• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
_articulos_-3448272.jpg

A Guide for Getting Into Dragon Quest

With the imminent release of Dragon Quest XI (which is a huge deal - it's been a full 8 years since we got Dragon Quest IX), I figured now would be a fantastic time to provide some advice about "getting into" the series.

This post was originally much longer, but I cut it down quite a bit to really just hit what I feel are the basics of what Dragon Quest is, why you should play it, how you can play each entry, and which entries I'd recommend for a beginner. Hopefully this post will be of use to newcomers who either plan to play DQ11 or are merely curious about the series since it's "in the zeitgeist" at the moment.

Additionally, I'd like to give a shout-out to the Dragon Quest OT. You should definitely swing by if you want to discuss the games or want any more advice about where to get started.

I'd also like to encourage anyone knowledgeable about the series to let me know if I should add anything to this post, or if there are any errors. Most of this is just what I have in my head supplemented by a bit of research where my understanding of things is foggy.

Without further ado...

tenor.gif

What is Dragon Quest?

Dragon Quest is a series of role-playing games and associated spinoffs, generally set in a medieval-fantasy setting and featuring polished turn-based combat. It is also one of the longest-running gaming franchises in the world, predating its JRPG counterpart Final Fantasy by a little more than a year (Dragon Quest 1 was released in 1986, Final Fantasy I in 1987).

At its core, Dragon Quest was originally conceived by its creator and designer, Yuji Horii - who has remarkably stayed at the helm of the series for three decades - as a sort of amalgamation of Wizardry and Ultima, two long-running WRPG franchises that had their primary heyday back in the classical antiquity of the mid-to-late 1980s and early 1990s. Horii intended for Dragon Quest to introduce the broader Japanese gaming audience to the RPG genre, which drove his decision to release the game on the Nintendo Famicom and enlist the services of popular manga artist Akira Toriyama in developing the visual identity of the game. Koichi Sugiyama, already a well-respected composer at the time, had contacted the team and expressed admiration for their prior work on an unrelated game, and subsequently accepted an offer to compose the soundtrack for Dragon Quest. This core trio - Yuji Horii, Akira Toriyama, and Koichi Sugiyama - still stands as the foundation of every mainline Dragon Quest game, and it is one of the reasons why the series has boasted such remarkable consistency over the many years of its existence.

In the lead-up to Dragon Quest I's release, there were concerns that it would not appeal to a Japanese gaming audience that was primarily enamored with sci-fi settings rather than Dragon Quest's "swords and sorcery" image. Those concerns were quickly laid to rest upon release, when Dragon Quest smashed sales expectations, and the series has since evolved into a cultural phenomenon in Japan. Yet, despite this incredible success, the series has never abandoned its core identity and "experience" - a quality that has made it beloved by fans the world over.

Why Should I Play Dragon Quest?

In this section, I could write general praise such as "fantastic soundtrack, engaging combat, wonderful atmosphere." These are all certainly true of the Dragon Quest games. But instead, I'd like to focus on what Dragon Quest means to me in particular, in the hopes that articulating the joy that these games bring me will encourage you to try them yourself.

When I was younger, I didn't like Dragon Quest. I sampled several entries and found them fairly unremarkable in the few hours I put into them. I was, instead, enamored with the bombastic flair of Final Fantasy, and the raw challenge of Shin Megami Tensei.

As I grew older, however, I returned to Dragon Quest and began to make my way through the series, and found that the "Dragon Quest experience" that I had finally uncovered was fundamentally unlike any other RPG I've played. Indeed, it became something I cherished quite a bit, and more and more as time went by.

The closest analogy I can provide to the "Dragon Quest experience" is relishing a subtly flavorful choice steak, or perhaps sipping, in a measured way, an earthy wine. The games are carefully designed in such a way that they are neither frontloaded, nor backloaded; neither fast-paced nor lugubrious; neither too easy nor too hard. They are balanced in every way, carefully crafted, artisan-like, to provide a warm, purposeful slow-burn over the course of a few dozen hours. In some ways, it is the aesthetic and methodology of traditional Japanese theater conveyed through the lens of a swashbuckling video game adventure; simple but elegant, suggestive rather than overbearing, occasionally humorous, occasionally tragic, and faithful to tradition just enough to be quietly nostalgic rather than slavishly derivative.

Building on that, it is often said that Dragon Quest is traditional or conventional; this might be true in a general sense, but I think it's ultimately reductive and glosses over one of the series' most important strengths. "Traditional" suggests, to a degree, that Dragon Quest stagnated and iterated where other JRPGs evolved and innovated. I would argue that this is not the case at all; Dragon Quest, in its staunch adherence to the elegance of its core design while seamlessly incorporating more experimental ideas, is arguably one of the most innovative and exciting series in JRPGs. The fact that many consider Dragon Quest games to be "refinements of convention" is not an indictment of the series' failure to evolve; it is, rather, an implicit celebration of the series' success in masterfully absorbing bold new ideas into a core experience that is still undeniably "Dragon Quest" at its heart.

This incredible elegance in game design is why Dragon Quest, to me, is unlike any other RPG series. The experience of playing Dragon Quest is the experience of savoring a few dozen hours of carefully, meticulously constructed game design by grandmasters of their craft - masters who, at this point, have been doing this longer than arguably any other active RPG developers on earth. It is a slow-burn not because it's poorly paced, but because it encourages the player to play it slowly and relish its more measured cadences and rhythms. To achieve this in one game is no small feat; and to achieve this consistently for three decades is simply awe-inspiring.

What I can say with certainty is that I once had no interest in delving into this series, and now I can't imagine my RPG experience without it. At the end of the day, that's really the best, and most sincere, recommendation I can give.

Which Game Should I Play First?

As with any long-running series, there are many opinions about how a beginner should start their journey through Dragon Quest. The generally-accepted consensus amongst series fans is that the strongest two entries are Dragon Quest V and Dragon Quest VIII, and many would recommend starting with one of those. Others, such as myself, would actually recommend starting at the very beginning, because it's the best way to see how the series has both changed and stayed the same over the years. Still others would recommend just jumping into Dragon Quest XI first, considering it's on the cusp of releasing and is considered to be pretty accessible.

A fundamental problem with general advice like this, though, is that we have no way of knowing what your tastes are. At the end of the day, you are the one who best understands your preferences in RPGs. So, instead of elaborating further on the recommendations in the paragraph above, I'd instead like to provide a brief blurb about each entry in the series, including some general info about it, what I feel its strengths are, and - perhaps most importantly - where you can play it.

The information provided here isn't necessarily comprehensive, but that's partially because I cut a lot of material that I felt wasn't expressly needed. This is the bare basics to get a newcomer off the ground. Also, I'll be linking to Hardcore Gaming 101 in each game header if you wish to read more about the game.

