• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Why would a slight acceleration cause a massive distance if the other ship can keep up? I'm also pretty sure they're nowhere near to going fast enough to experience relativistic effects.

Perhaps I expressed myself wrong, I was saying the accelerating at the same rate thing as an example to get my point across to explain the difference between accelerating and just maintaining velocity in space. I'm not saying they did that, just that I don't remember, but it makes sense that they need to accelerate. All I'm arguing is why the Raddus is spending fuel.

The Raddus is fleeing from The Supremacy, but not fast enough to outrun it, it will eventually run out of fuel because it's not just coasting and even if it was, it would run out of fuel eventually.

Everything else, yeah, Star Wars usually isn't bothered with being exactly scientifically accurate lol All I'm saying is that just because it's in space, it doesn't mean it doesn't need to spend fuel to accelerate.

Edit: Also about the shuttles to Canto, a) they were already fueled maybe? Don't remember seeing them fueling the ship. And b) it's not like that was part of the plan was it? It's not like Holdo was factoring in that flight in her fuel reserves. But honestly, this is a level of nitpicking that I absolutely do not care about. Just wanted to talk about the accelerating and fuel thing :p
What, are they accelerating half a percent an hour or something? And somehow the Tie fighters aren't zipping ahead of them? They aren't accelerating. That means gaining speed. It is clearly portrayed that holding their maximum speed is sucking up fuel.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Snoke literally doesn't bat an eye at the destruction of starkiller base and we are shown a huge army stationed there. There is no drastic change in strength. You are literally arguing that because we are not shown a fleet in TFA that the best assumption the audience should've made is that it doesn't exist.
Hux seems to care, he goes and runs to tell Snoke about it, kind of hard to tell what snoke's feelings are supposed to be since he's a weird cgi hologram monster. (Also this is before Hux is turned into a complete joke)

At the end of TLJ the remaining rebels including Leia are laughing and smiling even though everyone just died, so I guess if in the opening of TROS the rebels essentially take over the galaxy with a giant military that comes out of nowhere in another week that would be cool. Every movie we can just have the control of the galaxy switch back and forth in the opening with the use of previously unseen forces!
"The FO, aka the giant army that had the resources to decimate an entire system of planets, with the destruction of their base not making them bat an eye, ehhhhh, these guys probably don't also have a fleet, and thus the part where the characters aren't surprised by their fleet is a contradiction due to this conclusion I am making."

It just makes absolutely zero sense to reach that conclusion.
In TFA the only planet they shown to control is Star Killer Base, 1 planet in a story that takes place in an entire galaxy. Hux and Kylo are always on the same ship #2 and #3 in the FO have to share a ship the entire movie not really showing power. That really doesn't speak to them being that powerful. Kinda implies the opposite, that they've been spending their time and resources perfecting their super weapon since its their only chance to win. The resistance which is made up of like 30 X wings in the movie is enough to be a huge thorn in their side.

Again Hux cares and it seems to be Hux's project more then anything. Snoke is more concerned about Luke and Kylo but not concerned enough to actually send more troops to help find that map throughout the movie even though they are busy doing nothing apparently.
You are asking why they didn't do things that would lead to open war in the middle of a cold war?
Haven't read any star wars books/comics yet, ain't gonna start now to try and make sense of these movies.

The whole joke in both TFA and TLJ is no one cares about Jakku hardly the kind of place a galactic war is gonna star over and anyways Kylo/Hux are already there with 1 ship you know a couple more wouldn't hurt.

The FO already blew up the Republic before they attack the planet Maz is on so... kinda late to be worrying about open war. Again sending a couple more ships seems like a good idea.

Guarding their secret home base with the massive fleet is again something that doesn't make sense to start an open war about. Why would guarding Star Killer Base start a war but not the fleet just chilling wherever it is during TFA? And even after they destroy the Republic at the end of the film they aren't really shown to be guarding it, once again kind of late to be worrying about a cold war when they just nuked 5 planets.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Hux seems to care, he goes and runs to tell Snoke about it, kind of hard to tell what snoke's feelings are supposed to be since he's a weird cgi hologram monster. (Also this is before Hux is turned into a complete joke)
You literally just named an example of Hux being a complete joke. 😂

At the end of TLJ the remaining rebels including Leia are laughing and smiling even though everyone just died
Uh no, amongst the cheers, we're literally given one final conversation between the protagonist and the old guard.
tumblr_p5jyonpCtY1rp74xfo4_500.gif

tumblr_p45v6x121R1x0dc3yo1_500.gifv

n TFA the only planet they shown to control is Star Killer Base, 1 planet in a story that takes place in an entire galaxy. Hux and Kylo are always on the same ship #2 and #3 in the FO have to share a ship the entire movie not really showing power. That really doesn't speak to them being that powerful.
The giant space station speaks to them being powerful. You really think they had built that and nothing else in the middle of a cold war??
Again Hux cares and it seems to be Hux's project more then anything. Snoke is more concerned about Luke and Kylo but not concerned enough to actually send more troops to help find that map throughout the movie even though they are busy doing nothing apparently.
We are again, presented with a cold war until the base attacks. We literally have spies and collaborators shown in the film multiple times before the attack and that arguably is what leads to the attack in t
Haven't read any star wars books/comics yet, ain't gonna start now to try and make sense of these movies.
You don't have to read books or comics to see that they're in the middle of a cold war.

The whole joke in both TFA and TLJ is no one cares about Jakku hardly the kind of place a galactic war is gonna star over and anyways Kylo/Hux are already there with 1 ship you know a couple more wouldn't hurt.

The FO already blew up the Republic before they attack the planet Maz is on so... kinda late to be worrying about open war. Again sending a couple more ships seems like a good idea.
They blew up the Republic on their war to attack the planet to capture the droid that would lead them to Skywalker. Multitasking is a novel concept.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
I really hope nobody complaining about "Where was the First Order fleet?" and "How can the First Order be powerful if a few ships are causing them problems?" likes the OT after seeing a fleet of Star Destroyers and a Super Star Destroyer in Empire. There were no fleets guarding the Death Star, but in the next two movies, the Empire has limitless resources and doesn't miss a beat after their super weapon is destroyed. Why is it an issue that the First Order, which we've seen has legions of troops, probably has those troops in ships?

A smaller army overcoming a larger, more powerful army is a staple in God knows how many stories. You don't watch many movies where the good guys are more powerful than the bad guys or equally matched. A few X-Wings took down the super weapon of the Empire, and far fewer ships overcame a larger Empire fleet in Return of the Jedi. Untrained Luke, who got his ass kicked in Empire but was sent back to face Vader again, knocks him down and cuts off his arm and could kill him. That doesn't mean Vader's not powerful.

Last edited: