• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
518660-AHatInTime.jpg

I didn't seen an OT or anything for the Switch release of A Hat in Time, which dropped on the eShop today. All I really want to know is how the port fared from a performance standpoint.

I've been holding out for a Switch version of this game since forever, but poor performance will ultimately mean that I won't support it. I'm fine with a stable 30fps with good framepacing, but if there are fluctuations everywhere then it'll pretty much ruin a game like this.

Given that the game runs on UE3 and has proven to be notoriously buggy and under-performing on other consoles, I fear the worst for this Switch version. If it is indeed more polished than the other console ports, then this Switch release is a no-brainer for the handheld aspect alone. I love 3D platformers, and playing them on a handheld is awesome.

So, to everyone who's gotten the game so far... how does it look/perform?

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm...

Just checking it by eye (even with my poor eyesight), but that resolution looks somewhat, fairly low. And that's docked footage, no?

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think the devs said 720p docked

Oh wow. For some reason, almost seems lower than that. I know that UE3 (provided they're still using that for the Switch port) can be difficult to port to Switch, but given the frame pacing and frame rate issues and at that resolution, that's unfortunate.

Any idea on the portable side?

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. For some reason, almost seems lower than that. I know that UE3 (provided they're still using that for the Switch port) can be difficult to port to Switch, but given the frame pacing and frame rate issues and at that resolution, that's unfortunate.

Any idea on the portable side?
i think i read somewhere around 700p not sure

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

In handheld mode the resolution sits slightly lower, but close enough to 720p that things look really nice

Ok. Looks like they don't know what the handheld resolution is.

They aren't consistent with how good it looks either. In the part you quoted they say handheld mode looks "really nice," but later on they say "Even in handheld mode, the otherwise delightful 2D art introducing every "act" looks sub native resolution and when blown up on an even larger panel in docked mode, this is disappointing to look at."

Personally I'd look to other sources for impressions of the game's performance.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I've had my eye on this for some time. However, I've read three reviews and they all mention long load times and framrate drops.

I might still take a punt, but it's a shame it seems to be a rough release of a rather great game. Hmmm...

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
What a shame. 😞

I could just play it on PC, but I really prefer to play something like this on my Switch these days.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Was really looking forward to this but everywhere I'm seeing people say it has inconsistent framerate and shit loading times. A shame. I'll wait for a patch.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I was going to buy it physical day 1, but now...

Although it worries me that it may become hard to get in the future

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I just played it for about an hour. I ran around the first level for forty minutes or so in docked mode before completing the objective and then switched to handheld for the next one.

It's rough. The framerate dips a lot. Anything that isn't in your immediate vicinity (collectibles, NPCs, details like birds hanging out) animate at a much lower framerate, which is always a pet peeve of mine. The framerate feels like a solid 30fps as long as your in a small enclosed area with no other characters, but the first level is pretty open and only has a handful of areas like that. Anytime there's anything going on the framerate is all over the place. Even if there's not a lot going on around you it stutters noticeably if you swing the camera around too quickly.

This is my first time playing the game so I don't have any point of comparison, but it feels like there's missing animations. The worst I've seen is a cannon in Mafia Town that acts as a shortcut. You jump in and it shoots you through a set of doors, through the center of the level, and out through another set of doors. It seems like there should be an animation of the doors being blown open but instead your character just clips through them. Maybe it's like that in the PC version too, but it looks lame.

There's a lot of little things that make it seems like the devs just didn't put a lot of care into the port. The game has a title card when the game starts up and before you enter the first level and it looks like they used a crappy low-res jpeg, it's just a static 2D image and it's still pixelated and blurry. The hourglasses you collect (they seem to be this game's version of stars in Mario or puzzle pieces in Banjo) look like they animate at a really low fps even when you're standing right next to them. Some areas feel like they could have used some more work. There's a little scene in the first level where some characters are lighting off fireworks in a plaza and the framerate just completely goes to shit there.

Everything looks noticeably worse in handheld mode. Some games look sharper in handheld, but this is definitely, definitely not native res and it shows. Aliasing is way more noticeable (and it's already not great docked). If you platform up to a vantage point everything in the distance is a blurry mess. Fifteen minutes of experimentation was enough for me, I'll definitely be playing docked.

All that I'm excited to keep playing. The dialogue is charming, the art direction is good even if the technical side of things is disappointing, and the controls feel great so far. Maybe things change later but I'm getting an early Psychonauts vibe so far where it's more about exploring than precision platforming, so hopefully the stuttering won't make the game frustrating to play. I don't regret buying it, I've been curious to play it for a long time and I don't currently own anything else to play it on, but if you do have options I would strongly suggest you take advantage of them.