I will not be including Dragon Quest X on this list since it's not reasonably playable by anybody trying to start with the series (it is a Japan-exclusive MMO).

Also, the "playtime" stat is based on a mostly critical path playthrough with some natural exploration and optional content. Expect to add many hours of additional time if you wish to 100% these games.

dq1fc_jpn_front.jpg

Dragon Quest I.

Originally Released: 1986.
Playtime: 8-12 hours.
Difficulty: Moderate (original version); Easy (remakes).

Strengths:
DQI is an appealing starting point because it allows you to come in at ground zero. This is Dragon Quest at its most fundamental. It establishes many of the core conventions of the series, and also serves as an excellent warm-up before moving onto Dragon Quest II and especially Dragon Quest III, which tie back into this first game in some really awesome ways (especially DQ3). You only have one party member, rendering the turn-based combat less strategic and engaging than later entries, but it's still polished and fun. The game is also very short by series standards, so it's not much of a time investment. But the main benefit to playing this first is the historical aspect: this is one of the most influential and important games ever made, both in its own series and in general, and it's always nice to have something like that under your belt before moving on to later games.

Where to Play It:
Your main options are the original localized NES version (called Dragon Warrior); a fan translation of the SNES remake; the localized Game Boy Color remake, Dragon Warrior I & II; and the mobile version, restored to its original title of Dragon Quest, which is available on both iOS and Android.

Unless you really want the original experience, I would recommend either the GBC or mobile version (the SNES version is also great but the GBC version is based on it, so there isn't necessarily a reason to fiddle around with patching it and emulating it if you don't have to, unless you much prefer the SNES graphics to the GBC graphics).

A recurring theme for the earlier Dragon Quest entries is that I'll actually be recommending the mobile versions, which are mostly pretty great ports (and are naturally pretty accessible). Unfortunately, that is not entirely the case with DQI; the mobile version has some pretty noticeable issues with sprite scaling that make it look a bit off and can be kind of grating. If that issue, and touch controls (they're really quite intuitive, I promise) won't bother you, then by all means pick up the mobile version; I've played it myself and it's quite fun, and fits very well in the mobile format. But if you want a more "authentic" experience with traditional controls and a more traditional graphical presentation, I recommend the GBC version. Also - DQI has a fairly pithy amount of text, but for what it's worth the game was retranslated for the mobile version.

One other benefit of the mobile version is that it only costs a measly $3. That's a bit cheaper than the GBC version, but keep in mind that the GBC version also comes with DQII, which has to be bought separately on mobile (for $5 to be exact).

Dragon-Quest-II-japanese-box-art_5247.jpg

Dragon Quest II.

Originally Released: 1987.
Playtime: 10-15 hours.
Difficulty: Brutal (original version); Moderate (remakes).

Strengths:
DQII is the first entry where you fight with multiple party members, and as a result it set many of the foundations for how team-based combat works in DQ. Because the three party members here are entirely preset, you can focus on working with their strengths and weaknesses as opposed to determining the party composition yourself like many of the later games let you. There's certainly a lot of appeal to the degree of customization in those games, but there's also something to be said for the more "puzzle-like" nature of games like DQII that give you a set of tools and ask you to work with them. The game also expands on the world of DQI in a really neat way, and features a much more expansive adventure. Despite this increase in scope, the game is also quite short and therefore isn't too much trouble to power through. Well - at least in terms of time commitment. The game is a bit harder than most of the other DQ entries, and one dungeon in particular - The Road to Rhone - is legendarily difficult. But the remakes tone this down a bit - and in any case, maybe that difficulty is something that appeals to you.

Where to Play It:

Like their counterparts, Final Fantasy I and II, Dragon Quest I and II often go hand-in-hand in their remakes as a bundle, so you essentially have the same options here as you had with DQI. The one exception is the SNES fan translation of DQII, which reportedly has a game-breaking bug, and I'm not sure if that was ever addressed. So I'd recommend avoiding that version since you have other options.

That pretty much leaves the same decision here as with DQI, between the GBC and the mobile version. And there are pretty much the same pros and cons too - the mobile version has the same sprite scaling issues that DQI had, while the GBC version retains the more authentic presentation and controls but sacrifices some of the accessibility of mobile. The situation is clouded further by the mobile version sporting a brand-new retranslation, though DQII isn't particularly text-heavy and thus I'd argue that that isn't really quite as much of a selling point as it'd be for the later games.

So, same deal. If you don't mind the sprite issues and don't mind the touch controls, spring for the mobile version which is $5. If either, and especially if both, of those things bother you, the GBC version is probably the best option, and it's also bundled with DQI in the same cartridge.

DragonQuestIII-1.jpg

Dragon Quest III

Originally Released: 1988.
Playtime: 20-25 hours.
Difficulty: Hard (original version), Moderate (remakes).

Strengths:
DQIII is probably my favorite entry in the series because it succeeds with flying colors at quite a few things. It has a ton of strategic possibilities and replay value due to its comprehensive class system, one of the first in the genre (and still a pretty great one, all things considered). The game either invented or codified many of the conventions that we associate with JRPGs, to the extent that playing through it almost feels like playing a direct blueprint for an enormous swath of the genre in later years. Despite this enormous influence, the game retains its own unique identity by honing the Dragon Quest template into its most balanced and meticulously crafted iteration yet, and applies this framework to an even more sprawling adventure that is still impressive in its scope today. The incredible ways that the game ties back into the previous two games leads to one of the most epic finales in, well, any RPG. The game bumps the party member count up to 4 and features some of the most engaging combat encounters in the series, as it retains a degree of DQII's difficulty but provides many more tools for you to experiment and overcome these obstacles. Also, while each of the DQ games sports a fantastic soundtrack, DQIII features perhaps the most iconic game-specific song in the series, and many other excellent songs as well. It is, in many respects, the foundational game upon which an enormous portion of the Japanese game industry was built, and is arguably the most influential Japanese game not made by Nintendo. It is to JRPGs what Metroid is to Metroidvanias. If all of that doesn't convince you to play it then I don't know what will!

Where to Play It:
Other than the fact that DQIII has a separate remake from DQI+II on SNES and GBC, your options are pretty much the same. The original version is quite a bear by modern standards and more of a historical novelty in the context of the remakes, as it lacks some very important QoL changes. That leaves the three remaining major options as the SNES, GBC and mobile versions.

