• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the show, but as with anything involving time travel there are some things I need answering!

How can there be more than one version of:

Mikkel/Michael's letter to Jonas
Claudia's 'time machine' box
Helge

I can kind of get my head around the letter and the box but the Helge thing is confusing the shit out of me because for there to be a 70+ year old Helge running around in 2019 his entire timeline has to be pretty much constant doesn't it? So how are there two Helge's?

Helge actually screwed up his chance to alter the timeline by attempting to kill his younger self in the car accident. Old Helge died, and 1986 Helge suffered a head injury thus resulting in his dementia. The head injury and dementia later on is what causes Helge to become unable to thwart Noah's whole plan, and as a result he's stuck in his own loop of trying to take out his younger self and failing. Basically it's a closed loop, and the tragic thing is that if old Helge hadn't failed to kill 1986 Helge in the accident then 1986 Helge could potentially have figured out how to stop Noah on his own.

Last edited:

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the show, but as with anything involving time travel there are some things I need answering!

How can there be more than one version of:

Mikkel/Michael's letter to Jonas
Claudia's 'time machine' box
Helge

I can kind of get my head around the letter and the box but the Helge thing is confusing the shit out of me because for there to be a 70+ year old Helge running around in 2019 his entire timeline has to be pretty much constant doesn't it? So how are there two Helge's?
The letter: Jonas burns the future version of it, then Ines gives him the past version. Semi-linearly it's basically:
Mikkel writes it > Ines gets it > Ines gives it to Jonas > Jonas becomes an adult and travels back in time > Adult Jonas gives it to Young Jonas > Young Jonas burns the letter Adult Jonas gave him (and gets the earlier version from Ines so he can give it to his younger self much later).

Time machine: It's the same box, but one is from the future. Claudia gives Tannhaus the blueprint for the time machine, which he builds, and Jonas brings him the same machine from the future. The machine only exists and works because of a combo of paradoxes: Tannhaus builds one because someone from the future told him how to do it after he already built it. And only completes it because he sees the completed version from the future.
Old Claudia goes to 1953 to give Tannhaus the blueprint for the machine > Tannhaus writes A Journey Through Time > Adult Helge gives Adult Claudia the book in 1986 > Claudia gets invested in time travel because of the nuclear plant + book + ???, then starts meddling with the loops, including getting Tannhaus on the right track with the machine in 1953 > Jonas brings Tannhaus a future, working version of the machine, which leads him to actually complete it.

Helge: There's only one Helge per time period and it's the same version of him, just older — Kid in 1953, Adult in 1986 (working as a cleaner) and Old in 2019. Old Helge travels back from 2019 to 1986 to stop Adult Helge and dies in the process when he hits him with the car. Then Old Helge becomes a disappearance in 2019 and a dead unknown person in 1986. Adult Helge survives, grows old, then travels back in time to try to kill himself (and fail, because he forgot about the car accident due to the dementia).

Last edited:

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Really enjoyed the show, feels sorta like a more advanced/mature Stranger Things in a way.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoyed the show. There were a few things that seemed a bit rushed in the end.

This is actually a show I would of very much enjoyed ending and not continuing. When we get to the part in the last episode
Where the Noah is talking to Bartosz Tiedemannin the car about how Jonas taking the time machine into the black hole to destroy it was necessary and calculated already. I think it would of added to the already great story and shown that no matter how all of these characters are trying to change events, they can't

I am not going to argue against more of course, but its one of the few shows that I would of been happy to end right there. For now that's kinda where I personally see the show ended and the last few minutes are extra. Well see what Season 2 has to bring!

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
The letter: Jonas burns the future version of it, then Ines gives him the past version. Semi-linearly it's basically:
Mikkel writes it > Ines gets it > Ines gives it to Jonas > Jonas becomes an adult and travels back in time > Adult Jonas gives it to Young Jonas > Young Jonas burns the letter Adult Jonas gave him (and gets the earlier version from Ines so he can give it to his younger self much later).

Time machine: It's the same box, but one is from the future. Claudia gives Tannhaus the blueprint for the time machine, which he builds, and Jonas brings him the same machine from the future. The machine only exists and works because of a combo of paradoxes: Tannhaus builds one because someone from the future told him how to do it after he already built it. And only completes it because he sees the completed version from the future.
Old Claudia goes to 1953 to give Tannhaus the blueprint for the machine > Tannhaus writes A Journey Through Time > Adult Helge gives Adult Claudia the book in 1986 > Claudia gets invested in time travel because of the nuclear plant + book + ???, then starts meddling with the loops, including getting Tannhaus on the right track with the machine in 1953 > Jonas brings Tannhaus a future, working version of the machine, which leads him to actually complete it.

Helge: There's only one Helge per time period and it's the same version of him, just older — Kid in 1953, Adult in 1986 (working as a cleaner) and Old in 2019. Old Helge travels back from 2019 to 1986 to stop Adult Helge and dies in the process when he hits him with the car. Then Old Helge becomes a disappearance in 2019 and a dead unknown person in 1986. Adult Helge survives, grows old, then travels back in time to try to kill himself (and fail, because he forgot about the car accident due to the dementia).

Great post man, thanks for this.
Just a couple of things left to clarify: 44 year old Helge, in 1986, is definitely doing some time travelling, right? This explains why we see him as a 44 year old in 2019 disposing of a body and also why Ulrich's mother saw him 33 years apart but he hadn't aged.

And if all of the above is true, doesn't a time travelling 11 year old Helge kind of mess that complete timeline up? I guess the only way around this would be if he was taken straight back to 1953, probably by Noah?

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Great post man, thanks for this.
Just a couple of things left to clarify: 44 year old Helge, in 1986, is definitely doing some time travelling, right? This explains why we see him as a 44 year old in 2019 disposing of a body and also why Ulrich's mother saw him 33 years apart but he hadn't aged.

And if all of the above is true, doesn't a time travelling 11 year old Helge kind of mess that complete timeline up? I guess the only way around this would be if he was taken straight back to 1953, probably by Noah?
Ah yeah, definitely. Kid and Adult Helge were doing more time traveling for sure, but we don't know the exact reasons why (likely under Noah's orders). I think it's safe to assume Kid Helge was taken back to 1953 to lead a slightly normal life and become familiar with the rest of the town, which led him to work at the nuclear plant sometime before 1986 and start kidnapping kids. He also has his son Peter at some point, so Kid Helge has to have gone back to 1953 to grow up and get involved with his wife (we don't know who she is yet).

Noah and everyone connected to him (Helge, Bartosz, and Claudia to an extent) are the most obscure aspect of the show so far. I expect the second season will have a bigger focus on them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Introduced the show to my friends last night, I think the biggest barrier isn't the german dub but the huge number of characters they throw at you pretty rapidly. My friends were paying attention and having trouble keeping track.

Rewatching the show is such a treat - everything clicks and all those niggling questions you had make sense.

One thing that didn't though was the Stranger in his room writing "WHEN IS MIKKEL" - shouldn't he already know exactly when Mikkel is?

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Introduced the show to my friends last night, I think the biggest barrier isn't the german dub but the huge number of characters they throw at you pretty rapidly. My friends were paying attention and having trouble keeping track.

Rewatching the show is such a treat - everything clicks and all those niggling questions you had make sense.

One thing that didn't though was the Stranger in his room writing "WHEN IS MIKKEL" - shouldn't he already know exactly when Mikkel is?
He was just correcting the headline. The question wasn't "Where" is he, it was "When" is he.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

Dude was meticulously planning each of his steps. As you could see with the wall of his room, he was collecting whatever information he could. "When is Mikkel" is a correction he made exactly because he knows.

Edit: Killthee was faster?! No.. I can correct this. I can go back...

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I haven't rewatched yet but I'm definitely looking forward to it. Best part about rewatching this will be looking at conversations in a different light once you know who's who and how they're all connected. The way this show connected everyone in the multiple timelines was great. Also, the casting for the younger / older versions of the cast was on point. 1986 Hannah and Ulrich look exactly like their older selves, and Ulrich is a very unique looking guy too. Whoever did the casting for this show deserves a raise.

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
Man this is going to be hard to pull off in season 2. Felt like too much of a blue ball there.

Doesn't chaos theory make this show kind of pointless if time travel is achievable -since there is every possible outcome-wouldn't it be a nihilistic matter of just being in the time line where we all get pop tarts?

Or is that not chaos theory

Vegeto

Oct 26, 2017
Frankfurt
I am just amazed by the fact, that as a german I watched a german tv show on netflix with a very high production value and people from other countries are enjoying it as well. The show is great and I can't wait to watch season 2. I like time travel stories and all those characters from different eras are so fun to watch. The show was not perfect, but I despise what you can usually see in the german television, so Dark is a great example that we can do great tv shows as well.

Apzu

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
I finished watching the show today, and I have to say It's quite good. I remember reading the first posts here complaining about the acting, which made me postpone watching the series a bit, but I think it wasn't that bad. Guess germans are too tough on their own series höhö.

I have to say though, sometimes I got a bit confused with the characters, it took me a few seconds to relate which character in the future was the one being shown in the past. I'm still not sure if that's all my fault or if it happened because it's a tv show, I mean, if it was a book I'd probably pay more attention to the names and it wouldn't happen, but as a show I guess I thought about the characters first as the actor/actress and the name came in second place hmmm. Anyway, one thing I liked very much about the story is how it doesn't really need a second season, it can be an open end that leads to a second season just as well as a self contained story.

Now just to be sure if I got something right:
Is Bartosz Noah?

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I finished watching the show today, and I have to say It's quite good. I remember reading the first posts here complaining about the acting, which made me postpone watching the series a bit, but I think it wasn't that bad. Guess germans are too tough on their own series höhö.

I have to say though, sometimes I got a bit confused with the characters, it took me a few seconds to relate which character in the future was the one being shown in the past. I'm still not sure if that's all my fault or if it happened because it's a tv show, I mean, if it was a book I'd probably pay more attention to the names and it wouldn't happen, but as a show I guess I thought about the characters first as the actor/actress and the name came in second place hmmm. Anyway, one thing I liked very much about the story is how it doesn't really need a second season, it can be an open end that leads to a second season just as well as a self contained story.

Now just to be sure if I got something right:
Is Bartosz Noah?

No. I betchu Noah is Jonas and Future Jonas is bartaz

GonXtreme

Dec 13, 2017
Moscow
I liked the drama, the setting, the characters... But the whole time travel thing is getting tedious and kinda pointless in my opinion. I just can't understand why characters keep preoccupied with little town shenanigans after discovering time travel. My suspension of disbelief was at an all time low.

PS: They did an awesome work casting most of the present/past/future characters, they actually look really close to their different "versions".

Klean

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Really didn't like this as much as a lot of people. It was all just a bunch of time loop paradoxical crap where nothing mattered.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I just can't understand why characters keep preoccupied with little town shenanigans after discovering time travel. My suspension of disbelief was at an all time low.
How would you react? I thought it was appropriate. They were all trying to make sense of it all to the best of their ability lol.

Apzu

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
I liked the drama, the setting, the characters... But the whole time travel thing is getting tedious and kinda pointless in my opinion. I just can't understand why characters keep preoccupied with little town shenanigans after discovering time travel. My suspension of disbelief was at an all time low.

PS: They did an awesome work casting most of the present/past/future characters, they actually look really close to their different "versions".
I don't know, for most of the characters it kind of made sense. Mikkel had no idea how to time travel, Ulrich had a bit of an idea but failed to get out of the past and Jonas was still coping with the idea of rescuing Mikkel or not to think about anything else. Now if you're talking about Noah, Claudia or miraiJonas then they might as well have done whatever, but they had to go back to small town shenanigans to ensure they could time travel at all.

What I don't get though is how Mikkel didn't use his knowledge about the future to do anything. Sure, he was still a kid and might not know about a lot of useful things from the future, but I'd say knowing about the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989 would be quite useful, also the end of the Soviet Union in 1991.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, for most of the characters it kind of made sense. Mikkel had no idea how to time travel, Ulrich had a bit of an idea but failed to get out of the past and Jonas was still coping with the idea of rescuing Mikkel or not to think about anything else. Now if you're talking about Noah, Claudia or miraiJonas then they might as well have done whatever, but they had to go back to small town shenanigans to ensure they could time travel at all.

What I don't get though is how Mikkel didn't use his knowledge about the future to do anything. Sure, he was still a kid and might not know about a lot of useful things from the future, but I'd say knowing about the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989 would be quite useful, also the end of the Soviet Union in 1991.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at with this though. What could he do?