Edit: Load times are also very long, but it didn't bother me. It loads when you start the game up and when you enter a level, I didn't time it but I would guess it took somewhere around 45 seconds each time. Not ideal but once you're in a level there's no loading.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Man, is it really that bad? Even after watching the GameExplain videos, I didn't feel it was terrible (like mega-slowdowns or anything). That said, the loading times are concerning.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Seems like co-op is now single screen instead of splitscreen as it is on PC. Disappointing, but I guess necessary. (not entirely sure, it could be an option)

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
Is Jafari still in the game? I'm not saying anyone should do anything but for myself, there's no way I'm buying it.

I did a search but after a quick look couldn't find anything except the initial controversy.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I just played it for about an hour. I ran around the first level for forty minutes or so in docked mode before completing the objective and then switched to handheld for the next one.

It's rough. The framerate dips a lot. Anything that isn't in your immediate vicinity (collectibles, NPCs, details like birds hanging out) animate at a much lower framerate, which is always a pet peeve of mine. The framerate feels like a solid 30fps as long as your in a small enclosed area with no other characters, but the first level is pretty open and only has a handful of areas like that. Anytime there's anything going on the framerate is all over the place. Even if there's not a lot going on around you it stutters noticeably if you swing the camera around too quickly.

This is my first time playing the game so I don't have any point of comparison, but it feels like there's missing animations. The worst I've seen is a cannon in Mafia Town that acts as a shortcut. You jump in and it shoots you through a set of doors, through the center of the level, and out through another set of doors. It seems like there should be an animation of the doors being blown open but instead your character just clips through them. Maybe it's like that in the PC version too, but it looks lame.

There's a lot of little things that make it seems like the devs just didn't put a lot of care into the port. The game has a title card when the game starts up and before you enter the first level and it looks like they used a crappy low-res jpeg, it's just a static 2D image and it's still pixelated and blurry. The hourglasses you collect (they seem to be this game's version of stars in Mario or puzzle pieces in Banjo) look like they animate at a really low fps even when you're standing right next to them. Some areas feel like they could have used some more work. There's a little scene in the first level where some characters are lighting off fireworks in a plaza and the framerate just completely goes to shit there.

Everything looks noticeably worse in handheld mode. Some games look sharper in handheld, but this is definitely, definitely not native res and it shows. Aliasing is way more noticeable (and it's already not great docked). If you platform up to a vantage point everything in the distance is a blurry mess. Fifteen minutes of experimentation was enough for me, I'll definitely be playing docked.

All that I'm excited to keep playing. The dialogue is charming, the art direction is good even if the technical side of things is disappointing, and the controls feel great so far. Maybe things change later but I'm getting an early Psychonauts vibe so far where it's more about exploring than precision platforming, so hopefully the stuttering won't make the game frustrating to play. I don't regret buying it, I've been curious to play it for a long time and I don't currently own anything else to play it on, but if you do have options I would strongly suggest you take advantage of them.

Edit: Load times are also very long, but it didn't bother me. It loads when you start the game up and when you enter a level, I didn't time it but I would guess it took somewhere around 45 seconds each time. Not ideal but once you're in a level there's no loading.
Thanks for this. Went from a day-one purchase for me to not touching it with a ten-foot pole.

I'm sad, but I simply can't support this.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Something about the way the dev said that the game was never coming to Switch at time kinda annoyed me...Not about my plastic console but idk, just the arrogance.

Game looks like ass, I'd rather play Scrat's Nutty adventure at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm. The reports regarding the performance are a bit concerning, since I do want to play this game.

I might just get the PC version instead if the general consensus is that it's the much better version, which is a shame since I'd love to play this on the Switch.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something else to note, thinking on it since Jontron was brought up: There was some... issues that went on behind the scenes during the course of this games development that I argue were worse than Jontron being included in the game (though I feel this is still an issue, for the record). I seem to recall issues with the development leader and stuff, particularly how toxic he was to work with.

Unfortunately, because of the Jontron controversy and the Switch "controversy" of him stating of not being ported, it seems all information I used to find on the matter online or otherwise has completely disappeared to any capacity. I know I even re-tweeted and commented on some of the stuff on Twitter but searching my time line, I'm finding nothing...

I did reach out to a friend and they did at least remember some stuff, just nothing in detail. If anyone can dig up anything, I feel some of this information is incredibly important but I'm legit having a hard time finding it.

I'm still really unsure if I wanna support it (despite my initial inquiry earlier in the thread, by the way, regarding performance and stuff) because of the multitude of things that came up, both the Jontron thing and the developmental woes.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was really looking forward to this but everywhere I'm seeing people say it has inconsistent framerate and shit loading times. A shame. I'll wait for a patch.
Dont wait for patch, there wont be any or maybe just small ones but wont improved performance as the game run like shit even on other consoles

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Something about the way the dev said that the game was never coming to Switch at time kinda annoyed me...Not about my plastic console but idk, just the arrogance.

Game looks like ass, I'd rather play Scrat's Nutty adventure at this point.

