• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like payment should always be voluntary, but I have even more reason to be against it. This isn't part of the agreement people made when they took out student loans. It might have affected their decision if they knew this was possible. If they have to have this, they should only apply it to new loans moving forward.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That's the way it is here in the UK, if you're earning over £25k a year. Why is that so bad?
Difference being that the repayment is likely on a sliding scale in the UK, also the loan is likely to be entirely or mostly government backed. There are also likely programs to defer payment if it causes undue stress. Meanwhile in the USA...the loans are mostly privately backed, and knowing the GOP, they are going to want a full minimum payment instead of adjusting it based on income.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
It could also mean that they would have to give their employers a lot of information about their families (potentially including a spouse's income) and their student loan debt in order to calculate the student loan payment amount.

would not fly for some people.

Although I am with you in principle, the ship sailed on that long ago.

Companies can and do (in most states) ask to know your credit history as part of the background check when hiring you. That is more intrusive than what is necessary to support this proposal.

And as for disclosing your outside income, the same issue already exists for calculating income tax withholding.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Sure make the loans 0% interest rates and they can steal it directly from my paycheck. Not that I currently have any problems paying back my current student loan debt.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
lmao my entire family would be on the streets. I don't think any of us have paid back our loans

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Higher education is such a fucking joke and a scam in this country.

So many of these schools pay no taxes and yet have hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank and continue to increase tuition at an unattainable rate.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Slash interest rates to next to nothing, make it pre-tax, and extend terms so it is more of a stable, low impact fund, AND keep the option to pay directly to principal or pay off early no strings attached.. and ok, maybe we'll talk.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Can't stand Lamar Alexander but... If there is one of two mistakes I made when going to school it was not paying as I went.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Other states need a college network like NY has. College is so cheap here that one can pay their loans off easy in 5 years.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
what is your average loan total after graduating with a 4 year degree? and is it a proper loan, with interest, etc?
The average for 4 years in the UK now would probably be around £50K, but the repayment is more akin to a tax - you pay 9% only on what your earn above a £25k threshold. The debt is also wiped out after 25 years, so most people won't even repay it all back (including interest) unless they start a high paying job immediately after graduating.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017

So many of these schools pay no taxes and yet have hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank and continue to increase tuition at an unattainable rate.
all the while slashing resources for professors and adjuncts. It's gross how higher-ed enriches itself while absolutely kneecapping itself at the most base levels.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
This is how it works in the UK.

Like... is it that horrible?

I feel like I'm missing something here.
Think a little about the social safety net you have in the UK vs the US. Maybe also factor in the cost of education here vs the UK. Lastly, what do you suppose the average interest rate is on student loans in the US vs the UK given that private companies are at it here?

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao eat my ass. My employer does not need to know about my finances whatsoever. I do work they pay me. That's it. That's all it should ever be.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
IBR works. This would destroy that and throw the country into a humongous recession.

I have 11 months left in my PSLF payments and if they did something to screw with that, I'd be bankrupt.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Thank all the states and the anti-education sentiment in this country that have slashed state support of universities and passed the expenses to students/parents.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is close to $1,500 a month as well and I earn a little less than $4,000 monthly after taxes. So nearly 40% of my salary goes to student loans, and will go to student loans for the next 20+ years. And that's for a public, four-year college.
Mine was around $1,300 per month for a while when our household income was around 3k a per month.
After close to 10 years of that, I finally got some of the loans paid off, and we increased our household income to closer to $3,750 per month, and our monthly amount that is due is $500 now. But I'm putting every extra cent we have into the loans to try to get the rest paid off by the end of next year instead of 11 years from now which would cost us nearly 20k more in interest if we just paid the min :/

As for the topic of this thread. I'm not fundamentally opposed to the idea of taking student loans from paychecks, but it would have to be after a complete overhaul of the student loan system (well and higher education in general). In the current system the loans are designed to turn the students into sources of income for the companies for 20+ years. Many such students don't get jobs that allow them to do much more than keep a roof over their head and feed themselves, and if they are lucky pay an amount off their loans that actually make their totals decrease. Most get stuck in a loop of paying the min and actually having their debt raise because they have so much debt that the interest outweighs their payment even if they are paying hundreds a month. An emergency happens such as a large car repair, and right now they could call and stall the bill, just making the path to paying it off longer, but allowing them to keep the money to deal with stuff. You take that out of the wages they might have to take other loans out to pay for bills with even worse rates trapping them even more.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if it was pre-tax I could fuck with that. I'm generally on track with my monthly loan payments and a little extra always helps.

That being said - this obviously isn't a solution to any of the problems with the current status quo and adds a bunch more new ones into the mix. I doubt it's a serious proposal, sounds more like lip service.