I'll discuss the mobile version first since that's actually my recommendation for which version to play. It is the most accessible version, features the most recent/accurate retranslation, and - perhaps most importantly - doesn't have any of the graphical problems that DQI and DQII on mobile had. It adheres pretty faithfully to the SNES graphics, other than the lack of enemy animations (which is admittedly an unfortunate omission, as those animations in the SNES version give the enemies a lot of character). It also cut a few songs from the soundtrack, and also doesn't include some of the minor bonus content in the GBC version; however, I feel that these little flaws don't detract from the overall conclusion that it is a great port, runs well, looks good, the touch controls are intuitive, and it's fairly cheap and accessible ($10, and of course you probably have your phone with you more than anything else, so it's easy to play it on commutes and the like).

If, however, you prefer an experience more "authentic" to the original version, I'd recommend the GBC version. While the GBC version is based largely on the SNES remake, it features 8-bit music and sprites, and thus is a sort of middle ground between the original's charm and the accessibility and QoL improvements of the remakes (note that those sprites aren't entirely faithful to the way the original looked, but it still captures a lot of the same charm). I am a big fan of this version as well and you really can't go wrong with it. It also has an additional bonus dungeon that the other two versions don't, but unfortunately this bonus dungeon is so soul-crushing to actually get access to that I'm not sure whether or not it should count as a pro or a con.

Finally, the SNES remake is certainly another great option, and all things considered is probably the "best" way to play the game with conventional controls (i.e. not the mobile version). It has the beautiful SNES graphics of the Dragon Quest VI engine, the entertaining monster animations, and is the basis for both the later GBC and mobile remakes (in other words, you're not missing out on any major QoL improvements by playing this version instead of the others). This version also features the entire soundtrack in what is probably its highest quality compared to the other remakes. It does, however, require a fan translation to be playable in English. It is also somewhat harder than the other versions due to some balance differences, though I'd still considerate it "Moderate" difficulty overall.

dq-iv-1.jpg

Dragon Quest IV

Originally Released: 1990.
Playtime: 25-30 hours.
Difficulty: Hard (original version), Moderate (remake).

Strengths:
DQIV is the first entry in the series that features a fleshed-out cast of charming and endearing characters, which is accomplished in large part through the Party Chat - a feature that allows you to solicit opinions from each member of your party about virtually everything that happens on your travels, including opinions about their own motivations on your quest, the various NPCs that you talk to, and even how stinky the current dungeon is. For this reason, DQIV is arguably the first "narrative-focused" game in the series, and this characteristic is further evident in the innovative structure of the game - rather than playing through one longer campaign, you play through a handful of shorter ones exploring the lives and scenarios of various people, who ultimately come together as the hero's main party in the final chapter and help him save the world. Each of the chapters feature unique mechanics, encounters, and tones - one of my favorites is Torneko's chapter, in which you play as a down-on-his-luck merchant and take advantage of price differences across regions to buy and sell goods for a profit, eventually culminating in buying your own shop in the nearby major city. The game's innovative structure and unique scenarios make it one of the first really experimental entries in the series, and it still remains a fascinating JRPG to this day. Finally, on a completely different note, the "fully matured" Dragon Quest combat from DQIII returns, with four party members working in tandem to overcome foes. It's a very engaging experience, and one of the best the franchise has to offer.

Where to Play It:
There are three options for playing DQIV: the original NES version, the DS version, and the mobile version. Unlike every other DQ game with multiple versions, I would actually argue there is currently only one definitive version of DQIV: the mobile version.

The original version had a significant remake on the DS, vastly modifying/improving nearly every aspect of the game; for this reason, other than historical interest, I would recommend sticking with the remake. While the DS version is great in most ways, it has one critical flaw: the Party Chat was completely excised from the game. What this essentially means is that the DS version has had the vast, vast majority of its script removed, rendering most of the characters in the game little more than faceless archetypes with a bit of background flavor. This is a huge problem in DQIV in particular, which has one of the strongest casts in the series, if not the actual strongest.

As such, the mobile version - which is functionally identical to the DS version in most ways, but restores the Party Chat - is absolutely the best way to play the game, and costs $15. To emphasize yet again - I do not recommend playing the DS version of Dragon Quest IV. I understand a lot of people have a distaste for playing more "core" gaming experiences on mobile, but in this case it's really the best option by quite a bit. It's difficult to fully express how much personality, character, and charm the Party Chat adds. In a more character-driven game like DQIV, removing the Party Chat is essentially cutting the soul out of the game. Unless you literally do not care at all about the characters, and are purely interested in the gameplay, the mobile version is the way to go.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https:///wp-content/uploads/2015/01/dragon-quest-v-01-22-15-1.jpg

Dragon Quest V

Originally Released: 1992.
Playtime: 25-30 hours.
Difficulty: Moderate (original version), Hard (PS2 remake), Moderate (DS/mobile remake).

Strengths:
Building on DQIV's more experimental structure, DQV instead takes DQIV's breadth of focus and turns it into depth of focus - instead of individual chapters featuring different characters, DQV focuses exclusively on the main character and follows him throughout his life, from childhood to adulthood, through marriage and beyond. This structure serves a set of incredibly powerful themes about the value of family, about love and loss, about tragedy and hope; and DQV executes on these themes flawlessly, weaving a tale that is sometimes heartwarming, sometimes tearjerking, but always insightful and touching. The game probably has the best narrative in the series, all things considered - though that doesn't mean it's a slouch in the gameplay department. In addition to the core Dragon Quest combat, DQV features a revolutionary monster-catching mechanic that pre-dated Pokemon by several years, and allows you to recruit a bevy of creatures to assist you in your travels. The vast array of monsters that can be recruited give the game an immense amount of replay value and strategic preparation, as there are large portions of the game where you rely heavily on these monster recruits and the abilities that they bring to the table. Finally, Yuji Horii himself considers DQV his favorite in the series, and that has to count for something!

Where to Play It:
Unlike DQIV, there aren't any major differences between the DS remake and the mobile version (well, other than the differences inherent to the hardware). If you prefer conventional controls, the DS version is the way to go. if you like mobile's convenience (or even prefer the touch controls; after you get used to them they're actually great), then the mobile version is all yours for $15. Either version is fantastic and will be largely the same experience.

The more interesting alternative is the PS2 remake, which is distinct from the DS/mobile remake and is one of the only PS2 games to receive a full fan translation (note that, even though the site itself has been abandoned, the fan translation links still work). This version features full 3D graphics and sweeping orchestral arrangements of the score; however, because it was the first DQV remake to bump the party count up to 4 instead of the original's 3, the developers "overcompensated" somewhat by making the combat encounters pretty difficult. I would consider this the hardest version of the game, but also the best looking version with by far the most lovely version of the soundtrack. If you have the means to patch it up and play it, and don't mind a challenge (or outright embrace it), this could very well be the definitive version of the game for you. As an added bonus, the Japanese PS2 version is quite cheap on ebay.

