• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
this game features jon "jontron" "you can't make the argument that whites should be okay with them becoming a minority in the country their ancestors built if it doesn't apply to other countries" "what is it that's so offensive about white people saying they would like to preserve their demographic majority?" jafari

so no thanks

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I got this as part of humble monthly since I was avoiding it for reasons stated above

Having played it, I honestly don't see the appeal? It's cute, but it's so messy. Like, there was no obvious direction and it was being weird for the sake of weird.

Even if you're a "separate art from the artist" kinda person I dunno if it's worth picking up

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For y'all who have played this, did you enjoy it?

I don't have any nostalgia for this sort of platformer, but I thought it was alright.

It feels like they put significantly more effort into the first half of the game, but I didn't really have any problems with it overall. The only part I didn't really like as much was the final area of the game, which felt so empty to the point I'm not sure if it was by design or just rushed out.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Well, this just makes sense from a business perspective, the game being a platformer means that it most likely will sell better on the Switch (it still makes the dev's previous statements pretty silly though).

I just wish the game looked... better. Based from what I've heard, the gameplay is sound but I never particularly liked the art direction, it always seemed like a bunch of assets thrown together without much cohesion to me (In fact, I would say that Yooka-Laylee has a more appealing artstyle despite that its gameplay is flawed).

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
this game features jon "jontron" "you can't make the argument that whites should be okay with them becoming a minority in the country their ancestors built if it doesn't apply to other countries" "what is it that's so offensive about white people saying they would like to preserve their demographic majority?" jafari

so no thanks

Yep pretty much.

Don't really want to dive too deep into this but I just can't condone this. Him still being in the game after all this time is just reprehensible to me. Playtonic did the absolutely right thing.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
I got this as part of humble monthly since I was avoiding it for reasons stated above

Having played it, I honestly don't see the appeal? It's cute, but it's so messy. Like, there was no obvious direction and it was being weird for the sake of weird.

Even if you're a "separate art from the artist" kinda person I dunno if it's worth picking up

Same here. Was really into it for the first the worlds but the game felt increasingly more rushed the further I went along. The movement is REALLY fun but the levels are just whatever.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
The game looks great, I think I'm going to finally pick this up. There really is a lack of great 3d platformers.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, hard pass on this one.
Not like I need excuses to skip games on switch when backlog is already full anyway.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's blasphemy to say, but I liked it it more than Mario Odyssey, honestly. I felt it had a lot more charm. Hat Girl is just the best. Also I adore the soundtrack:

It wishes to be half as good as Odyssey. Borderline terrible camera, mediocre level design and nonsense hitbox detection are some of the issues I had with it. I got it as I'm a big fan of 3D platformer but it didn't even remotely lived up to the hype.
Also, good to see people spreading the message that the creator is an ass. Not removing JonTron from the game is not even remotely the worst thing he did.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Jesus people, I hate JonTron too, unsubbed from him and stopped supporting him after all the scandal, but the fact that one (1) minor character that speaks like two lines once in the entire game is voiced by him, which yes, is a bad thing, doesn't make me boycott the game just like no one of you are boycotting Square-Enix despite the fact that they use music from a composer who wants LGTB people to die and is a war crimes denier. Or is that different? It doesn't count for some reason or what?

Like don't support the game if you feel that's the right thing to do, that's fine, what they did IS wrong, but allow people to discuss the game.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus people, I hate JonTron too, unsubbed from him and stopped supporting him after all the scandal, but the fact that one (1) minor character that speaks like two lines once in the entire game is voiced by him, which yes, is a bad thing, doesn't make me boycott the game just like no one of you are boycotting Square-Enix because they use music from a composer who wants LGTB people to die. Or is that different?
stop! you're not helping yourself right now. everybody has a right to vote for there money and that's what they're doing, also did you miss the ddos that the creator did to someone on the last page?

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
stop! you're not helping yourself right now. everybody has a right to vote for there money and that's what they're doing, also did you miss the ddos that the creator did to someone on the last page?
It's one thing to vote with your wallet, and it's a completely different thing to derail every thread, which is what I'm complaining about. Imagine if every thread for every Square-Enix game was derailed because of that one composer. Which is a way bigger role than a cameo btw.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Jesus people, I hate JonTron too, unsubbed from him and stopped supporting him after all the scandal, but the fact that one (1) minor character that speaks like two lines once in the entire game is voiced by him, which yes, is a bad thing, doesn't make me boycott the game just like no one of you are boycotting Square-Enix despite the fact that they use music from a composer who wants LGTB people to die and is a war crimes denial. Or is that different?

Like don't support the game if you feel that's the right thing to do, that's fine, what they did IS wrong, but allow people to discuss the game.
Oh don't worry Dragon Quest is off my radar too.
There's more reasons than just Jontron to hate on the devs in this case too.
Please don't forget/ignore that the lead dev is a scumbag and they refused to take JonTron out of the game.