Oct 30, 2017
Step 1: Loan forgiveness
Step 2: Reign in the absurd cost of higher education, specifically administration should be paid way less, same with athletics (and I love me some college ball)
Step 3: Cut out the non-major classes. Students don't need to retake English and math if it's not part of their major

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Think a little about the social safety net you have in the UK vs the US. Maybe also factor in the cost of education here vs the UK. Lastly, what do you suppose the average interest rate is on student loans in the US vs the UK given that private companies are at it here?
Honestly I'd say the costs of education aren't all that incomparable. For 3 years with maintainence you'll have a student loan debt of £36,000 in the UK, that's not having any sorts of Masters or a 4-5 year course. You have a payment threshold of £25,000 you have to be earning before you pay it back which is the sole silver lining to it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd say the costs of education aren't all that incomparable. For 3 years with maintainence you'll have a student loan debt of £36,000 in the UK, that's not having any sorts of Masters or a 4-5 year course. You have a payment threshold of £25,000 you have to be earning before you pay it back which is the sole silver lining to it.
the most I see in the article is
"It makes sure if there were no money earned, there would be no money owed and that would not reflect negatively on a borrower's credit,"

which easily could mean it's just a flat percent of the paycheck regardless of how much you make for this proposed rule.

You would have to make the min like 50k before you start paying to really even start to work with the current american set up (even then in come cities in america 50k a year isn't even enough to live there) but you also have this
"Many borrowers who default have sufficient income to repay their debts, but just have difficulty managing their money,"

aka they want to make it so they decide how people with loans spend their money, so that they can make sure the companies that give out loans get money even if you really don't have it.
It screams of the lines about avocado toast and iphones and how people just shouldn't buy them if they want health insurance and what not.
I would expect at best they would set a super low limit (like 5k per year) and the end result would be that while yes there are some people that are making decent money that could be spending better and pay off the loans which would be inconvenienced but survive such a thing. It would destroy anyone near the poverty line that went to school and dropped out, or just can't find a job in their field. But they don't care, they just want to make sure that the loan companies get more money.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

I don't see what the play is here. If people default on their loans and you garnish their paychecks, it's going to have a negative feedback cycle to everything else in the economy as they're going to have less money to spend on rent/transportation/personal items.

The lesson to be learned here is to not give out predatory loans and to allow (easier) bankruptcy for this kind of debt so people can learn to do better and start over.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
105697963-1548342798820ross3.600x337.jpg

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I have a morbid curiosity to see what would happen to the GOP if this actually passed. We joke about guillotines but I can't help but think of...this bloomberg article from earlier in the year and this quote that nonchalantly mentioned shit hitting the fan:

At a time when lots of attention is being paid to inequality, poverty and the travails of the working class, it might seem callous to worry about the problems of the educated elite. But there are important reasons to be concerned about the fates of recent college graduates. First, a healthy economy needs to make optimal use of talent — if smart people are funneled into useless or counterproductive tasks, their skills and the resources spent educating them will go to waste. Second, when educated people's expectations are frustrated by a dysfunctional economic system, they can turn their formidable talent and energy toward disrupting that system, leading to social unrest.

Its fascinating to see how out of touch they are, and its very telling that many of the proponents of policies like these tend to be the ones not suffering. (Boomers, troll 4channers living with parents)

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't see what the play is here. If people default on their loans and you garnish their paychecks, it's going to have a negative feedback cycle to everything else in the economy as they're going to have less money to spend on rent/transportation/personal items.

The lesson to be learned here is to not give out predatory loans and to allow (easier) bankruptcy for this kind of debt so people can learn to do better and start over.

I think there's a good reason student loans aren't eligible for bankruptcy. You could basically go to medical school, default on your loans during the time you're making very little, become a doctor and never have to pay it back. Not to mention loans are largely given to students with no credit history and if they were easier to default on without paying, who would foot the bill?

Robert81

Nov 2, 2017
My buddies are poor as shit and they owe student loans. They don't have steady work. Guess what , all of their Gst cheque's gone. If you get money back from income tax gone. The government takes it all. This is in Ontario, Canada. If they worked at the same work place longer than a few months, the government would garnish 20% of their pay cheque. It's harder for the government to garnish working wages. You have to find out where the person works. Get judge to sign of judgment. If it's a shitty job most people will quit job and find new job. The government has to do the whole garnish thing over again. But if government owes you money they take that no problem.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I have a morbid curiosity to see what would happen to the GOP if this actually passed. We joke about guillotines but I can't help but think of...this bloomberg article from earlier in the year and this quote that nonchalantly mentioned shit hitting the fan:

Its fascinating to see how out of touch they are, and its very telling that many of the proponents of policies like these tend to be the ones not suffering. (Boomers, troll 4channers living with parents)

Out of touch, i don't think so. They just dont give a damn. I think they see the writing on the wall and are trying to cash out in any way, shape, or form they can.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a good reason student loans aren't eligible for bankruptcy. You could basically go to medical school, default on your loans during the time you're making very little, become a doctor and never have to pay it back. Not to mention loans are largely given to students with no credit history and if they were easier to default on without paying, who would foot the bill?

Pretty much everyone, apparently. The scare you're talking about wasn't a real thing.

So, was it worth it? Is there any sign, in retrospect, that the Bush bankruptcy bill needed to single out student debtors? According to a new working paper from economists at the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, no, there is not. The researchers looked at how bankruptcy rates for private student loan borrowers changed after the reform bill went into effect, then compared them with the bankruptcy patterns for federal student loan borrowers and debtors without any education loans, who should not have been affected by the new law. If private borrowers had been filing for Chapter 7 in order to wiggle away from their debts pre-2005, you would expect their bankruptcy rates to fall significantly faster than they did for those without student loans or people who borrowed from the feds. That didn't happen, as shown on the graph below.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for President Harris and/or President AOC to forgive those loans and change the higher education system.