisfying, and the central mystery held really strongly throughout. It was also fucking gorgeous, and the sound track did a lot of work too.

I also got the feeling that the tunnels Jonas used weren't the only ways to travel through the caves. I think both Mikkel and the dog found other passageways back to 86 that didn't involve the tunnels.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm liking it so far, exactly halfway through. I want to get my family hooked on it, but they'll probably ball when I tell them it's better to watch it in German w/ subtitles instead of dubbed.

yado

Oct 25, 2017
wait who was the guy with the black stuff streaming down his face the night Mikkel dissapeared? He was also in the tunnel with Jonas when he was closing the loop

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
This was great!! Loved it!

One this I'm calling right now, I read some of the discussion earlier about Noah vs. Claudia and the light/dark thing: you're still stuck in looking at this from a dualistic point of view. Everything has three sides here. There is a third party involved.

The eyes could be a hint. We have blue eyed noah, dark eyed Stranger, Blue eyes Jonas, dark eyed Bartosz and if I'm not mistaken, future Claudia had heterochromia right? What if Bartosz grows up to be the stranger, Jonas to be Noah and Claudia is the third party?

Thinking about a show like this feels like Lost. Almost sad that this isn't a weekly show.

BlueBikinis

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the soundtrack in this show is just perfect. The wife and I are really enjoying the it so far. On to episode 4!

gir

Oct 25, 2017
wonder if season 2 will release next year or in 2 years, guess it depends on how popular it is

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
wonder if season 2 will release next year or in 2 years, guess it depends on how popular it is

If the cast is available I don't think it would take very long to start and finish filming. Not tons of sets, and for those that there are it's mostly a matter of swapping out furniture and cars per time period.

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
If the cast is available I don't think it would take very long to start and finish filming. Not tons of sets, and for those that there are it's mostly a matter of swapping out furniture and cars per time period.

I dunno, this show is RIDICULOUSLY scripted out. Unless they want to descend into a Lost-style pit of dropped plots and unresolvable mysteries they need to take time with the script. So many unanswered questions from S1 makes it obvious that they are at least thinking that far ahead, but unless they were writing scripts already thats gonna take some time. Plus mad max world looks expensive. I don't need every scene to be in front of that school again, I'm cool with them taking some time with S2.

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
Just got done watching all of it
Jonas is the guy from the future...weird cause he looks nothing like him. Wouldnt it make more sense that Jonas is Noah? Noah hugs '86 Helge and says "everything will be ok" and teenage Jonas in '19 hugs his mother and says "everything will be ok" as well before he leaves to the cave 1 last time.
Also, the last scene had me all like:
xmen-xavieryells.jpg

I dont want your futchaaa
xmen-xavieryells.jpg

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why the boys had those horrible burns and also broken eardrums. None of the 'cabin' experiments worked?

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Watched it with my girlfriend. Last week, three episodes in, we met a friend of hers and talked about the show recommending it to her. After watching the whole thing, I'd take back my recommendation. It started out ok, but got progressively shittier as episodes went by.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Currently on episode 7, it took 'till the third one to really get together a bit but really enjoyed it till now.
I'm a sucker for time manipulation stuff though.

teseR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why the boys had those horrible burns and also broken eardrums. None of the 'cabin' experiments worked?

The way I understood it, they tried to send the boys through time but it didn't work out. The kids got their eyes burned and eardrums broken in that mirror chair but still travelled through time. That would explain why the kids got spewed out in different times 53/86/19.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
The way I understood it, they tried to send the boys through time but it didn't work out. The kids got their eyes burned and eardrums broken in that mirror chair but still travelled through time. That would explain why the kids got spewed out in different times 53/86/19.

True - it kinda worked, even they dying in the process. I wonder if the objective was just test if they could send people through time or if the boys had some specific task in the time period they were sent too.

This connects well with the time war theme. While 'Claudia's team' has the H.G. Tannhaus' machine; while Noah and Helge were fucking up with the failed mirror chair - even Noah despising the Tannhaus machine

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Keeping my eyes closed browsing this topic since I only just finished episode 6. By far the best one yet. Everything's clicking me for now, and it's awesome.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Holy shit, just finished this and it's great! My wife and I loved every second of it.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Maybe the mismatch in appearance is intentional, like a multiverse thing with different possible parents depending on decisions. Or maybe it's just casting issues.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
This show is amazing. It does so many things so well. Great mystery and thriller. Loving it. I can not wait for season 2. The cliffhanger was perfect lol