• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
5a21ce253339b0eb048b463b-750-562.png

So I need this jacket. #imnotkiddingithink

mi1es

Nov 7, 2017
Finished this show in 3 nights. Completely hooked. The intro is great. Not only does it sound cool but literally everything you see is part of the season. One of the ones that makes me ignore the skip button.

I was extremely impressed with this show overall. I feel they might not have the budget to handle a season 2 the way it's going now. Regardless.. I want more.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
I hope this show does well, was totally hooked just a few minutes into episode 1. Finished it in a few days with my girlfriend, there are so many things and characters to keep up with (I loved that) that I was increadibly happy to watch it together with someone, we kept balling ideas and explaining things to eachother.

Show is easily 10/10 and I need a second season.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A German TV show that is actually good and well directed and acted? I honestly didn't even think that was possible considering how terrible they usually are (i'm German btw...), i'm intrigued will give it a watch over the weekend.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
Finished it today after a few nights! Quite a ride, but it does seem like the sort of show that could shit the bed very easily unless they have a watertight multi-season plan, so I'm just praying that the eventual continuation keeps things exciting plot-wise. Second seasons are usually when shows jump the shark and do something stupid, and there are a hell of a lot of stupid directions this could go in if they don't keep control of the tone.

But on the whole, it really appeals to me. Beautiful visuals and sound design (and that addictive title sequence!) I felt a lot of the drama was a bit "I bet character A will dramatically slap character B now...yep" but the number of wild twists and turns made it consistently entertaining, even if a couple were anticlimactic. The interpersonal drama juxtaposes surprisingly well with the cosmic drama, which I guess is the cleverness of the core conceit, since it all ultimately boils down to the connections between characters.
Plus I just love the way they use the cave system. It's gritty, gothic and grounded and such a better metaphor for excavating hidden histories than just jumping in some machine.

I'm going to make a wild guess about something they may pull later...
The conversation where Mikkel said he was both the person and the butterfly, then revealed the duplicate sugar cubes, got me thinking. I reckon there are going to end up being two versions of Mikkel/Michael - one from our timeline, and one from a timeline where he was somehow saved - and reality is glitching around him as a result. Jonas' ghostly visions of his father covered in black fluid will somehow be the 'other' one trying to break through.

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't get why you get into 1986 when you go right and 1953 when you go left. Going back is present. How do you go to 2052?

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the season, took me 3 days. Amazing, I loved it from beginning to end. The best show I've seen in quite a while. I didn't think I would find a show I'd love more than Stranger Things so soon, but this blew it out of the water.

Time travel with all its paradoxes has always been my favorite genre/plot device, but I don't think that even plays a major role in why I love this show. It's just a class act production from writing, to acting, cinematography, music, etc.

Not going to hold high hopes for a follow up season. The cynic in me doubts they can catch lighting in a bottle twice, but we'll see.

Gun

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the show, but the last scene made me worried about the second season
not a fan of the post apocalyptic future
And I know that this was only the first season, but I was expecting a little more answers, because they keep throwing new mysteries in every episode

But overall I really liked the show

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I really want a second season, but I fell like this works perfectly as a standalone. All the main mysteries and character connections were shown or explained. I don't see the need to go into who built those doors in the caves or stuff like that, and the ending isn't really a cliffhanger — it's just to confirm that Future!Jonas came from a wasteland after a nuclear fallout and wanted to set things right.

The main plot is about Jonas being thrown into a future wasteland, then going back to the past to destroy the wormhole and creating the wormhole himself. After creating the wormhole he sets the stage for Mikkel to go to the past and become his father. Everything else was (really good) character drama influenced by time shenanigans, all of which had proper arcs. Claudia and Noah influence the events each in their own ways, but that doesn't need to be explicitly shown either as there were enough hints to how they operated.

The only thing that was truly left in the open was Noah, because we don't exactly know his motivations and he's the only one we don't see developing into what he became. But that also works standalone as long as you assume Bartosz is Past!Noah and Noah was influencing his past self to become him.

Second season can work with Jonas finding out he creates the wormhole and trying to break the cycle to save Mikkel somehow. The focus can also shift from Jonas to Bartosz and how he deals with Noah (and maybe also changing what he originally did). They would have to start working with separate timelines, but I don't see anywhere else this story can go as of now that isn't just showing us more details about what we already know, even though there's a lot of potential for more character work.

The script needs to be airtight though, it's part of what made the first season this excellent. Time travel stories can shit the bed with extreme ease and I'd hate to see it happen with this one.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017
I really wanted to like this show but besides the atmosphere, its story, characters and the mystery just didnt keep me hooked at all so I had to drop it. What a shame :\.

FactOrFiction

Oct 28, 2017
A German TV show that is actually good and well directed and acted? I honestly didn't even think that was possible considering how terrible they usually are (i'm German btw...), i'm intrigued will give it a watch over the weekend.

Give it a shot. It's the best German movie/show I watched after "das experiment" and I hate German movies/shows. You have to get used to the typical German names and acting but the show is worth it imho.