Yeah, I'm actually really loving the game despite the issues (fully completed the first level aside from one objective I'm told I can't do yet and I've done the first objective of the second level) but the performance is definitely harder to swallow given the dev's initial attitude toward a potential Switch port. Really makes it feel like a cynical cash grab they shoved out the door.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
But sure, ignore a great game because someone has one line of dialogue.
Ah, then it would've been something trivial for the dev to fix then. It's interesting that they didn't.

And yeah, while we can't avoid racists at every turn, avoiding racists that have a giant platform or amount of celebrity/notoriety is pretty simple to do. You don't have to, but it's worth letting people know.

Last edited:

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't know JonTron was in this game and when I Googled his name to learn more I learned his middle name is Aryan. Wow!

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Something else to note, thinking on it since Jontron was brought up: There was some... issues that went on behind the scenes during the course of this games development that I argue were worse than Jontron being included in the game (though I feel this is still an issue, for the record). I seem to recall issues with the development leader and stuff, particularly how toxic he was to work with.

Unfortunately, because of the Jontron controversy and the Switch "controversy" of him stating of not being ported, it seems all information I used to find on the matter online or otherwise has completely disappeared to any capacity. I know I even re-tweeted and commented on some of the stuff on Twitter but searching my time line, I'm finding nothing...

I did reach out to a friend and they did at least remember some stuff, just nothing in detail. If anyone can dig up anything, I feel some of this information is incredibly important but I'm legit having a hard time finding it.

I'm still really unsure if I wanna support it (despite my initial inquiry earlier in the thread, by the way, regarding performance and stuff) because of the multitude of things that came up, both the Jontron thing and the developmental woes.
I think you mixed up a little bit; it's probably not from the behind the scenes of this game, but something that happened around 2011-2012. The director of the game used to be a Team Fortress 2 modder and YouTuber (going by Mecha the Slag back then), and during that time he was accused of stealing assets from other artists. That YouTube channel is long gone, but you can look things up by searching that name.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you mixed up a little bit; it's probably not from the behind the scenes of this game, but something that happened around 2011-2012. The director of the game used to be a Team Fortress 2 modder and YouTuber (going by Mecha the Slag back then), and during that time he was accused of stealing assets from other artists. That YouTube channel is long gone, but you can look things up by searching that name.

Maybe that's it. Though could've sworn some stuff came during the development of the game... Either way, I'll give it a look.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Sounds like PC is still the way to play. The game is a bit of a technical mess sometimes but its worth the issues sometimes. But I say that because I was playing it at 60fps (most) of the time.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like PC is still the way to play. The game is a bit of a technical mess sometimes but its worth the issues sometimes. But I say that because I was playing it at 60fps (most) of the time.
I play it on OC, but like another here, I have an AMD GPU, so it might not be fully optimized.

Like The Witcher 3, this is one of the Steam games in my library I wish to play on my Switch primarily. I really am tempted to get it as footage I've seen hasn't dipped as bad as...a particular cutscene in The Witcher 3 or RIME levels of unoptimized, but then again there are issues with those very long loading screens (I kinda wish developers have access to Switch's "overclocked" profile for faster loading).

I'm still waiting to hear other impressions but I'm still veering over getting it, at least over Daemon X Machina.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I play it on OC, but like another here, I have an AMD GPU, so it might not be fully optimized.

Like The Witcher 3, this is one of the Steam games in my library I wish to play on my Switch primarily. I really am tempted to get it as footage I've seen hasn't dipped as bad as...a particular cutscene in The Witcher 3 or RIME levels of unoptimized, but then again there are issues with those very long loading screens (I kinda wish developers have access to Switch's "overclocked" profile for faster loading).

I'm still waiting to hear other impressions but I'm still veering over getting it, at least over Daemon X Machina.
They do have access to the overclock profile. Only Nintendo uses it through

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those considering the PC version, I have been playing it for the past two weeks and it runs great. Looks really beautiful too. I'm on a 1080 and I haven't seen a single issue.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
For those considering the PC version, I have been playing it for the past two weeks and it runs great. Looks really beautiful too. I'm on a 1080 and I haven't seen a single issue.
This sounds petty, but my disappointment with how the Switch version turned out makes me just wanna forgo the game entirely. I've been able to purchase this on PC for years, but the Switch version really had potential to be the best overall version due to the form factor.

After holding out all this time for an under-performing Switch release, now I kind of feel like saying forget the whole thing.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This sounds petty, but my disappointment with how the Switch version turned out makes me just wanna forgo the game entirely. I've been able to purchase this on PC for years, but the Switch version really had potential to be the best overall version due to the form factor.

After holding out all this time for an under-performing Switch release, now I kind of feel like saying forget the whole thing.

Don't. It really is an awesome experience.

Elhav

Dec 19, 2017

Don't. It's a fantastic platformer. Has charm in spades and just fun.

I think it would probably still be fun on the Switch, despite the performance issues. It's also pretty cheap for the PC now, so it's not like waiting for the Switch version was completely useless.