If you're curious, here is a comparison of the graphics between the original SNES version, the PS2 remake, and the DS/mobile remake:
33558-Dragon_Quest_V_-_Tenkuu_no_Hanayome_(Japan)_[En_by_DeJap+Partial_v2.01Final]_(~Dragon_Quest_V_-_Bride_of_Heaven)-1459404911.png

dq511.png
dq5ps2_171.jpg

dq5ps2_201.jpg
dq5ds_064.jpg

dragon-quest-v-2-261x352.jpg

SI_NDS_DragonQuestVl_enGB_image1600w.jpg

Dragon Quest VI

Originally Released: 1995.
Playtime: 40-50 hours.
Difficulty: Hard (original version), Moderate (remake).

Strengths:
Coming off of DQIV and DQV, Dragon Quest VI pivots in a different direction and instead introduces a "parallel worlds" concept that leads to some great NPC interactions and vignettes/scenarios. Like its successor, Dragon Quest VII, it exchanges the more snappy narrative of the prior two games for a sprawling journey through an army of towns, solving a variety of problems and encountering a cornucopia of interesting characters. It's something of a return to the DQIII template in that respect - and in others as well, such as the reintroduction of a dedicated class system that provides a ton of options for party compositions. Job system aficionados will find a lot to enjoy here, as will anybody who prefers to sink their teeth into a more meaty experience (DQVI is the first entry to really leap past the mid-length playtime of DQIV and DQV, and a critical path playthrough will probably take more than 40 hours). The game also ties back into the lore of the two previous games, though not in as direct a way as DQIII did in its own trilogy.

Where to Play It:
There are three options for playing DQVI, but the mobile and DS versions are again virtually interchangeable, so there are really just two options: the remake or the original SNES version.

Most Dragon Quest fans would agree that, up to this point in the series, the original version of the game isn't necessarily the best way to play it. DQVI is the first entry where that isn't the case, and there is in fact an ongoing debate about whether or not the remake was actually an improvement over the original. Part of this stems from the fact that DQVI was the first entry where the original version still looks absolutely fantastic, in the same timeless 2D-style as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. It is for this reason that the graphical coat of paint on the remake isn't necessarily an improvement - the remake stuffs DQVI into the same engine as the DQIV and DQV remakes, which looks "good" in a general sense but causes the game to lose a lot of its original visual identity. There are a host of pros and cons here: animations are arguably better in the remake, while background art can arguably be worse at times.

This is the sort of thing that really boils down to your own preferences. Here are two screenshots of the same scene - an imperfect comparison due to the different screenshot quality, but you should still get a gist of the differences. SNES first, Remake second:
41764-dragon-quest-vi-maboroshi-no-daichi-snes-screenshot-intro.gif
62c35e2e1cf3e230d56803aa13fc7338.gif

This comparison is unfair to the SNES version since the screenshot itself is smaller and, well, not a gif, but note the increased foliage detail and the different lighting. At minimum, I'd recommend looking up some videos of both versions in motion and seeing which you prefer.

Aside from the graphical controversy, the DQVI remake adds a few more general balancing tweaks and QoL improvements, but nothing that really marks it as a definitive version. There are also changes to the music which many fans aren't too keen on - though some actually prefer it! The takeaway is that either version is a great way to play the game, and there are proponents of each. Do note, however, that the SNES version requires a fan translation.

One final note about the DQVI remake - the original SNES version does have a monster-catching system similar to DQV (though not as fully-fleshed out). That system, in the remake, was replaced with a significantly stripped down "slime buddy system" where you can recruit various slimes throughout the game, but they don't function as actual party members in the same way that the recruited monsters in the original version of DQVI do. So, if you love monster-catching, that's something else to keep in mind and is a point in favor of the SNES version.

As touched on briefly above, the mobile and DS versions are functionally identical beyond the inherent hardware differences. The mobile version costs $15.

SI_3DS_DragonQuest7_enGB_image1600w.jpg

Dragon Quest VII

Originally Released: 2000.
Playtime: The Third Age of Man 80-100 hours.
Difficulty: Moderate (all versions).

Strengths:
Depending on how you feel about really getting lost in an enormous RPG adventure, Dragon Quest VII has one major strength: it is very long. The amount of content in this game is staggering; and yet, for the most part, this content consists of interesting vignettes, fun scenarios, and engaging combat with a lot of customization options (the beloved job system returns again). The game requires a lot of backtracking, but also frames that backtracking as exploring the same areas in a whole new light (the game's overarching "hook" is time-travel), and for that reason the game's structure can still remain very engaging despite the repetition. The game features some of the strongest writing and most memorable moments in the series, but requires the player to hunker down and really invest themselves in exploring the game's world and interacting with its denizens. For this reason, though this is arguably one of the most divisive games in the series, it is also one of the most beloved; and anybody who enjoys sprawling JRPG adventures with a ton of meaningful content and party customization options absolutely should not hesitate to give it a shot. However, this is perhaps the most demanding game in the series and it is perhaps a good idea to save it for after you have a couple others under your belt.

Where to Play It:
There are two options for DQVII: the original PS1 version (called Dragon Warrior VII) and the fairly recent 3DS remake. While this is the second entry (DQVI being the first) where the original version is a truly viable and competitive option, there are also a number of major changes between the original and the remake that warrant discussing more in-depth. While these aren't all of the changes, here are some of the more notable ones:

-The entire visual style of the game was revamped into more of a cell-shaded, lo-fi 3D style. Though it'll look blocky here, It looks pretty good on the 3DS screen:

save.jpg

36823-Dragon_Warrior_VII_[Disc1of2]_[U]-3.jpg
-The introduction is significantly shortened in the remake, by a factor of several hours. Some prefer the brisker pacing. Others don't like how much content was cut and how it mucks with the original pacing, worldbuilding, and gameplay. I would recommend basing your decision on which version to play on something besides this, as you really don't know what version of the introduction you'll prefer unless you play them both anyway.

-Rather than random encounters, the remake adds visible enemies on the map. In a counterintuitive way, these visible encounters can prove to be more frustrating to some players, because they're often not avoidable and thus add the unnecessary frustration of trying to dance around encounters that end up getting triggered anyway due to the level design. I would again not base a decision on this factor.

-The remake removes the overworld and instead makes the islands of the game large, fully explorable environments. The presence or absence of an overworld map is a matter of your own preference, based on how you like exploring.

-The remake adds a fragment locator that makes it significantly easier to pinpoint where certain plot-critical items are, and there are a lot of them to find. I consider this the best improvement in the remake.

Overall, I consider the remake the better version, but the PS1 version is still quite playable today (unfortunately not on PSN). If you've surveyed all the changes in the 3DS remake and are still unsure, I think the safest bet is sticking with the 3DS remake.

H2x1_3DS_DragonQuest8JourneyOTheCursedKing_enGB_image1600w.jpg

Dragon Quest VIII

Originally Released: 2004.
Playtime: 65-80 hours.
Difficulty: Moderate (all versions).

Strengths:
Dragon Quest VIII is the most popular entry in the series in the West (fingers crossed that DQXI takes that throne!), and for good reason. It is a polished, swashbuckling adventure with an absolutely gorgeous artstyle, memorable characters, a lot of optional content to play around with, and a great difficulty curve that remains challenging while still retaining broad accessibility. The real winner here though is just the sheer presentation; the voices sound great, the art looks amazing, the soundtrack is lush and, in the Western localization of the PS2 version, performed by a live orchestra. In many ways this was the first "modern" Dragon Quest, and it remains a beloved classic on a system with a colossal amount of heavy RPG competition. Additionally, if you're coming directly from Dragon Quest XI, this is the most logical entry to play next in terms of general similarities and as a more gentle gateway into the older entries in the series.

Where to Play It:
DQVIII has three versions: the original PS2 version, the heavily modified mobile port of the PS2 version, and the 3DS remake. Like DQVII, this 3DS remake changes a lot of things and it might be better just to list a handful of them:

-The graphics and music do suffer a downgrade in the remake. The graphical downgrade isn't necessarily a deal-breaker, as the game still looks absolutely gorgeous on the 3DS screen. However, the music downgrade is more drastic, as the symphonic arrangements on the PS2 version have been swapped out for synthetic MIDI tracks. While I wouldn't consider this quite enough to single-handedly spring for the PS2 version, it's certainly a pretty big deal. However, if you have a jailbroken 3DS, there is patch to restore the orchestrated music. I will not provide a link to it because ToS.

-Like the DQVII remake, the DQVIII remake now features visible enemy encounters. I'd argue this benefits DQVIII more than it does DQVII, and I'd consider it a strength of the remake.

-Battle speed has been greatly improved. I would consider this another major QoL improvement because the PS2 original could be quite plodding in this respect.

-The remake allows you to save skill points rather than immediately expending them. Not necessarily a major change, but a nice touch.

-The remake modifies several gameplay subsystems like Alchemy that were somewhat clunky in the original and have been streamlined.

-The remake adds two new party members.

-The remake adds additional story content that fleshes out a few characters.

-The remake adds additional post-game content.

You'll notice that many of those bullet points are simply "the remake adds." Other than the superior presentation on the PS2 version, the 3DS remake is quite good. It streamlines with QoL improvements where necessary and adds lots of new content where it's appreciated. Unless you really want the best audiovisual experience, or want to play on the big screen, I strongly recommend the 3DS version.

Finally, the mobile version is an option, though I'd consider playing it only if you have no access to either the PS2 or 3DS version (and don't plan to have access to them anytime soon). This version unfortunately has the worst presentation of the three, with a fairly choppy framerate, downgraded graphics, and MIDI soundtrack. It's also only playable in portrait mode, which works well for the earlier DQ entries but feels a bit claustrophobic in this one.

EDIT: The mobile version has been patched with additional support that makes it a more attractive option, here are the details courtesy of Vesper:
Just wanted to bump this to say that the recent (kind of) patch for Dragon Quest VIII iOS version that added iPhone X/XS Max support is amazing. It went years without supporting the X but now it finally does. The game is a solid 30 fps and looks and plays fantastic on my XS Max. It's still missing the voice acting from the other versions but for the visuals alone I might prefer it to the 3DS port. If you were avoiding this version because it didn't take advantage of all the real estate on your screen it does now and looks beautiful, I definitely recommend it!

Still, there are indeed some benefits to the mobile version that streamline the experience somewhat and make it more convenient for playing on the go. This version allows you to save anywhere; it makes alchemy instantaneous rather than requiring you to walk around to "cook it"; it gives you maps immediately rather than requiring you to find them in chests (those chests now contain gold); amongst other things. The touch controls also make menu navigation pretty quick and intuitive, just like the earlier mobile ports. If you really want to play DQVIII but want the portability without lugging around a 3DS, then give this version a look. The mobile version, in addition to being on your phone, can also be played with one hand for maximum convenience.

51146-Dragon_Quest_IX_-_Sentinels_of_the_Starry_Skies_(U)-3.jpg

Dragon Quest IX

Originally Released: 2009.
Playtime: 50-60 hours.
Difficulty: Moderate.

Strengths:
Dragon Quest IX is perhaps the most unique and arguably the most controversial entry in the series. Pivoting hard from the console-JRPG, single-player, character-driven romp of DQVIII, DQIX instead released on the Nintendo DS and has an emphasis on party customization and local multiplayer. Like in DQIII, characters can be created from scratch and then undertake a series of main or side missions, and can be accompanied by other players' characters for multiplayer assistance (there are unfortunately some drawbacks to this, such as the fact that "guest" characters can't accept quests and progress in their own story). This can be an enormously fun experience if you have a friend or two willing to play the game alongside you. Setting the multiplayer aside, DQIX features a sprawling story and an absolute plethora of content to uncover, all bolstered by a strong combat system, virtually complete party customization, and the customary Dragon Quest polish. Notably, DQIX was also the first mainline entry to abandon random encounters, and every mainline game or remake since has followed suit.

Where to Play It:
Fortunately there's not a lot of hemming and hawwing here - the only option is to play the DS version. It can be played on 3DS as well through the backwards compatibility.

maxresdefault.jpg

Dragon Quest XI

Originally Released: 2017.
Playtime: 55-75 hours (Draconian modifiers and significant optional content can increase this number quite a bit).
Difficulty: Easy (Normal mode), Moderate to Hard (with Draconian modifiers).

Strengths:
DQXI, the most recent mainline entry, is another excellent starting point if you'd rather see the series in its current form and firing on all cylinders, as opposed to digging into its history first. While there are many callbacks - both major and minor - to previous entries, DQXI can absolutely stand alone to the franchise newbie and is a stunning tribute to everything that Dragon Quest has been over the years: meticulously designed, subtly written, gracefully presented, carefully paced, and extremely fun. The art direction in this entry in particular is beautiful and it is easily in contention for the best looking JRPG on the market, especially on PS4 Pro and PC where the higher resolutions bring out a lot of the small flourishes and detail. The combat has also been streamlined in smart ways and it makes DQXI arguably the most approachable and intuitive game from a gameplay perspective. While I think anyone in for the long haul would be better served playing at least DQI and DQIII before this entry, it's certainly not a bad choice at all to start here, and see the series both at its most modern and at its best.

Where to Play It:
DQXI is available on PS4, Switch, and - for a series first - on PC. Given the roots of the franchise and its Wizardry/Ultima influences, there is a sort of...I don't know, "sentimentality" to it finally making the jump back to being a "computer role-playing game." Almost as though things have come full circle.

The PC port is excellent and is overall the best way to play it from a technical perspective. It's well-optimized and supports a variety of framerates and resolutions, and it features access to some fantastic mods (most notably the famous orchestral music mod, which significantly improves the audio experience).

Barring the PC version, the PS4 version runs quite well at 30fps and is also stunning in its own right, especially on the Pro. It does not, however, include any orchestrated music beyond the opening fanfare, nor is there any way to mod orchestrated music in.

The wild card in this set is the Switch version, which suffers a visual downgrade over both the PS4 and PC version, but features (1) a decent number of orchestrated tracks (more info will be forthcoming about this), (2) brand new side stories and additional content, and most interestingly (3) a port of the "2D" version of the game that was originally exclusive to the 3DS. The 3DS version of DQXI is significantly different from the console version and was unfortunately not localized; it rendered the game simultaneously in polygonal 3D and sprite-based 2D, and at a point in the game allowed you to choose which of the two ways to play the game. The Switch port includes the 2D mode of the game, which in terms of story content is still the same; however, needless to say, the presentation is substantially different.
Dragon_Quest_11_beginner_s_guide__0002_Layer_6.jpg
2931317-dragon-quest-xi_2017_04-11-17_005.jpg
Thus, despite the Switch version having certain technical downsides, the new content, orchestrated tracks, and 2D mode may be enough to warrant giving it a shot versus the PS4 or even the PC version. It remains to be seen whether any of these enhancements will find their way back to the PC or PS4 versions, but hopefully Square Enix brings them to parity at some point in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

slime_thumb.jpg

That wraps up this guide. Despite how long it looks, this is really just a brief glimpse into the series, the individual games, and what makes Dragon Quest so remarkable and cherished by fans all over the globe. I hope that, whether you start at Dragon Quest I, Dragon Quest V, Dragon Quest XI, or any other entry in the series, you join us!

Last edited:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I think I will give DQ another try with this entry. Sadly, I've been trying to get into DQ for years and I was unable. I played DQ8 back in the PS2 days, and then the port on 3DS and I really didn't like it. Also give DQ7 on 3DS a chance, and I bailed after an hour I think.

It's a shame because I love RPGs :(

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks, I've read it all. It will be a good thread to link back to for everyone asking where to start, and with what version

Play DQ7

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
DQV is in my top 5 games of all time, it's an amazingly charming game. And I always return to it, the world is awesome and the cast is so lovable. Everybody should play that game.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Great primer. DQ is my favorite game series and more people in the west should get into it.
I think I will give DQ another try with this entry. Sadly, I've been trying to get into DQ for years and I was unable. I played DQ8 back in the PS2 days, and then the port on 3DS and I really didn't like it. Also give DQ7 on 3DS a chance, and I bailed after an hour I think.

It's a shame because I love RPGs :(
Weird. Dragon Quest 1 ignited my love of RPGs and I've stuck with the series ever since. Why did you stop VII so early? You should know a lot of JRPGs take a while to hit their stride, DQ VII notoriously so.

Last edited:

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I first played DQ5 on SNES and it was great but never finished it.

I did play DQ1 and DQ2 - finished them both - will play DQ3 soon.

jcroix

Oct 27, 2017
Neo Yokio
Great thread! I'd also like to second the mobile recommendations. I was itching for more Dragon Quest having invested a ton of time into the 3DS version of DQ8, so I tried the mobile version of the original Dragon Quest on a whim and was blown away. From there I moved on to DQ2 on mobile, and now I'm currently playing through DQV mobile and it's just fantastic. Great ports that are readily available and affordable.

Another advantage of the mobile versions: one-handed play! The mobile controls pretty much require one thumb/finger, which comes in handy if you're like me and have giant dogs that like to get in the way of gaming :p

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful thread!

My personal rankings after replaying each the past couple of years now. hope 11 is as good as people are saying I am super excited for it

1. DQ5
  2. DQ8
  3. DQ7
  4. DQ3
  5. DQ4
  6. DQ6
  7. DQ2
  8. DQ9
  9. DQ1

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
DQ4's still my sentimental favorite of the series, even though 5 and 8 are "better" games. DQ3's also one of my favorite to replay, much like how I return to FF5 more than 4 and 6 these days.

I never actually finished DQ9 back at release, I'd probably start it back up again right now if DQ11 wasn't on the horizon. Remind me, does it suffer much from not doing multiplayer at all? And weren't there some online quests too? I assume those are long gone.

Someday...someday I'll give DQ7 another shot. Maybe in a few decades when I've retired. :P

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
You could have anything as your favourite and you would be right. The level of quality is consistent. We should be better than our final fantasy brethren and stay unified in our common love of DQ

disregard anything bad I said about 8

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
I would disagree that Dragon Quest VII has moderate difficulty in all versions. I found the 3DS version incredibly easy starting about the time you gain access to the class system. There came a point where I didn't have to strategize any battles at all. I can't speak for the PS1 version though.

I hope DQ11 is at least as hard as DQ8 with the tougher enemies + grinding cap Draconian Quest options. The OP equating it with DQ7 difficulty gives me a bit of concern. I hope it's much harder than that.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
DQ lacks any of the flashiness that you get from Final Fantasy or other JRPGs. My initial thoughts were that of disappointment, and after having played 5, 6 and 9 and I still don't know where I stand on it. The stories are generic, the gameplay is pretty bland and yet there is a certain charm to them. The characters are always fun to talk to and interact with, and the games hit the spot when it comes to capturing the feeling of going on a big journey.

If you're looking for a children's storybook made into an RPG, then DQ is up your alley. They're very happy games.

If anything, I love the sound when you find a gold coin. Always makes me smile when I find one in a pot or drawer.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
DQ lacks any of the flashiness that you get from Final Fantasy or other JRPGs. My initial thoughts were that of disappointment, and after having played 5, 6 and 9 and I still don't know where I stand on it. The stories are generic, the gameplay is pretty bland and yet there is a certain charm to them. The characters are always fun to talk to and interact with, and the games hit the spot when it comes to capturing the feeling of going on a big journey.

If you're looking for a children's storybook made into an RPG, then DQ is up your alley. They're very happy games.