Episode 6/7/8? is when the show gets really really good.

Though there are a lot of open questions in the end. Hopefully there will be a second season.

As someone mentioned. The production is great. I especially loved the forest shots with some houses peaking (?) through the trees. Sogood.gif

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I watched this over a couple of days this week and absolutely loved it. It was so intricately plotted and had stunning cinematography. I thought the acting was great, but I don't speak German (I watched with English subs).

Some speculation: If Jonas ended up in (presumably) 2052, then is Future Jonas from 2085? Wondering if he somehow gets stuck in 2052 and grows up there.

I think I'm one of the few who pegged the Stranger as Future Jonas. I was watching it with my wife (who had already made it through the season). A few minutes into episode 3 I asked if that was the case and she gave me a WTF look.

Consider this a thread bump for resettlers looking for a show to watch. It's awesome. :D

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Some speculation: If Jonas ended up in (presumably) 2052, then is Future Jonas from 2085? Wondering if he somehow gets stuck in 2052 and grows up there.

never thought of that, but now i think of it, i imagine that's how it'll play out

never suspected the stranger was Jonas simply because they look so different but i keep forgetting it's a show and there's virtually no way to properly "age" characters. not without nutzo production costs

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The show is fantastic and the cast is spot-on (marvelous how they managed to cast the right people that resemble their characters future/present/past selves).

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
I have seen the light with this series. It's the first time I watch a series with time travel that has no incoherence, everything is logical, everything happens as it should and is revealed at the right moment. And I'm not talking about the wonderful photography, the astounding soundtrack and I love those German forests.
Watching something in German was refreshing and I can finally improve my German with some good shit to watch. This first season has set very very very high standards, I hope they don't shit the bed in the 2nd one. This series is the Holy Grail of this year, clearly.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I have seen the light with this series. It's the first time I watch a series with time travel that has no incoherence, everything is logical, everything happens as it should and is revealed at the right moment. And I'm not talking about the wonderful photography, the astounding soundtrack and I love those German forests.
Watching something in German was refreshing and I can finally improve my German with some good shit to watch. This first season has set very very very high standards, I hope they don't shit the bed in the 2nd one. This series is the Holy Grail of this year, clearly.
Hey, try "Tatortreiniger". It's a comedy series (no laughtrack) about a guy who cleans up crime scenes. It's literally the best thing Germany has produced in a long time, besides Dark.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm on episode 2 -

I have a question. Where is Jonas chilling? He's in some cabin in the forest and finds some document stuck in the ceiling panel.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished this yesterday. It was very good.

I would have cut 1/3 of the cast just to make it a little easier to digest.

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I watched this over a couple of days this week and absolutely loved it. It was so intricately plotted and had stunning cinematography. I thought the acting was great, but I don't speak German (I watched with English subs).

I think I'm one of the few who pegged the Stranger as Future Jonas. I was watching it with my wife (who had already made it through the season). A few minutes into episode 3 I asked if that was the case and she gave me a WTF look.

Consider this a thread bump for resettlers looking for a show to watch. It's awesome. :D

The stranger looks exactly like Jonas in 10 years with mud and bad facial hair. I thought it was him based simply on the likeness.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The stranger looks exactly like Jonas in 10 years with mud and bad facial hair. I thought it was him based simply on the likeness.
Yeah, after Jonas started getting knee deep into time traveling I imagined it was him too. I'm surprised so many people in this thread think they look nothing alike.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished this series on Monday, after watching all the episodes over 3 or 4 days. I kind of sat thinking about the show from time to time, letting it digest while at work yesterday. It took a couple episodes for me to get into, but I really enjoyed it. I'll admit I'm a sucker for anything with time travel, though.

I agree with the thought that there may be too many characters, which is made even more difficult (for me, at least) with trying to keep track of them from different timelines. But I don't think I'd want them to change or cut anything. If anything, I may go back and watch the series again, which is something I never do.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wasn't there a German show last year about the 80s in East Germany?
I read it about on GAF back then.

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017

Babylon Berlin is quite good too. Not awesome like DARK but still better than your usual Tatort. Not sure when it airs in the US though.

Last edited:

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really liked the opening sex scene in the first episode, what a milf.

Otherwise, I was exploring a new flight sim while watching the 2nd and third episodes, so I missed some details. What I've watched is good though. Question- Any more milf sex?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why you get into 1986 when you go right and 1953 when you go left. Going back is present. How do you go to 2052?
I was confused about this at first, but then remembered Jonas sets off the machine in 1986 during the speech about past, present, future. So 1986 is the center point (the present), '53 is the past, and 2019 is the future. Jonas gets to 2052 via the wormhole anomaly which probably doesn't follow the rules of the cave. The only question is how does Claudia come and go from that time?

Steeven

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it but I had a hard time keeping track of all the characters. A lot of the times I was confused who was who. I did not like the ending though.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
So hyped Dark is getting a season 2. I finally watched the finale last night and good god damn, if the show had ended on that cliffhanger I may have never recovered.