I think once Mikkel realized he couldn't go back to 2019 on his own, he was just content with trying to forget about it and live a normal life in 1986.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Watched this show over 2 nights with my mother over Christmas, and I loved it. It was her second time watching it, and I actually think watching it with someone conscientous who has seen it before really helps, because holy crap there are a ton of characters, and you have to keep track of some of them across 2-3 timelines by the end. I was having a hard time knowing who was who in each scene to try and predict how this interaction might have influenced their decisions later in life.

Overall I thought it was a brilliantly told time travel story, and I'm hoping they know what they're doing for future seasons, as I could easily see this turning into swiss cheese if they mess it up going forward.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the season, and overall it's an ok show.

Just too many goddamn characters to keep track of! I had to stop and google them. The Nielsens, Dopplers, Kahnwalds, Tiedemanns, then their 3 versions across 1953, 1983 and 2019, bit characters like Yasin and others. And on top of all that, these families are connected due to Mikkel time traveling. Just way too much stuff going on.

Still have lingering questions. So who is Noah? Why are only kids being taken and their eyes burned out? How did Mads' body get dropped into the cellar? Why did Mikkel/Jonas' father hang himself? What was the point of opening letters after specific time and date? I'm just not sure if I want to watch the season again to have my questions answered. Also some scenes were pretentious nonsense. That scene with Martha talking about existentialism in a play went on for too goddamn long. In the end I wanted to groan.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This show was incredible. I ploughed through the season over a couple of days, and I keep mulling over some of the things that happened. There is a lot to keep track of, but the show is pretty forgiving in that aspect, it doesn't expect you to remember every single detail and you don't have to. It even regularly shows montages of the characters through the different timezones so you're better able to keep track of who is who. However, there are so many little details that makes this show stand out above the rest.

I absolutely love the show's heavy use of [deliberate] paradoxes, the Ulrich one being my favourite. Incredible moment when he was in a 1953 newspaper as suspect of the disappearing of Helge. Also, the entire time I thought the Stranger was a grown-up Mikkel, so when it turned out Mikkel was actually going to be Jonas' father it opened up an entire new can of bizarro paradoxes. That twist blew my mind.

And I appreciate it leaves a lot of questions unanswered. It's a mystery, after all.

Edit: music is awesome too, very dark and sombre.

Last edited:

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the season, and overall it's an ok show.

Just too many goddamn characters to keep track of! I had to stop and google them. The Nielsens, Dopplers, Kahnwalds, Tiedemanns, then their 3 versions across 1953, 1983 and 2019, bit characters like Yasin and others. And on top of all that, these families are connected due to Mikkel time traveling. Just way too much stuff going on.

Still have lingering questions. So who is Noah? Why are only kids being taken and their eyes burned out? How did Mads' body get dropped into the cellar? Why did Mikkel/Jonas' father hang himself? What was the point of opening letters after specific time and date? I'm just not sure if I want to watch the season again to have my questions answered. Also some scenes were pretentious nonsense. That scene with Martha talking about existentialism in a play went on for too goddamn long. In the end I wanted to groan.
Guess we'll find out in S2.

Easier to kidnap and subdue. The machine in the bomb shelter is causing the eye damage.

Probably the same way Jonas jumped to 2019 and 1953 Helge jumped to 1986. There's a tear in time there that allows a 33 year jump forward when you get near it.

Cause he knew the loop was about to start again and he wanted to stick to it. Must have remembered Jonas dad died the summer before or maybe Noah or Claudia talked to him and explained his death must occur for the loop to begin.

He didn't want Jonas messing with the loop. He set the date/time till after the loop had already been set in motion with the disappearance of Mikkel.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
It was making me giddy how ambitious the show is attempting to be as the season progressed. It reminded me of lost but in the most exciting way. The season actually answered a fair bit of questions if you think about it. Also the music carries the show quite well. Both the OST and the borrowed songs

Apzu

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
I'm not really sure what you're getting at with this though. What could he do?

I think once Mikkel realized he couldn't go back to 2019 on his own, he was just content with trying to forget about it and live a normal life in 1986.
Yeah sorry my mistake. For some reason, I watched the whole season thinking the town was in East Germany, I guess the mention of Chernobyl over and over got me a bit confused there or that they never suspected commies were abducting the children.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
No, it's not. It has basically nothing in common with Stranger Things.

It's pretty dark though, to that I agree.

Yeah I feel that comparing this to Stranger Things is doing Dark a HUGE disservice. Not to mention there are hardly any similarities, aside from maybe the occasional eighties tune?