Once is happenstance, more you can form a pattern.
I don't think this thread was just "fawn over the game" thread too.
It's announcement thread, people react to the announcement.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Jesus people, I hate JonTron too, unsubbed from him and stopped supporting him after all the scandal, but the fact that one (1) minor character that speaks like two lines once in the entire game is voiced by him, which yes, is a bad thing, doesn't make me boycott the game just like no one of you are boycotting Square-Enix despite the fact that they use music from a composer who wants LGTB people to die and is a war crimes denier. Or is that different? It doesn't count for some reason or what?

um, once i heard about it i decided to boycott dragon quest xi

if jontron has such a tiny role, it should have been very easy to listen to criticism and remove him from the game

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
It's one thing to vote with your wallet, and it's a completely different thing to derail every thread, which is what I'm complaining about. Imagine if every thread for every Square-Enix game was derailed because of that one composer. Which is a way bigger role than a cameo btw.
Are... you just ignoring the whole "lead developer doxxed somebody" bit or...

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

Oh man, Jon Tron is the only reason why people avoid this game...

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i mean if you want an echo chamber about the games you're interested in, maybe try reddit or something

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Are... you just ignoring the whole "lead developer doxxed somebody" bit or...
I had no idea about that. He is indeed a dick.
but he can't hand wave away that as a minor part.
What the fuck? I'm not handwaving anything.

The lead developer is a dick and the fact that jontron is in the game is a very bad thing. I never said the opposite. In fact, fuck every JonTron fan on Earth. If you, the person reading, like or defend JonTron, fuck you.

But whatever. I regret making this thread lol. Mods, please close it, as I asked in my report

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

IIRC the OT for the original Hat in Time release was fine, this is an announcement thread so it kinda makes sense that people are saying whether or not they're going to buy the game that's just been announced

As for the Dragon Quest example, plenty of us are boycotting DQ11 but it has become apparent that Sugiyama has pretty heavy ties to Dragon Quest in such a way that it's practically impossible for Square Enix to fire him, which is why you won't see Life is Strange threads "derailed". Not to mention the fact all DQ decisions are made in Japan and no one there is going to listen to a random predominantly English forum.

The situation here is incredibly different. Unless Jontron somehow entered a contract with the creators of Hat in Time (which is unlikely considering he was booted from Yooka Laylee) there's no reason for the devs to not even make a statement. It just comes across as cowardly. And that's not even bringing up the other major issue mentioned in this thread.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heard it's pretty great, might grab a cheap copy down the line on PS4 and wouldn't mind if they threw it on plus at all.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

Im sorry that you have a problem with people having a passionate moral stance on this.

I cannot in a clear conscience support a game that supports a man that shit talked my country, claims my people are the cancer killing america and would rather want me and my people dead.

But hey, i guess you can, so go you.

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
So much for "A Hat in Time is not coming to Nintendo Switch"

also I was going to link the tweet but they deleted it LMAO
a23.png

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Yay! I've always been interested in this game and the Switch feels like the perfect console to compliment it.
Fuck Jontron though, can we not have mod support to mute him out? He's probably only in it for a minute, but I despise that guy.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I had no idea about that. He is indeed a dick.

What the fuck? I'm not handwaving anything.

The lead developer is a dick and the fact that jontron is in the game is a very bad thing. I never said the opposite. In fact, fuck every JonTron fan on Earth. If you, the person reading, like or defend JonTron, fuck you.

But whatever. I regret making this thread lol. Mods, please close it, as I asked in my report

No need for all this. Let people voice their opinions. Seems you even learned something you didn't know today

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yay! I've always been interested in this game and the Switch feels like the perfect console to compliment it.
Fuck Jontron though, can we not have mod support to mute him out? He's probably only in it for a minute, but I despise that guy.
Funnily enough you can probably do that on PC but no chance of this happening on Switch.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
The lead developer is a dick and the fact that jontron is in the game is a very bad thing. I never said the opposite. In fact, fuck every JonTron fan on Earth. If you, the person reading, like or defend JonTron, fuck you
Cool your godamn jets, you could've just left it at the bolded part.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I wish I could say I enjoyed the game, but it felt really janky, and it wore its budget on its sleeve. The camera is a nightmare to work with and maneuver (often parking itself in disadvantageous positions), and the controls are graceless and sloppy — two cardinal sins in a platforming title. It never felt cohesive to me; it's more like a bunch of disparate parts (or influences) cobbled together into a Frankenstein monster of a game that manages to mask some of the grotesqueness with a bit of charm.

On a platform that isn't bereft of great platformers, I honestly can't recommend it.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
No need for all this. Let people voice their opinions. Seems you even learned something you didn't know today
Yes, I did. I'm still annoyed at the people who basically stealth-called me a nazi or something because of the whole jontron thing and because of not answering about the doxxing stuff (of which I had no idea) in 5 seconds, and I still want this thread closed
Cool your godamn jets, you could've just left it at the bolded part.
No, I stand by what I said. I want to make my opinion on Jontron very clear

Status
Not open for further replies.