If anything, I love the sound when you find a gold coin. Always makes me smile when I find one in a pot or drawer.
I think way too many JRPGs wallow in teenage melodrama so DQ is a great breath of fresh air for me. They just radiate charm. But a lot of the vignettes do get emotionally heavy.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's confession time then :P

I only ever played Dragon Quest VIII and just can't get myself to go back and play the older entries. I thought VIII was amazing and one of the most charming JRPGs I ever played. My plan was to follow the series from then onward.

Then SE did weird things with IX and X so I ignored those games... XI will be my 2nd DQ title. Shall get it on PC.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
If you haven't cried in any DQ stories, your heart is made of stone. Some short stories in there...it hits hard, and it only needs a few lines to do so. A mark of great writing in my opinion. But it's not only writing, the visuals also sells it.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I guess it's confession time then :P

I only ever played Dragon Quest VIII and just can't get myself to go back and play the older entries. I thought VIII was amazing and one of the most charming JRPGs I ever played. My plan was to follow the series from then onward.

Then SE did weird things with IX and X so I ignored those games... XI will be my 2nd DQ title. Shall get it on PC.
Er, why can't you go back? III and V are the best in the series and they're available on a billion platforms.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Great primer. DQ is my favorite game series and more people in the west should get into it.

Weird. Dragon Quest 1 ignited my love of RPGs and I've stuck with the series ever since. Why did you stop VII so early? You should know a lot of JRPGs take a while to hit their stride, DQ VII notoriously so.

No idea. I know JRPGs starts slow normally but I just wasn't feeling it. It doesn't help that it was on 3DS, and I rarely have time to play on portables, so my time with the game was super limited.

Maybe with this game being on console I can finally put time on it and like it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Er, why can't you go back? III and V are the best in the series and they're available on a billion platforms.

If someone can afford it, or they *need* 3D to play a Dragon Quest. I can't recommend DQ5 remake on PS2 enough, it's a stellar game, very charming too, and it has the orchestral soundtrack

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I love the series and am at the desert in 3 right now, but I've got to admit I'm struggling with this one after a long break from 1 and 2. I'm not sure what it is exactly but I think I just find controlling and managing 4 characters quite tedious especially when most battles are attack attack attack to conserve your manner, and even if battles do get more interesting, they get slow. I think the other issue I have which makes it even worse is the short amount of time between each towns and the next line of gear that takes ages to grind for, I find myself skipping stuff and not knowing how to pace myself in terms of how much enemies I should be fighting.

This is the second time I've got to the desert cause I burnt out last time too and again haven't played in weeks, I hope to return to it because it's a lot of people's favourites but I may just skip it to play IV on DS.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread FiveSide! Dragon Quest is a series that took me a while to get into as well, but it really does just click eventually. A lot of people's wariness towards the series seems to stem from the perceived simplicity of the narratives, which I could relate to, but having played through many of them I think calling them simple is not a fair assessment. DQ narratives are smart, charming, emotional, surprisingly varied, and most of all, satisfying. The satisfaction I gain from the vignettes and the development of characters is untouchable.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Great writeup! The only game I've played all the way through is the remake of IV for DS, which I loved. I played a fair amount of V for DS also, but I don't think I beat it.

Unfortunately, IX turned me off the series. I really could not get into it. It's nice to know that it's generally divisive. I think I'll jump into the series from the start!

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice write up. Funny how much that box art affected my perception of the game.

I thought I was playing some dark and gritty dragon hunting game back in Dragon Warrior....I was not. HAHA.

(ANd honestly, I have had issues with this ever since that illusion was shattered some years later).

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good write up. I would add that the modern localisations of DQ IV-VI DS, VII 3DS, VIII 3DS & PS2, IX - have liberties taken (they change names to add puns where none existed, and give characters regional accents where none existed).

A lot of people are ok with this, but some (including me lol) are not - I particularly don't like how it affects DQV DS, as an accent is given to the main villain that makes it tough to take it seriously. So I would definitely recommend the PS2 fan translation there. Japanese copies of DQV are cheap on ebay, and PCSX2 works well on most computers there days (checks specs before buying anything of course). It looks great with the resolution whacked up too.

I am a proponent of VI on SNES because of the DS aesthetic changes and VII on PSX because of how shambolically they hacked apart the intro for the 3DS remake. It DID need trimming, but not in the ham fisted way they went about it.

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Nice write up. I've previously only played VII which I quite enjoyed and now have XI pre ordered.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
What a beautiful thread. Many thanks. I've never played a DQ game bar Builders on the Switch - which I adored - but this thread has piqued my interest.

Will be getting a new iPhone imminently and might christen it with DQ1.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't cried in any DQ stories, your heart is made of stone. Some short stories in there...it hits hard, and it only needs a few lines to do so. A mark of great writing in my opinion. But it's not only writing, the visuals also sells it.

The DQVII russian town left me so emotionally empty that to this moment I still have to finish the game (I'm at the endgame... I think). Honestly it's one of my favorite stories in any media.

Anyway, the series is great, and I have played I, II, IV (the DS, 'cause the PAL translation) and right now I'm playing III and (sometimes) V. I feel bad to start the series this year.

By the way, III is fantastic, a truly a hilarious game which is so self-aware about tropes that literally this happen at the game.

ldj6wsy
x4896u6

rr3yjul
q6rzoc4

Last edited:

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know there was a community! I'll go there once I start replaying the series from the first one to VIII (I can't get IX officially where I live).

Anyway, get into the series! Also, it's important to note Sugiyama. When I recommend the series to people, I always tell them about him because I don't want people to support a series without knowing about its composer being a terrible human being. But that's just me.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard for me to go back and play dated games after experiencing newer ones, especially since these are very long rpgs. Visually speaking neither the originals nor their remakes look appealing at all to me, and I can't handle random encounters anymore. Just done with that altogether.

Monster animations in V are nice though.

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Need to save this thread and come back for future reference. Thanks for all your hard work OP. Maybe it's time to work on getting the spinoff games in there too?

I only ever played/finished DQ1 and stopped along the way in 2. I may have to remedy that by putting some batteries in my old GBC and starting DQ2 anew. One day I'll take the plunge and burn through all the mainline games.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still miffed that X was an online title instead of offline. They could have called it something else... Now I have a hole in my collection. I don't play mmorpga but I might have tried this one. I feel the same about FF XI and XIV to be fair.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Thanks for the write-up, OP. It was Dragon Quest Heroes a few years back that kind kickstarted my absolute adoration for this series and has inspired me to go back and try and play as many of them as possible. I currently own all of the mainline series on one platform or another with the exceptions of IV and IX.

My personal first foray into the series was DQVIII on PS2, and while I did enjoy it, I never finished it (quit at about 30 hours in). I did eventually go back and snatch a copy of DQVII for PSone as well, but again I never finished it.

Looking forward to DQXI with a ton of hype right now. Loved DQ Heroes 2 and DQ Builders in recent years as well. Just love the style at this point, and I hope to go back and actually play all of the classics that I've accumulated since.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why it is so hard for the Western gamers to get into this amazing IP, I really wish it was more popular since I'll forever miss the wonderful DQ X :(

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I think way too many JRPGs wallow in teenage melodrama so DQ is a great breath of fresh air for me. They just radiate charm. But a lot of the vignettes do get emotionally heavy.

Yeah, DQ is the one JRPG series that I no longer feel embarrassed to play. It fits my "less is more" philosophy perfectly in terms of the way it is written.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why it is so hard for the Western gamers to get into this amazing IP, I really wish it was more popular since I'll forever miss the wonderful DQ X :(

There is years and years of commentary (most likely from people who haven't even played the series) about how grindy and generic Dragon Quest is. It doesn't surprise me that people don't give it a shot.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
It's hard for me to go back and play dated games after experiencing newer ones, especially since these are very long rpgs. Visually speaking neither the originals nor their remakes look appealing at all to me, and I can't handle random encounters anymore. Just done with that altogether.

Monster animations in V are nice though.
That's too bad. Can't relate, personally. I love going back to old games.
Yeah, DQ is the one JRPG series that I no longer feel embarrassed to play. It fits my "less is more" philosophy perfectly in terms of the way it is written.
Yup, exactly.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon "Warrior" was the first RPG that I played on the NES. The first console RPG I had played in fact, unless you count something like Adventure as a legitimate RPG. Played the second as well, but didn't find it nearly as interesting, but then had a blast with the third and especially the fourth. Didn't even realize until years later that it happened to be the Japanese favorite "Dragon Quest". DQVIII is probably tied for my favorite JRPG of all time too, so hopefully the upcoming game can recapture some of that magic.

edit: I see the reviews are now rolling in. One of them calls it "Video game comfort food", haha.

My recommendation would be
DQ8 - DS remake
DQ8, I haven't played the remake, but I've heard nothing but praise for it.

Only if you can't play the original, or really just want a portable version. The music of the PS2 version > DS QoL changes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If someone can afford it, or they *need* 3D to play a Dragon Quest. I can't recommend DQ5 remake on PS2 enough, it's a stellar game, very charming too, and it has the orchestral soundtrack

I may not have played the games but I've not missed out on the symphonic suites. Sugiyama composes some great classical music the quality of which you seldom find outside this series.

Out of recent JRPG releases Joe Hisaishi did some good work for Ni No Kuni.

Deleted member 12162

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad a thread like this exists! Dragon Quest is one series that's been stuck in my head ever since my childhood. I remember playing Dragon Warrior III and it was insanely difficult. Never got to finish it. Years later, I got to DQV and finished that. Long after that, I played through DQVII on the 3DS. That game was long, but I enjoyed it! DQVIII is next up on my list!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who loved DQ4 on the NES, I was incredibly disappointed with the DS remake. The original game had really good gameplay balance but they threw that all out and made the DS remake incredibly easy.

My recommendation would be
DQ1 - Original or skip
DQ2 - Original or skip
DQ3 - Original
DQ4 - Original
DQ5 - DS remake
DQ6 - Original
DQ7 - DS remake
DQ8 - DS remake
DQ9 - Only one version
DQ11 - PC (best performance) or Switch (portable)

I think DQ1 & 2 are really only worth playing in their historical context; yeah, the remakes might be technically better, but not enough to make them actually good games by today's standards. The main reason to play them these days IMO is nostalgia or historical curiosity so go with the originals.

DQ3/4/6, I recommend the original versions since the remakes mess up the gameplay balance by making them much easier.

DQ5, I recommend the DS remake since the original game had a 3 character party limit which is ludicrously small in a game that's all about recruiting a bunch of monster allies.

DQ7, I haven't played the remake, but I can only imagine it's better than the original (I really didn't care for DQ7 on PS1).

DQ8, I haven't played the remake, but I've heard nothing but praise for it.

DQ11, I've only played the PS4 version, but unless they messed up the PC port, I imagine it'll be the best place to play if you have a good computer (looking forward to short loads times courtesy of my SSD). Switch version isn't coming out soon, but if it's a good port, it'll be nice for the portability.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Ah good! An excuse to post one of my personal favorite parts of my NES collection!

Absolutely wonderful games. Super excited for XI

c7vjpmN.jpg

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic write-up, man, very insightful and fun to read. I'm still catching up with the series, so the summaries and platform recommendations are appreciated.

I only became a fan of these last year and it quickly became possibly my second favorite JRPG series. I'm one of those who had tried to get into it countless times in the past with multiple entries, but last year I finally "got it" by simply looking into the most basic entry: the first game (GBC version). I was always trying later games like V, VIII and IX, but turns out DQ1 served as a perfect, compact taste of most of what the series has to offer. It's worth noting that I first had to play (and love!) Builders on Vita to regain interest tho, I strongly recommend it as a less conventional starting point.

What resonates the most with me in this series is its cute, charming aesthetics, the sometimes bold and surprising story elements (yes, these can be quite subversive and even dark at times) and the perfectly crafted nature of their design. DQ games are such tightly designed and consistent experiences, people pick on them for being too "traditional", but they actually stick to their guns for good reason, the core is just GREAT, and as a matter of fact, in my experience with I through V, I've been constantly surprised at how many innovations these had so early into the history of the genre; stuff it's commonly attributed to other series, it all was done first by these, and some of these ideas I haven't seen in other games at all. DQ is all but stagnant and "safe".

As for starting points, I strongly advise starting with I. It's a fairly simple RPG you can beat in around 4-6 hours and gives a good idea of the tone and quirks of the series, but it's also part of a great trilogy with its two successors. III is probably my favorite and top 10 RPG material for me, ans its narrative is elevated heavily by having experienced I and II prior, trust me, it's worth it.

That one aside, I'd say IV and V are great options too, especially the former, since it's a more traditional experience (while still being very original in its structure). I'd also like to point out that if you're a fan of Mother/Earthbound you owe it to yourself to get into DQ, those games take HEAVILY from it and you'll be constantly amused by the similarities.

But yeah, DQ is love, and playing through these for the first time has been magical. I'm about to finish my playthrough of V DS and getting ready to skip to XI once it's out next week. Can't wait.
Seriously, it surprised me to see the world building in DQ1/2 being so impressive for its time, but I was shocked with some of the writing in III. Shortly after starting the game you go into a town and learn about the tale of a couple that eloped because their love was forbidden and man... I did not expect the rest at all. V has been hitting me hard as well, obviously.