Dark is infinitely more complex and ambitious in its writing. I like Stranger Things, but Dark is on a whole different level.

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
Yeah I feel that comparing this to Stranger Things is doing Dark a HUGE disservice. Not to mention there are hardly any similarities, aside from maybe the occasional eighties tune?

Dark is infinitely more complex and ambitious in its writing. I like Stranger Things, but Dark is on a whole different level.

I totally agree. If I really wanted to draw parallels to other movie and tv pop culture, for me it would be Twin Peaks, Back to the Future and maybe Lost (the good parts of it). The only thing that gave me mild Stranger Things vibes was Netflix's teaser/trailer for Dark—and I'm not really sure if that helped them or hurt them. It certainly set wrong expectations. On the other hand, most people that like Stranger Things are also on board with other weird fiction in general, so maybe it helped more on that account.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
The Stranger Things comparison gets people into this thread and show, which is the main intention to me. It's more akin to Twin Peaks/Fringe.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The comparison stops at a kid disappearing in a small town, but like Kenzodielocke said it can be useful to get people into the show.

Dark is indeed on a whole other level though.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I've watched the first three episodes so far and something hit me way harder than I thought it would.
If I traveled back in time, how would I prove that I actually was from the future? The easiest way would be to make a bunch of predictions about the immediate future but then I realized that I don't really know enough about the 80s to back those claims up...
My best bet would be to wait for Mario Bros. 3 to be released and show off a bunch of secrets on release day or spoil the end of Back to the Future 2.
I should probably study up some important events of every decade just to make sure I'm prepared for such an event.

I like the show so far. The acting isn't perfect but it seems above average compared to other German shows. Will definitely watch it until the end.
Just wanted to share my tiny would-be-time-traveler crisis.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, me too was one of those who was interested on this show for being called "German Stranger Things", so imagine my surprise when this turned out to be a time travel story (i'm a sucker for those). I loved the cinematography and the overall tone of the show. Most time travel media relies on the adventure or comedy aspect, this being very drama focused worked really nice. Definitely going to watch season 2.

One question though, why the majority of the cast were such assholes? lol

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I think the dub actually helps at times in keeping straight who's who since the adult versions share voice actors. I'm also surprised at how much most of the different aged actors resemble each other.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
One question though, why the majority of the cast were such assholes? lol

German writers love flawed characters. I'm used to it being German myself, but it's really quite different from what you get watching let's say American productions. "Hero" doesn't mean free of sin over here, if you want.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have
Ulrich trying to beat a small kid to death with a rock
if this was an American show. I was genuinely shocked when that happened (in a good way).

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the biggest hurdle for me to get into the show is that pretty much no one (except for maybe Jonas and Charlotte) is likable. Everyone is an asshole and that made the first half of the show a drag for me. The show only really clicked for me in the second half when things started coming together and shit began to hit the fan. Glad I stuck it out, now I can't wait for season 2.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
rewatching the first couple episodes. I think I might go through this for a second round. Just picking up a lot of neat nuance. Also the opening is killer.

Jonas's mom is a sick tragic figure, I dislike her so much.

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it, great show. Still lots of questions I hope come out in season 2 like why Mikkel hung himself and even how he got to the past as he vanished in a flash of lightning.

I'd imagine it is somehow connected with the transportation of the chernobyl birds falling from the sky.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished it, great show. Still lots of questions I hope come out in season 2 like why Mikkel hung himself and even how he got to the past as he vanished in a flash of lightning.

I'd imagine it is somehow connected with the transportation of the chernobyl birds falling from the sky.

I don't have the exact timelines, but I suspect he killed himself to close the loop and prevent a time paradox

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have the exact timelines, but I suspect he killed himself to close the loop and prevent a time paradox

I don't know. Seeing yourself grow up, knowing you'll be kidnapped, while being unable to do anything about that out of fear it would fuck over yourself must have weighed on the dude. I don't blame him for ending his life, struggling with the decision every day.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. Seeing yourself grow up, knowing you'll be kidnapped, while being unable to do anything about that out of fear it would fuck over yourself must have weighed on the dude. I don't blame him for ending his life, struggling with the decision every day.
Yeah, it was a mix of him knowing it was time for the thing to start + him ending up kind of screwed in the head because of the whole ordeal.