• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
It's hot garbage but in a surreal way I can't even begin to care. All that money fucking evaporates at the end of the month anyway when I log into my account and hit the payment button on my mobile banking.
Might as well take it out of my paycheck so I have no illusions how much of a broke shit I am.

Ultimately...I really don't see the point of this bill at all. What purpose does it serve. I know it's a pipe dream, but it would be so much better to just formulate a fucking bill that helps us? Especially if you went private.
Honestly it's a bit discouraging that Democrats aren't drafting bills for shit like this either. Even if it was just a virtue signaling bill.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can also set up income based repayment plans that can make your payments as low as $0 with forgiveness of the remaining balance after 20/25 years.

From what I am reading this would destroy that.

Technically true but what people always leave out is that whatever balance is ultimately 'forgiven' counts as income for the year it's forgiven (meaning you owe income tax on it) and if you're making $0 payments for 20/25 years the interest that accrues is crazy and you better be prepared for one hell of a tax bill the year it's actually forgiven.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
i don't get it, why is college in the US so expensive

Multitude of reasons. Demand kind of exploded and at nearly the same time the government basically guarantees almost everyone can get a loan. And private loan companies now can't have those loans discharged in bankruptcy. Along with that state government funding hasn't kept up. And colleges have added services that have ballooned in costs in addition.

Basically there's literally no reason to lower or pressure the other direction. Nearly everyone is going to college and they'll take out whatever the loan is no matter the number and the loan agency will get their money.

Oct 26, 2017
This is the opposite of what needs to happen. Student loans need to be forgiveable so a ton of people declare bankruptcy to get out them, which would make them harder to get, so schools can't charge literally whatever they want or nobody could afford to go.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Interesting. One thing I didn't know or understand, does this mean that federally granted student loans are not covered in this and are able to be discharged?

It's also true that this probably enabled schools to increase costs as students could borrow more. I've always wondered what the effect of a lack of loans would be for both the cost of college, and for housing.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Interest rates are a reflection of risk taken on by the lender. Higher rates generally reflect riskier loans.

So if the government is going to take measures to ensure that everyone be coerced to have to pay their loans, then I would expect to be able to refinance for an insanely low interest rate, as this eliminates all risk (save death) on the part of the lender.

Anything short of that is simply a money grab that the GOP is trying to help the student loan lenders perform. (Which this obviously is.)

The end result that they're shooting for, even if they don't acknowledge it, is to disincentivize education and knowledge so as to better reinforce a working class and prohibit class movement from generation to generation.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like it could even screw with people who do have enough money to pay down their loans. I went pretty far above my minimum payments to minimize the amount of interest I'd have to pay.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Shit like this makes me glad I grew up in Scotland. No tuition fees, student loans are just for living costs, they don't come off until you are earning a decent salary and then they just come off automatically (which is good with those other things in place, you can't JUST take this part lol) so I literally never need to think about my student loan.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if This does happen I'm going to taunt so many Republicans. I know so many of them in so much debt

The double whammy of being against free education so brown people stay uneducated and having your money taken out of your check (tax)